Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Interesting angle😄

I have to admit defeat on that particular subject 😂

I guess if you are no about you will not care, somebody else's problem😃

Just checked and our club is still using the finance option but it is changing the agreement you sign.  It now will say if you sign up for finance and sign the contract then you agree to pay the full amount due even if you resign part way through the twelve month period.

I wonder if this means that if you die during the year that the debit passes onto your spouse or is handled as part of the wind up of your estate.

Golf membership has never been so interesting😃

Edited by joondalupjambo

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

I guess if you are no about you will not care, somebody else's problem😃

Just checked and our club is still using the finance option but it is changing the agreement you sign.  It now will say if you sign up for finance and sign the contract then you agree to pay the full amount due even if you resign part way through the twelve month period.

I wonder if this means that if you die during the year that the debit passes onto your spouse or is handled as part of the wind up of your estate.

Golf membership has never been so interesting😃

I guess most golf clubs would write off the debt in that case, I am pretty sure a golf club would  not want to be associated with pursuing debt against a deceased member.

Guess the courses in heaven are all free to join and play anyway 😂

1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

Bit the bullet and paid my membership.

Well done mate, I am sure every penny will count when we resume.

Kinda what being a member of a golf club is all about, you are theoretically part owner of the club anyway.

Tommy Brown
7 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Fantastic gesture Tommy, spread the word and only the word, nothing else...:thumbsup:

.🤞

My payment plan was accepted

Samuel Camazzola

I imagine if the green staff are getting to carry out the work they are looking to do at present, a lot of course conditions will quickly benefit from not having any 'traffic' on them. 

Soft and worn areas will get a chance to recover and greens will start to take shape without plug marks and being trodden on. 👍 🏌️ 

Edited by Samuel Camazzola

Each club will do things to suit the manpower situation they have.    I'm not sure if it's possible or not to furlough some workers,   while keeping some working.    As a business,   a club is just as temporarily closed for business as a shop but,   unlike a shop or restaurant,   it can still have workers performing work on a daily basis and some of it will be essential to the club (maintaining greens).   

If a club can apply for some staff to be paid through the worker retention scheme then great,   but I'm not sure.    Regardless,   clubs will surely only perform whatever course work is absolutely necessary in order to keep the course ready for use at fairly short notice.     Fairways and rough will need to be managed rather than prepared for golf.    Just an occasional cut.

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

My payment plan was accepted

Hopefully other members will take your inspirational lead, well done.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

Shutting golf courses is ***king mental. 2 switched on mates arriving in separate cars, 10 minutes between other tee times with protruding cups, fresh air and exercise and as far away from the wife's throat as possible, what could possibly go wrong...?   :sneaky: Way OTT if you ask me. 

hmfc_liam06
12 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Shutting golf courses is ***king mental. 2 switched on mates arriving in separate cars, 10 minutes between other tee times with protruding cups, fresh air and exercise and as far away from the wife's throat as possible, what could possibly go wrong...?   :sneaky: Way OTT if you ask me. 

They are still going out and playing golf?? Shambles.

1 hour ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Agreed. If greenskeepers are still getting out I don't see why they can't at least limit it to one person per tee off slot. An outright closure seems unnecessary. Way less of a risk playing golf on your own, hundreds of yards away from the nearest player, than going to the shops. 

BIGGA have clarified what essential work is allowed to be carried out on golf courses during the lockdown.

Fairways and tees can be cut once a week, greens can be cut 3 times a week, rough can be cut once a fortnight. It's basically a ticking over.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, robbodog said:

BIGGA have clarified what essential work is allowed to be carried out on golf courses during the lockdown.

Fairways and tees can be cut once a week, greens can be cut 3 times a week, rough can be cut once a fortnight. It's basically a ticking over.

With no foot trafiic though the courses really should be in very good condition upon our return.

Samuel Camazzola
48 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

With no foot trafiic though the courses really should be in very good condition upon our return.

My thoughts too! 👍 

With green cutting three times a week, they could be rolled on the other days. 😉 

As long as there are no huge downpours to wash the sand away, replinished bunkers will be in good nick too. 

Edited by Samuel Camazzola

hmfc_liam06

Some fun to pass the time gents. Myself and two cousins spent some time doing this yesterday.

Name your dream 18 holes, from holes that you have played in Scotland.

The caveat is that the holes must correspond to the actual hole number. For example, your opening hole must be an actual opening hole and so on.

hmfc_liam06

Here was mine:

1 - Machrihanish - Par 4 - 414 yards

2 - Montrose - Par 4 - 386 yards

3 - Arbroath - Par 4 - 344 yards

4 - Carrick - Par 4 - 393 yards

5 - Gleneagles Kings - Par 3 - 177 yards

6 - Eyemouth - Par 3 - 166 yards

7 - Machrihanish - Par 4 - 425 yards

8 - Machrihanish Dunes - Par 5 - 620 yards

9 - Letham Grange - Par 5 - 517 yards

OUT - 36 - 3442 yards

10 - Roxburghe - Par 4 - 469 yards

11 - Dunaverty - Par 4 - 260 yards

12 - Boat of Garten - Par 4 - 348 yards

13 - Dalmahoy East - Par 4 - 440 yards

14 - Crail Balcomie - Par 3 - 147 yards

15 - Gleneagles Kings - Par 4 - 458 yards

16 - Ladybank - Par 4 - 353 yards

17 - Dundonald - Par 4 - 420 yards

18 - Leven - Par 4 - 448 yards

IN - 35 - 3343 yards

PAR - 71 - 6785 yards

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Samuel Camazzola
40 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Here was mine:

1 - Machrihanish - Par 4 - 414 yards

2 - Montrose - Par 4 - 386 yards

3 - Arbroath - Par 4 - 344 yards

4 - Carrick - Par 4 - 393 yards

5 - Gleneagles Kings - Par 3 - 177 yards

6 - Eyemouth - Par 3 - 166 yards

7 - Machrihanish - Par 4 - 425 yards

8 - Machrihanish Dunes - Par 5 - 620 yards

9 - Letham Grange - Par 5 - 517 yards

OUT - 36 - 3442 yards

10 - Roxburghe - Par 4 - 469 yards

11 - Dunaverty - Par 4 - 260 yards

12 - Boat of Garten - Par 4 - 348 yards

13 - Dalmahoy East - Par 4 - 440 yards

14 - Crail Balcomie - Par 3 - 147 yards

15 - Gleneagles Kings - Par 4 - 458 yards

16 - Ladybank - Par 4 - 353 yards

17 - Dundonald - Par 4 - 420 yards

18 - Leven - Par 4 - 448 yards

IN - 35 - 3343 yards

PAR - 71 - 6785 yards

Get yourself up to The Castle Course and that 17th will get changed swiftly. 😉 

:D

I would have a job trying to remember all the courses I've played for a start.    Many of them going back many years so the details lost in the mists of drink.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Get yourself up to The Castle Course and that 17th will get changed swiftly. 😉 

Yeah I've never played it. One of my cousins had it as his 17th though.

Thought the 17th at Dundonald was a cracker though, dogleg and some really strategic bunkering.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

:D

I would have a job trying to remember all the courses I've played for a start.    Many of them going back many years so the details lost in the mists of drink.

I've got a note of every course I've played...in order of favourite to least favourite :lol:

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've got a note of every course I've played...in order of favourite to least favourite :lol:

Pumpherston better not be at the bottom  🥵

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

Pumpherston better not be at the bottom  🥵

A Pumpherston hole nearly made my 18.

The par 3, the 13th?

Tommy Brown
4 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

A Pumpherston hole nearly made my 18.

The par 3, the 13th?

nice wee hole.

2nd is considered the signature hole, absolute card destroyer

16th built on top of the pond makes it easy to remember for vistors.

I'm a bit like Vic, memory is shot. i'll piece something together.

Not played enough top drawer courses.

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Tommy Brown said:

nice wee hole.

2nd is considered the signature hole, absolute card destroyer

16th built on top of the pond makes it easy to remember for vistors.

I'm a bit like Vic, memory is shot. i'll piece something together.

Not played enough top drawer courses.

Oh yeah, totally forgot about the 2nd, a really good 2nd shot hole.

The good thing about piecing together a best 18 is uncovering the wee gems that aren't at elite courses.

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

There's a million holes I've forgotten, some not in because others are better.

Nearly had all par 4s on back nine, swiched in a couple of 3's

1 Dunbar 5     10 Broomieknowe 4
2 Pumpherston 4     11 Murcar 4
3 Murcar 4     12 Elie 4
4 Shotts 4     13 Elie 4
5 Greenburn 4     14 Royal Musselburgh 3
6 Eyemouth 3     15 Murcar 4
7 Murcar 4     16 Braids 4
8 Kilspindie 3     17 Bathgate 3
9 Dunbar 5     18 Leven 4
    36         34

57 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

There's a million holes I've forgotten, some not in because others are better.

Nearly had all par 4s on back nine, swiched in a couple of 3's

1 Dunbar 5     10 Broomieknowe 4
2 Pumpherston 4     11 Murcar 4
3 Murcar 4     12 Elie 4
4 Shotts 4     13 Elie 4
5 Greenburn 4     14 Royal Musselburgh 3
6 Eyemouth 3     15 Murcar 4
7 Murcar 4     16 Braids 4
8 Kilspindie 3     17 Bathgate 3
9 Dunbar 5     18 Leven 4
    36         34

That 16th Green at Braids is a seethe fest for me. Ridiculous when it's dry and fast as **** in the summer.

Gently tapping a 3 footer for par about 10 feet past the hole and walking off with a bogey is a regular occurance. 

John mcCartney

Kilspindie`s 8th is a fabulous number Tommy lad.
Prob my fave in played golf holes.....
me being a joiner n all that,I absolutely love the woodwork alongside that particular stretch.
The only other hole I can think of with a bit of rivetment and abutment is me own gaffs 18th at Leven links.
Pete dye was massively influenced by that stuff,is there any other courses that have a bit timber on show on the course ?
Kittocks might have a bit iirc right enough....

Tommy Brown
7 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

Kilspindie`s 8th is a fabulous number Tommy lad.
Prob my fave in played golf holes.....
me being a joiner n all that,I absolutely love the woodwork alongside that particular stretch.
The only other hole I can think of with a bit of rivetment and abutment is me own gaffs 18th at Leven links.
Pete dye was massively influenced by that stuff,is there any other courses that have a bit timber on show on the course ?
Kittocks might have a bit iirc right enough....

Originally had Kittocks 17th, but swapped for a par 3

Braids 16th is an iconic hole and the green is a terror alright.    The whole back 9 is tremendous tbh.    Some superb driving holes at 10, 14, 15, 16.   What a tee shot at 17 as well.    It just seems to get more perilous as you go on.

On 26/03/2020 at 10:59, hmfc_liam06 said:

Great if you can afford it. I doubt many can.

I agree mate, was a welcomed surprise. Spare money will probably just go on beer.

Here is my effort its a lot tougher to do than you think , lots of good holes to consider.

1  Macrahanish 4
2  Pumpherston 4
3  Kingsbarns 5
4  Shiskine  3
5  Mortonhall 4
6  Castle Stuart 5
7   N Berwick West 4
8  Kilspindie 3
9  Ailsa 4
10  Rennaisance 4
11  Deer Park 4
12  Kingsbarns 12
13  Glen N Berwick 3
14  Winterfield 3
15  Stirling 4
16  Gleneagles PGA 5
17  St Andrews 4
18  Kingsbarns 4

Tommy Brown
33 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Here is my effort its a lot tougher to do than you think , lots of good holes to consider.

1  Macrahanish 4
2  Pumpherston 4
3  Kingsbarns 5
4  Shiskine  3
5  Mortonhall 4
6  Castle Stuart 5
7   N Berwick West 4
8  Kilspindie 3
9  Ailsa 4
10  Rennaisance 4
11  Deer Park 4
12  Kingsbarns 12
13  Glen N Berwick 3
14  Winterfield 3
15  Stirling 4
16  Gleneagles PGA 5
17  St Andrews 4
18  Kingsbarns 4

Feel honoured, that you Pumphy #2 in amongst that selection.

Only played 6 of your holes.

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

Feel honoured, that you Pumphy #2 in amongst that selection.

Only played 6 of your holes.

Ex - member mate  killed my round so many times it was the first on the list.

Tommy Brown
44 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Ex - member mate  killed my round so many times it was the first on the list.

:rofl:

Can you outdo a 13?

Was playing 2nd round championship. Took a 5i to be safe, shanked it into the bundai. Had a 10 :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

:rofl:

Can you outdo a 13?

Was playing 2nd round championship. Took a 5i to be safe, shanked it into the bundai. Had a 10 :facepalm:

Nah top effort !!!!  think 8 was the worst. regularly 5-6 though.

If i remember rightly when the hole first came into play the average score in the first medal  was something over 7.:cornette:

On 27/03/2020 at 18:39, Victorian said:

Braids 16th is an iconic hole and the green is a terror alright.    The whole back 9 is tremendous tbh.    Some superb driving holes at 10, 14, 15, 16.   What a tee shot at 17 as well.    It just seems to get more perilous as you go on.

14 is a cracker down the hill with the big rock face on the right and dogleg round to the left.

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

14 is a cracker down the hill with the big rock face on the right and dogleg round to the left.

Yep.  8, 14 & 16 are the best.    8 & 14 you're just hitting into nothing.    You know where you're hitting to but have no reference.    Plus you know that any kind of bum hit will be lost.    16 you just have to ignore the whins on the right and thread the needle.    13 is perilous if you can even reach the trouble on the right.    So many hazardous greens on the back 9.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Yep.  8, 14 & 16 are the best.    8 & 14 you're just hitting into nothing.    You know where you're hitting to but have no reference.    Plus you know that any kind of bum hit will be lost.    16 you just have to ignore the whins on the right and thread the needle.    13 is perilous if you can even reach the trouble on the right.    So many hazardous greens on the back 9.

Used to play regularly in the Dispatch Trophy at the Braids. The back nine is superb for match play, so many holes where you can get into trouble and holes could won with 5's and 6's.

2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Used to play regularly in the Dispatch Trophy at the Braids. The back nine is superb for match play, so many holes where you can get into trouble and holes could won with 5's and 6's.

Yes I've been lucky to play in it a couple of times.   It's a superb event involving some of the best amateur players in the Lothians but also ordinary club players.    It's nice to have been a part of a historic competition played in by the very best over years.    The history of it makes it a special experience.    Literally hundreds of matches have turned on their head over the closing holes.

11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yes I've been lucky to play in it a couple of times.   It's a superb event involving some of the best amateur players in the Lothians but also ordinary club players.    It's nice to have been a part of a historic competition played in by the very best over years.    The history of it makes it a special experience.    Literally hundreds of matches have turned on their head over the closing holes.

I was lucky to be in a winning team  nearly 20 years ago now (where has the time gone).

Have you seen the trophy? Unbelievable solid silver apparently worth £250,000.

It shows that a short course can still be superb under the right conditions, and with the right layout.

I do miss playing in it, one of the best weeks of the season.

2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

I was lucky to be in a winning team  nearly 20 years ago now (where has the time gone).

Have you seen the trophy? Unbelievable solid silver apparently worth £250,000.

It shows that a short course can still be superb under the right conditions, and with the right layout.

I do miss playing in it, one of the best weeks of the season.

Very good.  That's a tremendous thing to have in your golf story.    Brilliant.

Yes I've seen it close up a few times.    Quite a trophy.     More of a piece of furniture really.     

Yeah the course yardages are meaningless.    There can't be many courses of such short length that can prove as hazardous.    A pretty unique course.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Very good.  That's a tremendous thing to have in your golf story.    Brilliant.

Yes I've seen it close up a few times.    Quite a trophy.     More of a piece of furniture really.     

Yeah the course yardages are meaningless.    There can't be many courses of such short length that can prove as hazardous.    A pretty unique course.

Yep , its one I am particularly proud of.

The course has stood the test of time, sign of a quality layout. Unique is a very good description.

Your right about the trophy we had to contact our insurers so that we could have it in the clubhouse overnight😂

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Not played any golf for around 10 years now due to health reasons. However, did manage to play in the Dispatch a couple of times for one of the clubs within a club. I'm sure you will remember a few of the lads from my old club Silverknowes Merrymac during your Dispatch playing days. I still enjoy watching the yearly competition when its being played, albeit not this year : ( 

2 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

Not played any golf for around 10 years now due to health reasons. However, did manage to play in the Dispatch a couple of times for one of the clubs within a club. I'm sure you will remember a few of the lads from my old club Silverknowes Merrymac during your Dispatch playing days. I still enjoy watching the yearly competition when its being played, albeit not this year : ( 

Hi Jambo,

Keith Reilly, and  a guy Robertson (sorry cant remember his first name, also I think Tam Caldwell played for Silverknowes?

1 minute ago, merrymac said:

Hi Jambo,

Keith Reilly, and  a guy Robertson (sorry cant remember his first name, also I think Tam Caldwell played for Silverknowes?

Yes, Graham Robertson is his name...Iain Doig and Ian Randall being another two of the older stalwarts. 

4 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Yes, Graham Robertson is his name...Iain Doig and Ian Randall being another two of the older stalwarts. 

Yep Graham , sorry   -Ian D I know of as well.

I am an even older stalwart:(

Edited by merrymac

Just now, merrymac said:

Yep Graham , sorry   -Ian I know of as well.

I am an even older stalwart:(

Likewise 😁.... most of them are aged around 50 with the exception of Ian Randall.

Stevie Hunter and Kenny Cooper are another two names that spring to mind who were also Dispatch winners if my memory serves me right?

1 minute ago, Jambo314 said:

Likewise 😁.... most of them are aged around 50 with the exception of Ian Randall.

Stevie Hunter and Kenny Cooper are another two names that spring to mind who were also Dispatch winners if my memory serves me right?

I used to play with the SSGS (Scottish Seniors Golfing Society) and I think Keith joined about 4 years ago so that would be right (age 50+)

3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

I used to play with the SSGS (Scottish Seniors Golfing Society) and I think Keith joined about 4 years ago so that would be right (age 50+)

Yes, all I can remember is him being quite a few years younger than me 😄 nice lad, as I'm sure you will agree, apart from being a hibby😁

Edited by Jambo314