Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The best idea I have heard regarding pins is from a few clubs down south who've cut the in play hole 4 feet to the left of every pin. 

From the clubs I'm a member of, they issued an email advising of a window period to collect belongings from a locker. If any members couldn't make it, all they had to do was request a time and date to gain access to the club to gather things. 

The two tee thing seems unnecessary. 

Never thought of the now obvious solution.    A spiked pin placed in the ground near the hole.   Lift and place the ball away if it impedes the shot.    No need to cut two holes.    

John mcCartney

The violence on the courses just now is fecking brutal.
Thats a reason to open again,surely.

3 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

The violence on the courses just now is fecking brutal.
Thats a reason to open again,surely.

Crossed my mind that.    I reckon the course infestations will be difficult to push back once golfers get to be on the golf courses too.    

The Mighty Thor
13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Crossed my mind that.    I reckon the course infestations will be difficult to push back once golfers get to be on the golf courses too.    

We've had to rope off greens and other areas. 

The sooner we get back the quicker the vermin interlopers will feck off

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

We've had to rope off greens and other areas. 

The sooner we get back the quicker the vermin interlopers will feck off

I can see it being difficult for some.    

Some bird in my instagram feed posted a photo of her and her wee boy on their local golfcourse with the wee lad diving into bunkers. Made me seethe.

John mcCartney

Go back to the Bunkered magazine link,read the bonking in the bunker piece and end up at the Walton Heath figure of eights on the greens .......outrageous !

hmfc_liam06
9 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Family picnic beside our 16th green.

The green is built onto a pond.

Father and kids playing football on the green.

Should have chucked them in.

We had a family playing football on our 6th green on Monday. That and a guy out with a few clubs playing some shots.

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We had a family playing football on our 6th green on Monday. That and a guy out with a few clubs playing some shots.

They got frightened off by the male swan :lol:

just before the police arrived.

We are going to give the swan honourary membership.

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Seriously, of all the space on a golf course why choose a ****ing green to have a kickabout on?! Absolute cretins!

hmfc_liam06
46 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

They got frightened off by the male swan :lol:

just before the police arrived.

We are going to give the swan honourary membership.

It's not the shallowest of waters in that pond either!

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Seriously, of all the space on a golf course why choose a ****ing green to have a kickabout on?! Absolute cretins!

Greens and bunkers are always the magnets for cretins on a course.    

How are people coping with the lack of golf? I’m really struggling as I’m sure we all are but I am relatively lucky with the fact I have a garden and an area to do some putting in the living room.

What I have found, however, is that I am spending more money on golf gear that I can’t even use! Bag, shoes, putter. Can’t even use them. 

6 minutes ago, dicksojo said:

How are people coping with the lack of golf? I’m really struggling as I’m sure we all are but I am relatively lucky with the fact I have a garden and an area to do some putting in the living room.

What I have found, however, is that I am spending more money on golf gear that I can’t even use! Bag, shoes, putter. Can’t even use them. 

I miss it so much. Even to go out and play a round plagued by constant shanks sounds appealing right now.

:sob: 

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

I miss it so much. Even to go out and play a round plagued by constant shanks sounds appealing right now.

:sob: 

I’d play in a ploughed field if I were allowed! 

41 minutes ago, dicksojo said:

Had a chipping sesh in the garden but was like a coo with a banjo.    Next time might be better.    Thinking about getting some netting up.    

Everybody Loves Baz!
54 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Had a chipping sesh in the garden but was like a coo with a banjo.    Next time might be better.    Thinking about getting some netting up.    

My netting comes Monday for my framework. It's 3m wide x 2m high.....just hope that's big enough.

If not, I'm sure there will be some neighbourly words exchanged.

14 minutes ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

My netting comes Monday for my framework. It's 3m wide x 2m high.....just hope that's big enough.

If not, I'm sure there will be some neighbourly words exchanged.

Should be great.   I think I would try to rig up an L shape to mitigate the risk of any meaty septic tanks.

I've got a wee chipping net and some foam balls so I can practice around 30-feet chips going from my hallway through to a bedroom. Everytime I walk through the hallway I need to stop and hit 6 chips. I feel like I've improved a lot (this was by far the worst part of my game) but how much it will transfer to playing chips with proper balls on a course I don't know. 

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Did any of you guys start playing golf later in life? 

I started at 12 as a junior member but played before that.    My dad hadn't hit a shot before he was 26 and he went on to be a 3 h/c.   

37 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I've got a wee chipping net and some foam balls so I can practice around 30-feet chips going from my hallway through to a bedroom. Everytime I walk through the hallway I need to stop and hit 6 chips. I feel like I've improved a lot (this was by far the worst part of my game) but how much it will transfer to playing chips with proper balls on a course I don't know. 

The thing is getting the false confidence of continually striking off a firm,  consistent lie.     Same as a golf mat.    As we know there's all types of turf conditions and lies on the course.

Edited by Victorian

hmfc_liam06
11 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Started playing proper around 5 years ago when I was 29.

Everybody Loves Baz!
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Should be great.   I think I would try to rig up an L shape to mitigate the risk of any meaty septic tanks.

I've got a bigger back up net coming later so that will help.

34 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Started playing proper around 5 years ago when I was 29.

What are you playing off now Liam, did you get decent at it quickly. 

38 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I started at 12 as a junior member but played before that.    My dad hadn't hit a shot before he was 26 and he went on to be a 3 h/c.   

You'll be single figures handicap then? 

How do you know your handicap Vic, do you have to play in medals or something, and how does it work? 

Edited by Cruyff

hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I've been playing competitive golf for 3 years.

Went from 24-20 year 1, 20-17 year 2 and 17-15 year 3. Overall I'm aiming to get to around 12 or so. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

You'll be single figures handicap then? 

How do you know your handicap Vic, do you have to play in medals or something, and how does it work? 

Yes the outgoing handicap system meant being in a club and playing in competitions.    You get the original h/c by playing 3 rounds and the club allocates a h/c based on the cards.   Then your h/c is reviewed after every competition to a system.    The incoming system is going to be much more complicated.    Algebraic stuff.

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've been playing competitive golf for 3 years.

Went from 24-20 year 1, 20-17 year 2 and 17-15 year 3. Overall I'm aiming to get to around 12 or so. 

That's pretty good mate. Keep it up. I'd just love to get to a stage where I could par a 550 yrd par 5 😂 

Yes the outgoing handicap system meant being in a club and playing in competitions.    You get the original h/c by playing 3 rounds and the club allocates a h/c based on the cards.   Then your h/c is reviewed after every competition to a system.    The incoming system is going to be much more complicated.    Algebraic stuff.

Cheers vic. 

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, Victorian said:

Don't feel too bad. Top tour player and Ryder Cup captain does this. 😂

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, Cruyff said:

To ease yourself in, start with chipping and putting. Many will tell you the short game is the most important part of the game too. 70% of your shots will be from 70 yards in. 

If Bruntsfield is accessible to you, their pitch and putt will provide a good introduction for you. Once you want to progress on to a course, Swanston have a par 3 course which is not bad and will provide a track where you get to use a variety of clubs and shot types. 

These are good ways to ease into the game while going to a range will allow you to get used to hitting fuller shots 

Good luck and don't be afraid to approach a local pro for a lesson. They won't judge on your lack of ability. They'll be delighted you are taking up the game and fully supportive. 

hmfc_liam06
10 hours ago, Cruyff said:

That's pretty good mate. Keep it up. I'd just love to get to a stage where I could par a 550 yrd par 5 😂

I know everyone wants to drop as quickly as possible but I feel a gradual decrease allows me to remain competitive. Seen a few guys get absolutely slashed quickly then struggle off their lower mark. I've never felt my handicap has been detrimental.

I've a mate who, when doing his cards for his handicap, had 2 very good rounds then on the 3rd went out and ripped up the course. It was definitely more "one of those days" than a reflection on his usual standard. He got given a 10, he's never got close to 10, think he's now off 14.

hmfc_liam06

And PS it's not the 550 yard par 5's you need to worry about getting a par on, it's the 460 yard par 4's!!

Going on my averages a 550 par 5 would be a driver (230), hybrid (180), 7 or 8 iron depending on pin then 2 putt. A 460 par 4 I've nothing in my bag that can reach that in 2 unless I've creamed a drive. The one shot I just cannot get to grips with is a 3 wood off the deck.

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

And PS it's not the 550 yard par 5's you need to worry about getting a par on, it's the 460 yard par 4's!!

Going on my averages a 550 par 5 would be a driver (230), hybrid (180), 7 or 8 iron depending on pin then 2 putt. A 460 par 4 I've nothing in my bag that can reach that in 2 unless I've creamed a drive. The one shot I just cannot get to grips with is a 3 wood off the deck.

In recent years 3 wood off a tee not a problem, 3 wood off the deck and I’ve seen myself hit some horrendous slices and I mean right angle like slices . It’s put the fear in me, find myself laying up more often than not on par5s Even if it’s reachable.

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Irufushi said:

In recent years 3 wood off a tee not a problem, 3 wood off the deck and I’ve seen myself hit some horrendous slices and I mean right angle like slices . It’s put the fear in me, find myself laying up more often than not on par5s Even if it’s reachable.

Haha I hear you! I can hit a 3 wood no problem off the tee as well, usually with a nice draw. Get it on the deck and I'll top it 9/10.

On a good day I can reach about 200 with the 22 degree hybrid plus I'm fairly consistent with it, mis-hits are rare. I will likely opt to buy a matching 19 degree to try get a wee bit more. It's the Callaway X Hot I have, absolutely love it and noticed that Callaway have re-modelled them recently so I might just treat myself. Only non-Titleist club in the bag :lol:

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Haha I hear you! I can hit a 3 wood no problem off the tee as well, usually with a nice draw. Get it on the deck and I'll top it 9/10.

On a good day I can reach about 200 with the 22 degree hybrid plus I'm fairly consistent with it, mis-hits are rare. I will likely opt to buy a matching 19 degree to try get a wee bit more. It's the Callaway X Hot I have, absolutely love it and noticed that Callaway have re-modelled them recently so I might just treat myself. Only non-Titleist club in the bag :lol:

I have an X Hot too, the 3-hybrid. I usually get around 200-210 or so out of it if I strike it clean. There have been a couple I've absolutely creamed about 240 though which sounds great on paper but not when I deliberately played the hybrid instead of a 3 wood to lay up short of a bunker which I ended up bombing straight into.

Edited by Ray Gin

3 hours ago, Irufushi said:

I'm the opposite with my 3 wood off the deck. Hook every single time.

hmfc_liam06
22 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I have an X Hot too, the 3-hybrid. I usually get around 200-210 or so out of it if I strike it clean. There have been a couple I've absolutely creamed about 240 though which sounds great on paper but not when I deliberately played the hybrid instead of a 3 wood to lay up short of a bunker which I ended up bombing straight into.

They're great clubs, so easy to hit.

Although I tried my mates Titleist 818 19 degree stiff shaft hybrids once at Dalmahoy and absolutely murdered it about 240 as well. I usually play with regular but definitely got me thinking...it was either a one off fluke or I should look at what shafts I'm using.

I'll go with fluke :lol:

Victorian

An R&A idea included in their guidance to the government re return of golf.

The Committee may decide to have the hole liner sitting above the surface of the green and treat a ball as holed if it strikes the liner.

Lunacy.    This effectively makes 'the hole' a lot larger and allows players to over-hit putts at the liner to simply make contact and count as holed out.    The idea of having something sitting in the cup to stop the ball dropping to the bottom is enough.     

hmfc_liam06
13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The Committee may decide to have the hole liner sitting above the surface of the green and treat a ball as holed if it strikes the liner.

Lunacy.    This effectively makes 'the hole' a lot larger and allows players to over-hit putts at the liner to simply make contact and count as holed out.    The idea of having something sitting in the cup to stop the ball dropping to the bottom is enough.     

We had our cups upturned, gave about a 1cm drop. Not ideal but the best solution.

Springy holes. Once the ball hits a sensor in the bottom of the cup it springs up and launches your ball back out. :D

20 hours ago, Victorian said:

The thing is getting the false confidence of continually striking off a firm,  consistent lie.     Same as a golf mat.    As we know there's all types of turf conditions and lies on the course.

Very true. Doesn't replicate the fluffy lie where I frequently slide the club right under the ball and the ball pops forwards about 3 yards. :lol: 

Victorian

Springy holes. Once the ball hits a sensor in the bottom of the cup it springs up and launches your ball back out. :D

Sounds great.   Like something Rodney Dangerfield would have had in Caddyshack.

Victorian

Very true. Doesn't replicate the fluffy lie where I frequently slide the club right under the ball and the ball pops forwards about 3 yards. :lol: 

I sympathise.    The chip shot,   especially the more delicate type of chip shot,   tends to be the sort of shot that can cause uncertainty / jitters.     Having confidence or imagining how the clubhead will react with the lie is important.    It's very easy to convince yourself that your lie is worse than it is,   or that the lie prevents a gentle chip.    There's always a fine line between decelerating at the strike and being too quick with it.     It really is very important to practice and ingrain a chipping action and also to take the time to have 3 or 4 practice swings near to your shot.    I'm guilty of neglecting both.

Everybody Loves Baz!
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Was there not a discussion about a smaller circle being painted (about 2-3 inches) around the cup and the ball had to stay within that to count as it being holed?

So to stop folk rattling their ball straight at the risen sleeve.

Or am I imagining it?