Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

I'm driving like a single handicapper but hitting irons like a 28er. I need to get to a practise range so badly!

Striking lovely drives 250+ down the fairway every time, only to make a James Blunt of it from within 150 of the green. 

2 GIR hit over 15 holes today. :facepalm:

Thats good driving.👍.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Thats good driving.👍.

It's the only thing saving me from having an absolute meltdown. :lol: 

It's the only thing saving me from having an absolute meltdown. :lol: 

Are you making the same mistake every time with your irons?

Lamkin crossline jumbo grip on my driver.     I can't ever see me not having an oversize grip on the driver.     Best grips for irons are half-cords.    They allow for a little bit of flexibility in the grip instead of too tacky a grip which can be off-putting.

17 hours ago, merrymac said:

Are you making the same mistake every time with your irons?

No, that's the problem. Shanks, thins, fats, pushes. All over the place. Can't find the sweet spot to save myself.

John mcCartney

Could be anything chief,go and have some tuition then a bit thinking and implementation.

Ive been through the mill myself in the past couple of years,had some tuition from Scott Thomson over at Haddington(shots off grass,not mats) and sussed the rest out by myself via Youtube....Id recommend :-

Clay Ballard Top Speed Golf
Athletic Motion Golf
Jonathan Taylor Golf

No, that's the problem. Shanks, thins, fats, pushes. All over the place. Can't find the sweet spot to save myself.

Oops hard to identify then.

If you want to try something different to break the trend, have a look at Steve Johnston (pro at Peebles), and his Eureka golf theory..https://www.eurekagolfswing.com/

Totally different approach. I have been trying it for a couple of weeks now, results still a bit mixed, but when you get it right, its as solid as I have hit the ball for many years.

5 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Lie needing adjusting on your irons or just a rusty swing?

6 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Beginning of the end that. 😂

6 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Beginning of the end that. 😂

1 hour ago, kila said:

Lie needing adjusting on your irons or just a rusty swing?

Just a dodgy swing I think. I do still catch the odd solid one buts it's less than 1 in 3 success rate at the moment. :sob: 

6 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

Could be anything chief,go and have some tuition then a bit thinking and implementation.

Ive been through the mill myself in the past couple of years,had some tuition from Scott Thomson over at Haddington(shots off grass,not mats) and sussed the rest out by myself via Youtube....Id recommend :-

Clay Ballard Top Speed Golf
Athletic Motion Golf
Jonathan Taylor Golf

5 hours ago, merrymac said:

Oops hard to identify then.

If you want to try something different to break the trend, have a look at Steve Johnston (pro at Peebles), and his Eureka golf theory..https://www.eurekagolfswing.com/

Totally different approach. I have been trying it for a couple of weeks now, results still a bit mixed, but when you get it right, its as solid as I have hit the ball for many years.

Cheers. Half the problem is probably me trying to fix things that I wasn't actually doing wrong and instead causing a new issue. Think a lesson with the club pro is required.

I've been working on my wrist hinge as I've always had a fairly shut club face with not enough cocking of the wrists. I end up having to generate power using my body turn and arms without much wrist lag. A higher chance of a hook too from a strong left hand grip that over the years has felt most comfortable regardless of the hinging direction/motion.

Watched quite a few videos talking about the left wrist applying almost like a downward force during the backswing to get the wrists hinging properly. I've only ever focused on the right hand wrist hinge and sort of just let the left hand follow on. Might explain the more shut club face and stiffness of my wrists if they aren't hinging on the right angle/plane. I think I end up overturning to get to parallel at the top too as a result.

I've been experimenting in front of the mirror and it looks good with the club on a better plane and face opening up more. Going to see what happens on the first tee tomorrow. Most likely a high pull left over the trees and into the car park.

neal-jambos

I’m just getting back into golf after not playing much the last few years, And looking to buy a few new clubs. Is there anywhere folk would people recommend? also is there anywhere in Edinburgh you can try clubs on a range before buying?

my driver must be about 15 years old now. I think I might need a stiffer flex so looking to try out stiff and regular shafts. 
After a few more rounds getting my swing back I’ll hopefully be back playing to around 18, and take it from there. 

Is there any pros in Edinburgh or East Lothian people anyone would recommend for some lessons? Not sure if going to the braids or Melville would be my best mate. My last lesson was probably 10 years ago when I was a teenager. 

Edited by neal-jambos

1 hour ago, kila said:

I've been working on my wrist hinge as I've always had a fairly shut club face with not enough cocking of the wrists. I end up having to generate power using my body turn and arms without much wrist lag. A higher chance of a hook too from a strong left hand grip that over the years has felt most comfortable regardless of the hinging direction/motion.

Watched quite a few videos talking about the left wrist applying almost like a downward force during the backswing to get the wrists hinging properly. I've only ever focused on the right hand wrist hinge and sort of just let the left hand follow on. Might explain the more shut club face and stiffness of my wrists if they aren't hinging on the right angle/plane. I think I end up overturning to get to parallel at the top too as a result.

I've been experimenting in front of the mirror and it looks good with the club on a better plane and face opening up more. Going to see what happens on the first tee tomorrow. Most likely a high pull left over the trees and into the car park.

What a timely post. I’ve been struggling with a spinny cut/slice for quite a while now. I was fairly certain my general swing was ok ( needed a few basics tightened up like feet alignment) but I couldn’t fix the cut. It wasn’t until yesterday that I worked on my wrist hinge at Kings Acre and within a few swings I was actually over drawing the ball a bit! I had been cupping my left wrist for years on the back swing and coming in to the ball with an open face. I changed my swing to cup the right wrist on the back swing thereby keeping my left wrist flat and swinging through from there. Felt really weird but club face was much stronger. Just need to dial it in a bit now. It was a eureka moment for me. Funny how such a small thing can playa big part.

53 minutes ago, neal-jambos said:

I’m just getting back into golf after not playing much the last few years, And looking to buy a few new clubs. Is there anywhere folk would people recommend? also is there anywhere in Edinburgh you can try clubs on a range before buying?

my driver must be about 15 years old now. I think I might need a stiffer flex so looking to try out stiff and regular shafts. 

American golf will let you try various clubs and do custom fitting

neal-jambos
Just now, Ray Gin said:

American golf will let you try various clubs and do custom fitting

Cheers. I’m off next week so will book into the one at the braids 

Some stats taken from my ShotScope V2 watch - Putting and Tee shots

Very happy with these. Surprised I miss left off the tee more than I miss right (this includes all tee shots - Par 3s as well).   But I hole 89% of putts under 6ft - so thats a great thing! 

Driving Stats

ShotScope

Edited by Bigsmak
fixing a hole

20 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Very happy with these. Surprised I miss left off the tee more than I miss right (this includes all tee shots - Par 3s as well).   But I hole 89% of putts under 6ft - so thats a great thing! 

Driving Stats

ShotScope

Impressive putting...and driving. 340 yards!

:wow: 

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, neal-jambos said:

After a few more rounds getting my swing back I’ll hopefully be back playing to around 18, and take it from there. 

Is there any pros in Edinburgh or East Lothian people anyone would recommend for some lessons? Not sure if going to the braids or Melville would be my best mate. My last lesson was probably 10 years ago when I was a teenager. 

If you're open to the used club market, Clubs 4 Cash allow you to try them at a course/range and offer a 14 day return guarantee. If you're looking for a proper fit, maybe swerve places like American Golf and try local pros. https://www.golfclubs4cash.co.uk/about-us/

In terms of lessons, Kurt Mungall at Kings Acre has a good rep. He was the pro at Lothianburn who carried out my custom fitting and knows his stuff. https://www.kings-acregolf.com/lessons

Edited by Samuel Camazzola

hmfc_liam06
29 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

@liam_hmfc_1874 I've just found out about the vandalism at your place. Can't believe folk would go out their way to do this. https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/fife-golf-clubs-targeted-in-crime-spree

Hopefully the damage is repaired and not impacted the conditions too much. 

It was a totally sensationalist piece by the Courier. We haven't had to completely relay the 10th green :lol:

Bit of a sickener to wake up to last Wednesday though. Apparently they got chased from the lockups that are behind the trees on the 11th fairway, tried to set them on fire, so a wee bit of damage to the 10th green is probably the best of a bad situation. If those garages went up we'd likely have lost the 11th hole plus the houses next to them would have been in danger too. The wee welts also ripped off the security lighting on the football park changing rooms next to the 11th as well.

neal-jambos
39 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

If you're open to the used club market, Clubs 4 Cash allow you to try them at a course/range and offer a 14 day return guarantee. If you're looking for a proper fit, maybe swerve places like American Golf and try local pros. https://www.golfclubs4cash.co.uk/about-us/

In terms of lessons, Kurt Mungall at Kings Acre has a good rep. He was the pro at Lothianburn who carried out my custom fitting and knows his stuff. https://www.kings-acregolf.com/lessons

Cheers. I’m up Loanhead and lasswade way quite often so that’s defo one I’ll look into. 

hmfc_liam06
9 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

I've been using Shot Scope this year, great bit of kit on the face of it but I have to say the dashboard experience is very very poor. Stats are confusing and laid out/designed very badly.

The app is an asbolute bag of shit as well. Very little stats, no customisation and when you do view a stat you can't go back to then view other stats. You have to completely come out then go back in to stats.

My final gripe is the innacuracy, especially with putting. I have to manipulate the positioning post round, every time.

I come to Shot Scope from Game Golf purely because it combined the watch and tracking aspect but stat presentation Game Golf has it nailed.

Samuel Camazzola
10 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

@Samuel Camazzola Probably about 2.5ft sq plus a couple other wee bits. Left side of the green out of play for a bit.

Screenshot-2020-06-29-at-09.08.16.jpg

Very sad that they'd want to be this destructive. 

TBF, I've probably putted on worse greens than your repair job over the years. 😄

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Very sad that they'd want to be this destructive. 

TBF, I've probably putted on worse greens than your repair job over the years. 😄

Haha I hear ye!

It was knitting in pretty well when I played on Saturday there. The rain will help. My mate is a greenkeeper, reckons a couple months and it'll be playable again.

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

@liam_hmfc_1874 I've just found out about the vandalism at your place. Can't believe folk would go out their way to do this. https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/fife-golf-clubs-targeted-in-crime-spree

Hopefully the damage is repaired and not impacted the conditions too much. 

WTF! Absolute cretins.

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've been using Shot Scope this year, great bit of kit on the face of it but I have to say the dashboard experience is very very poor. Stats are confusing and laid out/designed very badly.

The app is an asbolute bag of shit as well. Very little stats, no customisation and when you do view a stat you can't go back to then view other stats. You have to completely come out then go back in to stats.

My final gripe is the innacuracy, especially with putting. I have to manipulate the positioning post round, every time.

I come to Shot Scope from Game Golf purely because it combined the watch and tracking aspect but stat presentation Game Golf has it nailed.

I get that, I think that the stats have improved from last year but there is still some work to be done.  I will say that the team they have respond very quickly to contact from us.  Recently, Gullane No.3 changed the last hole from a Par 4 to Par 3, moving the green.  I played two rounds on it then emailed them. They changed the hole lay out on their maps within 2 days.  They also updated my rounds to show that my 3 was a par not a birdie on the hole.  I wonder how quick they would look to listen to feedback about how they present the stats! 

I also agree with the moving the pin and putting often as it can be out by a few yards.  

Still a great piece of kit. 

hmfc_liam06
26 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

I get that, I think that the stats have improved from last year but there is still some work to be done.  I will say that the team they have respond very quickly to contact from us.  Recently, Gullane No.3 changed the last hole from a Par 4 to Par 3, moving the green.  I played two rounds on it then emailed them. They changed the hole lay out on their maps within 2 days.  They also updated my rounds to show that my 3 was a par not a birdie on the hole.  I wonder how quick they would look to listen to feedback about how they present the stats! 

I also agree with the moving the pin and putting often as it can be out by a few yards.  

Still a great piece of kit. 

Yeah they seem a decent bunch in regards to stuff like that.

Often my entire putting and flag arent even on the green :lol:

hmfc_liam06

In comparison to Bigsmak, a 13 handicappers stats.

My club yardage is following a pretty consistent path besides my 4i and 6i. The 5i is a bit of an anomoly, rarely use it but the times I have it's been down hill / down wind. No idea why its showing 2 4i's either.

Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 12.05.34.png

Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 12.08.09.png

Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 12.08.34.png

I use the Golfshot app for my distances to the hole etc. Does stats too but I can never be arsed entering how many putts I had or if my teeshot when left or right.

I bought it when it first came out before they moved to a subscription model. But it's well worth it I think. I can't play without GPS yardage now.

https://golfshot.com

home-main-banner-phone.png

Tommy Brown
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

In comparison to Bigsmak, a 13 handicappers stats.

My club yardage is following a pretty consistent path besides my 4i and 6i. The 5i is a bit of an anomoly, rarely use it but the times I have it's been down hill / down wind. No idea why its showing 2 4i's either.

Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 12.05.34.png

Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 12.08.09.png

Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 12.08.34.png

Just ordered one of these off Amazon.

I'll get my Garmin S2 onto ebay/facebook

Liam, least accurate club - PW  (what??) :lol:

hmfc_liam06
17 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Just ordered one of these off Amazon.

I'll get my Garmin S2 onto ebay/facebook

Liam, least accurate club - PW  (what??) :lol:

Its accuracy off the tee haha. We have a par 3 that's 110 yards but the wind comes off left to right all the time. A faders nightmare!

Edited by hmfc_liam06

John mcCartney

Shotscope are Edinburgh punters ,Ive done work for two of the team.
Young punters and deserve a bit support.

I can talk,I have been using for a bunch of years now a very basic Skycaddie Aire

Before lockdown my driving was the only decent part of my game.

After lockdown my driving is soooo bad. But my approach, wedge game and putting are all getting so much better.

I dream of the day all elements hook up on the same day.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Is it still members only? 

It will be at most clubs I think. You'll be able to pay and play the council courses if you register on the Edinburgh leisure site for a free loyalty card though. 

Tommy Brown

@hmfc_liam06, @Bigsmak

I  just received my shotscope v2, from amazon. need your help.

i have only received 12 tags, 4 missing.

D, 3W

H1

4I-9I

GW, X1 & X2

what am i missing? 

I need 5w, putter, DW, H2 or LW

I paid £85 as it said it was scratched (it isnt), I only see returns on amazon , but dont want to return.

Just need another couple of tags, i will try online, ebay, blah blah

16 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

@hmfc_liam06, @Bigsmak

I  just received my shotscope v2, from amazon. need your help.

i have only received 12 tags, 4 missing.

D, 3W

H1

4I-9I

GW, X1 & X2

what am i missing? 

I need 5w, putter, DW, H2 or LW

I paid £85 as it said it was scratched (it isnt), I only see returns on amazon , but dont want to return.

Just need another couple of tags, i will try online, ebay, blah blah

You could ask Shotscope themselves - 

Tommy Brown
1 minute ago, Bigsmak said:

You could ask Shotscope themselves - 

Looking like they sell in complete sets only. not looking good. sent inquiry

not seeing any on ebay

About to launch V3.

Edited by Tommy Brown

hmfc_liam06
27 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Looking like they sell in complete sets only. not looking good. sent inquiry

not seeing any on ebay

About to launch V3.

Just explain what's happened and they may send you them.

Tommy Brown
4 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

they replaced a bit on my strap easily

Good response from Shotscope.

Out of stock, but will be available next week.

On showing how to set up the watch, the booklet shows Pumpherston GC. My home club.

Preston field too. So obviously local lads.

The Gorgie

This is such a woman question but should i buy a new bag to match? 😂

Over the last few weeks I've upgraded my entire set. New Cobra F9 driver and fairway wood, cobra king F8 irons (5-GW) and not new but new to me Clevland classic putter. My current bag is a Ben Sayers M9, it's actually a decent bag with plenty pockets but I seen a Cobra one I liked. Do you think its a bit OTT getting a Cobra bag too? 

6 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

This is such a woman question but should i buy a new bag to match? 😂

Over the last few weeks I've upgraded my entire set. New Cobra F9 driver and fairway wood, cobra king F8 irons (5-GW) and not new but new to me Clevland classic putter. My current bag is a Ben Sayers M9, it's actually a decent bag with plenty pockets but I seen a Cobra one I liked. Do you think its a bit OTT getting a Cobra bag too? 

Take a breath for a second @Mr 3 Putt.

You will be talking about matching accessories next😂

At club golfer level  the best bag is the one that does the job best at the right price., and looking good is a bonus.

Functionality is King.

The Gorgie
8 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Take a breath for a second @Mr 3 Putt.

You will be talking about matching accessories next😂

At club golfer level  the best bag is the one that does the job best at the right price., and looking good is a bonus.

Functionality is King.

Yeah you are 100% right, its a good bag as i say but just looks a bit meh with the new clubs in it. Mind you not as Meh as the idiot holding the clubs 😂

1 minute ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Yeah you are 100% right, its a good bag as i say but just looks a bit meh with the new clubs in it. Mind you not as Meh as the idiot holding the clubs 😂

😂😂 You go for it then.

I have done the matching clubs, bag in the past, if its a good bag then not a problem.

I rarely go for same woods, irons etc so never usually a problem for me

More a mix n match kinda guy😂

If  it makes you feel good, then likely you will play good.:thumbsup: