Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

10 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

My biggest gripe with some of the bigger courses, they seem to want monster par 3's. I want to stand on a par 3 and think what the **** do I do here?? I want a 7/8/9 iron in the hands.

It’s lazy course design nowadays. 200+ yard par 3’s . The best par 3’s are the shorter holes. Postage stamp, 17th sawgrass, 12th at Augusta and the 7th and pebble beach. 

looking forward to Tommy’s report on the par 3s’s at Dornoch..... don’t go right of the green on the first two par 3’s @Tommy Brown😂 BRUTAL.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

My biggest gripe with some of the bigger courses, they seem to want monster par 3's. I want to stand on a par 3 and think what the **** do I do here?? I want a 7/8/9 iron in the hands.

Wait until you see the 1st at Winterfield into the wind! 😂 

10 hours ago, Irufushi said:

It’s lazy course design nowadays. 200+ yard par 3’s . The best par 3’s are the shorter holes. Postage stamp, 17th sawgrass, 12th at Augusta and the 7th and pebble beach. 

looking forward to Tommy’s report on the par 3s’s at Dornoch..... don’t go right of the green on the first two par 3’s @Tommy Brown😂 BRUTAL.

Totally agree. They should be a test of your iron play. Played that 16th at Carnoustie the other week, 240 into a 20mph wind. Not an enjoyable hole.

7 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Wait until you see the 1st at Winterfield into the wind! 😂 

Especially when they used to have monster rough on the bank in front of the green.

Made it just as hard for those who laid up given the green lies across you.

One of the most difficult par 3's around- but not in a good way!!

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, merrymac said:

Especially when they used to have monster rough on the bank in front of the green.

Made it just as hard for those who laid up given the green lies across you.

One of the most difficult par 3's around- but not in a good way!!

That's when I played it. I imagine medals are ruined after 1st tee shot. 

15 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

That's when I played it. I imagine medals are ruined after 1st tee shot. 

I play winterfield regularly and I’ve lost too many balls hooked into the sea, sliced into the banking on the right, or even through the back of the green, so now play down and treat it as a par 4. I’m even relatively happy with a 5, and hope to make up the shots on 3,5 and 6 which are all drivable depending on the wind. 

holes 8 and 9 ruin my score more. Just 215 yard par 3s, but lost many a ball in the rough between the two, or out of bounds over the road onto the 18th. 

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, neal-jambos said:

I play winterfield regularly and I’ve lost too many balls hooked into the sea, sliced into the banking on the right, or even through the back of the green, so now play down and treat it as a par 4. I’m even relatively happy with a 5, and hope to make up the shots on 3,5 and 6 which are all drivable depending on the wind. 

holes 8 and 9 ruin my score more. Just 215 yard par 3s, but lost many a ball in the rough between the two, or out of bounds over the road onto the 18th. 

I can imagine a huge chunk of luck is needed on that hole more often than not. 

joondalupjambo
On 20/08/2020 at 19:49, merrymac said:

Back from Pumphy.

Course was decent, a bit wet in places, not unexpected after all the rain we have had.

Don't think they have been able to cut the fairways as they were a bit on the long side, which made the course play quite long.

Greens were nice to putt on, a bit slow, but very true. I putted well once I got used to the speed.

Enjoy your day.

Well last Thursday was wild to say the least, storms, high winds blowing across the fairways, down pours and then sunshine and cool breezes later on in the round.  I was actually surprised at how good the course was and liked a good few of the holes.  I had a varied round as you can imagine given the weather but finished with four pars and a birdie after suffering a good few double bogeys and a triple as well.

Highlights were my birdie at that pond hole , the 16th I think and driving the 225 yard par 3 to circa 10 feet, missed the putt of course but for those two holes was really chuffed. As you noted the rough was a bit wild and even the semi rough given the conditions was a bit of a mare.  Yardages were weird to gauge as well with the conditions and was hitting good struck four irons from 140 yards out in some of the holes and just getting onto the greens!!  Overall happy with the round and the course and luckily I won a free four ball in our outings lucky dip draw and so will be back.

Club house and social distancing though was a bit bad.  Their basic set up and one way systems were ok and masks in the shop were adhered to but inside the bar area locals who had just finished their rounds were just sitting next to each other in groups of six and eight.  Also our group were just set up for eating right next to each other, no spacing and so these two things are definitely not following the guidance handed down by Scottish Golf.  Apart from that a nice clubhouse, great views and the food was fine.

8 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Well last Thursday was wild to say the least, storms, high winds blowing across the fairways, down pours and then sunshine and cool breezes later on in the round.  I was actually surprised at how good the course was and liked a good few of the holes.  I had a varied round as you can imagine given the weather but finished with four pars and a birdie after suffering a good few double bogeys and a triple as well.

Highlights were my birdie at that pond hole , the 16th I think and driving the 225 yard par 3 to circa 10 feet, missed the putt of course but for those two holes was really chuffed. As you noted the rough was a bit wild and even the semi rough given the conditions was a bit of a mare.  Yardages were weird to gauge as well with the conditions and was hitting good struck four irons from 140 yards out in some of the holes and just getting onto the greens!!  Overall happy with the round and the course and luckily I won a free four ball in our outings lucky dip draw and so will be back.

Club house and social distancing though was a bit bad.  Their basic set up and one way systems were ok and masks in the shop were adhered to but inside the bar area locals who had just finished their rounds were just sitting next to each other in groups of six and eight.  Also our group were just set up for eating right next to each other, no spacing and so these two things are definitely not following the guidance handed down by Scottish Golf.  Apart from that a nice clubhouse, great views and the food was fine.

Glad you had a good day.

Some really good holes and some really tough holes (especially the 2nd).

I didn't go into the clubhouse but doesn't sound great.

I know at my course the tables are well spaced, only four per table again well spaced, and waitress service only.

Hopefully you will get a MUCH better day for your revisit

I finished in the top ten in the seniors open so well pleased (105 entry).

On 21/08/2020 at 22:48, hmfc_liam06 said:

There's a 224 yard (uphill) par 3 on my course that I've taken to just playing as a par 4 and laying up short with an iron. If I go for the green I end up in the trees to the left 9 times out of 10.

12 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

There's a 224 yard (uphill) par 3 on my course that I've taken to just playing as a par 4 and laying up short with an iron. If I go for the green I end up in the trees to the left 9 times out of 10.

Open up your stance and fade it in there.

I went to my range today to try out the new top tracer Equipment  and was shocked at my launch angle on my driver it was at an average 7. Some were as low as 5! I knew I hit it low but didn’t think it was that low. They say it should be around 11-13 . Average carry was 255 (only 8 yards more than my 3 wood😂)

1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

I went to my range today to try out the new top tracer Equipment  and was shocked at my launch angle on my driver it was at an average 7. Some were as low as 5! I knew I hit it low but didn’t think it was that low. They say it should be around 11-13 . Average carry was 255 (only 8 yards more than my 3 wood😂)

How wide is your stance with the driver and are you transferring all your weight over during the down swing or holding back a little? Got to release that driver earlier than an iron or wood and holding back a little helps.

I'm suffering from the same issue with my driver right now, I often revert to an iron/wood swing/release and hit down through the ball. Even my slices are lower :laugh:

41 minutes ago, kila said:

How wide is your stance with the driver and are you transferring all your weight over during the down swing or holding back a little? Got to release that driver earlier than an iron or wood and holding back a little helps.

I'm suffering from the same issue with my driver right now, I often revert to an iron/wood swing/release and hit down through the ball. Even my slices are lower :laugh:

Fairly wide stance, thing is I think I hit my irons an average height I would say. Driver /3 wood and definitely lower trajectory than I would like but I get good run out from hitting it that low 😂

This game confuses me.  I played twice last weekend and shot 84 and 83.  Today.. Was a 73 (2 over) -  I birdied all 3 par 5s and played the par 3s in level.  I was relaxed and enjoyed it... 

Last week was medals - today was for fun! 

2 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Fairly wide stance, thing is I think I hit my irons an average height I would say. Driver /3 wood and definitely lower trajectory than I would like but I get good run out from hitting it that low 😂

Hitting down into the ball with an iron/wood is the way to do it because the grooves put spin on the ball and that helps with flight and control landing onto the greens, where as the driver has none to limit spin as much as possible for a good runout. It'll make a difference if you can get a higher launch trajectory, especially down wind.

This Nike advert from a decade or so ago was one of the few I'd stop what I was doing to watch whenever it aired, got goosebumps from it  :D  He makes it looks so easy, releasing the driver and hitting up onto the ball a little while swinging at 125 mph.

3 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Exact same issue as me. I even had a wee 4 degree in there! I'm definitely going for a few lessons over the winter to address my driver. My bad shot is a sky, due to me hitting the driver in a similar fashion to an iron shot, getting right under it.

Driver is ropey as anything just now actually, when it has been good this year I've been getting a nice draw but its just completely gone.

Samuel Camazzola

Played Craigmillar Park over the weekend. First time I've been there in 10+ years and enjoyed it a lot. Not the longest of courses but a good variety of holes. 

Played pretty well and found the greens to be running well. 

My only gripe was the 11th tee now features a permanent mat for the gent's tee. Its a par 3 approx 120 yards but don't think it needs to be removed from the grass. 

Its Open has attracted a lot of big names in the past with winners involving Marc Warren (twice), Andrew Oldcorn and a guy who had a reasonable career - a Mr N Faldo! 

9 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Played Craigmillar Park over the weekend. First time I've been there in 10+ years and enjoyed it a lot. Not the longest of courses but a good variety of holes. 

My only gripe was the 11th tee now features a permanent mat for the gent's tee. Its a par 3 approx 120 yards but don't think it needs to be removed from the grass. 

Its Open has attracted a lot of big names in the past with winners involving Marc Warren (twice), Andrew Oldcorn and a guy who had a reasonable career - a Mr N Faldo! 

I heard there was a six figure donation to the club last year to help with finances. Wonder who it was?

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, kila said:

I heard there was a six figure donation to the club last year to help with finances. Wonder who it was?

Marc Warren is married to a girl who's dad was captain or secretary several years ago. Could be him?

Talk of a new clubhouse being built up the hill towards the Observatory too. 

22 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Not sure if this is still the case, but I think in previous years it was a ballot for their open as you had to have a h/cap around 2 or better? Perhaps merrymac might be able to confirm?

Samuel Camazzola
6 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Not sure if this is still the case, but I think in previous years it was a ballot for their open as you had to have a h/cap around 2 or better? Perhaps merrymac might be able to confirm?

That would likely be the case. The winners list is quite an established bunch and must hold a bit of prestige to attract the names. Faldo winning it will act as a good selling point too. 

3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm pretty sure Brooks koepka has played at Craigmillar in a competitive round 

joondalupjambo
8 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Played Craigmillar Park over the weekend. 

And on the last round that day when said Mr N Faldo was playing guess who was in front of him?  Yep it was yours truly.  Unfortunately not playing, I am not that good but caddying for Sandy Stephen.  Jeez that must have been a long time ago, circa 1975 maybe?  Just checked it was 76.  Faldo won it and think Sandy was in or around the top four because I got a good few bob that day once he got his winning vouchers and they magically turned into cash after his visit to the pro shop.

joondalupjambo
14 hours ago, merrymac said:

Glad you had a good day.

Some really good holes and some really tough holes (especially the 2nd).

I didn't go into the clubhouse but doesn't sound great.

I know at my course the tables are well spaced, only four per table again well spaced, and waitress service only.

Hopefully you will get a MUCH better day for your revisit

I finished in the top ten in the seniors open so well pleased (105 entry).

I had that good  a day I said I was there on Thursday when indeed it was the Friday.  I should have been in the Seniors Open with you, my head at my age :mellow:  Well done on getting in the top ten because doing that in any competition off the back tees is a great result.

The 2nd was a shame because in both rounds, morning and afternoon the weather was at it's worst when we played it and I three putted both times coming from the exact same position,  a spot on the right hand side as you look at the green just inside the GUR line, downhill run but pin high.  Sixes both times when I felt five's would have been good but the wind and rain made it a killer.  In normal, dry condition with a bit of run in the fairway I guess you can clear the trees with a drive and bang in a five wood I reckon.  Oh for those type of days because it must catch a load of folk out and racking up seven's and eights must be common.

Looking forward to going back for sure.

8 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

That would likely be the case. The winners list is quite an established bunch and must hold a bit of prestige to attract the names. Faldo winning it will act as a good selling point too. 

Thinking back, I'm sure it was a scratch competition and unless you're official h/cap was scratch or better you had little chance of being excepted and being balloted out.

5 hours ago, Bill Bones said:

I'm pretty sure Brooks koepka has played at Craigmillar in a competitive round 

He may well have done as the competition attracted some of the top armatures not only from the UK but also further afield.  

49 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

And on the last round that day when said Mr N Faldo was playing guess who was in front of him?  Yep it was yours truly.  Unfortunately not playing, I am not that good but caddying for Sandy Stephen.  Jeez that must have been a long time ago, circa 1975 maybe?  Just checked it was 76.  Faldo won it and think Sandy was in or around the top four because I got a good few bob that day once he got his winning vouchers and they magically turned into cash after his visit to the pro shop.

Didn't Sandy Stephen end up teaching at the American Golf Center up the Braids near the end of his playing days. I'm sure I had lessons from him many moos ago lol

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

Great stuff! I assume he had established a bit of a profile for himself in his pre professional days too? 

Marc Warren has won it twice and a couple of established Walker Cup players have won it too (Scotland's Craig Watson is one who has been successful on a couple of occasions). 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Great stuff! I assume he had established a bit of a profile for himself in his pre professional days too? 

Marc Warren has won it twice and a couple of established Walker Cup players have won it too (Scotland's Craig Watson is one who has been successful on a couple of occasions). 

Nice write up about previous winners etc from 9 years ago ...

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf-craigmillar-park-open-nifty-fifty-1680180

Samuel Camazzola
8 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Nice write up about previous winners etc from 9 years ago ...

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf-craigmillar-park-open-nifty-fifty-1680180

Cheers - thanks for sharing. 

I see John Gallagher is on there. I played against him many years ago. Cracking player but plays cack-handed. Strange to see a player of that standard play that way. 

8 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I see John Gallagher is on there. I played against him many years ago. Cracking player but plays cack-handed. Strange to see a player of that standard play that way. 

Yeah I know both John and his dad. John reached a cracking level of golf playing cack-handed. 

1 hour ago, Jambo314 said:

Yeah I know both John and his dad. John reached a cracking level of golf playing cack-handed. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

3 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Hi Guys,

A bit of nostalgia here for me discussing the Craigmillar Park Open .

What a coincidence @joondalupjambo  as I was caddying for the said Sir Nick Faldo when he won . I was a member at Craigmillar at the time, and the Captain was my next door neighbor who was providing accommodation  for Nick. We played a practice round,and he asked me to caddy.(I was on the reserve list to play.)

In those days I think you needed to be at least one handicap  to enter,and as far as I know now its only plus handicaps who get in.

Sandy is still at Braids as far as I know,he was a cracking player ,played out of Broomieknowe for many years.

Aye the memories 😂

3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Hi Guys,

What a coincidence @joondalupjambo  as I was caddying for the said Sir Nick Faldo when he won . I was a member at Craigmillar at the time, and the Captain was my next door neighbor who was providing accommodation  for Nick. We played a practice round,and he asked me to caddy.(I was on the reserve list to play.)

In those days I think you needed to be at least one handicap  to enter,and as far as I know now its only plus handicaps who get in.

Sandy is still at Braids as far as I know,he was a cracking player ,played out of Broomieknowe for many years.

Aye the memories 😂

I knew you would have some good contribution about the Craigmillar Park Open mac, but WOW how much coincidence is that you caddied for Faldo when he won it 😃👌

1 minute ago, Jambo314 said:

I knew you would have some good contribution about the Craigmillar Park Open mac, but WOW how much coincidence is that you caddied for Faldo when he won it 😃👌

Aye still got just enough memory left to remember it😂

Good to hear from you mate, hope your keeping well👍

3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Aye still got just enough memory left to remember it😂

Good to hear from you mate, hope your keeping well👍

I know the feeling only too well mm😂

I'm fine pal hope you're are too and congrats on you're top 10 finish at Pumphy obviously still plenty life in the old dog yet 😁😉

2 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

I know the feeling only too well mm😂

I'm fine pal hope you're are too and congrats on you're top 10 finish at Pumphy obviously still plenty life in the old dog yet 😁😉

Aye its been a poor year for competitive golfers, but good turn out at Pumphy.

Think folk are desperate to play some real golf again.

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Aye the memories 😂

Yep still at the Braids as far as I know.  http://www.sandystephengolf.co.uk/  He was an absolute natural.

Life is full of coincidences as we all know.  I knew Sandy back then because we worked in the same Architects office in Granton, I was the office junior and Sandy was working on the drawing side of things.  It was at that same time he got to the third round of the Open and played with Lee Trevino.  He came back to the office after that a changed guy and from that point on it was always on his mind to turn Pro.  

He was brought up in Largo, Fife and lo and behold that is where I moved to in the early 90's.  He was a member at Lundin Golf Club as I am now.  It is all very spooky given how we met and where I have ended up.  He is not back in Largo much but his photo's still hang proudly in the club where he is an Honorary member.  Some of his mates are still kicking around albeit they will be late 60's, early 70's.

I remember being on the 18th green and Sandy saying about the young guy that was behind us for the round could be the next best thing.  Little did we both know at the time.

Edited by joondalupjambo

Yep still at the Braids as far as I know.  http://www.sandystephengolf.co.uk/  He was an absolute natural.

Life is full of coincidences as we all know.  I knew Sandy back then because we worked in the same Architects office in Granton, I was the office junior and Sandy was working on the drawing side of things.  It was at that same time he got to the third round of the Open and played with Lee Trevino.  He came back to the office after that a changed guy and from that point on it was always on his mind to turn Pro.  

He was brought up in Largo, Fife and lo and behold that is where I moved to in the early 90's.  He was a member at Lundin Golf Club as I am now.  It is all very spooky given how we met and where I have ended up.  He is not back in Largo much but his photo's still hang proudly in the club where he is an Honorary member.  Some of his mates are still kicking around albeit they will be late 60's, early 70's.

I remember being on the 18th green and Sandy saying about the young guy that was behind us for the round could be the next best thing.  Little did we both know at the time.

Just wish he had offered me the job full time:whistling:

He turned pro a few weeks later, and won a tournament within months,I  might have been minted by now, and seen the world.

He was a bit of a hot head in those days, and the swing was very different to how it ended up.The sound off the club was unbelievable, and my memory probably fails me, but I think he won by about 10 shots.

It was the policy then to invite top players from round the UK, as it was the first big tournament (72 holes) of the season in the UK (April).

Can you remember what the official title was back then?

1 minute ago, kila said:

What was it about Craigmillar Park that could attract big names to its open?

The fact that it was early in the season( Chance to impress selectors), and the fact that it was 72 holes.

They used to also extend invites to top UK amateurs (with accommodation provided.)

Always remember a guy called Reg Glading, who was an English international and came for many years.

It was also one of the first big amateur sponsored event so the prizes were massive compared to your standard 18/36 hole event.

As a past member I can honestly say it was not the standard of the course, which was a short layout even back then, if they got decent weather they would murder it.

13 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Just wish he had offered me the job full time:whistling:

He turned pro a few weeks later, and won a tournament within months,I  might have been minted by now, and seen the world.

He was a bit of a hot head in those days, and the swing was very different to how it ended up.The sound off the club was unbelievable, and my memory probably fails me, but I think he won by about 10 shots.

It was the policy then to invite top players from round the UK, as it was the first big tournament (72 holes) of the season in the UK (April).

Can you remember what the official title was back then?

In 1961 the Craigmillar Park Open (formerly the King George IV Trophy) was inaugurated in early April of that year and has been played for every year since. 

https://www.craigmillarpark.co.uk/club_history

Samuel Camazzola

Am I right in saying there was a bit of a drama this summer involving the captain resigning etc...? 

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Am I right in saying there was a bit of a drama this summer involving the captain resigning etc...? 

Yeah the Match Committee resigned enmass and a couple of days later the Captain chucked it as well.  Apparently the issue with the Match Committee was the straw that broke the camel's back.  Now we have a Vice who cannot be appointed until the next AGM, assuming he gets the votes that is😃

Course just recovering from a fortnight ago....back to square one after today's weather.

Got a feeling many courses will become bogs very soon and not recover until next season again. The joys.

Samuel Camazzola
55 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yeah the Match Committee resigned enmass and a couple of days later the Captain chucked it as well.  Apparently the issue with the Match Committee was the straw that broke the camel's back.  Now we have a Vice who cannot be appointed until the next AGM, assuming he gets the votes that is😃

What upset the committee? 

4 hours ago, merrymac said:

The fact that it was early in the season( Chance to impress selectors), and the fact that it was 72 holes.

They used to also extend invites to top UK amateurs (with accommodation provided.)

Always remember a guy called Reg Glading, who was an English international and came for many years.

It was also one of the first big amateur sponsored event so the prizes were massive compared to your standard 18/36 hole event.

As a past member I can honestly say it was not the standard of the course, which was a short layout even back then, if they got decent weather they would murder it.

4 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

In 1961 the Craigmillar Park Open (formerly the King George IV Trophy) was inaugurated in early April of that year and has been played for every year since. 

https://www.craigmillarpark.co.uk/club_history

Thanks, I hadn't appreciated such a significant history when I played it a few times in the past.

I do love courses with big changes in elevation. The par 3 down over the burn, and the 18th were great fun. I really should play it again sometime soon, it was next on my list to join after Prestonfield when Lothianburn went bust.

3 minutes ago, kila said:

Thanks, I hadn't appreciated such a significant history when I played it a few times in the past.

I do love courses with big changes in elevation. The par 3 down over the burn, and the 18th were great fun. I really should play it again sometime soon, it was next on my list to join after Prestonfield when Lothianburn went bust.

Give the Braids golf course a try if you've not already tried it.

Samuel Camazzola
10 minutes ago, kila said:

It had been a while since I played it and in that period, the 15th tee has been relocated to behind 14th green. It's the hole I once lipped out for a hole in 1 only to three putt for a bogey! 😂