Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

7 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I played this morning and unless there is a dry spell soon, I think games on parkland courses are coming to an end this season. 

Took a stroll by Lundin Links and their track is in tip top condition. Links golf is the way to go from now.  

Fairmont getting some great praise.

I must always pick the bad times to play it as I've never been overly impressed by the greens whenever I've been.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

Fairmont getting some great praise.

I must always pick the bad times to play it as I've never been overly impressed by the greens whenever I've been.

The course was closed for a spell before the tournament week and they've had some of the Dumbarnie green staff assisting the normal team too. The extra hands seem to have been a benefit. 

A lot of pros have spoke highly of the greens. In terms of regular pro events, the width of the fairways are quite generous but some of the rough us brutal. 

I think some of the images displayed on the coverage will attract a lot of new visitors. 

Jaunt down to Eyemouth this morning.

Forecast was fair all week.

Holes 3, 4 had a heavy drizzle and cold wind. Totally unprepared:sad:

Stopped and turned decent. 

First time I've played in fairly calm conditions:lol:

🙊😼👻😩😩😩😫😨

scores were still rank, 9 at 13th.

Thought my partner found his ball, so I  picked up his provisional. He then lost that one, when I put back.

I put myself in the water twice.

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Jaunt down to Eyemouth this morning.

Forecast was fair all week.

Holes 3, 4 had a heavy drizzle and cold wind. Totally unprepared:sad:

Stopped and turned decent. 

First time I've played in fairly calm conditions:lol:

🙊😼👻😩😩😩😫😨

scores were still rank, 9 at 13th.

Thought my partner found his ball, so I  picked up his provisional. He then lost that one, when I put back.

I put myself in the water twice.

You must have been out first? We got the brutal drizzly stuff 2nd and 3rd so just behind you. The holes into the wind were playing tough

1 minute ago, StSow said:

You must have been out first? We got the brutal drizzly stuff 2nd and 3rd so just behind you. The holes into the wind were playing tough

We were yes.

We played a good pace until the 13th. All 4 of us had a disaster.

Both pairs had 9s.

Sorry for the delay.:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, StSow said:

We were yes.

Both pairs had 9s.

37 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

We were yes.

Both pairs had 9s.

Nah no worries at all man. 👍

You'd be miles ahead by the end after I hacked a couple about in the bushes on 15. 

Hope you enjoyed it despite the damp start 👍

Was having another look at how the h/c will fare when the WHS starts.   Looks like I will do ok on the average of 8 from 20 calculation (7.4 from 7.8) but quite a few of my better scores are in the older half of the 20.   I did a notional conversion on my last 8 and those scores would put me up from 7.8 to 10.1  😳

Better get my finger out next season.

Samuel Camazzola
10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Was having another look at how the h/c will fare when the WHS starts.   Looks like I will do ok on the average of 8 from 20 calculation (7.4 from 7.8) but quite a few of my better scores are in the older half of the 20.   I did a notional conversion on my last 8 and those scores would put me up from 7.8 to 10.1  😳

Better get my finger out next season.

Are all your scores based at the home club? Otherwise, you'd need to get a note of the relevant course slopes to conduct an accurate calculation. 

If you're registered on the Scottish Golf site, all returns will be recorded there but I'm unsure if the slope associated with the tees are displayed. 

Edited by Samuel Camazzola

6 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Are all your scores based at the home club? Otherwise, you'd need to get a note of the relevant course slopes to conduct an accurate calculation. 

If you're registered on the Scottish Golf site, all returns will be recorded there but I'm unsure if the slope associated with the tees are displayed. 

Nothing currently on SGU  re slope, so if you have played in Opens its quite difficult to calculate what your handicap will be.

Our Match Secy just posted the charts on the board , was dizzy looking at them after about 30 seconds. Four full pages of numbers . I am sure we will all get used to it eventually but seems rather complicated to operate for your average golfer without a degree in Maths😀

26 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Yeah,  no comp scores away from home course.   

My best 8 from 20 will see me go from 1.9 to 0.8 according to my mate. I didn’t figure it out myself cause I’m a thick ***** . 

18 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

My best 8 from 20 will see me go from 1.9 to 0.8 according to my mate. I didn’t figure it out myself cause I’m a thick ***** . 

It's a bit algebraic but there are calculators on the Internet you can use.  

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

According to this I should be off 10.8.

https://www.calculator.net/golf-handicap-calculator.html

Just stuck mine in - should be 3.7 I think I am 4.8 just now. might have missed some adjustments though as my scores dont show if the CSS went up or down.. so it might just be nonsense. 

The guy at my club confirmed to me that they would retrospectively be worked out by the SGU / WHS or whatever.. will be interesting to see.. (all my good rounds were not.....not the most recent 12... lol

Samuel Camazzola

Golf courses in Wales to close for 17 days from Friday. Crazy decision! 

Won't put it past the SG to follow this daft approach. 

5 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Golf courses in Wales to close for 17 days from Friday. Crazy decision! 

Won't put it past the SG to follow this daft approach. 

It's things like golf (or any form of exercise) we should be trying our utmost to keep running. There are clear health benefits.

I'd sooner see pubs shut than lose schools and golf.

43 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Can anyone recommend a cheap scope? 

I got a cheap bushnell ones 3 years ago (maybe more) £199 i think it was. Still going strong. 

3 hours ago, Irufushi said:

I got a cheap bushnell ones 3 years ago (maybe more) £199 i think it was. Still going strong. 

I'm talking cheap cheap :lol:

4 hours ago, kila said:

Get a GPS golf app for your phone instead? 

I've got the watch there, I'm needing something for the winter to quickly scope distance to winter greens.

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've got the watch there, I'm needing something for the winter to quickly scope distance to winter greens.

The golf app I use has each hole sketched out from satellite and you can move the target it counts to. By default it is in the middle of the green but can move it anywhere on the hole, such as a bunker or in the case of a winter green somewhere in front that lines up with what you can see.

Skip to 1:18 to see what I mean (the images get cached, this guy is loading each course for the first time):

Samuel Camazzola

Played Leven Links today. Good condition and greens great to putt on. 

Loved the 18th with the wide burn in front of the green. 

Worth a game if anyone is looking for a change of scenery. 

Longniddry this weekend. 

Myself and a few mates have joined the Fairmont Winter series Stableford.

£150. You get 5 rounds and best 3 scores get entered to enter a Final round.

You can go up all Winter for £30 per round and these scores can qualify too.

Seems decent, good hour - 75mins drive for us, only drawback for me. Makes it a long day out.

Anyone playing in it too (or previous years)?

Is it easy enough to get booked on?

I see you can also have a £300 flexible membership (10 rounds) or £500 (20 rounds).

Samuel Camazzola
37 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Myself and a few mates have joined the Fairmont Winter series Stableford.

£150. You get 5 rounds and best 3 scores get entered to enter a Final round.

You can go up all Winter for £30 per round and these scores can qualify too.

Seems decent, good hour - 75mins drive for us, only drawback for me. Makes it a long day out.

Anyone playing in it too (or previous years)?

Is it easy enough to get booked on?

I see you can also have a £300 flexible membership (10 rounds) or £500 (20 rounds).

Hi Tommy. I'm looking to sign up to the winter series. Great deal with chance of qualifying for the finals day and get a 6th round. 

As there are two courses, it's pretty easy to get a tee time (although the shorter days will barrow the window). The booking period is very wide so you could secure a time far in advance if required. 

I have had one of their membership packages for several years and they are good value. You can book 9 hole options too so if a quick nine or an energetic 27 suits you, it can be accommodated through your account. The membership also comes with a card which gives you 20% discount in the shops and 25% discount in the bars and restaurants. You'll also get 4 spa passes which can be given to friends or family if that's not your thing. 

FYI, there are also two upcoming Texas Scrambles (one this Sunday I believe) which are around £35 a head. Good value again. 👍 

Enjoy! 

21 minutes ago, StSow said:

My projected WHS handicap is available on the Scottish golf app. 

Dunno if it's just my club or throughout Scotland. 

Down 0.3

Hi Mate,

Just checked the App and cant see anything? Where does it show it?

Used Liam's calculator and it has me down from 4.9 to 3.4 would like to check if that is correct

Cheers

30 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Hi Mate,

Just checked the App and cant see anything? Where does it show it?

Used Liam's calculator and it has me down from 4.9 to 3.4 would like to check if that is correct

Cheers

The blue box with your h/cap at the top left of screen, click that then "projected WHS index" 

3 minutes ago, StSow said:

The blue box with your h/cap at the top left of screen, click that then "projected WHS index" 

Just checked mine, I’m projected 0.9 so down from 1.9 👍

7 minutes ago, StSow said:

Thanks for the info.

Don't seem to have this anywhere?

Samuel Camazzola
36 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

My actual handicap on the SG app is showing as 0.0...I wish :lol:

No option to see projected WHS handicap.

The 0.0 displays for me but I can then access a dedicated handicap section. 

This includes an option to obtain a handicap certificate etc but there is a button which says 'View Projected WHS Index'. The last 20 scores recorded against my CDH are displayed with each course played captured. The top 8 are highlighted in yellow with course rating, slope and differential data provided. 

On 22/10/2020 at 20:33, StSow said:

My projected WHS handicap is available on the Scottish golf app. 

Dunno if it's just my club or throughout Scotland. 

Down 0.3

Mine is projected at 3.9  -  Currently I am playing of 4.9 

I had to log into the desktop app then the golf app.. then logged out of both.. then logged back in and the projected handicap appeared!   

The Mighty Thor
7 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Mine is projected at 3.9  -  Currently I am playing of 4.9 

I had to log into the desktop app then the golf app.. then logged out of both.. then logged back in and the projected handicap appeared!   

Mine didn't recognise either Dunbar GC or me then it tells me I'm down from 6.7 to 5.5

This is going to go well 😄

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

great Sammy

Finally got it done.

11.9 down to 11.2:jambobanana:

👍 

Bear in mind that this is projected therefore some adjustments (ie slopes based on tees used) and additional rounds could yet be added. 

19 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

👍

Bear in mind that this is projected therefore some adjustments (ie slopes based on tees used) and additional rounds could yet be added. 

Yes

It's my first chance to look at this with actual figures.

Higher slope=more difficult to higher H.caps. ??

Burntisland and Muckhart a bit higher than Pumphy, baffling.

9 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

👍

Yip, it's only home scores showing up in my last 20 so looks like I've a few opens still to appear.

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yip, it's only home scores showing up in my last 20 so looks like I've a few opens still to appear.

Same for me .

Using the calculator you put up which includes Opens I am 0.7 lower :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Same for me .

Using the calculator you put up which includes Opens I am 0.7 lower :thumbsup:

Mine will be higher   .. lol

7 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Me too. One of my eight is back in August last year for 7.9.

I never NR, but did twice at Dornoch, those are not included.

19 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Ah knock a couple off with some good early scores next year  and you will be  back down before you know it:thumbsup: