Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Samuel Camazzola
24 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

This is such a woman question but should i buy a new bag to match? 😂

Over the last few weeks I've upgraded my entire set. New Cobra F9 driver and fairway wood, cobra king F8 irons (5-GW) and not new but new to me Clevland classic putter. My current bag is a Ben Sayers M9, it's actually a decent bag with plenty pockets but I seen a Cobra one I liked. Do you think its a bit OTT getting a Cobra bag too? 

Is your current one fully waterproof? If not and you're content on parting with your hard earned, I'd highly recommend going down this route. Titleist StaDry, Big Max, Wilson and Sun Mountain do very good bags with sealed zips. Best thing I did as I was constantly having to empty out bags in our climes to dry off. 

I have a Nike, a couple of TaylorMade and a Titleist StaDry but never gone for a bag brand to match the clubs. Always went for ones I've liked the most. 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Gorgie
2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

😂😂 You go for it then.

I have done the matching clubs, bag in the past, if its a good bag then not a problem.

I rarely go for same woods, irons etc so never usually a problem for me

More a mix n match kinda guy😂

If  it makes you feel good, then likely you will play good.:thumbsup:

That's the kind of positivity i need. My mate just called me a bell end when i suggested it 😂

The Gorgie
Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

Is your current one fully waterproof? If not and you're content on parting with your hard earned, I'd highly recommend going down this route. Titleist StaDry, Big Max, Wilson and Sun Mountain do very good bags with sealed zips. Best thing I did as I was constantly having to empty out bags in our climes to dry off. 

I have a Nike, a couple of TaylorMade and a Titleist StaDry but never gone for a bag brand to match the clubs. Always went for ones I've liked the most. 

It's not fully waterproof, i got it for free off my neighbor so don't really know much about it to be honest. It was just a bag for starting off with.

Samuel Camazzola
4 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

It's not fully waterproof, i got it for free off my neighbor so don't really know much about it to be honest. It was just a bag for starting off with.

👍 If you are considering to play a lot, I'd highly recommend the fully waterproof options. You'll find them in cart or carry bags and if you are keen to go brand specific, Cobra (or Puma who are part of the same group) will do a waterproof range. 

Shop about to fit your budget and remember a lot of discount codes can be found for online stores. Scottsdale Golf have a lot of promo codes on all the time. 

1 hour ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

This is such a woman question but should i buy a new bag to match? 😂

Over the last few weeks I've upgraded my entire set. New Cobra F9 driver and fairway wood, cobra king F8 irons (5-GW) and not new but new to me Clevland classic putter. My current bag is a Ben Sayers M9, it's actually a decent bag with plenty pockets but I seen a Cobra one I liked. Do you think its a bit OTT getting a Cobra bag too? 

Yes match it up 😍 I got a srixon camouflage bag to match my driver/3wood and driving irons. 

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

Your woods and driving irons are camouflage? Interesting... 

😁

Ah **** off 😂

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, Irufushi said:

Ah **** off 😂

I assume Srixon are keen to push the brand on their clubs and bags over here. It seems to be predominantly Cleveland in the US. 

4 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I assume Srixon are keen to push the brand on their clubs and bags over here. It seems to be predominantly Cleveland in the US. 

I can’t fault their gear , I’ve had my driving irons a few years and decided to try the woods and they’ve been brilliant. Really underrated brand, imo. 

hmfc_liam06

Yes go for matching bag!

I'm considering buying a Sim driver because its blue black and silver and it'll match my blue black and silver StaDry bag :lol:

17 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Your woods and driving irons are camouflage? Interesting... 

😁

So no one can see him in the woods😂

Samuel Camazzola
27 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

I can’t fault their gear , I’ve had my driving irons a few years and decided to try the woods and they’ve been brilliant. Really underrated brand, imo. 

In current times, all of the major brands produce high quality stuff. Investment has been made on technology and research so it comes down to what suits the consumers needs, budget or eye. I doubt there will be many average Joes plodding the fairways with a set of PXG's who'd claim they were right for their fitting and could justify the price. 😄

Wilson are another who are underrated over here but massive in the US. 

40 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

In current times, all of the major brands produce high quality stuff. Investment has been made on technology and research so it comes down to what suits the consumers needs, budget or eye. I doubt there will be many average Joes plodding the fairways with a set of PXG's who'd claim they were right for their fitting and could justify the price. 😄

Think Gary Woodland uses Wilson

42 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Been hearing good things about Tour Edge.

Any experience of their clubs?

Was thinking about trying their hybrids.

Samuel Camazzola
45 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Think Gary Woodland uses Wilson

There are a few. Harrington, Streelman, Paul Lawrie, Herbert. 

42 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Been hearing good things about Tour Edge.

Any experience of their clubs?

Was thinking about trying their hybrids.

I haven't. Who's stocking them?

I've played Mizuno for many years now and flit between their wedges and Cleveland ones. Liking the look of the new Mizuno woods (ST200) and may give them a try one day. 

52 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

There are a few. Harrington, Streelman, Paul Lawrie, Herbert. 

I haven't. Who's stocking them?

I've played Mizuno for many years now and flit between their wedges and Cleveland ones. Liking the look of the new Mizuno woods (ST200) and may give them a try one day. 

Only one stockist in Scotland in East Lothian - club fitting guy.

You can buy direct from Tour Edge in UK apparently.

Just saw a number of You tube reviews which were all pretty positive.

Their prices are a bit lower than the big 4-5 as they don't advertise .

I replaced my Mizuno driver, with a Ping G410 about 9 months ago. Did try the Mizuno at the start of this year, but wasn't getting anything more out of it. Lovely looking club though

neal-jambos

Booked a fitting at american golf on Monday. Looking forward to it. I’m mainly interested in a new driver to replace a ping g2 I got second hand about 12 years ago. I’m sure technology has moved on since then, maybe just not enough to help my slice. 
I was also planning on looking at new putters, or even seeing what clubs 4 cash had second hand but as if by magic my putting was amazing on Tuesday so I might change my mind. Playing tomorrow and Saturday so hopefully my swing is a bit more consistent before the fitting, and I can make my mind up if I want a new putter 😂

9 hours ago, neal-jambos said:

Booked a fitting at american golf on Monday. Looking forward to it. I’m mainly interested in a new driver to replace a ping g2 I got second hand about 12 years ago. I’m sure technology has moved on since then, maybe just not enough to help my slice. 
I was also planning on looking at new putters, or even seeing what clubs 4 cash had second hand but as if by magic my putting was amazing on Tuesday so I might change my mind. Playing tomorrow and Saturday so hopefully my swing is a bit more consistent before the fitting, and I can make my mind up if I want a new putter 😂

Hi Neal.

Just a heads up.

Had a fitting at AMG a few months ago. 

I have done a number of fittings over the years and this was by far the worst. No real interest in what I was after, and got the impression he just wanted to sell me something as quick as possible. Also not all their guys are PGA pros, I think they only have one per shop?

Try Scott Gourlay at Swanston, he does  charge a fee, but refund if you buy a club. Actually spends some time and takes an interest in trying to improve your game. 

Best of luck anyway.

Mac.

neal-jambos
1 minute ago, merrymac said:

Hi Neal.

Just a heads up.

Had a fitting at AMG a few months ago. 

I have done a number of fittings over the years and this was by far the worst. No real interest in what I was after, and got the impression he just wanted to sell me something as quick as possible. Also not all their guys are PGA pros, I think they only have one per shop?

Try Scott Gourlay at Swanston, he does  charge a fee, but refund if you buy a club. Actually spends some time and takes an interest in trying to improve your game. 

Best of luck anyway.

Mac.

Cheers for the heads up. Since it's free i'll go along and see what it is like, but if I get that impression i'll just go elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, neal-jambos said:

Cheers for the heads up. Since it's free i'll go along and see what it is like, but if I get that impression i'll just go elsewhere. 

👍 Good plan

hmfc_liam06

All American Golf "fittings" are worth is for getting a feel for the club.

Whenever I've gone in for one it's basically been - hit a few balls on the simulator with clubs off the shelf and they try punt you the one you hit the longest. Absolutely zero interest in looking at how you swing and what shafts etc would suit best.

neal-jambos
18 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

All American Golf "fittings" are worth is for getting a feel for the club.

Whenever I've gone in for one it's basically been - hit a few balls on the simulator with clubs off the shelf and they try punt you the one you hit the longest. Absolutely zero interest in looking at how you swing and what shafts etc would suit best.

cheers. my driver just now is over 15 year old so i'm interested in getting a feel for some of the new ones. Looking to try the Cobra F9 Speedback, Taylormade M4, or even the new ping driver. Agree with what you are saying around they won't be a proper fitting in terms of trying lots of different shafts, etc. 

I was reading into it a bit and the guidance seems to be a good fitting will take 2-2.5 hours depending on how many clubs you are looking at, or if it is a full set of irons, whereas my fitting in American Golf is only scheduled for an hour.

joondalupjambo

Played Dumbarnie today and it was fantastic, way better than I thought.  The first hole layout, the views the setting in front of the club house, everything about it was just awesome.  A wee par there to start with but will not bore you with the detail suffice to say I broke 90 with two eights, off the blue tees so delighted as I think anything under that for an average golfer is good given the course difficulty.

Very easy to rack up the strokes unless you are accurate off the tee and thank goodness there was not a wind because it will be a hard course when it blows.

If you are still considering if it is worth paying the money then it definitely is IMO. Better than Kingsbarns for me and that takes some beating.  Play it if you can.

Samuel Camazzola
12 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Played Dumbarnie today and it was fantastic, way better than I thought.  The first hole layout, the views the setting in front of the club house, everything about it was just awesome.  A wee par there to start with but will not bore you with the detail suffice to say I broke 90 with two eights, off the blue tees so delighted as I think anything under that for an average golfer is good given the course difficulty.

Very easy to rack up the strokes unless you are accurate off the tee and thank goodness there was not a wind because it will be a hard course when it blows.

If you are still considering if it is worth paying the money then it definitely is IMO. Better than Kingsbarns for me and that takes some beating.  Play it if you can.

I'm due to go back for a second round in a couple of weeks. The course is superb. 

Love the little 8th.Can only be approx 130 yards from the blue tees but you need to be so accurate. The split fairway on 5 and risk/reward driveable par 4s are great additions. 

I think the resident rates are due to remain for next year but these may go or increase in 2022 as per the starter. 

Tommy Brown
On 30/06/2020 at 20:38, Tommy Brown said:

Good response from Shotscope.

Out of stock, but will be available next week.

On showing how to set up the watch, the booklet shows Pumpherston GC. My home club.

Preston field too. So obviously local lads.

Sadly Shot Scope only sell complete tags at £30, watch will be returned to Amazon.

I will try it out until end of July before returning

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Sadly Shot Scope only sell complete tags at £30, watch will be returned to Amazon.

I will try it out until end of July before returning

There's been a few guys selling them on the Fife Golf Trader page on Facebook, I'll give you a shout if I see any more 👍

joondalupjambo
3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm due to go back for a second round in a couple of weeks. The course is superb. 

Love the little 8th.Can only be approx 130 yards from the blue tees but you need to be so accurate. The split fairway on 5 and risk/reward driveable par 4s are great additions. 

I think the resident rates are due to remain for next year but these may go or increase in 2022 as per the starter. 

Yeah that was a cracking wee hole, lipped out for a two as well.  I was so annoyed with my two 8's but they were both on risk / reward holes and so next time I will know not to take the risks😃

We are not so sure on the rates.  They have lost a lot of income this year but if the Yanks fly in next year they could fill the course so why let locals on for 94 when they could fill tee slots with 4 x 235's?  They may go to local four balls at a reduced rate.  A member at our club is on their Board and he is saying they will decide once they see how much is in the bank and once confirmation on USA is made.  Could be they will make the announcement close to opening again next year.

Samuel Camazzola
10 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yeah that was a cracking wee hole, lipped out for a two as well.  I was so annoyed with my two 8's but they were both on risk / reward holes and so next time I will know not to take the risks😃

We are not so sure on the rates.  They have lost a lot of income this year but if the Yanks fly in next year they could fill the course so why let locals on for 94 when they could fill tee slots with 4 x 235's?  They may go to local four balls at a reduced rate.  A member at our club is on their Board and he is saying they will decide once they see how much is in the bank and once confirmation on USA is made.  Could be they will make the announcement close to opening again next year.

All true.

With St Andrews Open due in 2022, I wonder if it would be too soon to consider it for a local Open qualifier course. Fairmont, Ladybank and Lundin have all been used in recent years but Dumbarnie would already be considered in the higher bracket than these. Can't be long before a Scottish Open goes there too. 

Kingsbarns have yet to decide if they have an opening date for this year too. The Dunhill is still planned for there so will be interesting to see how that plays with no traffic on the greens until then. Dumbarnie will take a bulk of their usual custom. 

hmfc_liam06
38 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

All true.

With St Andrews Open due in 2022, I wonder if it would be too soon to consider it for a local Open qualifier course. Fairmont, Ladybank and Lundin have all been used in recent years but Dumbarnie would already be considered in the higher bracket than these. Can't be long before a Scottish Open goes there too. 

Kingsbarns have yet to decide if they have an opening date for this year too. The Dunhill is still planned for there so will be interesting to see how that plays with no traffic on the greens until then. Dumbarnie will take a bulk of their usual custom. 

Re Dumbarnie hosting events. The huge issue is the local infrastructure....there is none! It's not on any sort of public transport route, no train station etc. I mean it's doable but will certainly have its difficulties.

Samuel Camazzola
27 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Re Dumbarnie hosting events. The huge issue is the local infrastructure....there is none! It's not on any sort of public transport route, no train station etc. I mean it's doable but will certainly have its difficulties.

True. However, when the Scottish Open was at Gullane, trains ran to Drem where shuttle buses operated. They could do something similar with Markinch/Kirkcaldy unless the Levenmouth line opens in the coming years. 

There are no surrounding shops so hospitality would be contained within unless there are any rogue traders looking to make a pound from the winding approach road. 

They could even operate the hovercrafts from Edinburgh they trialled many years ago. 😄 

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

There's been a few guys selling them on the Fife Golf Trader page on Facebook, I'll give you a shout if I see any more 👍

thanks Liam

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

All true.

Interesting that Kingsbarns did not open and offer the rest of the season to locals and/or UK residents at least.  Perhaps because they have got so much in the bank they do not need to bother.  A full time caddy there, who just happens to live a few doors up from me has been told no work this season but I wonder if they could open for the cohert I am suggesting?  That way they would get income, the course would get used and be ready for the Dunhill if required because I cannot see how you can close a course for a season and then go straight to elite level competition.

joondalupjambo

Yep for me that is one of it's very few weaknesses in terms of playing major competition.  One tractor on the road there means a tailback for miles the roads are so narrow and bendy.  A convey of buses to get folk there would be a nightmare because rail stations are so far away and then getting mass crowds away home after each day's play would take hours.  It will be interesting to see what strategy they have for all this because it must have been thought through and discussed with the various stakeholders.  I will try an find out from our man on the inside :mellow:

Oh and when I played it we were speaking to the Pro who was there and I said that the whole layout and views from the 1st hole were amazing and there was only one other place that I could tink of that matched it.  Where he asked, the first at Lochgelly I said and he said oh never played it :lol:

Edited by joondalupjambo

hmfc_liam06
58 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yep for me that is one of it's very few weaknesses in terms of playing major competition.  One tractor on the road there means a tailback for miles the roads are so narrow and bendy.  A convey of buses to get folk there would be a nightmare because rail stations are so far away and then getting mass crowds away home after each day's play would take hours.  It will be interesting to see what strategy they have for all this because it must have been thought through and discussed with the various stakeholders.  I will try an find out from our man on the inside :mellow:

Oh and when I played it we were speaking to the Pro who was there and I said that the whole layout and views from the 1st hole were amazing and there was only one other place that I could tink of that matched it.  Where he asked, the first at Lochgelly I said and he said oh never played it :lol:

:lol: there's a comparison I never thought I'd hear!

Re Kingsbarns, they are driven purely by greed. This could have been a great chance to give something back to Scottish golfers but the reality is, unless you're paying top dollar they aren't interested. They even removed the Scottish residents rate a year or so ago. Even something like £100 per round, they'd still be making plenty money.

joondalupjambo

:lol: there's a comparison I never thought I'd hear!

Re Kingsbarns, they are driven purely by greed. This could have been a great chance to give something back to Scottish golfers but the reality is, unless you're paying top dollar they aren't interested. They even removed the Scottish residents rate a year or so ago. Even something like £100 per round, they'd still be making plenty money.

Had to laugh because the young Pro guy was from Elgin originally and I do not think he knows really where Lochgelly is or the surrounding vistas there but I had to take my opportunity when it arose :lol:  He was straight faced, gave a serious answer and all the my mates were on the floor in stitches.  I do not think he wanted to tell a paying customer to **** off :lol:

Unfortunately I think Dumbarnie may go the same way as Kingsbarns both got American money behind them and all that means is interest in big profit not sporting integrity.  Sound familiar.  Hopefully I am wrong but even at the moment when their tee times are pretty empty the rule is no foul weather refunds.  Surely at the moment if it is teeming down, like today and there will be people turn up who have booked they should say to local three balls sorry it is not great so do you want to come back next week.  Even if they just offered a one tee time option.  If they were truly sport driven they would but I think Dumbarnie is about money unfortunately.

Edited by joondalupjambo

hmfc_liam06
16 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Had to laugh because the young Pro guy was from Elgin originally and I do not think he knows really where Lochgelly is or the surrounding vistas there but I had to take my opportunity when it arose :lol:  He was straight faced, gave a serious answer and all the my mates were on the floor in stitches.  I do not think he wanted to tell a paying customer to **** off :lol:

Unfortunately I think Dumbarnie may go the same way as Kingsbarns both got American money behind them and all that means is interest in big profit not sporting integrity.  Sound familiar.  Hopefully I am wrong but even at the moment when their tee times are pretty empty the rule is no foul weather refunds.  Surely at the moment if it is teeming down, like today and there will be people turn up who have booked they should say to local three balls sorry it is not great so do you want to come back next week.  Even if they just offered a one tee time option.  If they were truly sport driven they would but I think Dumbarnie is about money unfortunately.

:lol:

Yeah totally, that's why I am making sure I play it this year. There's no telling what will happen next year or beyond.

Irons still bloody horrible today. :sob: 

I hit my first clean, sweetly struck iron on the 18th hole! The rest were all caught either horribly thin or at least very slightly thin. Better than the full range of horror mis-hits I had last week but still hugely annoying. At least I now know what I have to work on. I can cure thinning it if I ever get a chance to hit a practice range soon.

Driving to 100 yards from the green in the middle of the fairway, pull out a gap wedge, thin it 150 yards right over the green and into the heavy rough.  :(  Did similar to this multiple times.

A few horrifically thinned mid irons that went about 100 yards too. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Irons still bloody horrible today. :sob: 

I hit my first clean, sweetly struck iron on the 18th hole! The rest were all caught either horribly thin or at least very slightly thin. Better than the full range of horror mis-hits I had last week but still hugely annoying. At least I now know what I have to work on. I can cure thinning it if I ever get a chance to hit a practice range soon.

Driving to 100 yards from the green in the middle of the fairway, pull out a gap wedge, thin it 150 yards right over the green and into the heavy rough.  :(  Did similar to this multiple times.

A few horrifically thinned mid irons that went about 100 yards too. 

My ball striking was off today and was punished with three 7s in the round! 😄 😬 Two double bogeys and a treble! First time I've scored in the 80s for a couple of years. 

Need an hour or two on the range this week to get timing and striking crisp again. 

Woods and putter were fine but no doubt they'll go once I correct the irons! 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

My ball striking was off today and was punished with three 7s in the round! 😄 😬 Two double bogeys and a treble! First time I've scored in the 80s for a couple of years. 

Need an hour or two on the range this week to get timing and striking crisp again. 

Woods and putter were fine but no doubt they'll go once I correct the irons! 

My driving, 3 wood and hybrid are all fine, likewise just the irons. Had a couple of 7s on the card myself! Went on a brutal run in the middle the round of a triple bogey followed by three double bogeys.

Our practice area is still closed. Need it so badly! Anyone know of any ranges that are open?

Harry Potter
8 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

My driving, 3 wood and hybrid are all fine, likewise just the irons. Had a couple of 7s on the card myself! Went on a brutal run in the middle the round of a triple bogey followed by three double bogeys.

Our practice area is still closed. Need it so badly! Anyone know of any ranges that are open?

Just get on the course but ignore a score, practice only.

8 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

https://www.braidhillsgolf.co.uk/

10 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

https://melvillegolf.com/

Harry Potter

Got a pair of Skechers go golf elite v3, great fit and very comfy.

Just need to see if they improve my golf.:lol:.

10 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Just get on the course but ignore a score, practice only.

The course is rammed. No chance to drop a few balls down and play multiple shots. 

The Gorgie

I use melville but its been a pain in the arse recently due to it being so busy. If you can only get on one of the crappy old mats they don't have tees high enough for you to use the driver. Plus the old mats have zero give in them.

81(42/39)-8=73 in the comp.   +12 but I was +5 for 2 holes while being savaged by the weather.   Would normally expect +1 for those two.    Maybe should have saved another 2 or 3 during the rest but not much.    So really played to about a 75 to 77 which would be decent.   Not striking that well though.

The score entry app is a dog's dinner.   Not able to upload pics of cards.   People in the scores twice,   myself included off two different handicaps.    A score entry crapp.

Samuel Camazzola
7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

81(42/39)-8=73 in the comp.   +12 but I was +5 for 2 holes while being savaged by the weather.   Would normally expect +1 for those two.    Maybe should have saved another 2 or 3 during the rest but not much.    So really played to about a 75 to 77 which would be decent.   Not striking that well though.

The score entry app is a dog's dinner.   Not able to upload pics of cards.   People in the scores twice,   myself included off two different handicaps.    A score entry crapp.

Are you using Club v1 via How Did I Do? We've been using it and it's pretty much the same as entering the scores on the club system - possibly even easier. 

No requirement to submit a physical card for now either. 

3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Are you using Club v1 via How Did I Do? We've been using it and it's pretty much the same as entering the scores on the club system - possibly even easier. 

No requirement to submit a physical card for now either. 

Ours is through our website people.   It's crapp.   It worked fine last time but they've made changes and now it's gone wrong again.    You should get a prompt after entering a score to upload a photo of the card but didn't get it.   Peoples' scores are all over the place as well.    Head scratcher re the duplicated score in the list off two different handicaps.