Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

3 minutes ago, neal-jambos said:

Got my first ever eagle on Saturday on the 18th at Duns after hitting my 3 wood from about 240 yards out to 5 foot! Still finished with a 91, after shooting +15 on the front 9 :lol: Golf is such a frustrating sport. I hit nearly every fairway but my approach play was erratic. Usually it is the other way round.

Does anyone have any course recommendations in the Edinburgh area for less than £40 a round? Slowly improving but want to play different courses. Couldn't justify paying much more than that just now in case I have a mare and hate it.

Looking at the £80 (west course), £100 (east Course) 4 ball offers at Dalmahoy but not heard much about it other than the east course being long.

My over riding emotion of the East course was boredom.

I'm not an Edinburgh native but I've played Liberton, Broomieknowe, Swanston, Prestonfield, Bruntsfield (out of your price range) and Silverknowes. I'd definitely recommend the first three.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, neal-jambos said:

Got my first ever eagle on Saturday on the 18th at Duns after hitting my 3 wood from about 240 yards out to 5 foot! Still finished with a 91, after shooting +15 on the front 9 :lol: Golf is such a frustrating sport. I hit nearly every fairway but my approach play was erratic. Usually it is the other way round.

Does anyone have any course recommendations in the Edinburgh area for less than £40 a round? Slowly improving but want to play different courses. Couldn't justify paying much more than that just now in case I have a mare and hate it.

Looking at the £80 (west course), £100 (east Course) 4 ball offers at Dalmahoy but not heard much about it other than the east course being long.

Royal Musselburgh and Haddington

Just now, sinks said:

Royal Musselburgh and Haddington

Cheers. I looked at haddington last week but ended up playing Eyemouth instead. I'll need to give it a shot. 

Samuel Camazzola
19 minutes ago, neal-jambos said:

I used to play in team matches and opens in and around Edinburgh. The only ones I can't pass opinion on are The Merchants (drove past it many a time), Royal Burgess and a couple of the council owned courses. 

IMO, avoid Dalmahoy. It's not up to much and pretty underwhelming. For playability and enjoyment since you've been getting into the game, Gullane 3, Liberton and King's Acre are all recommended. All in great condition, not long and rates should be pretty reasonable. 

35 minutes ago, merrymac said:

How was Linlithgow?

Decent aye, actually better than I remembered it. Definitely not a course for everyone I'd imagine, some very interesting holes. 

Hit 36 points, didn't play particularly great to be honest, my up and down saved the round.

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Decent aye, actually better than I remembered it. Definitely not a course for everyone I'd imagine, some very interesting holes. 

Hit 36 points, didn't play particularly great to be honest, my up and down saved the round.

decent to play to handicap round there👍 Some holes will trip you up if your not on your game.

Used to play it quite a lot in league matches when I was a member at Deer Park a number of years ago.

Definitely more playable when it is soft, can be a nightmare if it gets firm and bouncy (insert Kenneth Williams gif) 

Got anything else coming up? I am at Pumpherston in their seniors open this week.

1 minute ago, merrymac said:

decent to play to handicap round there👍 Some holes will trip you up if your not on your game.

Used to play it quite a lot in league matches when I was a member at Deer Park a number of years ago.

Definitely more playable when it is soft, can be a nightmare if it gets firm and bouncy (insert Kenneth Williams gif) 

Got anything else coming up? I am at Pumpherston in their seniors open this week.

It was actually quite firm considering, not sure how bad they got the rain on Tues. Quite a few greens I landed by second short of the green only for it to run straight through.

Nothing much lined up, will probably just go with a few late entries here and there.

Samuel Camazzola
On 14/08/2020 at 19:00, Samuel Camazzola said:

What is the best site to review what opens are being played? Always found the Scottish Golf site a bit of a faff! 

Further to this, I've found that the BRS app is a good tool for reviewing what opens are planned. Although it'll only display what clubs utilise BRS, it's probably the best I've seen so far for easy navigation and quick searches. 

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It was actually quite firm considering, not sure how bad they got the rain on Tues. Quite a few greens I landed by second short of the green only for it to run straight through.

Nothing much lined up, will probably just go with a few late entries here and there.

👍

Good to see a few Opens stating to pop back up.

Chance for a bit of competitive golf towards the end of the season at least.

1 minute ago, merrymac said:

👍

Good to see a few Opens stating to pop back up.

Chance for a bit of competitive golf towards the end of the season at least.

We're fortunate to have had club competition since golf returned, but it's good to get out and about elsewhere. 

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

We're fortunate to have had club competition since golf returned, but it's good to get out and about elsewhere. 

My club has been a bit slow in getting competitions back. Only had 3 medals to date.

Been pushing them to slot a few more back in.

9 hours ago, neal-jambos said:

Try golf now.com

joondalupjambo

For whatever reason our tour leader chose this course we are playing Pumpherston on Friday, must have been a cheap deal.  Brekkie, 18 holes, sandwich lunch, 9 holes and afternoon tea for who know's what :)  He takes a 30 quid deposit in April and then tells us the balance on arrival at the course :huh:

Anyway with this week's forecast I am assuming it might be a bit of a mud bath when we play?  Anyone local or who has played the course like to guess what it could be like?

Last time I played I was in early years at secondary school and that was a long, long time ago.

2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

For whatever reason our tour leader chose this course we are playing Pumpherston on Friday, must have been a cheap deal.  Brekkie, 18 holes, sandwich lunch, 9 holes and afternoon tea for who know's what :)  He takes a 30 quid deposit in April and then tells us the balance on arrival at the course :huh:

Anyway with this week's forecast I am assuming it might be a bit of a mud bath when we play?  Anyone local or who has played the course like to guess what it could be like?

Last time I played I was in early years at secondary school and that was a long, long time ago.

Its now a really good track, now 18 holes ,brand new clubhouse, great practice facilities.you won't recognize it.

It might be a bit wet in places after all the rain forecast this week, but drainage is much better than it used to be.

I am playing it on Thurs in an open, so will let you know what its like 👍

Disser Pointon

Well, after saying I wouldn't play this week because I'm trying to rest a small fracture in my pinkie, I'm now playing in the midweek medal at Musselburgh tomorrow and Dunbar on Thursday. Then playing Gleneagles Wednesday, North Berwick Friday, Musselburgh Saturday, Royal Musselburgh Sunday and Gleneagles again Monday.............................guess the finger is going to have to wait to heal!!

joondalupjambo
3 hours ago, merrymac said:

Its now a really good track, now 18 holes ,brand new clubhouse, great practice facilities.you won't recognize it.

It might be a bit wet in places after all the rain forecast this week, but drainage is much better than it used to be.

I am playing it on Thurs in an open, so will let you know what its like 👍

Cheers look forward to hearing how you get on.

Most people who have played Merchants tend to say they hate it.   I dare say a few say the same who have never played it.   I absolutely love the wee gem.   Very short but it's got a lot of variety to it.   I once had an eagle putt from the edge of the 18th for a 29 back (ended with 30) but it's just as easy to hit no sort of score because it's so tight.    I thoroughly recommend a game there but I hope it's not windy for you.

William H. Bonney
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Most people who have played Merchants tend to say they hate it.   I dare say a few say the same who have never played it.   I absolutely love the wee gem.   Very short but it's got a lot of variety to it.   I once had an eagle putt from the edge of the 18th for a 29 back (ended with 30) but it's just as easy to hit no sort of score because it's so tight.    I thoroughly recommend a game there but I hope it's not windy for you.

it’s where I pretty much learned the game. I was a member from 1990-2002. It’s very short, but very tight. I have lists of great memories from there. 
Whenever I’m up there for a social function I always bore people by showing them my name on a trophy in the cabinet. 

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

We get it free as part of a reciprocal deal.

I'll definitely try it someday.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, Victorian said:

How many holes are across the road, Vic? It's one of them where our club were never drawn in the same section and I didn't play in their Opens. 

I had never played Torphin but whilst at Lothianburn, we were granted access Mon to Fri and I eventually got a round before its closure. A few crazy holes after the 2nd then when you got on to the flat up the hill, it was OK. 

I see this just before the Chase comes on. 

What course is it?

IMG_20200819_170522.jpg

Edit:

Think I've sussed it from Google maps.

But not found the same or similar image.

Won't say. See who wins the prize.

Edited by Tommy Brown

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

I see this just before the Chase comes on. 

What course is it?

IMG_20200819_170522.jpg

Edit:

Think I've sussed it from Google maps.

But not found the same or similar image.

Won't say. See who wins the prize.

Tommy

Are you a member at Pumpherston?

Got an Open there tomorrow. How's it playing?

Cheers

MM

39 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Tommy

Are you a member at Pumpherston?

Got an Open there tomorrow. How's it playing?

Cheers

MM

Not been up this week, but it should be good. Greens playing very well.

We are to get s heavy rain overnight, so as you know there are pretty wet areas about the course.

General condition has been pretty good this year.

Have a good one.

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I had never played Torphin but whilst at Lothianburn, we were granted access Mon to Fri and I eventually got a round before its closure. A few crazy holes after the 2nd then when you got on to the flat up the hill, it was OK. 

Played Torphin a few times in the 80s. They used to run an open on Victoria Day, it was an Edinburgh holiday back in the day. When you entered, you got a practice round also.

Went up on lovely summer night, stunning course to play once up on the hill. Panoramic views to die for.

Went back on competition and wind was horrendous, so was the golf.

It was bloody impossible.

Good memories, always stuck up for it.

25 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Not been up this week, but it should be good. Greens playing very well.

We are to get s heavy rain overnight, so as you know there are pretty wet areas about the course.

General condition has been pretty good this year.

Have a good one.

Cheers Mate.

You got me with the golf course. thought it was Castle Stuart but don't think so on closer look.

Samuel Camazzola
14 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Played Torphin a few times in the 80s. They used to run an open on Victoria Day, it was an Edinburgh holiday back in the day. When you entered, you got a practice round also.

Went up on lovely summer night, stunning course to play once up on the hill. Panoramic views to die for.

Went back on competition and wind was horrendous, so was the golf.

It was bloody impossible.

Good memories, always stuck up for it.

First two holes were decent little holes, tee'd off on 3 to a flat little landing zone then things got 'interesting'. My playing partner hit a high draw as his approach which would head OB on any other course. Trampolined off the high fence up the left and found himself a few feet for an easy 3! 😂 On 4, we had no idea what was ahead of us or high far the climb was. Quite a trek if I recall. 5 was the opposite. 300ish par 4 but could be driven with a 5 iron. 

I played on a summer evening and recall still having daylight well after 10pm with stunning views. 

A shame it's another that was lost to lack of funds. 

5 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

How many holes are across the road, Vic? It's one of them where our club were never drawn in the same section and I didn't play in their Opens. 

Answered already.   That can be a bit hairy actually,  getting over the road.   The best stretch is the last 6 after you get to the top after the demanding climb up 10, 11, 12.   

Loved Torphin.   3rd and 4th were a bit daft but a really nice course after that.

Edited by Victorian

On 18/08/2020 at 13:49, joondalupjambo said:

Cheers look forward to hearing how you get on.

Back from Pumphy.

Course was decent, a bit wet in places, not unexpected after all the rain we have had.

Don't think they have been able to cut the fairways as they were a bit on the long side, which made the course play quite long.

Greens were nice to putt on, a bit slow, but very true. I putted well once I got used to the speed.

Enjoy your day.

Played Pumpherston yesterday and today also    ( I'm a member) +16 of a difference between yesterday and today😠

A new PB 74 (+6) for me tonight. Will see me cut to 11. Hoping the CSS stays at 67 which will see me down to 11.2.

My long game wasn't particularly great, probably the weakest it's been all year and missed GIR also poor but hands down the best I've ever played in and around the greens. 6 wedges inside 4 feet, a further 3 inside 8 feet and 24 putts.

Putt for dough indeed!

2 hours ago, weegranty said:

Played Pumpherston yesterday and today also    ( I'm a member) +16 of a difference between yesterday and today😠

I was playing in the Senior open today.

Course was very nice mate,👍 given all the wet weather.

That 2nd hole is still a monster though😂 Made a very careful 5 .

28 minutes ago, merrymac said:

I was playing in the Senior open today.

Course was very nice mate,👍 given all the wet weather.

That 2nd hole is still a monster though😂 Made a very careful 5 .

Yes that bloody 2ND hole has cost me a lot of balls over the years,including one today,yesterday found the green with my second shot then 3 putted😁.Glad you enjoyed today.

15 minutes ago, weegranty said:

Yes that bloody 2ND hole has cost me a lot of balls over the years,including one today,yesterday found the green with my second shot then 3 putted😁.Glad you enjoyed today.

It must be in the running for the hardest hole in the Lothians😡

32 minutes ago, merrymac said:

It must be in the running for the hardest hole in the Lothians😡

Get a decent drive and it will leave you a downhill lie for your second shot,I struggle with this hole although I have parred it a few times.

Disser Pointon

First cut in as long as I can remember, net 68 in the midweek medal at Monktonhall. Got beat by 1 shot........................and missed 3 putts from 2 feet. 😡

Samuel Camazzola
55 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

I think Dustin Johnson needs piss tested. 
-9 through 8 holes. 

-11 through 12. He had a birdie putt on 12 too. 

He's going to shoot a score which some hackers card as a front 9!😂

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Just got our tee times for Royal Dornoch next Saturday.

36 hole open Championship & Struie courses.

Grantown on Spey on Sunday

All great courses (Royal Dornoch my all time favourite) Grantown is lovely too, not long but can be tricky. 

16 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

All great courses (Royal Dornoch my all time favourite) Grantown is lovely too, not long but can be tricky. 

I've never even set foot in the place never mind play it.

Most folk that have played it, say it's the best.

Just hope the weather is decent.

Should be a great weekend.

37 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I've never even set foot in the place never mind play it.

Most folk that have played it, say it's the best.

Just hope the weather is decent.

Should be a great weekend.

For me it’s definitely the best, hopefully you’ll agree. It’s a special place, made even more special by the people who run the place. Most welcoming and very relaxed atmosphere.

14 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

For me it’s definitely the best, hopefully you’ll agree. It’s a special place, made even more special by the people who run the place. Most welcoming and very relaxed atmosphere.

Very strict about the handicap though. Max 12. I am 12.3.

Under no circumstances, will I have been allowed to play if I went up to 12.5.

I have ditched all comps until next week. I will play Greenburn Seniors on Thurs. I have shielding until start of August.

31 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Royal Dornoch and Muirfield the best two courses I have played, most definitely. 

The Par 3s on RD are magnificent. Miss the green and they will swallow you up. Not played it since they changed the 7th & 8th holes. Hopefully they are a good addition. ... 14th hole (Foxy) is a beautifully simple links golf hole....but fiendishly difficult.

A magical place.

8 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

Royal Dornoch and Muirfield the best two courses I have played, most definitely. 

The Par 3s on RD are magnificent. Miss the green and they will swallow you up. Not played it since they changed the 7th & 8th holes. Hopefully they are a good addition. ... 14th hole (Foxy) is a beautifully simple links golf hole....but fiendishly difficult.

A magical place.

The par 3’s are brilliant, proper par 3’s that don’t need to be 200+ yards. 

I last played it when they were just finishing the groundwork on the 7th, was amazing to see the exact replica of the hole moved over 50 yards or so. 

3 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

The par 3’s are brilliant, proper par 3’s that don’t need to be 200+ yards. 

I last played it when they were just finishing the groundwork on the 7th, was amazing to see the exact replica of the hole moved over 50 yards or so. 

My biggest gripe with some of the bigger courses, they seem to want monster par 3's. I want to stand on a par 3 and think what the **** do I do here?? I want a 7/8/9 iron in the hands.