Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, kila said:

I finally got round to ordering some Lamkin golf grips. Order had a note saying 'tape to follow'. Another parcel arrived today, another 13 grips. With another note saying 'tape to follow'. I now have 26 grips and no tape :laugh:

Will get in touch with the seller again to try work out how to send these back. I'm concerned I'll get another 13 grips next week with the tape still to come...

:trippin:

Or sell them to a fellow poster on here who's looking for new grips :cool_shades:

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, kila said:

I finally got round to ordering some Lamkin golf grips. Order had a note saying 'tape to follow'. Another parcel arrived today, another 13 grips. With another note saying 'tape to follow'. I now have 26 grips and no tape :laugh:

Will get in touch with the seller again to try work out how to send these back. I'm concerned I'll get another 13 grips next week with the tape still to come...

:trippin:

Just keep them.

A role of tape is £2-3 .

You will have enough grips for the next couple of years or could flog them for a nice wee profit.

:munny:

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Tell them to get a grip, 

They've got plenty grips.

Tell them to get a tape🤭

5 hours ago, neal-jambos said:

I know how you feel. I changed my grip and it feels like I need to try to hook it for the ball to go straight. Yesterday it just wasn't happening and everything was starting right and going further right, so i'm hoping to get to the range tonight if this rain stops.

I was on the 13th tee, and put my drive over the 12th fairway, up a hill covered in heavy rough, over the 11th green, over more rough nearly onto the 17th fairway. Copied you saying it was unplayable then found it going up the 17th. The hole slightly goes to the left, so I probably would've had a 300 yard approach shot on a 360 yard hole over a green and tee box :lol: My usual drive carries about 260 yards, so when i properly slice it I can't even be bothered looking for it.

I'm lucky my chipping was great or I probably would've been close to 100.

Seeing that we’re talking about slices I just had a lesson with the number one aim to fix my slice. Lesson was on a launch monitor so I could see exactly what was going on with the club face. I felt I was coming over the top with an open face and I’ve been working on that for a while. Turned out my swing path was in to out all along but my angle of attack was too steep and I was holding off on the follow through. Up to the range tonight to work on rolling the wrists. What an eye opener these launch monitors are.

neal-jambos
28 minutes ago, dicksojo said:

Seeing that we’re talking about slices I just had a lesson with the number one aim to fix my slice. Lesson was on a launch monitor so I could see exactly what was going on with the club face. I felt I was coming over the top with an open face and I’ve been working on that for a while. Turned out my swing path was in to out all along but my angle of attack was too steep and I was holding off on the follow through. Up to the range tonight to work on rolling the wrists. What an eye opener these launch monitors are.

Where was the lesson about if it was Edinburgh region and you don't mind me asking? I've had a few at Melville and they were alright, but was thinking about also going to the braids as they have a trackman, etc so I can see my own swing a bit better. I thought I was coming in too steep, but a few pro's have said that it isn't too bad. I was a junior at Dunbar and had a lot of lessons when I was younger so my swing is generally alright, but missing some of the fundamentals after trying to get back into it lately.

I think i've crept back to my old tendency of having my right hand too far underneath on my grip in the last few weeks because it feels more natural. I'll try a stronger grip tonight and see what works. Hopefully if I hit enough balls that starts becoming natural. When I do have a stronger or even neutral grip i start getting lazy with rolling my wrists, then get pissed off I still slice it.

Edited by neal-jambos

1 hour ago, neal-jambos said:

Where was the lesson about if it was Edinburgh region and you don't mind me asking? I've had a few at Melville and they were alright, but was thinking about also going to the braids as they have a trackman, etc so I can see my own swing a bit better. I thought I was coming in too steep, but a few pro's have said that it isn't too bad. I was a junior at Dunbar and had a lot of lessons when I was younger so my swing is generally alright, but missing some of the fundamentals after trying to get back into it lately.

I think i've crept back to my old tendency of having my right hand too far underneath on my grip in the last few weeks because it feels more natural. I'll try a stronger grip tonight and see what works. Hopefully if I hit enough balls that starts becoming natural. When I do have a stronger or even neutral grip i start getting lazy with rolling my wrists, then get pissed off I still slice it.

If its any help, I had some lessons from Colin Brooks at Braid Hills. 

He was very good, and explained things very clearly.

You also get a trackman report which is a bit of an eye opener, and helps to put the instruction into perspective.

👍

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

I played drumoig today. Very wet, but a great golf course. Really enjoyed it. 

Great track. How many balls did you lose on 9/10/11? :lol:

2 hours ago, neal-jambos said:

I had my lesson at Duddingston and was really happy with it. I need to see the data so the gc quad thing really helped. 

Just back from the range and really working on rolling the wrists. The difference was unbelievable. A few hooks in there but just need to start dialling it in a bit.

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Great track. How many balls did you lose on 9/10/11? :lol:

one on 9 .
One on 10 

two on 11. 

neal-jambos
2 hours ago, dicksojo said:

I had my lesson at Duddingston and was really happy with it. I need to see the data so the gc quad thing really helped. 

Just back from the range and really working on rolling the wrists. The difference was unbelievable. A few hooks in there but just need to start dialling it in a bit.

Cheers. I’m just back from the range as well. Stronger grip helped but even the straight ones had a slight fade. Need to work on rolling my wrists as well and can hopefully eventually turn it into a draw without snap hooking it. 
With my irons I’ve been hitting it a lot better thinking about the face going towards the target on my backswing then the opposite way on the follow through, but that comes down to rolling my wrists as well 

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Furious Styles said:

one on 9 .
One on 10 

two on 11. 

Good stuff :lol:

Played there four times, never finished the 9th!

William H. Bonney
1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Good stuff :lol:

Played there four times, never finished the 9th!

It’s a cracking course. Granted the weather was pretty grim but I was surprised to see it so quiet. I loved it. Some superb holes, especially 9,10 and 11. 
Cant believe 10 is the easiest hole on the course. I made a right ***** of it. 

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Furious Styles said:

It’s a cracking course. Granted the weather was pretty grim but I was surprised to see it so quiet. I loved it. Some superb holes, especially 9,10 and 11. 
Cant believe 10 is the easiest hole on the course. I made a right ***** of it. 

It's short but tricky, driver is definitely too much, I've also landed in the water to the right of the hole after running out of fairway with a 3 wood. 

9 is such a tough hole. Wind is usually off the left, water on the right is a magnet.

I really like the par 4 13th where you play into the quarry.

It's such a pity about the 18th, bit of a joke hole now.

William H. Bonney

It's short but tricky, driver is definitely too much, I've also landed in the water to the right of the hole after running out of fairway with a 3 wood. 

9 is such a tough hole. Wind is usually off the left, water on the right is a magnet.

I really like the par 4 13th where you play into the quarry.

It's such a pity about the 18th, bit of a joke hole now.

Yeah, 18 was an odd hole. We had no real idea as to where we were hitting but I managed to land it in position A leaving a small chip to the green. 
My playing partner was half way up the hill on the left hand side.

I only paid £24 on golf now and it seemed like real value for money. Perhaps I’m easily impressed but it felt to me like I was playing a real class course. I’ll definitely go back.  

hmfc_liam06
30 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

Yeah, 18 was an odd hole. We had no real idea as to where we were hitting but I managed to land it in position A leaving a small chip to the green. 

I only paid £24 on golf now and it seemed like real value for money. Perhaps I’m easily impressed but it felt to me like I was playing a real class course. I’ll definitely go back.  

The 18th tee used to be further back and closer to the houses. Residents complained so they moved the tee. 

We tend to visit it in the winter as it's always dry and they never use winter greens. 

hmfc_liam06
30 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

The 18th tee used to be further back and closer to the houses. Residents complained so they moved the tee. 

We tend to visit it in the winter as it's always dry and they never use winter greens. 

:laugh:

It's just old habits back in action, third round this week and I'm struggling to recreate anything close to the consistency last Fri.

I do envy clubs that have a driving range. A proper warm up to find that feeling in the swing where it is all in place before the first tee would help a lot.

2 hours ago, kila said:

:laugh:

It's just old habits back in action, third round this week and I'm struggling to recreate anything close to the consistency last Fri.

I do envy clubs that have a driving range. A proper warm up to find that feeling in the swing where it is all in place before the first tee would help a lot.

Once I went to the American golf driving range at the braids before I played a medal, got 30 balls and drove and hit my irons really well , had a nightmare on on the course 🤷‍♂️ It’s a crazy game .

joondalupjambo

Trouble here in paradise.

Lundin GC Captain and Match Committee members resign, Secretary off long term and not sure how Vice can step up because of the constitution requirement for a meeting and a vote. 

Ah well you reap what you sow I guess.

The Mighty Thor
On 22/07/2020 at 16:36, neal-jambos said:

If you play at Winterfield speak to Philip down there. He's really good at working on the fundamentals but working with your natural swing. 

neal-jambos
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

If you play at Winterfield speak to Philip down there. He's really good at working on the fundamentals but working with your natural swing. 

Will do. I’ve heard people say he is good for lessons, but because there isn’t a range or decent practice area there I always forget to ask him about it. 

John mcCartney
6 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Trouble here in paradise.

Lundin GC Captain and Match Committee members resign, Secretary off long term and not sure how Vice can step up because of the constitution requirement for a meeting and a vote. 

Ah well you reap what you sow I guess.

whats goin on there then chief,thats serious shit for a captain to resign aint it ?

Playing Dumbarnie tomorrow,cannot fecking wait.

joondalupjambo
2 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

whats goin on there then chief,thats serious shit for a captain to resign aint it ?

I cannot remember it happening in too many clubs.  The thing is Captain usually does 2 years then under our constitution we have a AGM at the end of that period the Vice is voted in as the new Captain unchallenged.  This year of course we went into lock down so no meeting and Captain stayed on.  Big mistake as these postions are, I think Presendential and then way too many decisions were required over the last 4 months which became tough calls.  If our constitution had in it emergency clauses we could have options on how to go forward but it is too rigid in it's content.

Also think because of the structure we have with no real decision processes and/or clear leaders, every big decision needs full committee involvement rather than a data gathering exercise and a decision by an MD or Captain. Then we have all the Committee heads without much autonomy.  Under the constitution they do not have the final say and so every decision, and there have been too many needing made recently that were just getting past to a nice old man who just wants to wear his club tie with pride and should not be in this type of situation.

The club has never had to make too many really tough decisions before becuase we have always had, and still do a waiting list as long as your arm. We still have big joining fees attached to new membership so cash never been an issue.  Not something many clubs can boast.

For years many members have felt that the ancient constitutional rules would be our downfall and not the ability to get new members.  It appears that not addressing that and also looking at goverance methods in the new millennium has bitten the bums of the current Committee after all.   Easy to say I told you so but in this case many, many members will be saying I told you so.

Edited by joondalupjambo

hmfc_liam06

Going on an all day bender the day before round two of the Club Championships was not a wise idea! Glad I wasn't playing til 1.30 because I was absolutely hanging, spewing the lot.

Managed an 83 to go with my 78 and qualify in 9th. First round of the knockout Tuesday, up against a 6 times winner :lol:

25 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Going on an all day bender the day before round two of the Club Championships was not a wise idea! Glad I wasn't playing til 1.30 because I was absolutely hanging, spewing the lot.

Managed an 83 to go with my 78 and qualify in 9th. First round of the knockout Tuesday, up against a 6 times winner :lol:

78 sober, 83 suffering...:olly:...:biggrin2:

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, OBE said:

78 sober, 83 suffering...:olly:...:biggrin2:

Putting was terrible, the greens were spinning every time I put my head down. Never again :lol:

Putting was terrible, the greens were spinning every time I put my head down. Never again :lol:

Never again...:Aye:  A friend of mine can play with a drink in him, hits it a country, seems to relax him. The games hard enough. Good luck on Tuesday. 

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, OBE said:

Never again...:Aye:  A friend of mine can play with a drink in him, hits it a country, seems to relax him. The games hard enough. Good luck on Tuesday. 

Cheers mate, I'll need it!

Harry Potter

Watching Golf academy on Sky golf, Laura Davies digs up some earth with a wedge to tee up

her ball for driving 😵greenkeepers must cringe seeing her coming.

She says it feels like playing off the ground rather than on top of a tee.

Samuel Camazzola
9 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Watching Golf academy on Sky golf, Laura Davies digs up some earth with a wedge to tee up

Sergio and Stenson do the same with their fairway woods . At the 2016 Open at Troon, I followed Stenson for a bit where he used the 3 wood often. He just gave the ground a dunt and hit the thing with venom. 

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Sergio and Stenson do the same with their fairway woods . At the 2016 Open at Troon, I followed Stenson for a bit where he used the 3 wood often. He just gave the ground a dunt and hit the thing with venom. 

Lol, 

5 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

I do that with a 3 wood or rescue club, when on the tee.Hate the look of it teed up.

. Ok with irons on a tee strangely:huh:

Samuel Camazzola
On 25/07/2020 at 13:51, John mcCartney said:

How did you enjoy your visit to Dumbarnie? 

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, merrymac said:

I do that with a 3 wood or rescue club, when on the tee.Hate the look of it teed up.

. Ok with irons on a tee strangely:huh:

👍.

6 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

👍.

Played in a Hickory competition a few years ago, and you got a wee pile of sand to tee up your shots with.

Different to say the least😂

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, merrymac said:

Played in a Hickory competition a few years ago, and you got a wee pile of sand to tee up your shots with.

Different to say the least😂

Least the tees are not being hacked up , sand sounds like a good idea.

Just now, Harry Potter said:

Least the tees are not being hacked up , sand sounds like a good idea.

Repair as you play :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

Deffo bud , i will stick to my castle tee , 68 mm long.

P1010005.JPG

That's a big one Harry

default_ooh_matron2.png

I tee my driver. Everything else of the deck, practise off the deck and dont have the choice 2nd shot onwards so just get used to hitting off the deck.

Will occasionally tee up an iron but the tee is so low it might as well be off the deck.

Saying that I'm rubbish... 😭

John mcCartney
2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

How did you enjoy your visit to Dumbarnie? 

Aha,yes well very hard work in up to 20mph westerly crosswind  !!
The course is set out as such that the above can be a very common occurence since that the usual high velocity stuff
is from sw/w/nw.
Its hard work in em conditions as the course is demanding,rough can be brutal straight off the fairway.Had to chart the course without me glasses as Skycaddie aint working on there at the moment as well.
It played longish off the blues,occasional white(par 5s).Greens were good to putt on at end of day when I played so they`d be quick in the morning.I got the pace straight away fortunately.You have to drive well in those conditions.
Its a magnificent course there is no doubt and must be played.Great approaches to greens if you`ve driven well and the par 3`s are all quality.
Largo bay is a magnificent backdrop when the sun is shining high and they seem to have knitted the course into the environment not too bad although theres massive tracts of land in between some of the holes on the back 9.
Made double,triple at 7 and 15 as I couldnt see what was ahead of me off the tee.Apart from that nice and solid
and chuffed with the shift.Il be back at some point for sure.

Will you be visiting again ?

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

Aha,yes well very hard work in up to 20mph westerly crosswind  !!
The course is set out as such that the above can be a very common occurence since that the usual high velocity stuff
is from sw/w/nw.
Its hard work in em conditions as the course is demanding,rough can be brutal straight off the fairway.Had to chart the course without me glasses as Skycaddie aint working on there at the moment as well.
It played longish off the blues,occasional white(par 5s).Greens were good to putt on at end of day when I played so they`d be quick in the morning.I got the pace straight away fortunately.You have to drive well in those conditions.
Its a magnificent course there is no doubt and must be played.Great approaches to greens if you`ve driven well and the par 3`s are all quality.
Largo bay is a magnificent backdrop when the sun is shining high and they seem to have knitted the course into the environment not too bad although theres massive tracts of land in between some of the holes on the back 9.
Made double,triple at 7 and 15 as I couldnt see what was ahead of me off the tee.Apart from that nice and solid
and chuffed with the shift.Il be back at some point for sure.

Will you be visiting again ?

I'll definitely be back again. Looking into my third visit already! 😄

The fairways are pretty generous but agree that the rough can be punishing. 

The risk/reward holes are well thought out. 5th, 11th, 15th and 17th. I've only played 17 conventionally with a 5 iron off the tee but will go for the green on my next visit. The 8th is like a little Postage Stamp style hole which has stung me for bogeys both times. 

I'd heard that part of the open bit of land up the right of 15 may get developed into a water hazard. Pretty unheard of for a links course though. 

Good to hear you enjoyed it. It'll get better on your next round too. 👍  

John mcCartney
7 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'll definitely be back again. Looking into my third visit already! 😄

The fairways are pretty generous but agree that the rough can be punishing. 

The risk/reward holes are well thought out. 5th, 11th, 15th and 17th. I've only played 17 conventionally with a 5 iron off the tee but will go for the green on my next visit. The 8th is like a little Postage Stamp style hole which has stung me for bogeys both times. 

I'd heard that part of the open bit of land up the right of 15 may get developed into a water hazard. Pretty unheard of for a links course though. 

Good to hear you enjoyed it. It'll get better on your next round too. 👍  

17 looks almost magical for some reason,the green perched way high up with a fairway curling up towards it
I went for it and ball bounded up the rolled back down the slope to 20 yards off the front edge.Big high cut driver job.

yes, will defo be back.