Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Just now, joondalupjambo said:

Pretty sure lots of clubs broke the four ball rule but it was clear from Scottish Golf and R&A what was expected from what I read after it was issued by our club.  Think that will be the reason clubhouses have been quiet if followed.

If this new rule hits three balls then I cannot see anyone going in unless it is two balls.  Assuming clubs follow the rules that is.  

I totally agree. I was aware of the rules and observe them in other bars and restaurants. It's like you just go into auto-pilot when you're leaving the 18th and someone suggests a pint. I think folk will be more wary now.

The first few rounds it was weird having to remind myself not to shake hands after the round. Now you wonder if you'll ever go back to shaking hands.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

joondalupjambo
9 minutes ago, neal-jambos said:

I totally agree. I was aware of the rules and observe them in other bars and restaurants. It's like you just go into auto-pilot when you're leaving the 18th and someone suggests a pint. I think folk will be more wary now.

The first few rounds it was weird having to remind myself not to shake hands after the round. Now you wonder if you'll ever go back to shaking hands.

Yeah agree auto pilot is the right word.  I still say to folk take the flag out will you when on the green.  Sad thing is some go and do it😃😃 Mind you we are all old so can play the age card😃😃

My club emailed a reminder based on the updated rules.   Official rules had not really been strictly observed tbh and we are reminded that the rules set out will very much apply now.   I think it's a tad fortunate that golf seems to have been spared a return to golf playing restrictions of two households.   At least the competitions can be completed.    There's bound to be an effect on bar use now.

I was planning on using the club as my only place to go for a night out.   It stays open until the evening on a Friday.   I can easily see the hours being reviewed on a daily basis,  based on numbers in the bar.   My lifeboat of a venue to go for a relaxed few pints could be kyboshed.

Samuel Camazzola
9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

My club emailed a reminder based on the updated rules.   Official rules had not really been strictly observed tbh and we are reminded that the rules set out will very much apply now.   I think it's a tad fortunate that golf seems to have been spared a return to golf playing restrictions of two households.   At least the competitions can be completed.    There's bound to be an effect on bar use now.

I was planning on using the club as my only place to go for a night out.   It stays open until the evening on a Friday.   I can easily see the hours being reviewed on a daily basis,  based on numbers in the bar.   My lifeboat of a venue to go for a relaxed few pints could be kyboshed.

Fourballs with four different households seems sensible to retain. (Although I rarely play in a four these days). Would have been silly to apply restrictions. 

3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Fourballs with four different households seems sensible to retain. (Although I rarely play in a four these days). Would have been silly to apply restrictions. 

It's easy to keep a distance on a golf course but it's a bit lucky tbh.   It could have been included in the new general rules for consistency.

The last few comps over the next 3 weeks.   Pairs in a group of 4 and then two medals of 3.   Splitting up to in for a few drinks is a pain but it is what it is.

Samuel Camazzola
13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's easy to keep a distance on a golf course but it's a bit lucky tbh.   It could have been included in the new general rules for consistency.

The last few comps over the next 3 weeks.   Pairs in a group of 4 and then two medals of 3.   Splitting up to in for a few drinks is a pain but it is what it is.

I'm sure if team sports can continue to be permitted, restricting the numbers on a golf course would have been very poor and shortsighted (but not surprising by government form). 

For your post game drinks, just get a couple of junior players under 12 to make up your fourball and you won't need to split up! 😄

14 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm sure if team sports can continue to be permitted, restricting the numbers on a golf course would have been very poor and shortsighted (but not surprising by government form). 

For your post game drinks, just get a couple of junior players under 12 to make up your fourball and you won't need to split up! 😄

I'll be having a few pints even if I have to perch on my own.   

Samuel Camazzola

Struggled with the heavier, autumn parkland fairways today. Was catching too many wedge shots on the heavy side. Putted well but felt I left about six shots out there despite making buffer. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Struggled with the heavier, autumn parkland fairways today. Was catching too many wedge shots on the heavy side. Putted well but felt I left about six shots out there despite making buffer. 

Been like that for me since start of August after those rains. My GIR has plummeted. 

Drives either not getting any run or approach shots coming up short.

The joys of the parkland course!

Been like that for me since start of August after those rains. My GIR has plummeted. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

There seems to be a better spell of weather as well as wind forecast so hopefully it helps firm the course up a bit. Getting plenty mud balls but lift, clean and place is in play. 

Two birdie 2s today so will gain a wee return in that sweep. 😊

There seems to be a better spell of weather as well as wind forecast so hopefully it helps firm the course up a bit. Getting plenty mud balls but lift, clean and place is in play. 

Two birdie 2s today so will gain a wee return in that sweep. 😊

You should have come over my way for today, we had a scramble on, some cracking prizes too.

Samuel Camazzola
53 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You should have come over my way for today, we had a scramble on, some cracking prizes too.

I do like a scramble. 

Is your place planning to shoehorn the par 3 open into the schedule before the main season ends? 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I do like a scramble. 

Is your place planning to shoehorn the par 3 open into the schedule before the main season ends? 

It's next Sunday 👍

£10 entry. £125 top prize.

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's next Sunday 👍

£10 entry. £125 top prize.

Cheers. Will check availability etc... 👍 

12 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Cheers. Will check availability etc... 👍 

Plenty just now, we only just started advertising it the other day.

Why are Powakaddys so expensive?!

Needing to change an 18 hole lead acid battery for a 36 hole lithium, the battery is £250 plus I think it needs some 'jiggery pokery' to do something to the 240v to 260v change, or a new trolley is £550 - total pain in the hoop.

2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Needing to change an 18 hole lead acid battery for a 36 hole lithium, the battery is £250 plus I think it needs some 'jiggery pokery' to do something to the 240v to 260v change, or a new trolley is £550 - total pain in the hoop.

******* cancel that - £599 is the only one I can get in stock with a 36 hole battery.

AND they have changed all the accessories so needing the brolly and scorecard holder - kind of raging but feel better after posting here!!  Anyway, collecting later, starting to wish I had a girl that loved a dance class, surely that's got to be cheaper than kitting the boy out??

24 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

******* cancel that - £599 is the only one I can get in stock with a 36 hole battery.

AND they have changed all the accessories so needing the brolly and scorecard holder - kind of raging but feel better after posting here!!  Anyway, collecting later, starting to wish I had a girl that loved a dance class, surely that's got to be cheaper than kitting the boy out??

Anyone recommend a cheaper brand of electric trolley.

I'm the same,  just dont want to spend £600.

2 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Carry it. 

Don't mind in Winter and Summer (when you know it's staying dry).

Keep the bag as empty as possible.

Getting auld and weak.

22 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Don't mind in Winter and Summer (when you know it's staying dry).

Keep the bag as empty as possible.

Getting auld and weak.

😂. Couldn’t advise you on electric trolleys, always wanted one but I could never justify paying vast sums for one, not nowadays anyway as I rarely get a game. 

I'm still donkeying the bag around the course.   Even though I'm old and wrecked.    

Couple of medals left and it's time for the bats to hibernate for the winter.   Any chance of some great drying out weather 'cos I can't handle the zero run conditions.   

5 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Anyone recommend a cheaper brand of electric trolley.

I'm the same,  just dont want to spend £600.

Haha I’ve an PowaKaddy FW3 about to get punted, the battery needs replaced but it’s the ‘plug and play‘ version so the PowaKaddy lithium or lead acid works, scorecard and umbrella holder holder - yours for £599 😆

Samuel Camazzola

Hopefully John Daly comes through fighting fit from his bladder cancer treatment. 

A real maverick and character of the game. Some of the pros have belting stories about him. Not many guys nowadays will enter a major as a reserve, borrow the caddy of the guy you're stepping in for then go on and win it! 😄

On 14/09/2020 at 12:46, Armageddon said:

I have only just joined a golf club and taken up the sport so don't really know much about equipment, but can you not just buy a 2nd hand one off facebook like the one attached?

powakaddy.png

8 hours ago, jambo89 said:

I have only just joined a golf club and taken up the sport so don't really know much about equipment, but can you not just buy a 2nd hand one off facebook like the one attached?

powakaddy.png

All the models with a 36 hole battery are the older models from what the boy currently has, it also needs to be a lithium battery.

I picked it up last night from Perth PowaKaddy £617, FX5 36 hole model plus the brolly holder, scorecard holder and drinks holder and while adding them on the boy gave me a free seat attachment. 

Does any one know of any 'pitch and putt' (Par 3 golf course)?

My mates laddie just got a set of golf clubs and thought it would be good to take the wee man on a day out. 

It seems like there were loads about when i was growing up but can't find any nowadays. 

39 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

My mates laddie just got a set of golf clubs and thought it would be good to take the wee man on a day out. 

It seems like there were loads about when i was growing up but can't find any nowadays. 

The Wee Course at North Berwick - specifically for kids.👍

3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

The Wee Course at North Berwick - specifically for kids.👍

Great shout - This is a great little course.  There is also the free course at Gullane on the green for kids.  Its not much but has about 6 holes all with little greens the longest is about 90 yrds.  It free to just walk onto and adults can play if they have a kid with them.  Also - its right next to the pub - The Old Clubhouse - where you can pop in for a drink straight after.  

If you come into Gullane from the Edinburgh side, its a couple of hundred yards into the village on the right hand side - you cant miss it. 

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, jambo89 said:

Edinburgh based? 

King's Acre has a little set up as part of their academy. Swanston has the 9 hole par three 'Temple' course. 

On Fife, Wellsgreen has a course aimed at juniors. 

4 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Edinburgh based? 

King's Acre has a little set up as part of their academy. Swanston has the 9 hole par three 'Temple' course. 

On Fife, Wellsgreen has a course aimed at juniors. 

Broxburn, West Lothian.

There used to be one in Livingston when I was growing up, but is now the Civic centre. 

Google was throwing a load of rubbish about pubs and leisure centres!

Swanston looks good too and the wellsgreen course has wee bunkers and water hazards! looks pretty good and Would give the wee man a challenge

Samuel Camazzola
17 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Broxburn, West Lothian.

There used to be one in Livingston when I was growing up, but is now the Civic centre. 

Google was throwing a load of rubbish about pubs and leisure centres!

Swanston looks good too and the wellsgreen course has wee bunkers and water hazards! looks pretty good and Would give the wee man a challenge

I know there is a course in the Linlithgow area that had a lot going on in respect of junior coaching etc. It may have what you're looking for. 

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I know there is a course in the Linlithgow area that had a lot going on in respect of junior coaching etc. It may have what you're looking for. 

Kingsfield.

Good set up for kids .Think the Stephen Gallagher foundation is  based there.

Its a nine hole course but not purely par 3.

Good driving range.

Samuel Camazzola
34 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Kingsfield.

Good set up for kids .Think the Stephen Gallagher foundation is  based there.

Its a nine hole course but not purely par 3.

Good driving range.

That's the one. Kurt Mungall had a bit of input into the coaching back in the day. 👍 

That's the one. Kurt Mungall had a bit of input into the coaching back in the day. 👍 

Its a good set up.

My friend David Burns runs the Taylor Made Fitting Centre there. He is coach to Robert McIntyre and caddied for him for a spell last year.

What a life!!

18 minutes ago, kila said:

Is Vogrie Park still going? Was a fun 9 hole course.

Google results seem to suggest it's now foot golf 😐 

Closed end of March 2019.

Pity nice wee track.

Probably a housing estate by now.😡

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, merrymac said:

Its a good set up.

My friend David Burns runs the Taylor Made Fitting Centre there. He is coach to Robert McIntyre and caddied for him for a spell last year.

What a life!!

Certainly is. Is he out at the US Open with him now? 

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

Certainly is. Is he out at the US Open with him now? 

Don't know haven't spoken in a while. 

Not sure if he would be part of "the bubble" or if he would have to quarantine.

If so (have to quarantine)i doubt he would be.

Samuel Camazzola
48 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Don't know haven't spoken in a while. 

Not sure if he would be part of "the bubble" or if he would have to quarantine.

If so (have to quarantine)i doubt he would be.

I'd take the hit for that experience. 

I'd take the hit for that experience. 

Aye me too !

Think he is pretty busy though with the Foundation, the fitting work, and other players on his books.

22 hours ago, kila said:

Is Vogrie Park still going? Was a fun 9 hole course.

Google results seem to suggest it's now foot golf 😐 

Gutted when they shut the course, the foot golf thing was a real kick in the teeth to the golfers.