Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

7 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

What’s Kinghorn like ? I’ve seen that’s a fifetrust been on their website looks no bad from the pictures . 

Erm....it's different :lol:

I'm not a fan personally but it's usually in good condition. Dunnikier is the Fife Trust crown jewel. 

I'm on the committee at Lochgelly, if you've not played it give me a shout and I'll get you on. We had a bit of a ropey spell in August, the weather totally set us back but the condition really picked up in September with the dry spell, best the greens have been this year. Last 2 days won't have helped though.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm not a fan personally but it's usually in good condition. Dunnikier is the Fife Trust crown jewel. 

I'm on the committee at Lochgelly, if you've not played it give me a shout and I'll get you on. We had a bit of a ropey spell in August, the weather totally set us back but the condition really picked up in September with the dry spell, best the greens have been this year. Last 2 days won't have helped though.

Nice one mate I will keep that in mind and give you a shout. There is a few I would like to play in fife . If they were located in Edinburgh or West Lothian the visitor fees and membership prices would be another 20/30% higher . 

I tried Glenrothes a few weeks ago was a Saturday must of been a medal place was mobbed never helped when a guy and son missed their tee time and was put in between me and my dad and a 4 ball in front took 2hrs to play front 9 looked at the 10th there was a two ball , the four ball , and the two in front of us who missed tee off all waiting to tee off . Jumped in the car and headed home 😂

Edited by Stu_HMFC

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Is your course part of a reciprocal £5 rate for a cluster of courses? I'm aware of  tie-in with Pitreavie, Burntisland and Thornton but don't know what's on the wider list. 

3 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Nice one mate I will keep that in mind and give you a shout. There is a few I would like to play in fife . If they were located in Edinburgh or West Lothian the visitor fees and membership prices would be another 20/30% higher . 

I tried Glenrothes a few weeks ago was a Saturday must of been a medal place was mobbed never helped when a guy and son missed their tee time and was put in between me and my dad and a 4 ball in front took 2hrs to play front 9 looked at the 10th there was a two ball , the four ball , and the two in front of us who missed tee off all waiting to tee off . Jumped in the car and headed home 😂

Haha count yourself lucky, the back 9 at Glenrothes is a hike!!! I like the front 9 but back 9 not so much.

Funny you should say that about the fees because you're right. We're £20 at weekends, first year members £299 (£455 full rate) and our place is certainly a lot more interesting than some Edinburgh courses I've played. Even at the weekend when I played Falkirk Tryst, they have a £300 joining fee and it's a glorified, boring as ****, council course :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Is your course part of a reciprocal £5 rate for a cluster of courses? I'm aware of  tie-in with Pitreavie, Burntisland and Thornton but don't know what's on the wider list. 

Nah we're not, we have our own wee set up with more Scotland wide courses - Merchants, Bathgate, Linlithgow, Airdrie, Hayston and Windyhill. All free and included in the membership.

11 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Haha count yourself lucky, the back 9 at Glenrothes is a hike!!! I like the front 9 but back 9 not so much.

Funny you should say that about the fees because you're right. We're £20 at weekends, first year members £299 (£455 full rate) and our place is certainly a lot more interesting than some Edinburgh courses I've played. Even at the weekend when I played Falkirk Tryst, they have a £300 joining fee and it's a glorified, boring as ****, council course :lol: 

I’ve found that the courses I’ve played in fife are interesting and you get you’re money's worth . Take a course like Niddrie Castle in Winchburgh 25 to 30 a round. It’s no.any better than Glenrothes or Cowdenbeath! . I will try more courses on the fire trust before the weather changes . 

I live in Edinburgh don’t mind the drive over to play somewhere I enjoy. 

1 minute ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I’ve found that the courses I’ve played in fife are interesting and you get you’re money's worth . Take a course like Niddrie Castle in Winchburgh 25 to 30 a round. It’s no.any better than Glenrothes or Cowdenbeath! . I will try more courses on the fire trust before the weather changes . 

I live in Edinburgh don’t mind the drive over to play somewhere I enjoy. 

Yeah the value is night and day tbh. Played Prestonfield a couple of months ago and again, no better than your typical Fife course.

Samuel Camazzola
16 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Nah we're not, we have our own wee set up with more Scotland wide courses - Merchants, Bathgate, Linlithgow, Airdrie, Hayston and Windyhill. All free and included in the membership.

Quite an eclectic mix. Is the tie-in to represent a shared founding year etc? A few clubs do this or if the have the same designer (James Braid Trail etc..) 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Quite an eclectic mix. Is the tie-in to represent a shared founding year etc? A few clubs do this or if the have the same designer (James Braid Trail etc..) 

Nah, it was about the only decent thing our ex-pro did, he set it all up individually with the courses.

I quite like that they're not local, good to get a wee trip away.

Samuel Camazzola
4 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Nah, it was about the only decent thing our ex-pro did, he set it all up individually with the courses.

I quite like that they're not local, good to get a wee trip away.

Yeah, good idea. 

10 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Common theme of hills. Windyhill sound like its going to be🙂.

Bathgate will probably not entertain you just now (they have stopped with other Linlithgowshire courses, too busy). Good course.

Played Airdie last week, good condition, loads of blind shots though. Worth the visit. As is Linlithgow.

Competition for today called off last night.   Green staff tweeted this morning they've set up the course for the comp,  good luck,  etc.   Member pointed out it's off.   Nobody had told the greens guys.

:gok:

The Mighty Thor

Sitting refreshing met office app hoping that tomorrow's window of dry stays between 8am-1pm.

Its hooring it down ATM ☹ 

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Sitting refreshing met office app hoping that tomorrow's window of dry stays between 8am-1pm.

Its hooring it down ATM ☹ 

Obviously depending on the course type but you'll be lucky if courses are open tomorrow. I reckon ours will almost certainly be.

Samuel Camazzola
18 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Wash out this weekend.

2 days of sitting, staring out the window... :lol:

Get yourself to a links course tomorrow. They'll be fine by then. 

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Obviously depending on the course type but you'll be lucky if courses are open tomorrow. I reckon ours will almost certainly be.

Links. It'll by open for sure 👍 

Disser Pointon

Castle course tomorrow, thankfully the forecast is a slight improvement on today. Never played it but heard only good things. 

Samuel Camazzola
49 minutes ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Castle course tomorrow, thankfully the forecast is a slight improvement on today. Never played it but heard only good things. 

It's very good! Savour the 17th!👌

Disser Pointon
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

It's very good! Savour the 17th!👌

So I've been told, better ball stableford, looking forward to it. 

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, Bleedsmaroon said:

So I've been told, better ball stableford, looking forward to it. 

There is more room to left of the green on 17 than appears from the tee. The ball will feed to the right. 

Don't start your shot to the right or it'll end up in the North Sea! 

Shamefully never been to an Open.

1968 as a 5 yo went around Carnoustie with Peter Thompson in his practice round.

Still remember doing that.

2021 St Andrews - is it a good place to view the play?

Samuel Camazzola

Three Opens, a couple of Scottish Opens, An Alfred Dunhill and a Ryder Cup for me. 

The Ryder Cup was special but if I had the choice, I'd go to day 1 or 2 ahead of 3. Managed to get to the 15th when Donaldson secured it but other days would be easier to keep on top of the play. 

Scottish Opens and Open practice days were more enjoyable than Open tournament days. More relaxed and accessible. 

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Shamefully never been to an Open.

1968 as a 5 yo went around Carnoustie with Peter Thompson in his practice round.

Still remember doing that.

2021 St Andrews - is it a good place to view the play?

Its about the worst Tommy.

Ok from a grandstand but if you want to follow play get used to watching the tops of players heads.

All spectators to the right all players hit mainly to the left not a good combination.

There is a spot round the turn you get a view of three different shots.

Can’t stand that prick, hoodie or no hoodie.

Every interview he comes across a spoilt wee ****. Once talked about buying another ‘lambo’. Chronic patter.

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Hoodie? Yeah or Nay? 

Yes. The Adidas, Greyson, CK. RLX and Nike ones have all looked pretty smart. A couple of players including Justin Timberlake had them on at last year's Dunhill. 

Edited by Samuel Camazzola
Predictive text

Hoodie.... yes. 

especially if it riles the old stuffy folk at clubs. 

I went to buy an adidas one but they have sold out.... clearly popular.

Edited by Irufushi

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Hoodie.... yes. 

especially if it riles the old stuffy folk at clubs. 

I went to buy an adidas one but they have sold out.... clearly popular.

What colour are you after? There are still some available. 

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

What colour are you after? There are still some available. 

Ended up getting a J Lindeberg one 👍. Where about you seeing them? 

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, Irufushi said:

Ended up getting a J Lindeberg one 👍. Where about you seeing them? 

Some golf retailers also sell via Amazon. They had them this morning but just checking now, they may have gone. 

Hatton's a terrific player but a moaning *****.   Hate to see a pro gurning about a missed putt like he's immune to missing one.   

Samuel Camazzola
49 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Hatton's a terrific player but a moaning *****.   Hate to see a pro gurning about a missed putt like he's immune to missing one.   

TBF, he's mellowed in the last couple of years. 

Still looks like this guy though;

yc6zF8kYXXii%2BeJhnqEMDh4=

Lesson(s) required, my game is an absolute mess. The only shot I can be confident over is chipping and putting, anything requiring a full swing is just utterly awful.

Drivers are skied, high hooks, low slices.

Irons and hybrid are slicing or topped.

Just stinking :lol: 

Just now, Barack said:

Tough at the top these days, bud?😉

I wish! 

Had a great spell in June/July and start of August but there's been a pretty dramatic decline in September and this month. I'm talking 28 handicap level shit :lol: 

Just now, Barack said:

Might as well make the most of it & take what you can get.

Got a feeling winter golf might be a bit quieter this year.

You know it's bad when you drop yourself from your own winter league side

:lolderwood:

Had a few lessons now and also got fitted for new irons. Came down to feel really and went for mp20 mmc with kbs shafts (cant remember what ones but they are in x) . Felt nicer to me than the jpx tour. 

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Had a few lessons now and also got fitted for new irons. Came down to feel really and went for mp20 mmc with kbs shafts (cant remember what ones but they are in x) . Felt nicer to me than the jpx tour. 

As they say, nothing feels like a Mizuno. 😉 😄 

5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I wish! 

Had a great spell in June/July and start of August but there's been a pretty dramatic decline in September and this month. I'm talking 28 handicap level shit :lol: 

You were going like a train early on in the season and said you get to 12 no problem.

Get's difficult from there, you've maybe started to overthink a bit.

Lessons are the way to go. after 45 years, I'm going to get my first lesson soon.

Decided I dont get enough length off the tee (Driver), been hitting it ok, just no length, has to be really well hit to get past 185.

I can hit further than that off fairways with a 3w, 5w and hybrids. 

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

As they say, nothing feels like a Mizuno. 😉 😄 

Yup! Had the old mp62’s that I loved , then went and got ap2’s off Armageddon on here, they helped get me from 6 down to 2. Lovely irons but I forgot how good mizunos feel. Lessons and getting used to new irons ahead of next season . I haven’t played a comp in 13 months 🤣

Samuel Camazzola
41 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Yup! Had the old mp62’s that I loved , then went and got ap2’s off Armageddon on here, they helped get me from 6 down to 2. Lovely irons but I forgot how good mizunos feel. Lessons and getting used to new irons ahead of next season . I haven’t played a comp in 13 months 🤣

I'm still battling with the mp52's. I'll likely keep them on board for next year but will consider a refresh the following one. 

I need to get a chance to work on pitching and chipping as that's holding me back from getting lower. 

14 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

You were going like a train early on in the season and said you get to 12 no problem.

Get's difficult from there, you've maybe started to overthink a bit.

Lessons are the way to go. after 45 years, I'm going to get my first lesson soon.

Decided I dont get enough length off the tee (Driver), been hitting it ok, just no length, has to be really well hit to get past 185.

I can hit further than that off fairways with a 3w, 5w and hybrids. 

Yeah had a blazing start to the year, overall I'm delighted how its went. 

Over thinking things is definitely something, my mate also reckons I'm brutally harsh on myself at times too but it's hard not to be when you've been pinging shots for months then suddenly start playing terribly.

Hopefully a few lessons gets me back on track and get to single figures next year.

Can't hit an iron for shit just now. Driving and putting the best I've ever done since taking up the game yet hitting my irons like I've never played before, rather embarrassing.

Went for my lesson today, definitely worth it.

My issue is my lower body, it's just not moving. Been given a wee drill to work on to get the hips rotating. Already noticing the difference.

Hopefully carries on to the course tomorrow when I head out for a wee practice.

Samuel Camazzola

I played this morning and unless there is a dry spell soon, I think games on parkland courses are coming to an end this season. 

Took a stroll by Lundin Links and their track is in tip top condition. Links golf is the way to go from now.  

3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I played this morning and unless there is a dry spell soon, I think games on parkland courses are coming to an end this season. 

Took a stroll by Lundin Links and their track is in tip top condition. Links golf is the way to go from now.  

Agree ,had a wee trip to Linden Hall a couple of weeks ago, nice track but underfoot like a swamp, god knows what it will be like by December.

Glad I am a member of a links, all year round golf if you want it, the greens are as good now as they have been all season