Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

How's everyone's game? 

Far from having a beautiful game at present, scrambling for par's on too many occasions, if my half decent short game leaves me I'm fecked.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, OBE said:

Far from having a beautiful game at present, scrambling for par's on too many occasions, if my half decent short game leaves me I'm fecked.

Bet you're enjoying it, tho. 👍

Just now, ri Alban said:

Bet you're enjoying it, tho. 👍

When on the golf course, focus is diverted from the current day-to-day shit. The golf course I play is out on a wee peninsula, from it you can see Musselburgh, Portobello and the big one Edinburgh, it really is far from the madding crowd. Enjoy it? Love it! There's always the elusive cracking score to be had the next time we tee it up eh?

1 hour ago, OBE said:

Sounds exactly like my game just now.

I've had 4 chip ins in the last 4 rounds. One for a bogey :lol:

8 hours ago, OBE said:

When on the golf course, focus is diverted from the current day-to-day shit. The golf course I play is out on a wee peninsula, from it you can see Musselburgh, Portobello and the big one Edinburgh, it really is far from the madding crowd. Enjoy it? Love it! There's always the elusive cracking score to be had the next time we tee it up eh?

:thumb:

Had a great day at Royal Dornoch last Saturday. Great to play the Championship course and a what an enjoyable course. Got decent weather, not too windy and the rain pretty much stayed away.

Had a couple good rounds in the days before, but form deserted me.

Sometimes unlucky, others just poor shot hitting.

Pars 3s.

Good a great 3 at the 2nd, nearly putting for birdie.

6th in the photo, hit a good 5i, but into the middle left bunker. Got it out at 2nd attempt and down the bank at the side:lol:, fluked it back on the green and two putts for a six.

Hit bunkers at the next 3 par 3s.

My mate off 8 won the Struie handicap prize after having 99 round the big course.🤭

Screenshot_2020-09-04-18-29-55-883_com.miui.gallery.png

Screenshot_2020-09-04-18-56-30-804_com.miui.gallery.png

joondalupjambo

Dumbarnie again tomorrow for my second visit and looking forward to it.  Weather to be kind again as well so happy days.

Samuel Camazzola
8 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Dumbarnie again tomorrow for my second visit and looking forward to it.  Weather to be kind again as well so happy days.

Do you know if the clubhouse is close to opening? When I was last there, September was the intended grand opening. 

I'll hopefully get back in the coming weeks for another game but would be good to coincide it with a visit to the clubhouse. 

Put a post up last year for recommendations for courses ended up going with Kilmarnock Barassie and rowallen castle off to play them this weekend, anyone played either of the courses before? 

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, Notts1874 said:

Annual round on The Old Course a fortnight today. Its not what you know it's who you know 😁😁

Good stuff. I played the Eden at the weekend and it was in great nick (as expected). 

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

Good stuff. I played the Eden at the weekend and it was in great nick (as expected). 

It's R&A Autumn prizes that week so they basically block out all the tee times. They never ever use them all as most would rather drink g+t than play golf. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

It's R&A Autumn prizes that week so they basically block out all the tee times. They never ever use them all as most would rather drink g+t than play golf. 

I'd have thought they'd be busier this year if there was a reluctance for some to just sit indoors. 

I'd have thought they'd be busier this year if there was a reluctance for some to just sit indoors. 

They won't be. No American members will travel over for it for example. 

St Andrews GC have already been given some tee times on the quiet, before they go to the ballot, I have one of those times. 

It also means the play won't be too slow with the lack of tourists. 

Samuel Camazzola

They won't be. No American members will travel over for it for example. 

St Andrews GC have already been given some tee times on the quiet, before they go to the ballot, I have one of those times. 

It also means the play won't be too slow with the lack of tourists. 

Are you a member of that club or playing as a guest of a member? I know a couple of folk therefore if there is scope for guests to play, I may have to tap up someone... 😄 

Are you a member of that club or playing as a guest of a member? I know a couple of folk therefore if there is scope for guests to play, I may have to tap up someone... 😄 

I'm a member. I'm playing with someone with a Links Trust ticket as well which reduces the price from £195😳😳😳😳 to £73.

I wouldn't go near the place for £195 to be honest. 

Samuel Camazzola

I'm a member. I'm playing with someone with a Links Trust ticket as well which reduces the price from £195😳😳😳😳 to £73.

I wouldn't go near the place for £195 to be honest. 

Is that the standard guest rate or are they using their 'guest points' to gain further discount? I got the Eden for £18 which is a bargain. 

Is that the standard guest rate or are they using their 'guest points' to gain further discount? I got the Eden for £18 which is a bargain. 

That's the discount for the Links Trust points. No other discounts on the Old even if a member of a club invites you. 

I suspect that might not apply to guests of R&A members mind you 😂😂

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, Notts1874 said:

That's the discount for the Links Trust points. No other discounts on the Old even if a member of a club invites you. 

I suspect that might not apply to guests of R&A members mind you 😂😂

That's a good price you've got. £195 is still reasonable compared to the £320+ Kingsbarns charge. 😳

2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

That's a good price you've got. £195 is still reasonable compared to the £320+ Kingsbarns charge. 😳

Yeah. I could apply for a Links Trust ticket but it would cost me £720 and with a massive waiting list. 

If I was a permanent resident I could get a five day ticket for £195.

Samuel Camazzola

Yeah. I could apply for a Links Trust ticket but it would cost me £720 and with a massive waiting list. 

If I was a permanent resident I could get a five day ticket for £195.

Does the five day include access to The Old and Castle or do you pay a £10 supplement? 

I got the impression at the beginning of the year that the wait for a Links tickets would have been one year (two max). That was from someone in the office. 

4 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Does the five day include access to The Old and Castle or do you pay a £10 supplement? 

I got the impression at the beginning of the year that the wait for a Links tickets would have been one year (two max). That was from someone in the office. 

Full access. The restricted ticket means you have to pay extra. 

They have loads of different levels of tickets and it just depends where availability comes( usually when someone dies😳) as to how long the wait could be in each category. 

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Full access. The restricted ticket means you have to pay extra. 

They have loads of different levels of tickets and it just depends where availability comes( usually when someone dies😳) as to how long the wait could be in each category. 

It was indicated to me that a £200 deposit could be paid and it was anticipated that the wait would be shorter than previous years. A membership at one of the clubs was needed though. 

It was indicated to me that a £200 deposit could be paid and it was anticipated that the wait would be shorter than previous years. A membership at one of the clubs was needed though. 

The Links Trust would obviously know how long the rough wait will be. 

It's definitely worth the money if you are going to use it enough. Pays for itself quickly. 

I'm too far away to justify it. The club membership costs me two thirds of bugger all in the grand scheme of things so not fussed about that. Being able to use the club when the Open is in town almost makes it worth paying on its own. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Notts1874 said:

The Links Trust would obviously know how long the rough wait will be. 

It's definitely worth the money if you are going to use it enough. Pays for itself quickly. 

I'm too far away to justify it. The club membership costs me two thirds of bugger all in the grand scheme of things so not fussed about that. Being able to use the club when the Open is in town almost makes it worth paying on its own. 

I agree. I went to the club when the Dunhill was on. Great vantage point looking down on the play from there. 

I agree. I went to the club when the Dunhill was on. Great vantage point looking down on the play from there. 

I remember you saying. Never been invited to that balcony unfortunately 😠😠

Samuel Camazzola
6 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

I remember you saying. Never been invited to that balcony unfortunately 😠😠

If you ever see the Official 2010 Open film, one of your former club captains is captured on the roof on the final day. 😄

joondalupjambo
On 07/09/2020 at 12:49, Samuel Camazzola said:

Do you know if the clubhouse is close to opening? When I was last there, September was the intended grand opening. 

I'll hopefully get back in the coming weeks for another game but would be good to coincide it with a visit to the clubhouse. 

Well another great day at Dumbarnie, early tee time so very little wind.  By the time we finished it was really blowing hard and a different course as to the morning.  They had four balls going out non stop all day so must be raking in the cash.  Clubhouse still miles off being ready and both the Pro and the Office Manger, who we know said looking like next year now for the clubhouse.  OM strongly hinted that the 94 quid for Fife golfers will be in place for next year but not sure on players from outwith Fife.  She said they may not need to fill as many tee times so would keep it to locals.

Also told us half the Hibs team played there on Monday last week I think they said, I immediately asked if they liked playing holes 5 and 1 but that was lost on the Pro.  He is from some Highland town and does not get out much I guess :pleased: 

Edited by joondalupjambo

Samuel Camazzola
40 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Well another great day at Dumbarnie, early tee time so very little wind.  By the time we finished it was really blowing hard and a different course as to the morning.  They had four balls going out non stop all day so must be raking in the cash.  Clubhouse still miles off being ready and both the Pro and the Office Manger, who we know said looking like next year now for the clubhouse.  OM strongly hinted that the 94 quid for Fife golfers will be in place for next year but not sure on players from outwith Fife.  She said they may not need to fill as many tee times so would keep it to locals.

Also told us half the Hibs team played there on Monday last week I think they said, I immediately asked if they liked playing holes 5 and 1 but that was lost on the Pro.  He is from some Highland town and does not get out much I guess :pleased: 

It looked busy going by their earlier Tweet. See yourself in the pic? 

Davy, the starter alluded to £94 rate remaining next year but unsure what would happen beyond that 

joondalupjambo
14 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

It looked busy going by their earlier Tweet. See yourself in the pic? 

Davy, the starter alluded to £94 rate remaining next year but unsure what would happen beyond that 

Nope not in the photo, this was taken later in the day.  We teed off at 8.10 am knowing that the wind would be lighter, local knowledge kicked in when booking 🙂

14 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

If the £94 rate is there for us Fifers next year then I'll definitely be back.

Moving to Dalgety Bay in November - I'll be taking up that offer! 

10 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Moving to Dalgety Bay in November - I'll be taking up that offer! 

Just to play Dumbarnie? Fair play :lol:

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You staying at Gullane or moving to a Fife club? Or both? 

Staying at Gullane - best value golf in the UK right there 3 courses for about £800... amazing and playable all year

I  Would never leave this club - The waiting list is closed and the people at the bottom have been told its about 20 years to get a membership! 

Also  - might move back to the east side of Edinburgh one day! 

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, Bigsmak said:

Staying at Gullane - best value golf in the UK right there 3 courses for about £800... amazing and playable all year

I  Would never leave this club - The waiting list is closed and the people at the bottom have been told its about 20 years to get a membership! 

Also  - might move back to the east side of Edinburgh one day! 

Do they have a local rate similar to the buttons residents of Carnoustie and St Andrews pay? 

Do they have a local rate similar to the buttons residents of Carnoustie and St Andrews pay? 

No - Thats the cost - There is an overseas members rate and maybe a country rate (if you live over 150 miles or something) - but its the same for everyone  - Happy Days

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

No - Thats the cost - There is an overseas members rate and maybe a country rate (if you live over 150 miles or something) - but its the same for everyone  - Happy Days

£800 for one course of that standard would be decent but three courses is immense. 

11 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

£800 for one course of that standard would be decent but three courses is immense. 

I know - We are very lucky here - I think it is £834 + 60 on my bar card.    

I can take people onto Number 1 

Member and 1 Guest £12.00

Member and 2 Guests £28.00

Member and 3 Guests £48.00

Number 2 is 

Member and 1 Guest £8.00

Member and 2 Guests £18.00

Member and 3 Guests £30.00

How good is that. But I am only allowed to take the same person on 1 time per month. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, Bigsmak said:

Number 2 is 

Member and 1 Guest £8.00

How good is that. But I am only allowed to take the same person on 1 time per month. 

I used to get day tickets in my school holidays back in the day. Junior tickets were about £25 and managed three rounds around 3. Loved the finishing stretch from 15 inwards. 

3 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Number 2 is 

Member and 1 Guest £8.00

Hiya Bigsmak, hiya pal

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Number 2 is 

Member and 1 Guest £8.00

Was meant to say, bit of a different pricing structure for guests. Usually the guest fee is constant or lowered if more players are introduced. Gullane seem to increase the guest fee per head when more come to play. 

Just played Harburn and done a stupid mistake, but now I'm unsure of what I should have done.

Put my ball quite close to a fence.

I decided to chip it into the bunker.

I was standing standing on a path to play the shot.

Now I'm thinking, I had the chance of taking relief from the path.

But the nearest point closest to the hole would have been another bunker.

Do you drop in a bunker?

Played the game for donkeys and never encountered this.

38 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Just played Harburn and done a stupid mistake, but now I'm unsure of what I should have done.

Put my ball quite close to a fence.

I decided to chip it into the bunker.

I was standing standing on a path to play the shot.

Now I'm thinking, I had the chance of taking relief from the path.

But the nearest point closest to the hole would have been another bunker.

Do you drop in a bunker?

Played the game for donkeys and never encountered this.

Hi Tommy,

Firstly - the path may have been an integral part of the course so no relief might have been available.

If it was through a local rule then relief would have been available and drop within the designated limits. As far as I can see if that's in a bunker so be it.

joondalupjambo

So under the new rules a three ball from different households cannot sit together in the club after a game?   Is that right because of the two household element of the rule?

29 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

So under the new rules a three ball from different households cannot sit together in the club after a game?   Is that right because of the two household element of the rule?

I was wondering that as well. Can play a 4 ball, but then you would need to split up to go for a pint after. 

joondalupjambo
6 minutes ago, neal-jambos said:

I was wondering that as well. Can play a 4 ball, but then you would need to split up to go for a pint after. 

Even under the old rules a four ball, unless some were related could not meet / sit together after a game because the rule was up to 8 people from maximum of three households. Four playets from four separate households was a no.  Our club has been 3 maximum since the 're-opening of the clubhouse.

That is why I was asking because now it looks like three balls need to split up which is going to stop folk going into the club house I would have thought if true.

1 minute ago, joondalupjambo said:

Even under the old rules a four ball, unless some were related could not meet / sit together after a game because the rule was up to 8 people from maximum of three households. Four playets from four separate households was a no.  Our club has been 3 maximum since the 're-opening of the clubhouse.

That is why I was asking because now it looks like three balls need to split up which is going to stop folk going into the club house I would have thought if true.

I didn't even think of that because our clubhouse has allowed you to sit in your 4 ball in the bar area so I didn't even think of the 3 households rule. 

I agree, people will stop going into the clubhouse if that's the case. I think ours has been fairly busy for meals, but the bar area always seems fairly empty, even when the FA cup final was on.

joondalupjambo
1 minute ago, neal-jambos said:

I didn't even think of that because our clubhouse has allowed you to sit in your 4 ball in the bar area so I didn't even think of the 3 households rule. 

I agree, people will stop going into the clubhouse if that's the case. I think ours has been fairly busy for meals, but the bar area always seems fairly empty, even when the FA cup final was on.

Pretty sure lots of clubs broke the four ball rule but it was clear from Scottish Golf and R&A what was expected from what I read after it was issued by our club.  Think that will be the reason clubhouses have been quiet if followed.

If this new rule hits three balls then I cannot see anyone going in unless it is two balls.  Assuming clubs follow the rules that is.