Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

John mcCartney
3 hours ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Received an email from our club captain sayin if we play alone or one other, our course will stay open as long as possible. Obviously the holes have been risen, no rakes, no ball washers etc etc. 

aaaaaaaaand what golf club is this chief,care to divulge ?

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

aaaaaaaaand what golf club is this chief,care to divulge ?

Here maybe

hmfc_liam06

Yep good news regarding green keepers allowed to work, if one positive to come out of it it's that the courses should be in tip top shape once we're out of this.

Read an article on how catastrophic it could be if courses were left abandoned for the spring, we'd basically be looking at writing off the greens for the year.

Samuel Camazzola
19 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yep good news regarding green keepers allowed to work, if one positive to come out of it it's that the courses should be in tip top shape once we're out of this.

Read an article on how catastrophic it could be if courses were left abandoned for the spring, we'd basically be looking at writing off the greens for the year.

Head of Golf England was on Sky last week saying if greens were left untouched for three weeks, they could take up to three months to get back to normal. 

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Head of Golf England was on Sky last week saying if greens were left untouched for three weeks, they could take up to three months to get back to normal. 

Yep, would be a write off. There could be inches of growth and you can only cut 1/3 off at a time, can't just go out and cut greens back to normal. Plus there's then the thatching, growth of disease and other things. They'd then need cored, top dressed etc.

Disaster basically.

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yep, would be a write off. There could be inches of growth and you can only cut 1/3 off at a time, can't just go out and cut greens back to normal. Plus there's then the thatching, growth of disease and other things. They'd then need cored, top dressed etc.

Disaster basically.

I imagine there will have been plenty courses out of sight from the public eye which would have been getting essential maintenance carried out even if the clarity wasn't there. 

Edited by Samuel Camazzola

Samuel Camazzola

If anyone enjoyed The Cut podcast before the BBC bizarrely decided to pull it, Andrew Cotter has launched a new podcast with Eddie Pepperell - The Pepper Pod - which is very good. It can be found on all the usual places including Spotify. 

I didn't realise that Eddie has bought a place in Edinburgh and spends a lot of time in Scotland now. 

John mcCartney
11 hours ago, merrymac said:

Here maybe

by this time next week,the Fair Isle course could be rather desirable !!!!

Tommy Brown
23 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

I normally play by myself, nae mates :(.

Not good, mate.

An invite to Pumpherston awaits.

Hopefully this season,🙃

3 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

by this time next week,the Fair Isle course could be rather desirable !!!!

Yep could be set for big queues at the first tee - two metres apart of course:whistling:

I'm resigned to no golf until the autumn.   It might be temp greens for a wee mini-season and then surviving clubs can prepare for next season.    God knows if clubs will survive.    Member numbers for next season will probably take a battering for various reasons.

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

I'm resigned to no golf until the autumn.   It might be temp greens for a wee mini-season and then surviving clubs can prepare for next season.    God knows if clubs will survive.    Member numbers for next season will probably take a battering for various reasons.

Aye, your right, a bad winter unfortunately claims numerous seniors.

3 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Aye, your right, a bad winter unfortunately claims numerous seniors.

:)

Harry Potter
4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Not good, mate.

An invite to Pumpherston awaits.

Hopefully this season,🙃

Thankyou Tommy.:).

1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

Undecided still. I’d be renewing to keep my handicap by the looks of things. 

Too late for me paid early :ermm:

The only consideration might be if a lot of clubs go to the wall, there may be pressure on those left for memberships?

24 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Too late for me paid early :ermm:

The only consideration might be if a lot of clubs go to the wall, there may be pressure on those left for memberships?

Do you mean pressure on punters looking for an alternative or pressure on surviving golf clubs?

1 minute ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Do you mean pressure on punters looking for an alternative or pressure on surviving golf clubs?

Both really.

Might be lots of golfers and few golf clubs.

9 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Both really.

Might be lots of golfers and few golf clubs.

Last I heard, only 5 clubs in East Lothian with a waiting list. If clubs do go under, their unfortunate members still willing to maintain a membership could transfer to a stronger surviving club that has also seen their membership decimated. 

6 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Last I heard, only 5 clubs in East Lothian with a waiting list. If clubs do go under, their unfortunate members still willing to maintain a membership could transfer to a stronger surviving club that has also seen their membership decimated. 

Agreed but these stronger clubs will have a limit on the number of new members they can accommodate.

Sincerely hope it wont happen but demand could  exceed supply for a period on resumption depending on the scale of disruption.

Edited by merrymac

1 minute ago, merrymac said:

Agreed but these stronger clubs will have a limit on the number of new members they can accommodate.

Sincerely hope it wont happen but demand could  exceed supply for a period on resumption depending on the scale of disruption.

The opposite could happen to the supply and demand, who knows?

9 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

The opposite could happen to the supply and demand, who knows?

Absolutely people might not return after a lengthy break and the demand could go through the floor.

Not an easy time to be a Club Committee

Membership numbers was already a problem before this.    In Edinburgh,  some clubs got a small boost after Torphin and Lothianburn went and members relocated.    It was already a school of thought that Edinburgh and Lothians clubs would benefit from another couple going.     I think it's almost certain now.     Most clubs have outsourced their bar and catering to franchise holders so there might be little loss in terms of that but they do tend to rely on visitor golf fees and clubhouse event hire.

10 hours ago, Victorian said:

Membership numbers was already a problem before this.    In Edinburgh,  some clubs got a small boost after Torphin and Lothianburn went and members relocated.    It was already a school of thought that Edinburgh and Lothians clubs would benefit from another couple going.     I think it's almost certain now.     Most clubs have outsourced their bar and catering to franchise holders so there might be little loss in terms of that but they do tend to rely on visitor golf fees and clubhouse event hire.

Our annual membership subs are determined/reduced greatly by visitor green fees. Our huge VAT return (visitor green fees/travel agents) from HMRC over the last 10 years has contributed immensely to our current club house extension and renovation programme.

hmfc_liam06
11 hours ago, Victorian said:

Our renewals happen between Feb and March so it's a shocker for us. Although I can see where some folk are coming from re not renewing until they know what's happening it really doesn't help the clubs in their hour of need. Sadly, these actions mean they may not have a club to go back to once this is over.

9 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Our renewals happen between Feb and March so it's a shocker for us. Although I can see where some folk are coming from re not renewing until they know what's happening it really doesn't help the clubs in their hour of need. Sadly, these actions mean they may not have a club to go back to once this is over.

Maybe clubs should look at a monthly DD, instead of one big annual payment.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

The issue then is folk will just cancel them.

Even if you use a 3rd party finance company, if someone cancels it's then the club who are liable to the finance company.

Tommy Brown
14 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Very much, I'm going to offer £110 per month over next six months.

Would hate to think the club folding and me being partly to blame.

16 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Mine already does. 

Tommy Brown
13 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Even if you use a 3rd party finance company, if someone cancels it's then the club who are liable to the finance company.

Not convinced, Liam

we use Fairway Credit?? and default lies with them to recover. I'm sure I'm correct.

Tommy Brown
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Mine already does. 

we do standing order, but you are in advance.

So you have your full subs in the club account for start of the season.

Other than that you use Fairway Credit with interest.

hmfc_liam06
41 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Not convinced, Liam

we use Fairway Credit?? and default lies with them to recover. I'm sure I'm correct.

Nope, if someone cancels their DD at the bank, Fairway Credit will chase the club for the money. I looked into this earlier on in the year for our club. One of our members is also a member at another club and they had 2 members cancel, Fairway Credit then took the money back from the club and they are now left chasing the ex-members through small claims court.

The power is always with the 3rd party. They pay the club the money upfront, they certainly aren't taking a hit or going to the hassle of chasing/court action if someone defaults.

54 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm sure the vulnerable clubs would welcome the initial uptake of DD payments, thus enhancing confidence. If individuals financial commitments change going forward, then the club may have a few payments banked, which they wouldn't have if they stick with one lump sum.

40 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Very much, I'm going to offer £110 per month over next six months.

Would hate to think the club folding and me being partly to blame.

Fantastic gesture Tommy, spread the word and only the word, nothing else...:thumbsup:

39 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Mine already does. 

Maybe one day at mine...🤞

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Old Blue Eyes said:

I'm sure the vulnerable clubs would welcome the initial uptake of DD payments, thus enhancing confidence. If individuals financial commitments change going forward, then the club may have a few payments banked, which they wouldn't have if they stick with one lump sum.

Yeah we do offer payment schemes, we just don't use a 3rd party due to liabilities 👍

Tommy Brown
46 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Nope, if someone cancels their DD at the bank, Fairway Credit will chase the club for the money. I looked into this earlier on in the year for our club. One of our members is also a member at another club and they had 2 members cancel, Fairway Credit then took the money back from the club and they are now left chasing the ex-members through small claims court.

The power is always with the 3rd party. They pay the club the money upfront, they certainly aren't taking a hit or going to the hassle of chasing/court action if someone defaults.

Thanks for correcting me. Certainly not what I believed was the script.

I received an email saying my April DD Payment has already been processed so will be taken but all future D’s  will not be taken till a month after the course has opened again due to them taking April and we can’t play. Anyone who has paid for the year will have the number of months the course is shut removed from their fees for next year. Was very surprised by this, but a great gesture by the club.

hmfc_liam06
12 minutes ago, SectionG said:

I received an email saying my April DD Payment has already been processed so will be taken but all future D’s  will not be taken till a month after the course has opened again due to them taking April and we can’t play. Anyone who has paid for the year will have the number of months the course is shut removed from their fees for next year. Was very surprised by this, but a great gesture by the club.

Great if you can afford it. I doubt many can.

hmfc_liam06
21 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Thanks for correcting me. Certainly not what I believed was the script.

No problem. It was discussed at length at our AGM in January with us opting not to use a 3rd party purely because of liabilities.

Tommy Brown
17 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

No problem. It was discussed at length at our AGM in January with us opting not to use a 3rd party purely because of liabilities.

Ive been on their site looking for t&c, but their link isnt working.

Getting ratty to be honest. I fail to see the benefit in using them. I think you get commission.

I would rather let people pay in full directly over a 6month max period.

I'm making enquiries. 

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Getting ratty to be honest. I fail to see the benefit in using them. I think you get commission.

I'm making enquiries. 

If you unearth info then pass it on, I may be totally wrong but our club captain as well as a few other members have spoken to them before and all said the same thing.

Tommy Brown
14 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

If you unearth info then pass it on, I may be totally wrong but our club captain as well as a few other members have spoken to them before and all said the same thing.

Nah your correct  text ex captain

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I'm making enquiries. 

Tommy,

The main benefit for the Club is that they receive all monies upfront (usually at the start of the season) when costs are at their highest,and the member gets the benefit of paying over 10 months at a reasonable interest rate.

Drawback for the club is they are responsible for any defaulters, which usually is a fairly small number, therefore making it worth the risk.

Has been operating for many years at lots of clubs (including mine), and presume pretty successfully as it is still popular.

Tommy Brown
1 minute ago, merrymac said:

Tommy,

The main benefit for the Club is that they receive all monies upfront (usually at the start of the season) when costs are at their highest,and the member gets the benefit of paying over 10 months at a reasonable interest rate.

Drawback for the club is they are responsible for any defaulters, which usually is a fairly small number, therefore making it worth the risk.

Has been operating for many years at lots of clubs (including mine), and presume pretty successfully as it is still popular.

If I remember, I think they pay up full monies May.

"Start of the season when costs are at their highest" - not disputing, but why?

Greenstaff are always there over the year, bar turnover is at it's highest early then tails off.

I imagine a large % pay in full by bank transfer/credit card (I generally have), so most money is already up front at the start.

Not looking for an argument. not been to the last couple of agm's.

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

If I remember, I think they pay up full monies May.

"Start of the season when costs are at their highest" - not disputing, but why?

Greenstaff are always there over the year, bar turnover is at it's highest early then tails off.

I imagine a large % pay in full by bank transfer/credit card (I generally have), so most money is already up front at the start.

Not looking for an argument. not been to the last couple of agm's.

No worries Tommy,

Basically high costs over winter - increased heating lighting etc

Also most feeding, coring  seeding happens early in season.(might include hiring in machinery)

Fewer visitors over winter period means that a big cash injection is usually required, around March/April

I am Ex Captain/committee member at my club and this was very much the issue most years

Fairway credit allows the club to receive a lump sum, usually followed by a second payment around July I think)

Might not work for every club, but a lot do use it.

joondalupjambo
59 minutes ago, merrymac said:

When you say defaulters what happens when folk die?  Our club's average age is about 100 and each winter about 10 drop off the edge.  Are the club liable under this type of scheme for these types of "defaulters" or are deaths treated differently by the finance company?

No idea but was just thinking about it.

Edited by joondalupjambo

Tommy Brown
1 minute ago, joondalupjambo said:

When you say defaultets what happens when folk die?  Our club's average age is about 100 and each winter about 10 drop off the edge.  Are the club liable under this type of scheme for these types of "defaultets" or are deaths treated differently by the finance company?

A charming use of dialogue  :lol:

22 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

When you say defaulters what happens when folk die?  Our club's average age is about 100 and each winter about 10 drop off the edge.  Are the club liable under this type of scheme for these types of "defaulters" or are deaths treated differently by the finance company?

Interesting angle😄

I have to admit defeat on that particular subject 😂

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Nah your correct  text ex captain

Cheers, I thought so :thumbsup:

There's also the initial set up cost to factor in as well.

Re deaths, I'd imagine that may be a totally different scenario.

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Irufushi said:

Bit the bullet and paid my membership.

I'm sure the club will appreciate the £££.