Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

3 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Updated to 0.2 ! If they had seen me play my 4th round of the year yesterday they would change their minds I think 🤣

Wee bump up to 11.2 from 10.8 after opens have been added.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm on the site again.. Looks like they are struggling to deal with NRs as a score as I have 4 or 5 of them in my top 8 rounds.  I think under the new system NR is not an option and the score would automatically put in the appropriate net double bogey for the scoring system... 

But.. what do I know

26 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

I'm on the site again.. Looks like they are struggling to deal with NRs as a score as I have 4 or 5 of them in my top 8 rounds.  I think under the new system NR is not an option and the score would automatically put in the appropriate net double bogey for the scoring system... 

But.. what do I know

Think there my be massive teething problems, it is the SGU after all:whistling:

I have a score for an Open which was a gross 75 and should be counting showing as a gross 88??

Think it may take a while to get all the gremlins sorted.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, merrymac said:

Think there my be massive teething problems, it is the SGU after all:whistling:

I have a score for an Open which was a gross 75 and should be counting showing as a gross 88??

Think it may take a while to get all the gremlins sorted.

They did say all the info on display ahead of the go live date was purely indicative and to expect further adjustments to be made. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

They did say all the info on display ahead of the go live date was purely indicative and to expect further adjustments to be made. 

Yep even my handicap on the old CDH system has now changed:huh: and is different from my club records.

Think it might be a while before it settles down.

Samuel Camazzola
6 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Yep even my handicap on the old CDH system has now changed:huh: and is different from my club records.

Think it might be a while before it settles down.

Some of the slope ratings seem questionable. The Torrance is recorded with a lower rating than Balbirnie Park which I don't agree with (even if the Fairmont yellow tees were used). 

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

Some of the slope ratings seem questionable. The Torrance is recorded with a lower rating than Balbirnie Park which I don't agree with (even if the Fairmont yellow tees were used). 

Would that not be down to the opinion of the assessor who reviewed a particular course. I know there will be guidelines but it is pretty subjective

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Would that not be down to the opinion of the assessor who reviewed a particular course. I know there will be guidelines but it is pretty subjective

I'd anticipate that to be the case. The benchmark will no doubt have been made from the tips then reductions applied based on the shortening of the course from the various tees. 

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The boy maybe reviewed Balbirnie in the depths of winter 🤣

Samuel Camazzola
5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The boy maybe reviewed Balbirnie in the depths of winter 🤣

Extra slope marks added for having to hunt in the leaves and deal with mud balls! 

On 24/10/2020 at 23:12, Bigsmak said:

Need to hit the ground running next season.

4 of my best are rounds 15-17, 19.

The other 4 are out of my most recent 6.

I'm now at 11.5, which will have me playing off 12, 12.1 and above puts me up to 13.

I normally start the season struggle to beat 90.😩

William H. Bonney
9 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

0.1 now. Quite enjoy going on everyday for a wee update :lol: 

You’ll have your tour card next week. 

10 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

0.1 now. Quite enjoy going on everyday for a wee update :lol: 

They definitely jumped the gun by announcing to the world their new handicaps were ready to be viewed :lol:

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Need to hit the ground running next season.

4 of my best are rounds 15-17, 19.

The other 4 are out of my most recent 6.

I'm now at 11.5, which will have me playing off 12, 12.1 and above puts me up to 13.

I normally start the season struggle to beat 90.😩

7 of my 8 are inside 11-20!

Those other 9 were 9 0.1's in a row :lol:

14 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

They definitely jumped the gun by announcing to the world their new handicaps were ready to be viewed :lol:

They have . I’ve gone 0.9, 0.4, 0.2 and now 0.1 . If I get to plus figures I’ll be like a kid at Christmas :lol: 

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

9 in a row?

Don't tell Neil Lennon he will be phoning for advice:rofl:

Got nothing showing now.  No scores no handicap.  Deleted from the record like the protagonist in some tense thriller film.  It's for the best.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Got nothing showing now.  No scores no handicap.  Deleted from the record like the protagonist in some tense thriller film.  It's for the best.

Yup- Same here - looks like they have taken it down to start again.. 

Have you seen the reviews on their App on the google play store?  Its all 1 stars... Everyone is - this is not ready to go - The sign in and set up account feature doesn't work.  The handicap is waaayyyy off. 

So - the same as we said! 

Samuel Camazzola
41 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Yup- Same here - looks like they have taken it down to start again.. 

Have you seen the reviews on their App on the google play store?  Its all 1 stars... Everyone is - this is not ready to go - The sign in and set up account feature doesn't work.  The handicap is waaayyyy off. 

So - the same as we said! 

https://scottishgolf.org/an-update-on-viewing-your-projected-handicap-index/

To be fair, they did emphasise it was a projected index and changes would occur. It's aim was to give user site of what to expect once the WHS goes live. 

9 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I know the feeling, I had 9 consecutive 0.1's too.

and most of them not even remotely close buffer:thumbsdown:

40 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I know the feeling, I had 9 consecutive 0.1's too.

and most of them not even remotely close buffer:thumbsdown:

I'm either cut,  in buffer or very close to buffer.  Very rarely a ways off buffer.  The cuts are few and far between and the 0.1s and buffers are pretty evenly split.  The closing holes battle to secure a -0.2 or to sneak into the buffer will be a big miss for me.  

Edited by Victorian

49 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

And now mines has disappeared.

They're having a mare!

Mine and club mates are all back to our actual handicaps. All scores are gone.:lol:

I have never bothered with a handicap,play for fun usually with a mate or two,play Pumpherston regular,second season as a member.My best round was 75,everything was perfect that day but usual score is between 83 - 93,what do you think my handicap would be and how would I get one,it all seems very confusing!!

Samuel Camazzola
11 minutes ago, weegranty said:

I have never bothered with a handicap,play for fun usually with a mate or two,play Pumpherston regular,second season as a member.My best round was 75,everything was perfect that day but usual score is between 83 - 93,what do you think my handicap would be and how would I get one,it all seems very confusing!!

I'm short, complete 54 holes of play, get someone to mark your cards, sign cards, hand them into your handicap secretary or pro. They'll allocate you a handicap based on the tees you played off etc. 👍 

3 hours ago, weegranty said:

Your in the same area as me, I'm off 12 at Pumphy. Capable of mid 70s, bu a bottle merchant, too.

Pond at 16 gets a lot bigger when on a score.:lol:

I think with the new system you can enter bounce rounds too.

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Your in the same area as me, I'm off 12 at Pumphy. Capable of mid 70s, bu a bottle merchant, too.

Pond at 16 gets a lot bigger when on a score.:lol:

I think with the new system you can enter bounce rounds too.

I have drove the 16th twice,last week I birdied the last 3 holes and missed out on an eagle at the last! Sometimes I couldn't hit a coo in the erse with a stick though,go figure.😊😁

1 hour ago, weegranty said:

I have drove the 16th twice,last week I birdied the last 3 holes and missed out on an eagle at the last! Sometimes I couldn't hit a coo in the erse with a stick though,go figure.😊😁

They are good skelps to those greens.

1 minute ago, Irufushi said:

Was 0.1 the other day . Going the wrong way !

Aye you said lol, 🙂, feeling nervous about this game now.

Samuel Camazzola

Golf England look to be active in preventing courses down there closing as part of Thursday's restrictions. Madness to include courses within the closures. 

Wee question for the folks on here, whats your preference of golf tee on par 3 holes.

I find the blue tee 18mm step height is best for myself, thoughts folks.

36 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Wee question for the folks on here, whats your preference of golf tee on par 3 holes.

Quite like off the deck for anything below an 8 iron :ninja:

I know someone who tees their irons like a driver. Mental. 

1 hour ago, kila said:

Quite like off the deck for anything below an 8 iron :ninja:

I know someone who tees their irons like a driver. Mental. 

Thanks bud, 

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Depends on the club and the shot you envisage playing.  You would tee it up a smidge higher if you visualise hitting a draw or holding it into a left to right wind,  or to hit a fade with a mid iron.  Tee it down a bit if you're trying for a low launch,  etc.  

I always use a small standard tee or more often I pick up a broken bit of wooden tee to use.  Never a pre-set tee.

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Depends on the club and the shot you envisage playing.  You would tee it up a smidge higher if you visualise hitting a draw or holding it into a left to right wind,  or to hit a fade with a mid iron.  Tee it down a bit if you're trying for a low launch,  etc.  

I always use a small standard tee or more often I pick up a broken bit of wooden tee to use.  Never a pre-set tee.

Thankyou, some good points to think about.

William H. Bonney

Wedge or 9 usually off the deck for me. Like Victorian I look for broken tees to use for irons. 
Always very low though. 

6 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Lots of videos on you tube. Personally I use a broken tee very low.

https://youtu.be/5KfoGlrj7Rw