Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

7 minutes ago, Barack said:

Yes, I believe there are these people called Club Pro's. They might be your best bet, mate. ;)

Seriously though, where about are you up there again? Folk on here will suggest good stuff dependent on area. Driving ranges, local clubs.

I myself never took a lesson, and I happily play around off a 16 handicap whenever I can. Was a 12 at my "best." Just don't play as much as we all would like. 

Starter set of clubs. Look on American Golf, Clubhouse Golf etc. Or if someone you know is getting rid of a set. Go to a pitch & putt course too, and get the wee fundamentals. I found that helped. 

I'd love to be decent at it. I've watched most of Peter Finch and Rick Shiels vids and they give out good tips but I can't put that into practice unless i give it a bash. 

16 is decent, I'd be chuffed at just being able to hit it in the Air :laugh:

As you know, I've been booted out my house, so I'm back in Leith. I'm just wondering if Portobello 9 hole is still there. Of course, Musselburgh is just along the road but I think that's a wee bit harder. 

I don't know any driving ranges near by. 

I've got a set of Seve Ballesteros, 19 canteen Dunlop clubs that were my auld mans from the 70's, proper wood and everything. :rofl:I'm sure the irons will be fine for practising with just now though. 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

How do you go about starting to play golf? 

I love watching it, just never played it since I was a kid but I want to start playing. 

Obviously i can't just turn up at a course and start playing because i'll be absolutely gash and that will probably make me chuck it too quickly. 

Don't know how to hold a club, don't know how to swing a club, can you hire folk to give you lessons and does it cost a lot? 

Take it in steps.

Buy cheap second hand clubs and a number of practice balls (40 or 50 should do)

Find somewhere to go to hit a number of short shots.  Chips and pitches and full iron shots.   Start off with trying to hit short chip shots (wedge or sand iron) to practice an action.    This will begin the process of developing a swing and timing and ball striking.   Just grip the club and stand over the ball naturally (you can do things more technically later).   Just keep hitting chip shots over and over until you get accustomed to striking the ball,   flighting it into the air,   etc.    You can start to hit slightly longer shots as you go along.    Keep building up confidence to hit shots and gradually hit harder and longer shots.   Move on to the 9 iron and the 8 iron and so on.

Later on,   have a look at tuition resources on the Internet and start to get an idea of the orthodox basics of the game.   Grip.  Stance.  Posture.  Swing.    Try out what you find on your next practice.    If anything feels too alien,  awkward or uncomfortable then go back to the natural,  comfortable way of doing it.     Better to learn how to hit driver and 3 wood shots later on once you progress.

Later on again you can visit most club professionals for a lesson.    Usually about £25 for half hour sessions.    Most will be happy to book in a course of 6 or so lessons and get you to practice technical points they teach you.

Really just an ongoing process of getting used to hitting the ball,   becoming more familiar with the game and progressing with lessons and practice.     It takes a lot of time and practice.    Not every player will become particularly good right away.    It can sometimes take years of playing to attain a good standard.    But it doesn't matter because it is a game of multiple standards.    

10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Take it in steps.

Buy cheap second hand clubs and a number of practice balls (40 or 50 should do)

Find somewhere to go to hit a number of short shots.  Chips and pitches and full iron shots.   Start off with trying to hit short chip shots (wedge or sand iron) to practice an action.    This will begin the process of developing a swing and timing and ball striking.   Just grip the club and stand over the ball naturally (you can do things more technically later).   Just keep hitting chip shots over and over until you get accustomed to striking the ball,   flighting it into the air,   etc.    You can start to hit slightly longer shots as you go along.    Keep building up confidence to hit shots and gradually hit harder and longer shots.   Move on to the 9 iron and the 8 iron and so on.

Later on,   have a look at tuition resources on the Internet and start to get an idea of the orthodox basics of the game.   Grip.  Stance.  Posture.  Swing.    Try out what you find on your next practice.    If anything feels too alien,  awkward or uncomfortable then go back to the natural,  comfortable way of doing it.     Better to learn how to hit driver and 3 wood shots later on once you progress.

Later on again you can visit most club professionals for a lesson.    Usually about £25 for half hour sessions.    Most will be happy to book in a course of 6 or so lessons and get you to practice technical points they teach you.

Really just an ongoing process of getting used to hitting the ball,   becoming more familiar with the game and progressing with lessons and practice.     It takes a lot of time and practice.    Not every player will become particularly good right away.    It can sometimes take years of playing to attain a good standard.    But it doesn't matter because it is a game of multiple standards.    

Cheers Vic, nice one. I'm not bothered about competing or being especially great at it. I just want something to do to get out and I'm in that weird category of folk that love watching it but never play it. 

I'm definitely going to give it a go. There's no danger I'm going to play a proper 18 hole course until i can strike it decent enough anyway. 

I'll follow that advice. Thanks again. 👍 

Just now, Cruyff said:

Cheers Vic, nice one. I'm not bothered about competing or being especially great at it. I just want something to do to get out and I'm in that weird category of folk that love watching it but never play it. 

I'm definitely going to give it a go. There's no danger I'm going to play a proper 18 hole course until i can strike it decent enough anyway. 

I'll follow that advice. Thanks again. 👍 

You never know.  Some players do become quite good straight away.   I've seen guys achieve a single figure handicap within a year or so of taking it up.    It is entirely possible.    

How good you become depends on a couple of things.     Firstly consistency (not hitting too many destructive shots and being decent at all the different types of shots in golf,   of which there are many).    Secondly,   how powerful your swing gets.    Consistent power gets you to very low handicap level.    It helps to get to levels behind that.    The longer you hit it... the more options you have.     But it isn't everything.

John mcCartney

Cruyffy ,Craigentinny is a mile east from you..........twylight,bunch of nuts and one club will do

Look up the correct grip,correct posture and carry out a half swing mirror image feel to the swing back and through.
You must remember to link the arms with upper body when COILING as one unit .Let your hands and arms cock naturally (at the mo)..Imagine or even put a tenner note between your left armpit and chest(assuming your right handed) to start and feel the coil when turning back,then uncoiling down/through with right shoulder going under chin.Im not going on about your hips or feet as you will find out whats best if you do the above correctly.Good luck with it all

Edited by John mcCartney

38 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You never know.  Some players do become quite good straight away.   I've seen guys achieve a single figure handicap within a year or so of taking it up.    It is entirely possible.    

How good you become depends on a couple of things.     Firstly consistency (not hitting too many destructive shots and being decent at all the different types of shots in golf,   of which there are many).    Secondly,   how powerful your swing gets.    Consistent power gets you to very low handicap level.    It helps to get to levels behind that.    The longer you hit it... the more options you have.     But it isn't everything.

I know a wee bit from the videos and I understand it, it's just putting it into practice. 

From what I remember when playing as a kid, I used to try and smash every shot as hard as I could, never realising that you don't need to and different clubs hit different distances. Driver was always the toughest to hit. 

I know a bit and understand like playing fades and draws is to do with your hands and stance. Never fight a slope when chipping. Chipping around the green, play it like a putting stroke. I've got a wee bit knowledge. 

It'll definitely be accuracy first before power. I reckon if I can hit it 250-280 yrds with a driver, I'd be doing good. 

As you say though, if I can get the basics down, grip, stance, swing and consistency, then maybe look to improve through a lesson and invest in some good clubs. 

We'll see how it goes. 👍 

23 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

Cruyffy ,Craigentinny is a mile east from you..........twylight,bunch of nuts and one club will do

Look up the correct grip,correct posture and carry out a half swing mirror image feel to the swing back and through.
You must remember to link the arms with upper body when COILING as one unit .Let your hands and arms cock naturally (at the mo)..Imagine or even put a tenner note between your left armpit and chest(assuming your right handed) to start and feel the coil when turning back,then uncoiling down/through with right shoulder going under chin.Im not going on about your hips or feet as you will find out whats best if you do the above correctly.Good luck with it all

Yeah, it's just along the road from me mate. I remember playing Craigentinny with my mates when I was about 14, probably the last time I played. I think we were all about 38+ tbh. 😁 

18 holes is probably something i'll progress too after I have a go at a 9 hole pitch and putt. I've played Portobello when i was a kid as well, I think that's quite a decent wee course but ive no idea whether it is still there or not. 

I've watched a few Shiels and Finch vids and I totally understand all the things you have to do for each club, like Driver you're a bit more forward over the ball, with a more open stance, chipping your more closed with your feet. 

It's the grip i don't get, it looks akward as tbh but again, you could have a great swing but if you've got a shit grip it won't matter because you' ll have no control. So I'll need to figure out if I naturally draw it or fade it and all that stuff. 

John mcCartney

Craigy was where I grew up for a bit of time and where I started playing.Nobod in my family played golf or tried to.
Used to climb over onto the second tee nearly everytime in season and followed all the booked on punters at 7.30pm onwards when kids.You look at Craigentinny nowadays and its like a ghost town ,back in the early to mid eighties it was busy after work hours and at weekends too.
My swing was entirely home made and led to ingraining bad habits unbeknown to me .Gave the game up for 15 years practically and when i started it up again found that I needed a lot of work to arrive at a golfer who could reach his best and enjoy his round.Its only recently that I have sussed it and modifying my grip is definitely a big part of that.When your grip is correct and your sternum(breastbone) is slightly ahead of the ball then your in a good position at address.

51 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I know a wee bit from the videos and I understand it, it's just putting it into practice. 

From what I remember when playing as a kid, I used to try and smash every shot as hard as I could, never realising that you don't need to and different clubs hit different distances. Driver was always the toughest to hit. 

I know a bit and understand like playing fades and draws is to do with your hands and stance. Never fight a slope when chipping. Chipping around the green, play it like a putting stroke. I've got a wee bit knowledge. 

It'll definitely be accuracy first before power. I reckon if I can hit it 250-280 yrds with a driver, I'd be doing good. 

As you say though, if I can get the basics down, grip, stance, swing and consistency, then maybe look to improve through a lesson and invest in some good clubs. 

We'll see how it goes. 👍 

Yeah, it's just along the road from me mate. I remember playing Craigentinny with my mates when I was about 14, probably the last time I played. I think we were all about 38+ tbh. 😁 

18 holes is probably something i'll progress too after I have a go at a 9 hole pitch and putt. I've played Portobello when i was a kid as well, I think that's quite a decent wee course but ive no idea whether it is still there or not. 

I've watched a few Shiels and Finch vids and I totally understand all the things you have to do for each club, like Driver you're a bit more forward over the ball, with a more open stance, chipping your more closed with your feet. 

It's the grip i don't get, it looks akward as tbh but again, you could have a great swing but if you've got a shit grip it won't matter because you' ll have no control. So I'll need to figure out if I naturally draw it or fade it and all that stuff. 

You'd be doing VERY good if you average that with a drive as a noob.

Your average 13-20 handicapper only hits their drives about 200.

joondalupjambo

Walked through Dumbarnie Links today. Fairways and their layout and the greens look superb.  Rest of the place scruffy as you would imagine.  

Dirt tracks throughout the course have been compressed but you would think at 230 a round, to overseas and non Scottish players that these would get tarmac on them or another good quality finish to make it look a better quality overall?   Perhaps they were waiting to get some cash flow going with the bookings but that will be slow now you would have thought.

One guy working building the stone wall at the main entrance and clubhouse part finished. Website still states opening on 16th May and they have a count down clock on One of the pages.  Good luck with that😃

On the other subject of annual fees our club has 500k in the bank so they will get my payment near the due date.  Also a waiting list of circa 50, who know they need to pay circa 1200 to join, so we are not short of dough or more new members income. Reckon the cash flow figure will reduce with a limited number, if any visitors this summer but still pretty healthy overall.

Edited by joondalupjambo

John mcCartney
21 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Walked through Dumbarnie Links today. Fairways and their layout and the greens look superb.  Rest of the place scruffy as you would imagine.  

Dirt tracks throughout the course have been compressed but you would think at 230 a round, to overseas and non Scottish players that these would get tarmac on them or another good quality finish to make it look a better quality overall?  

That sounds entirely shit with the compressed grass tracks/pathways,unbecoming of a great modern links.Surely they will sort that out.
Leven has rubber,Fairmont has some sort of aggregate at theirs iirc.....

Samuel Camazzola
42 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Dirt tracks throughout the course have been compressed but you would think at 230 a round, to overseas and non Scottish players that these would get tarmac on them or another good quality finish to make it look a better quality overall?   Perhaps they were waiting to get some cash flow going with the bookings but that will be slow now you would have thought.

One guy working building the stone wall at the main entrance and clubhouse part finished. Website still states opening on 16th May and they have a count down clock on One of the pages.  Good luck with that😃

On the other subject of annual fees our club has 500k in the bank so they will get my payment near the due date.  Also a waiting list of circa 50, who know they need to pay circa 1200 to join, so we are not short of dough or more new members income. Reckon the cash flow figure will reduce with a limited number, if any visitors this summer but still pretty healthy overall.

It still looks tremendous. I intend to play it next month (or June should current circumstances dictate). 

I see the Tom Weiskopf course up by St Andrews (The Feddinch) is on the market. It intended to open a while ago but work was halted. 

It was due to be an exclusive club where membership was via invitation only. Hopefully it can be bought and retained as a golf club (which is accessible to all). 

joondalupjambo
20 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

It still looks tremendous. I intend to play it next month (or June should current circumstances dictate). 

I see the Tom Weiskopf course up by St Andrews (The Feddinch) is on the market. It intended to open a while ago but work was halted. 

It was due to be an exclusive club where membership was via invitation only. Hopefully it can be bought and retained as a golf club (which is accessible to all). 

Where is that course?  

They had planned one on the road approaching St Andrews, as you head to Morrison's from Largo, on the left hand side.  What was that to be called do you know?

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Where is that course?  

They had planned one on the road approaching St Andrews, as you head to Morrison's from Largo, on the left hand side.  What was that to be called do you know?

That's the one. The Feddinch Club

http://feddinchstandrews.com/the-course/

4 hours ago, Cruyff said:

How do you go about starting to play golf? 

I love watching it, just never played it since I was a kid but I want to start playing. 

Obviously i can't just turn up at a course and start playing because i'll be absolutely gash and that will probably make me chuck it too quickly. 

Don't know how to hold a club, don't know how to swing a club, can you hire folk to give you lessons and does it cost a lot? 

Buy some foam balls, get 9 for about £5 from amazon and hit them about the garden. About as good as it gonna get just now.  Obviously you aren't going to get distance on them but that's not important, working on your swing and contact with the ball will help when it comes to the real thing.

I had a chip in the garden yesterday.  First hits in about 7 months.   Christ it was hard going to get club on ball.    Dobbed a few a few feet.    If I had been holding a pneumatic drill instead of a wedge it wouldn't have felt much different.   

joondalupjambo
32 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

That's the one. The Feddinch Club

http://feddinchstandrews.com/the-course/

Cheers for that.

Aye that was carved out years and years ago, we pass it each time we go up to St Andrews from Largo.  It never looked like it was going to open so maybe the plan was to do the basics and sell on.  Must ask a mate of mine who works for the St Andrews Links Trust he will have the latest gossip.

Samuel Camazzola
36 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Cheers for that.

Aye that was carved out years and years ago, we pass it each time we go up to St Andrews from Largo.  It never looked like it was going to open so maybe the plan was to do the basics and sell on.  Must ask a mate of mine who works for the St Andrews Links Trust he will have the latest gossip.

Another wee article from during the week on it. 👍 

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/unfinished-st-andrews-course-goes-up-for-sale

hmfc_liam06
4 hours ago, Cruyff said:

You might want to reign in your expectations, that's single figure handicap level of driving :lol:

hmfc_liam06

SGU refunding clubs fees for the year. 

Somehow I don't think this would have come about if it weren't for the pasting they were taking in the media.

53 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Somehow I don't think this would have come about if it weren't for the pasting they were taking in the media.

Generous of them :huh:

Considering the new handicapping situation has the potential to cost struggling clubs thousands on new software.

They just want to control everything - centralised booking system etc!!

John mcCartney
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You might want to reign in your expectations, that's single figure handicap level of driving :lol:

😀

joondalupjambo
11 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Another wee article from during the week on it. 👍 

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/unfinished-st-andrews-course-goes-up-for-sale

When the idea first started it seemed to be a couple of guys, a Range Rover, a couple of JCB's and a big truck :pleased:   In all these years it never looked like they really were driving the project and that it just looked like the farmer sold some land to a few DIY guys.  I always thought it was a vision too far and with it not being a course it would flounder.  It was probably going to have to compete with The Dukes in terms of a local St Andrews inland course and it just never looked the part.   As I say will try and see if I can some local inside gossip on it.

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

When the idea first started it seemed to be a couple of guys, a Range Rover, a couple of JCB's and a big truck :pleased:   In all these years it never looked like they really were driving the project and that it just looked like the farmer sold some land to a few DIY guys.  I always thought it was a vision too far and with it not being a course it would flounder.  It was probably going to have to compete with The Dukes in terms of a local St Andrews inland course and it just never looked the part.   As I say will try and see if I can some local inside gossip on it.

There's also the GWest Club up by Gleneagles which is a strange one. Course finished and maintained but hardly played on. https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18342799.mystery-west-resort-scotlands-ghost-golf-course/

On 26/04/2020 at 19:50, hmfc_liam06 said:

Liam, 

Wee update

They are refunding 25% this year, and offering payment plans for next year.

Not quite the generous offer it first seemed., surprise surprise

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Liam, 

Wee update

They are refunding 25% this year, and offering payment plans for next year.

Not quite the generous offer it first seemed., surprise surprise

Yeah and turns out we haven't actually paid yet :lol:

25 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah and turns out we haven't actually paid yet :lol:

The whole set up is a shambles , needs cleared out from top to bottom.

Kinda reminds me of the SPFL board😂

Leaked report about new rules when golf resumes. Couple of standouts. 

Penalty for touching the flagstick. 

Players to play from different tees. 

Players to mark their own cards. 

Rakes to be removed. Preffered lies in bunkers may be allowed. 

2 balls only. 

Must pick up your own tee. Even if broken. 

hmfc_liam06

The idea of taking a photo of your scorecard and submitting it to the match secretary is a good idea. There's going to have to be contactless competitions, this is a good way around that.

Some of that goes a big too far.    No need for separate tee areas ffs.    That's nonsense.    Arrive ready to play?    Nut.   All my clubs and shoes are in my locker.    Most members' clubs are.   High sitting hole liners?   No.    Just do away with pins altogether.    

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Some of that goes a big too far.    No need for separate tee areas ffs.    That's nonsense.    Arrive ready to play?    Nut.   All my clubs and shoes are in my locker.    Most members' clubs are.   High sitting hole liners?   No.    Just do away with pins altogether.    

Can't see the issue with arriving ready to play. Folk have already been told to have your lockers emptied as locker rooms are out of bounds to golfers.

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Can't see the issue with arriving ready to play. Folk have already been told to have your lockers emptied as locker rooms are out of bounds to golfers.

When?    Our clubhouse has been closed since lockdown.     

We have hundreds of lockers and the majority of playing members have them.    I have two sets of irons in my locker.     I have tons of other clubs right enough but what's the problem about letting people be sensible and access the lockers?

hmfc_liam06
16 minutes ago, Victorian said:

When?    Our clubhouse has been closed since lockdown.     

Pre lockdown, there was a directive to close off areas such as locker rooms. Going by that document, this will still be the case once the courses have been re-opened.

Don't see what the problem is put your clubs in the car and getting yourself ready in the car park before heading to the first tee. Things won't just suddenly be returning to normal.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Pre lockdown, there was a directive to close off areas such as locker rooms. Going by that document, this will still be the case once the courses have been re-opened.

Don't see what the problem is put your clubs in the car and getting yourself ready in the car park before heading to the first tee. Things won't just suddenly be returning to normal.

Great for anyone who got a chance to get their clubs.   I have some old clubs but all my shoes are in the locker.    Other members will be the same.   What about people who don't drive?

I saw a similar set of proposals to this from Wales but that one mentioned that clubhouses would be open for toilets and wash basins.    I think it will be entirely possible to allow clubhouse access if sensible distancing is in place.

Killin's a cracking course.    Love that last hole.    Not so much the par 3 with the wall across the green.    

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

You know what...**** me, I'm thick. Not paying attention to what I'm writing as I'm preparing food. :lol:

My Dad is Captain of St. Fillan's. He was also Captain at Killin for two years as well. Incidentally, they are on their arse by all accounts. Loads of issues. A lot of bitchy infighting and cliques up there. The anti-St.Fillan's.

But I agree with you on the 9th, aye. I actually really like the wall hole though. :lol:

So yes, for clarity. It's St. Fillan's I'm on about. 👍🏻

:D  pity about Killin.    One of Scotland's little gem courses.    Not even my favourite 9 holer though.    Blairgowrie (wee) is the very best.

Just now, Barack said:

St. Fillan's has recently been awarded Scotland's Best 9 Hole Course. 👍🏻

Dad had a lovely all expenses paid night out at St. Andrew's recently for the award ceremony.

Hosted by David Tanner.😐

Haven't played it but I will now.    It would have to be good to rival Blairgowrie though.     

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Do away with pins? How the feck are you meant to know where the hole is when you're playing to the green? 

High sitting hole liners makes total sense rather than dipping your hand in a communal hole. 

As for your clubs, surely you can be allowed in to collect them and then take them home with you. 

Just now, Ray Gin said:

Do away with pins? How the feck are you meant to know where the hole is when you're playing to the green? 

High sitting hole liners makes total sense rather than dipping your hand in a communal hole. 

As for your clubs, surely you can be allowed in to collect them and then take them home with you. 

How much do you really need the pin?    In reality?    In normal times fair enough but the initial golf playing is just going to be social games.    Just aim for the centre of the green and if you find the centre you wont be far away.

No access to the club.   I'm sure it's not the only one.

11 minutes ago, Barack said:

Yeah, picturesque wee place. A player of your level, could tear it up in all honesty.

It looks the sort of course that players of most levels could go mad on.    Generally a course of short length usually contains other degrees of difficulty.   Maybe large or slopey greens or punitive rough in areas or other trickiness.    Blairgowrie is even shorter but it's par 3s all have difficulty.    3 of the par 4s are tight,  tricky dog-legs.    It can often have pacey greens with quite a few slopes in places.    

Edited by Victorian

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

How much do you really need the pin?    In reality?    In normal times fair enough but the initial golf playing is just going to be social games.    Just aim for the centre of the green and if you find the centre you wont be far away.

No access to the club.   I'm sure it's not the only one.

I would imagine your club would allow you limited access to get your clubs on the first occasion. 

Just now, Notts1874 said:

I would imagine your club would allow you limited access to get your clubs on the first occasion. 

Hope so.   I need the shoes more than the clubs.    Need my driver as well.    

11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Hope so.   I need the shoes more than the clubs.    Need my driver as well.    

The temporary measures will need to be strict to make sure they get government approval. 

Just now, Barack said:

If Vijay Singh, Nick & Sandy can play it...yeah, that's a fair assessment. Even I have managed some decent rounds on it. Suits me, as it's not too tight mostly. 

Of course.   A course of 5500 yard length comes in the domain of everyone.    If they're playing well,   get on a charge and hole putts then they'll score well.     These kind of courses are brilliant for adding enjoyment to the game.     

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

The best idea I have heard regarding pins is from a few clubs down south who've cut the in play hole 4 feet to the left of every pin. 

From the clubs I'm a member of, they issued an email advising of a window period to collect belongings from a locker. If any members couldn't make it, all they had to do was request a time and date to gain access to the club to gather things. 

The two tee thing seems unnecessary.