Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

1 hour ago, Furious Styles said:

it’s certainly not worth the £75 you’d pay in the summer months. 
Parking was a shambles and the pace of play was awful. 4 hours for a 2 ball. 
Im glad I’ve played it. £30 was worth it for the views alone on the back 9.

I'm in this camp, too. Nothing outstanding.

Regarding 2-ball time, it's unfair to criticise a course for that.

You can only play as fast as what is in front. If your behind an outing of 4-balls that's your pace.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola
On 03/11/2020 at 10:25, hmfc_liam06 said:

Played the Eden @ St Andrews yesterday. Cracking day for it albeit very windy. Really enjoyed the course, good value at £39.

Regarding St Andrews Links, was all play off the turf - no need for mats as yet? 

Samuel Camazzola
On 03/11/2020 at 10:25, hmfc_liam06 said:

Played the Eden @ St Andrews yesterday. Cracking day for it albeit very windy. Really enjoyed the course, good value at £39.

Regarding St Andrews Links, was all play off the turf - no need for mats as yet? 

2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Mats are starting 1st Dec this year instead of 1st Nov.

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Perfect. I have a bit of credit on a Links card so looking to get a couple of games there. 

10 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I used to raise the turf an inch with my club or put my ball just in front of a diver. It usually stopped my ball dead on the green. 

Note. I haven't played for over 8 years. So my memory might be off. 

Playing golf with Martin Boyle?

Took 2 hours to do just 8 holes today. What is it with slow seniors joining up in groups of 4 and hitting off at around 12:00? Impossible to get 18 holes in before it gets dark with these inconsiderate ****s in groups ahead.

13 hours ago, kila said:

Took 2 hours to do just 8 holes today. What is it with slow seniors joining up in groups of 4 and hitting off at around 12:00? Impossible to get 18 holes in before it gets dark with these inconsiderate ****s in groups ahead.

Harsh on the auld yins, were they decent players.

Samuel Camazzola
20 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Did you see the Castle Course has been extended for another month? 'Season closing' package has been introduced which includes breakfast, golf and soup/sandwich. Good deal. 

44 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Did you see the Castle Course has been extended for another month? 'Season closing' package has been introduced which includes breakfast, golf and soup/sandwich. Good deal. 

They won't be struggling as such but looks like they are trying to make up for the lack of tourists - no mats, extending Castle Course season...

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

They won't be struggling as such but looks like they are trying to make up for the lack of tourists - no mats, extending Castle Course season...

Spoke to them today as more availability being made due to tier 3 residents cancelling due to travel restrictions. Good time to play it. 

On 04/11/2020 at 10:45, Samuel Camazzola said:

For that neck of the woods, very little beats Gullane 2 & 3 for value for money at visitor rates. 

Love Gullane 3 . is the pub/hotel still open there, did a great lunch.

Samuel Camazzola
21 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Love Gullane 3 . is the pub/hotel still open there, did a great lunch.

I've not played it since 2014. Our resident member will be able to confirm. 

I believe there is a new clubhouse/visitor hub being built though. 

33 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Also a "state of the art" short game area :thumbsup:

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, merrymac said:

Also a "state of the art" short game area :thumbsup:

I'll be back soon. 👍 

Out of interest, were any of the final three holes on Gullane 3 modified? When I last played, there was chat of changes being applied to these holes.

9 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Harsh on the auld yins, were they decent players.

Maybe a tad harsh to be fair, but they should try get the ones who struggle to get round quickly out in the morning and keep the afternoon tees for golfers who can do it in 3 hours while we fight the early sunset.

There was a three ball of quite mobile seniors behind us who were getting fed up too and ended up walking off after 13 holes. Taking over 4 hours for a round in winter is really shite.

34 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'll be back soon. 👍 

Out of interest, were any of the final three holes on Gullane 3 modified? When I last played, there was chat of changes being applied to these holes.

Sorry don't know? 

Only read about the short game area in that fine publication The East Lothian Courier.😀

I play a bit further round the coast.

Samuel Camazzola
10 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Sorry don't know? 

Only read about the short game area in that fine publication The East Lothian Courier.😀

I play a bit further round the coast.

👍 I'll find out in due course. 

1 hour ago, kila said:

Maybe a tad harsh to be fair, but they should try get the ones who struggle to get round quickly out in the morning and keep the afternoon tees for golfers who can do it in 3 hours while we fight the early sunset.

There was a three ball of quite mobile seniors behind us who were getting fed up too and ended up walking off after 13 holes. Taking over 4 hours for a round in winter is really shite.

👍

23 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'll be back soon. 👍 

The last hole is now a par 3 - about 155yrds and with a good sized green.. 17 and 18 are the same... The new practice facility is brilliant, up there with some of the best I've seen.. We have a driving range, (free balls if you are playing), 3 quality practice putting greens (1 is members only) - a short game area for shots about 120 yrds and under and this new practice area for chipping, pitching and bunker play.  It is so much better than we used to have -  (think the video quality is not great)

Samuel Camazzola
44 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

The last hole is now a par 3 - about 155yrds and with a good sized green.. 17 and 18 are the same... The new practice facility is brilliant, up there with some of the best I've seen.. We have a driving range, (free balls if you are playing), 3 quality practice putting greens (1 is members only) - a short game area for shots about 120 yrds and under and this new practice area for chipping, pitching and bunker play.  It is so much better than we used to have -  (think the video quality is not great)

Facilities look great. 

Regarding your comment, is 16 or 18 now a par 3? You mentioned the last then stated 17 and 18 were the same. 

I fondly remember 18 as drove it regularly. Never made a 2 though! 😄 

3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Facilities look great. 

Regarding your comment, is 16 or 18 now a par 3? You mentioned the last then stated 17 and 18 were the same. 

I fondly remember 18 as drove it regularly. Never made a 2 though! 😄 

Typo - 16 is a dogleg 4, 17 par 4 and 18 now a 3!

Also - it looks better now that its finished - there is a white picket fence around the new chipping green and it is just brilliant to have it to practice on. 

The visitors clubhouse is undergoing a £1m+ renovation to bring it up to the standard expected from a premium golf destination.  As said above Number 2 and especially Number 3 offer amazing value of golf.  You can play here in December and the condition of the greens and fairways are better than half the courses in Edinburgh when they are at their best in the summer! 

Samuel Camazzola
21 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Booked to play at at Fairmont in the winter series.

Am I allowed to travel from West Lothian?

The series involves playing five rounds before the end of March so I doubt the current travel restrictions will be in place for a full five months. 

Played North Berwick this morning, possibly the most perfect November day for my first time there - +3 front 9 and level par back 9.  Doubled an early par 3 too 😩

What a layout and setting 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

In other news, saw this on Instagram...

311248A6-E684-4C0F-9BAA-B4DE7D9E3DDF.jpeg

joondalupjambo

Anyone else's club making their winter eclectic competitions counting under the new WHS? 

Lundin Golf Club is and cannot work out why as yet, email to Match and awaiting reply.  They say that in the "ethos" of the WHS we are making eclectics counting.   So question has to be is it or is it not mandatory under this new system to make all club competitions counting or is at local discreation?

Mats then an issue when they come into play.

I think Match may have jumped the gun here.

2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Anyone else's club making their winter eclectic competitions counting under the new WHS? 

Lundin Golf Club is and cannot work out why as yet, email to Match and awaiting reply.  They say that in the "ethos" of the WHS we are making eclectics counting.   So question has to be is it or is it not mandatory under this new system to make all club competitions counting or is at local discreation?

Mats then an issue when they come into play.

I think Match may have jumped the gun here.

WHS is all year round. If the course meets slope rating requirements ie is off proper tees to main greens then the club is well within their rights to make the competition counting.

Our winter competition is non-counting as a shortened hole means we don't meet the course requirements for the score to count.

joondalupjambo
16 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

WHS is all year round. If the course meets slope rating requirements ie is off proper tees to main greens then the club is well within their rights to make the competition counting.

Our winter competition is non-counting as a shortened hole means we don't meet the course requirements for the score to count.

Yeah understand and by following the ethos of the WHS, and by making eclectics counting it will perhaps encourage certain golfers to submit as many scores as possible from the off and be immediately true to the change.  The counter view by many though is why introduce this immediately in winter, on mats, on a shortened course without members being fully up to speed with all the change.  Players are still getting to grips with the new handicap index system.  Many feel that it would have been better to keep the eclectics non counting, start all the counting from next April when this new WHS has settled down and then make the winter's eclectics counting from next year on.

I can see both sides of the debate and I am not fussed either way to be honest.  What I cannot find much of is evidence of other clubs making their eclectics counting straight away and I think that is part of the problem for our members.

Pasquale for King

Looking forward to the Masters and thinking about updating my tv package with Sky so I can watch it. 
See if this guy can win it now he’s in favour of our Independence 😜

E3AFA6A5-F358-4120-AEF2-F7ED43F6F7FB.jpeg

Edited by Pasquale for King

Seymour M Hersh
21 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Amazing

Saw that on the TV last night and it's bloody tremendous. I know it's a non pressure fun knockabout but that's just ridiculous skill from Rahm. 

Samuel Camazzola
43 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

@Samuel Camazzola left your boys looking like a blue waffle in the winter league today 🤣

I thought you VW'd? 😄

Was it a home match for you and what was your result? 

I've not dared venture up there for a while as don't enjoy wading through the heavy ground. 

Headed up to The Castle Course today. Great track as always but struggled with rustiness. 

3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I thought you VW'd? 😄

Was it a home match for you and what was your result? 

I've not dared venture up there for a while as don't enjoy wading through the heavy ground. 

Headed up to The Castle Course today. Great track as always but struggled with rustiness. 

Yeah it was at home. 4-0 (my match was 4&3). Our place is soaking, most parkland is just now tbh. 

I need to get the Castle Course played.

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah it was at home. 4-0 (my match was 4&3). Our place is soaking, most parkland is just now tbh. 

I need to get the Castle Course played.

£69 deal is decent and availability has opened up due to travel restrictions. 

Good scoring. I've no idea who is part of the team. Are the A and B fixtures the same (if each club us represented by two sides)? 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

£69 deal is decent and availability has opened up due to travel restrictions. 

Good scoring. I've no idea who is part of the team. Are the A and B fixtures the same (if each club us represented by two sides)? 

A&B are both in our section.

Draw v B and beat the A's.

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

A&B are both in our section.

Draw v B and beat the A's.

Have you been fast-tracked to the A Team? 😄

2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

I played Dunbar yesterday, anyone else had a hit round there?  I'd say it's one of my favourite courses, some amazing holes!

Not yet but it's on the list for sure.

Had intended on playing Craigielaw until this travel restriction patter come in to play.

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Armageddon said:

I played Dunbar yesterday, anyone else had a hit round there?  I'd say it's one of my favourite courses, some amazing holes!

I've played it once. Enjoyed it a lot and as expected, the greens were very good. 

53 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Had intended on playing Craigielaw until this travel restriction patter come in to play.

If you're going down that way, I'd recommend playing one of the Gullane courses first. Far better value for money and more enjoyable. 👍 

5 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Played it many times, excellent course usually in pretty good nick.

Brutal back nine if you get a strong westerly

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Would agree with SC re Gullane.

Craigielaw is a bit of an acquired taste,however its probably best played in winter, as some of the run offs around the greens are brutal when its firm.:thumbsup: