Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06

Lost in the first round of the club championship match play last night.

Back and forth match, AS down 15...left a tee shot 90 yards short of the green, he topped his. Only for me to end up chunking then blading a wedge and losing the hole, ultimately costing me the match. 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Disser Pointon

Edzell on Friday followed by a 60 man outing on Trump Aberdeen on Saturday. Weather looking decent as well so hoping it stays that way as it was blowing a hoolie the last time I played Trump. 

hmfc_liam06
13 minutes ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Edzell on Friday followed by a 60 man outing on Trump Aberdeen on Saturday. Weather looking decent as well so hoping it stays that way as it was blowing a hoolie the last time I played Trump. 

Edzell looks like a great track.

Disser Pointon
46 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Also, are Trump still doing their Scottish rates? I couldn't see it last time I checked.

Not sure mate, we're all on with members. Never played Edzell but supposed to be good. 

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Also, are Trump still doing their Scottish rates? I couldn't see it last time I checked.

The latest Bunkered magazine has a Trump advert stating prices are from £125pp. This sounds in line with Scottish rates based on their standard fee. 

The same advert also quotes a bucket of 70 range balls are £12! 😂 I'd be expecting a trackman analysis and Pro V1s for that! 

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

The latest Bunkered magazine has a Trump advert stating prices are from £125pp. This sounds in line with Scottish rates based on their standard fee. 

The same advert also quotes a bucket of 70 range balls are £12! 😂 I'd be expecting a trackman analysis and Pro V1s for that! 

You can get 18 holes midweek at some courses for £12 :lol:

Samuel Camazzola
11 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You can get 18 holes midweek at some courses for £12 :lol:

True. 

Surely if someone is playing a course of this calibre, the range should already be part of the fee. Castle Course, Dumbarnie and Gleneagles all comp them. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I’d be chucking a load of those range balls in my bag at that price, even if they were stamped ‘practice’ 😂

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, Irufushi said:

I’d be chucking a load of those range balls in my bag at that price, even if they were stamped ‘practice’ 😂

A wee sharpie would cover that up! 😉 

Dumbarnie today chaps. Really looking forward to it and looks like we’ve got a great day for it too! Can anyone let me know if shorts will be acceptable attire for the fine people of Dumbarnie?

John mcCartney

Haha,depends which type of shorts your wearing chief.....of course youll be allright !!!

Get us a report back please.It will be rather tasty today over there....sun up,nice and calm conditions

Magnificent course .

Remember about the GPS stuff,only Garmin works on the course at the mo altho they give out
the chartbook with card.There are plenty sprinkler covers with yardages on the fairways.

Edited by John mcCartney

1 hour ago, John mcCartney said:

Haha,depends which type of shorts your wearing chief.....of course youll be allright !!!

Get us a report back please.It will be rather tasty today over there....sun up,nice and calm conditions

Magnificent course .

Remember about the GPS stuff,only Garmin works on the course at the mo altho they give out
the chartbook with card.There are plenty sprinkler covers with yardages on the fairways.

Great, thanks John. Looking forward to it!

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

Magnificent course .

Even if you have a Garmin, you'll need to have carried out a recent update on the software to capture it. I didn't have it first time around. 

Enjoy it all. Not a weak hole on the course and some cracking risk/reward holes. I've managed to catch the fairway on the 'skinny' shorter route into 5 both times. Takes about 2 clubs off your approach. 👍 

John mcCartney

Thats right about the update yeah.I found the chart good enough altho thanks to lack of my reading glasses I was struggling with deciphering the yardages altho done well out of it generally.
5th I bogeyed ,cracking drive to left side of fairway.I decided on 6 iron draw into a fierce left to right warm wind,pin back left,green up tight in the dunes on a well guarded plateau,
Hit it well enough and drew into banking at back left side of green pin high.fluffed chip (hate that,ball lying high up in the wispy rough),chipped again to 6".....5...Next time if its brisk westerly`s Il go for right hand side of green.Allways play safe really eh,save the grief.....

Edited by John mcCartney

How far are you all hitting a 4 iron?

Took it out my bag as couldn't hit the thing for months. Got pretty handy at a fairway finder 5i, my course is pretty brutal with woods and heavy rough off straight.

5i, 180 ish and 4i, is 190-200 ish. My favourite club in the bag since its return.

Changes I made were, forward in the stance on front foot, delofted and face slightly open to counteract my hook tendencies. And just swing slow and smooth.

Extremely please with a fairly accurate 200 yard clubs, comes in so handy for at least 7/8 holes around Glencorse.

God it's good when you suss out a club and can be fairly confident with it.

Anyway original question, how far do you all hit it I'm 39 and 19 handicap and hit 190-200 with zero effort in the swing. Just wondering what others get out there 4i

Also how much importance do you all put on the variables?

I use a slightly strong grip - just roughly turn the club closed and adjust it to straight at address.

My 4i, example above uses a front foot ball position. Once again just kind of roughly.

I have to open the club face slightly and once again just roughly gauge it.

So my grip, ball position and club face are all kind of rough guesses. Is this something low handicappers regulate strictly for consistency? Or do you just get used to it and use feel to measure these things

Played Dumbarnie yesterday and wow what a course. So many signature holes and a course that demands strategy. It was a little windy yesterday and I think I hit 5/6 drivers in total. The way burns are routed and bunkers positioned really makes you think about club selection. The 7th (I think) was a 500 yard plus par 5 into the wind and I had to go 2 punch 4 irons and a full 6 to get to the green in reg (never mind the 3 putt). Some really short par 3s but you had to be in the right position. It was absolutely fantastic. We played off the white tees at 6,000 yards and glad we didn’t play off the blue as in the wind I think we would have struggled. Thoroughly enjoyed.

hmfc_liam06
10 hours ago, Phage said:

How far are you all hitting a 4 iron?

Took it out my bag as couldn't hit the thing for months. Got pretty handy at a fairway finder 5i, my course is pretty brutal with woods and heavy rough off straight.

5i, 180 ish and 4i, is 190-200 ish. My favourite club in the bag since its return.

Changes I made were, forward in the stance on front foot, delofted and face slightly open to counteract my hook tendencies. And just swing slow and smooth.

Extremely please with a fairly accurate 200 yard clubs, comes in so handy for at least 7/8 holes around Glencorse.

God it's good when you suss out a club and can be fairly confident with it.

Anyway original question, how far do you all hit it I'm 39 and 19 handicap and hit 190-200 with zero effort in the swing. Just wondering what others get out there 4i

I've only recently introduced the 4 iron so yardage is a bit hit or miss but a good clean hit is probably around the 180/185 mark. 

There's one hole at my place that demands accuracy off the tee. Dog leg right, railway line and trees to the right which only big hitters with a draw can take on and a huge tree left and in the line of sight meaning you either take that tree on or thread it through.

Tee'd up 4 iron over the tree is my go to there.

11 hours ago, Phage said:

Also how much importance do you all put on the variables?

I use a slightly strong grip - just roughly turn the club closed and adjust it to straight at address.

My 4i, example above uses a front foot ball position. Once again just kind of roughly.

I have to open the club face slightly and once again just roughly gauge it.

So my grip, ball position and club face are all kind of rough guesses. Is this something low handicappers regulate strictly for consistency? Or do you just get used to it and use feel to measure these things

HI there Phage.

I play off a fairly low handicap, and the first thing that strikes me is too many variables at address. Club closed,then adjust to straight, then open, lots of opportunities to make a mistake and that is just at address.

Why not start with club square to the line and keep it that way?

Ball position for a four iron I suggest should be maybe 1/2 inch inside left heel.

Your distance for a four iron is excellent, so given your handicap distance is not the issue.

Try to get a regular pre- shot routine which you are comfortable with, and avoid all the messing about.

Hope this helps

Cheers

MM

Do others not play with a 2 and 3 iron anymore? I could never get used to the feel of hybrids.

Nothing more satisfying than 2 iron back in the stance a little into a strong wind. It's like Concorde taking off.

47 minutes ago, kila said:

Do others not play with a 2 and 3 iron anymore? I could never get used to the feel of hybrids.

Nothing more satisfying than 2 iron back in the stance a little into a strong wind. It's like Concorde taking off.

Much as there is nothing sweeter than a good strike with a 2 iron, the versatility of hybrids win the day for me.

Can hit them low or high, good out the rough, and can use round the green as well.

Samuel Camazzola
51 minutes ago, kila said:

Mizuno 2iron for me. Great club and goes a similar distance as my 3 wood - just more piercing trajectory. 

I now have a 4 iron of the newer range (mp h4) and find it very forgiving. 

Titleist MB's for me including the 2 and 3 iron. They're getting a bit worn but still enough life left to keep me going a few years yet. If I did have to get new clubs it'd be Titleist MB 620's.

Samuel Camazzola

Opted for a hit around The Torrance this morning. Greens have had a dressing but playing and looking very well. 

Course condition is great and recommended for anyone looking for a change of scenery. The Kittocks is closing for a week or two from Monday for some maintenance. 

Took advantage of a members 30% off offer running until the end of season. Picked up another Ping putter for the collection. 😳

9 hours ago, kila said:

Don't even have a 4 iron in the bag now.    

I'm a bit of a par machine these days but wouldn't know a birdie if I tripped over one.    Pretty much getting a dozen or more pars most rounds but usually spoiled by a double B,  or two.     Slogging away and building the basis of a score,  but making the occasional **** up and not setting up many birdie chances or holing anything much at all.

12 hours ago, Victorian said:

I'm a bit of a par machine these days but wouldn't know a birdie if I tripped over one.    Pretty much getting a dozen or more pars most rounds but usually spoiled by a double B,  or two.     Slogging away and building the basis of a score,  but making the occasional **** up and not setting up many birdie chances or holing anything much at all.

To me a dozen pars sound amazing. I got 3 pars in a row once and thought i was a golfing god 😂. Last week on the back 9 i went par, triple bogey, birdie(almost a hole in 1), triple bogey. Horrific round but the birdie felt good.

2nd 9 @ St Fillans on Wed ruined by 2 female pensioners who couldn't hit the ball more than 30 yards, 1 hour for 3 holes. Waiting on the tee at the 3rd, I counted 14 shots (including 4 fresh airs) and she still wasn't on the green (276 yard hole). Their standard of golf shouldn't be anywhere near a proper golf course, they just ***ked the whole course up. 

6 hours ago, OBE said:

2nd 9 @ St Fillans on Wed ruined by 2 female pensioners who couldn't hit the ball more than 30 yards, 1 hour for 3 holes. Waiting on the tee at the 3rd, I counted 14 shots (including 4 fresh airs) and she still wasn't on the green (276 yard hole). Their standard of golf shouldn't be anywhere near a proper golf course, they just ***ked the whole course up. 

My sister has a B&B up at St Fillans. Desperate to get the clubs up and go round the course. Whenever I visit there is usually to much to do in a day to actually disappear and play the golf.

Fancy Crieff aswell, lovely part of the world.

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, OBE said:

@Barack Does your old man still have the power to get these folk ejected? 😂 

10 hours ago, Phage said:

My sister has a B&B up at St Fillans. Desperate to get the clubs up and go round the course. Whenever I visit there is usually to much to do in a day to actually disappear and play the golf.

Fancy Crieff aswell, lovely part of the world.

Foreign holiday's were scuppered, spur of the moment 3 nights in the Achray House Hotel (lochside), cheap booze, great food and excellent staff.

Never stopped in St Fillans before, happy we chose this neck of the woods, scenery is beautiful, even with the low cloud, 90 minutes from my front door.

Will try and have a go on Crieff next time up. 

27 minutes ago, Barack said:

Can probably guess who it was...😐

Luckily though, even amongst the elders, they're usually on the ball and courteous about playing through, I've found.

Jail time is a new rule that should be introduced for slow play, imo. Think OBE just got unlucky! Hope it didn't spoil the whole thing and you'd go back again.

I'll put a word in with the boss, when I'm up next month. 😉👍🏻

I'll be back, but not on a Wednesday, maybe their casual medal day. Unlucky? probably yes, 1st 9 was completed in 1 hour 15. St Fillans was ideal (wide fairways & big greens) for a bash after an enthusiastic first night in the hotel, their Edinburgh Gold on draft is braw stuff.

Played 36 holes yesterday. 18 at liberton, first time playing there, great course will definitely be back. Greens were very difficult and fast, every approach shot i hit run off the back. Went round in 96 was just happy to get under 100. Then played 18 at Melville and went round in 77, 1 birdie and 8 pars which is by far the best I've ever played so really happy with that. 

hmfc_liam06
4 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Played 36 holes yesterday. 18 at liberton, first time playing there, great course will definitely be back. Greens were very difficult and fast, every approach shot i hit run off the back. Went round in 96 was just happy to get under 100. Then played 18 at Melville and went round in 77, 1 birdie and 8 pars which is by far the best I've ever played so really happy with that. 

Liberton's greens are some of the fastest I've ever played in Scotland. 

I remember playing their open a couple years ago and had 10 putts first 3 holes. Including completely putting through the first green :lol:

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Liberton's greens are some of the fastest I've ever played in Scotland. 

I remember playing their open a couple years ago and had 10 putts first 3 holes. Including completely putting through the first green :lol:

Got to the 17th, par 3 think its about 180 yards and was sick of everything running off the back so thought i need to do something here, I'll land it short and hopefully putt from just off the edge. Didn't hit it well and caught it with the bottom off the club. Came out low and like a bullet, landed 20 foot before the green still managed to roll all the way to the back of the green and down near the 18th tee box 😂. I'll hopefully be more prepared next time.

13 hours ago, OBE said:

Foreign holiday's were scuppered, spur of the moment 3 nights in the Achray House Hotel (lochside), cheap booze, great food and excellent staff.

Never stopped in St Fillans before, happy we chose this neck of the woods, scenery is beautiful, even with the low cloud, 90 minutes from my front door.

Will try and have a go on Crieff next time up. 

I'll be back, but not on a Wednesday, maybe their casual medal day. Unlucky? probably yes, 1st 9 was completed in 1 hour 15. St Fillans was ideal (wide fairways & big greens) for a bash after an enthusiastic first night in the hotel, their Edinburgh Gold on draft is braw stuff.

Glad you liked Achray that's my sisters (Laura) place 🙂

Food is amazing!

Thank you for your advice. Simplified my swing, setup squared, swing straight and smooth.

The problem was having not played for 15 years a neutral grip and squared up had a wild slice. Practise net is 30 seconds from my house so would hit 100/200 a day trying to get ball then deck. Couldn't manage and was still working the swing and timing out.

To combat a slice and hitting behind the ball a really strong grip worked wonders. And was flushing it straight enough with a series of adjustments. Which then turn into a flushed hook. So more adjustments...

Anyway took your advice and I think with practise and developing my swing can actually deliver the club where I want now. Everything square, easy and smooth and say 4/5 iron I'm pretty accurate upto 200 yards. 3&5 woods getting crushed straight also. So really enjoyed my last few rounds trusting I'll find the fairway and have an easy wedge in.

I got caught up into constant adjustments but think my swing after a year back has matured enough to just hit it straight enough for what i need. And can even work the ball left or right as required

49 minutes ago, Phage said:

Glad you liked Achray that's my sisters (Laura) place 🙂

Food is amazing!

Laura is very good at her job, apart from buggering off with the wine seller keys. We ordered a £34 bottle of wine, the waitress couldn't get to it because Laura had the keys for the better wines with her. We opted for the house red French Malbec instead £13 (Lovely).

When Laura returned to the hotel with the keys for the wine seller, she plonked a bottle of the £34 stuff on our table for free, we reluctantly accepted...:biggrin2:. After tasting the 2 wines, we decided we preferred the Malbec and had a few more bottles during our stay. Laura is an excellent host and her staff are a credit to her...we'll certainly be back. 

Apologies for veering of topic...

Samuel Camazzola
22 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Over the last 15-20 years, they've modified Liberton to try and add some length to a couple of holes despite the land within the boundaries being fully utilised. New competition tees were added to 3, 13 and 14.The 14th was placed beside the 11th giving about an extra 70+ yards. Although the course is short, the fairways can be tight and the greens are small. A lot of holes are within a drivable range - on a couple of occasions, I was within a matter of metres of driving the 1st! 

The quality of the greens improved greatly in recent years following a new head green keeper coming in. 

Cracking little course and a test of the short game. 

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Just booked the Dumbarnie/Carnoustie Fife residents offer.

:clumshot:

Good stuff. £195?

Is there a flexibility on when you can play each one or do you have to play both within a defined window? 

hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Good stuff. £195?

Is there a flexibility on when you can play each one or do you have to play both within a defined window? 

Aye £195. Incredible deal.

You can play them any time as long as both are played by 15th of November (I think).

Samuel Camazzola
7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Aye £195. Incredible deal.

You can play them any time as long as both are played by 15th of November (I think).

That's good. I can't comment on Carnoustie but it's a good time to pick a time and date for Dumbarnie due to the visibility of their booking sheet etc. 

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

That's good. I can't comment on Carnoustie but it's a good time to pick a time and date for Dumbarnie due to the visibility of their booking sheet etc. 

We're out at 4 this Friday, to be a cracker of a day weather wise. Should get some amazing sunset photos over the course.

Samuel Camazzola
14 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We're out at 4 this Friday, to be a cracker of a day weather wise. Should get some amazing sunset photos over the course.

Perfect. Get there early to use the range etc. They have a bbq too opposite the check-in so you're sorted for your day. 👍 

Samuel Camazzola

@hmfc_liam06 on the How Did I Do app, an advert for Trump is displayed with details of a four ball offer.

£525 Wed to Fri. £550 Sat & Sun. 

Code is HDID4BL and valid until October. 

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

@hmfc_liam06 on the How Did I Do app, an advert for Trump is displayed with details of a four ball offer.

£525 Wed to Fri. £550 Sat & Sun. 

Code is HDID4BL and valid until October. 

Cheers for the heads up, still think that works out dearer than the Scottish rate though?

Samuel Camazzola
11 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Cheers for the heads up, still think that works out dearer than the Scottish rate though?

Possibly. I've not seen anything recently about their Scottish residents rate apart from Bunkered ad. 

Kingsbarns have supposedly reintroduced a local rate since they reopened this week.