Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

18 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Wee question for the folks on here, whats your preference of golf tee on par 3 holes.

I find the blue tee 18mm step height is best for myself, thoughts folks.

Smallest tee possible for irons 5-pw (orange). 2nd smallest for 4i, 3 hybrid (red), 3rd for 3 wood (blue), 4th for driver (white). 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Smallest tee possible for irons 5-pw (orange). 2nd smallest for 4i, 3 hybrid (red), 3rd for 3 wood (blue), 4th for driver (white). 

Thanks Ray.

There's a boy at my club who hits his driver (not very lofted from memory) off the deck from most tees.  I've seen him tee it up a little bit with a peg and he's a bit wild.  Superb striking with it off the deck and he's by no means a powerful hitter.  I'll sometimes try a driver from the fairway or first cut if the lie is inviting but you really have to swing smoothly and just let the clubhead lift it to get any decent flight.  Good option if you're after a chasing shot into a green.  

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Do folk still use the coloured castle tees? I don't think I've played with anyone in about 15 years who's pegged a ball up with one of those. 

2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Do folk still use the coloured castle tees? I don't think I've played with anyone in about 15 years who's pegged a ball up with one of those. 

Yep. Keeps the height easily at a consistent level without trying to eyeball it. Most of the folk I play with use them.

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Yep. Keeps the height easily at a consistent level without trying to eyeball it. Most of the folk I play with use them.

Genuinely never seen them being used for ages. 

I've only ever seen the wooden/bamboo ones in use. I thought the war on plastic had impacted these throwbacks! 😂 

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

Genuinely never seen them being used for ages. 

I've only ever seen the wooden/bamboo ones in use. I thought the war on plastic had impacted these throwbacks! 😂 

There's one of my mates who uses the wooden ones and he breaks them on every single hole. He's probably rattled his way through a few trees' worth of tees by now, not sure it's working out any more environmentally friendly. :lol: 

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, Ray Gin said:

There's one of my mates who uses the wooden ones and he breaks them on every single hole. He's probably rattled his way through a few trees' worth of tees by now, not sure it's working out any more environmentally friendly. :lol: 

I think I prefer the broken ones. 😄

10 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Really?

I use pink for my driver, but most folk I see use pink or orange for diving. Irons and others I use what's ever lying about, but very low. Or red castles if I have any.

9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I see you get bamboo ones now, about £4.50 a packet. Worth it as I think the are pretty much unbreakable.

He says, awaiting to get slaughtered over next couple of posts.:lol:

Edit:

Which means you don't need a packet, only one.:thumbsup:

Edited by Tommy Brown

Samuel Camazzola
4 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Really?

I use pink for my driver, but most folk I see use pink or orange for diving. Irons and others I use what's ever lying about, but very low. Or red castles if I have any.

I thought they were a thing of the past with only places like Sports Direct still holding stock of them. Not seen them in play for years. 

Not seen anyone use on in the Open or Masters either. 😄

58 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Red castle tee for irons and pink for driver. Also got the orange ones but feel they are just a little too high.

Feel as though I would sky it off orange. Should maybe try again.

13 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Feel as though I would sky it off orange. Should maybe try again.

Yeah done that a few times, also chipped the top of my brand new F9 driver using an orange tee. Could have cried. Obviously it was the tees fault and nothing to do with me being pish 😂

43 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Anybody seeing any WHS handicap index info on their SGU account or club website yet

Yes, mine shows up and also showing the same on howdidido.

10 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Yes, mine shows up and also showing the same on howdidido.

Cheers.  Not seeing anything.  Downloaded the app but that's not working either.  

59 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Cheers.  Not seeing anything.  Downloaded the app but that's not working either.  

Not showing on my app main screen . But if you click the 3 dots bottom right of the app you’ll see “my handicap” and it’s in there pal. 👍

Edited by Irufushi

Just now, Irufushi said:

Not showing on my app. But if you click the 3 dots bottoms right of the app you’ll see “my handicap” and it’s in there pal. 👍

Cheers. Not working via that.  Keeps asking for my CDH number but wont advance past that stage.  Christ knows what's up with it.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Cheers. Not working via that.  Keeps asking for my CDH number but wont advance past that stage.  Christ knows what's up with it.

Strange that it’s asking for the cdh number seeing as you have the app and are signed up. Mines shows cdh number and another column with my WHS link. 

6 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Strange that it’s asking for the cdh number seeing as you have the app and are signed up. Mines shows cdh number and another column with my WHS link. 

It's contradictory.  The SGU site says you download the app and then use it to register.  When you try to register it tells you you're already registered.  Then tried to log in via the app and was told to verify from an email.  Did that but then discovered it doesn't work.   Just uninstalled the app as I'm fed up with it.

Just noticed others have pied the app on Google Play reviews.  Clearly it has problems.   I'll not bother.  Will see if the club are going to have this info on the IG website or app.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Just noticed others have pied the app on Google Play reviews.  Clearly it has problems.   I'll not bother.  Will see if the club are going to have this info on the IG website or app.

If your club is on howdidido it’s all updated now. I’m off 0.6 , confirmed. 

Just now, Irufushi said:

If your club is on howdidido it’s all updated now. I’m off 0.6 , confirmed. 

Not sure.  We use Intelligent Golf.  I noticed the handicap record screen was wiped earlier.  Presumably a prelude to the WHS info coming in.  

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Not sure.  We use Intelligent Golf.  I noticed the handicap record screen was wiped earlier.  Presumably a prelude to the WHS info coming in.  

Its a mess.

On the App,they have all my open scores logged against my home course. On the SGU website correct data but old CDH based handicap.

Spoke to our Match Secy and he said he had loads of incorrect records and that's just one club.

With regard to your issue.

I had to log out the App and log back in to see the WHS screen. 

You should see under My Handicap - My WHS index and below that your CDH number.

Just now, merrymac said:

Its a mess.

On the App,they have all my open scores logged against my home course. On the SGU website correct data but old CDH based handicap.

Spoke to our Match Secy and he said he had loads of incorrect records and that's just one club.

With regard to your issue.

I had to log out the App and log back in to see the WHS screen. 

You should see under My Handicap - My WHS index and below that your CDH number.

I've binned it.  Will hopefully get it on the club website or app.  

Just now, Victorian said:

I've binned it.  Will hopefully get it on the club website or app.  

Think the SGU should follow your lead:phface:

Samuel Camazzola
21 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Played the Eden @ St Andrews yesterday. Cracking day for it albeit very windy. Really enjoyed the course, good value at £39.

Great course. Some challenging holes out by the estuary. The 15th has a unique look with the pond which is not a usual feature on a Links course. 

32 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Great course. Some challenging holes out by the estuary. The 15th has a unique look with the pond which is not a usual feature on a Links course. 

Yeah I really enjoyed it. The wind was right in the face for pretty much 13 of the 18 holes.

Ended up over combating the wind on that pond hole and drew it straight into it 😂

The greens were superb, love it when greens are so undulating.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Samuel Camazzola
4 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

Played longniddry today. 1st time. £30. 
Enjoyable course. The last 6 holes is the best stretch. 

Played it last week and it was in good nick. 10, 11 and 12 is a good little run and 16 is a great wee par 3.

Some of the houses surrounding the course are something else. The bad boy on 17 is pwoppa nawty! 

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah I really enjoyed it. The wind was right in the face for pretty much 13 of the 18 holes.

Ended up over combating the wind on that pond hole and drew it straight into it 😂

The greens were superb, love it when greens are so undulating.

All the Links greens are good. Strathtyrum is a good course too at a lesser rate. Not as tricked up or covered in bunkers as others but you still need to get the ball in okay to score. 

William H. Bonney
4 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Played it last week and it was in good nick. 10, 11 and 12 is a good little run and 16 is a great wee par 3.

Some of the houses surrounding the course are something else. The bad boy on 17 is pwoppa nawty! 

I think the houses were the hot topic of discussion for most of the round. Some absolute beauties. 

11 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

After some initial flip-flopping, everyones handicaps at my club now look spot on.

Your lucky we are having major problems, the info keeps changing daily:huh:

1 hour ago, Furious Styles said:

Played it a few times last year nice course 😂

On 01/11/2020 at 13:02, Harry Potter said:

Wee question for the folks on here, whats your preference of golf tee on par 3 holes.

I find the blue tee 18mm step height is best for myself, thoughts folks.

I used to raise the turf an inch with my club or put my ball just in front of a diver. It usually stopped my ball dead on the green. 

Note. I haven't played for over 8 years. So my memory might be off. 

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I used to raise the turf an inch with my club or put my ball just in front of a diver. It usually stopped my ball dead on the green. 

Note. I haven't played for over 8 years. So my memory might be off. 

Stenson and Garcia technique for their 3 Wood. A wee dunt in the ground, place ball and rip! 

11 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

Decent course but I dunno...I found it to be a bit lacking when it comes to higher end courses.

William H. Bonney
26 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Decent course but I dunno...I found it to be a bit lacking when it comes to higher end courses.

it’s certainly not worth the £75 you’d pay in the summer months. 
Parking was a shambles and the pace of play was awful. 4 hours for a 2 ball. 
Im glad I’ve played it. £30 was worth it for the views alone on the back 9. 

14 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

Completely agree re pricing - it's actually £90 in the summer at weekends!

It was a course I was desperate to play, I'd probably built it up too much to be honest.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

1 hour ago, Furious Styles said:

For that neck of the woods, very little beats Gullane 2 & 3 for value for money at visitor rates.