Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

19 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Booooo! he never fell on his arse. 1 minute 26 seconds is a very very long PSR.

Apart from the time taken, does the PSR or actual swing really matter if the clubhead returns square to the ball? He flushed that!

Eamon Darcy in his day & presently Jim Furyk look like orangutans falling out a tree.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Disser Pointon
On 21/01/2020 at 21:48, ando said:

Bilyana  golf were great to deal with and take your own clubs

We always book with Biliyana, going again in May.

Anyone seen Rick Shiels review on the Callaway Edge clubs? As someone who enjoys playing but not good enough to be forking out mega bucks for better clubs thinking about giving them a go, only £480 for 10 piece set. Don't need the driver but irons and putter are better than my current ones.

19 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Anyone seen Rick Shiels review on the Callaway Edge clubs? As someone who enjoys playing but not good enough to be forking out mega bucks for better clubs thinking about giving them a go, only £480 for 10 piece set. Don't need the driver but irons and putter are better than my current ones.

Always try them before you buy them.

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

If your profile name is reflective of your ability, invest in a block of lessons. 😄

3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

If your profile name is reflective of your ability, invest in a block of lessons. 😄

It unfortunately a name that me and my mates all call each other at some point during a round 😂

Samuel Camazzola
11 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

It unfortunately a name that me and my mates all call each other at some point during a round 😂

It could be worse. Start worrying when they call you Mr Shanks. 

Watching Tiger at the Farmers Insurance Open, he's in great shape, his game looks as good as anything in his peak years. Can see him winning a major or two this year. 

Disser Pointon

My putting is killing my game, just can't commit and get it to the hole. Have had 38, 39, 38 points in my last 3 games but should have been in the 40's easy, not going to get my handicap down without sorting it. 

13 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Watching Tiger at the Farmers Insurance Open, he's in great shape, his game looks as good as anything in his peak years. Can see him winning a major or two this year. 

Hope not.

Carl Weathers

I started taking golf lessons late last year and have now had 7 in total. I try to get to the range at least once a week. 

I'm still really shite!!

I can't generate much distance at all. For example, today I was hitting a 8 and 9 around 75 yards average (a few marginally longer). I picked up a 2nd hand Ping driver as well and was  trying that out (Ive not covered using that club in lessons yet) and was getting 150 yards absolute best. Most shots were fading out to the right, although some were straight. 

I'm struggling a bit at the moment with a sore left hip and left shoulder. I expect that is hindering my swing and it is very frustrating, however I believe it's my technique that is letting me down.

I'm mainly focusing on trying to catch the ball well and get a straight shot. I am prone to hitting the ball with an open club face causing my shots to go right. 

I'd love to get more distance on my shots. Any tips? I have another lesson next week and honesty expect to be needing another 8 -12 over the few months. 

1 hour ago, Carl Weathers said:

I started taking golf lessons late last year and have now had 7 in total. I try to get to the range at least once a week. 

I'm still really shite!!

I can't generate much distance at all. For example, today I was hitting a 8 and 9 around 75 yards average (a few marginally longer). I picked up a 2nd hand Ping driver as well and was  trying that out (Ive not covered using that club in lessons yet) and was getting 150 yards absolute best. Most shots were fading out to the right, although some were straight. 

I'm struggling a bit at the moment with a sore left hip and left shoulder. I expect that is hindering my swing and it is very frustrating, however I believe it's my technique that is letting me down.

I'm mainly focusing on trying to catch the ball well and get a straight shot. I am prone to hitting the ball with an open club face causing my shots to go right. 

I'd love to get more distance on my shots. Any tips? I have another lesson next week and honesty expect to be needing another 8 -12 over the few months. 

How many candles you burning mate?

After 7 lessons you should have the basics, G A S P!...grip, alignment, stance and posture, if not dump the coach.

If you can get your head round what makes the ball fade/slice, it's a big bonus. Inside to square back to inside, if you're taking the club back too much on the outside, there is only one route the club will take on the way down and that is from outside to in, cutting across the ball, hence the ball spinning clockwise (fade/slice). Be conscious of taking the club back slightly on the inside, it'll feel hellish initially but stick with it, good luck.

You can weigh me in later and everyone else who finds this useful.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

Carl Weathers
6 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

After 7 lessons you should have the basics, G A S P!...grip, alignment, stance and posture, if not dump the coach.

If you can get your head round what makes the ball fade/slice, it's a big bonus. Inside to square back to inside, if you're taking the club back too much on the outside, there is only one route the club will take on the way down and that is from outside to in, cutting across the ball, hence the ball spinning clockwise (fade/slice). Be conscious of taking the club back slightly on the inside, it'll feel hellish initially but stick with it, good luck.

Thanks for the feedback although I have to admit it's a bit advanced for me at the moment! I think the coach is pretty good. I just need to improve and get practicing more. 

Any tips to get more distance- or is it impossible to say without seeing me play?

25 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Any tips to get more distance- or is it impossible to say without seeing me play?

Pretty much. Are you striking the ball cleanly or hitting fat/thin connections?

31 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Thanks for the feedback although I have to admit it's a bit advanced for me at the moment! I think the coach is pretty good. I just need to improve and get practicing more. 

Get yourself on Video - from the back and sides.. have a a few shots to look at.  Then compare yourself to the pros - see how different your swing is - try and think about it.   If you want, put it on You-Tube and we'll all watch it as well and offer advice. (might be terrible advice, no promises!) 

But I find when I struggle, I make sure I watch myself, I recently noticed that I was dipping into my shots and this was due to me delaying my hip turn.  this meant I had to move to get my hands through the ball.   Defo worth it. 

Carl Weathers
17 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Pretty much. Are you striking the ball cleanly or hitting fat/thin connections?

Sometimes the strike is clean and other times it's not as good. Inconsistent I guess.

Everybody Loves Baz!

6 shanks today today to the point I nearly walked off.

nearly hit my playing partner standing 90 degrees right of me.

Playing off winter mats doesn't help mind, but I literally had the fear approaching the ball.

Smashed every drive too which makes it worse. Not looking forward to next at all if I can't fix this.

Any advice?

29 minutes ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Playing off winter mats doesn't help mind, but I literally had the fear approaching the ball.

Smashed every drive too which makes it worse. Not looking forward to next at all if I can't fix this.

Any advice?

Try and deliberately strike the ball with the toe of the club. Make sure you're keeping your arms tight in against your chest and aren't throwing them outwards on the downswing. 

4 hours ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Any advice?

Stand 2 inches further away from the ball at set up - 

19 hours ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Any advice?

A great wee drill is to stick 2 tees down, one at the heel of the club and another at the toe, leaving just enough space so you don't hit them. Then put a ball down and start hitting. I found it useful when I had a bad dose, got me really focusing on getting the ball out of the centre of the club.

I know it's bad practice but when playing, I tend to line my ball up toe side of centre which helps. I'll take a toe shot over a shank any day :lol:

20 hours ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Any advice?

Probably led to you pushing at the ball.

Swing as hard as you can but under control, and remember to turn through the ball.

Mats wont help tbf like playing with the ball above your feet all the time, I hate them, so glad my place doesnt have them.

On 26/01/2020 at 11:18, Carl Weathers said:

I'm still really shite!!

On 26/01/2020 at 12:12, Old Blue Eyes said:

What OBE say's .... the below video is worth watching and taking some notes! :)

If I was to start golf from scratch again I'd only putt until I could 3 putt at worst from any distance.  I'd then work on short bump and runs with a 7 iron, taking the club not even beyond the knees, I'd then go to an 8 iron with the same shot, then 9.  When doing this I'd hit 1000's of balls!  Ideally in a back garden or something, or even in a hall with foam balls.

I know it might sound OTT or complex, but understanding something as little as OBE says could catch a bad habit early on - the take away being an example that I'd work on in the above wee drills.   Good luck!!

anyone use Dalmahoy driving range? closest one to my work since moving into town from Linlithgow I wont be using Kingfield.

how many bays does it have and is it busy around 5pm and 7 ?

6 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

anyone use Dalmahoy driving range? closest one to my work since moving into town from Linlithgow I wont be using Kingfield.

how many bays does it have and is it busy around 5pm and 7 ?

Yep. Probably around 12 bays. Usually get one no bother. 

9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yep. Probably around 12 bays. Usually get one no bother. 

Going to start using it by time I go and hit a few balls I will miss the traffic on way home. also 5 mins up from work.

I've no played in months itching to get back out .

• 2 weeks later...

Costco's balls have finally arrived in Edinburgh!

Meant to be good and work out about £1 each

Have bought a couple of dozen but it's not exactly the best weather for testing just now!

IMG_5740.jpg

Edited by Serge

The Mighty Thor
4 hours ago, Serge said:

Have bought a couple of dozen but it's not exactly the best weather for testing just now!

IMG_5740.jpg

It's not the same ball that everyone was raving about they brought out over 2 years ago. 

I've heard it's basically a Srixon Z star knock off.

Be interesting to see how you get on with it 👍

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Serge said:

IMG_5740.jpg

Vice have been good balls in my experience. They are only sold directly and shipped from Germany (unless you source an eBay reseller). Their pricing model is structured so the more you buy, the cheaper they become. 

Occasionally, they do a promo including, buy 5 dozen and get a 6th free. Price comes down to £1.79 a ball for their premium ones. If you go halves with someone, approx £55 for 3 dozen is pretty good. 

On 09/02/2020 at 09:04, Tommy Brown said:

341074-TaylorMade-V3-Soft-4.jpg?sw=255 341074-TaylorMade-V3-Soft-1.jpg?sw=255

i bought these for £15 a box from American Golf.

Looks to me as if they have rebranded it. £22.50

341065-TaylorMade-V3-Urethane-1.jpg?sw=2  341065-TaylorMade-V3-Urethane-3.jpg?sw=2

Cant find these bad boys in my new home, dunno where they are.

Got them as a gift when getting the Todays Golfer magazine, 34 pounds worth.

71sqQ8Dy3UL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

16 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Cant find these bad boys in my new home, dunno where they are.

Got them as a gift when getting the Todays Golfer magazine, 34 pounds worth.

71sqQ8Dy3UL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Put a couple of white stakes out, and you will probably find them just on the other side.

Thats what happens to me anyway😞

I feel like I haven't played golf in ages... Been chipping in the house with plastic balls and a net every day but its not the same! 

Also - been watching too many you-tube vids about golf technique... I really want to get out and hit a driver watching my ball placement (i might have it too far back in my stance) and weight distribution.. 

Also - At what point should I be turning my hips ... At impact?  Before Impact?  Way before impact.....   

Stupid weather

52 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Put a couple of white stakes out, and you will probably find them just on the other side.

Thats what happens to me anyway😞

Brilliant :lol:.

2 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

I feel like I haven't played golf in ages... Been chipping in the house with plastic balls and a net every day but its not the same! 

Also - been watching too many you-tube vids about golf technique... I really want to get out and hit a driver watching my ball placement (i might have it too far back in my stance) and weight distribution.. 

Also - At what point should I be turning my hips ... At impact?  Before Impact?  Way before impact.....   

Stupid weather

Hips - first move on downswing everything else follows.

I should know i struggle with the process, same advice every time I go for a lesson !

8 hours ago, merrymac said:

Hips - first move on downswing everything else follows.

I should know i struggle with the process, same advice every time I go for a lesson !

Twadugs, I knew it, you can't take a tellin :P

On 09/02/2020 at 09:04, Tommy Brown said:

341074-TaylorMade-V3-Soft-4.jpg?sw=255 341074-TaylorMade-V3-Soft-1.jpg?sw=255

i bought these for £15 a box from American Golf.

Looks to me as if they have rebranded it. £22.50

341065-TaylorMade-V3-Urethane-1.jpg?sw=2  341065-TaylorMade-V3-Urethane-3.jpg?sw=2

They're different balls and it's all about the cover material.

Urethane is the cover material for the top balls like ProV1's. This can help get a lot of spin from your wedges.

Soft balls usually have an ionomer cover which gives less control round the greens.

Big difference in price point for a fancy cover though as they are essentially the same ball inside.

30 minutes ago, Serge said:

They're different balls and it's all about the cover material.

Urethane is the cover material for the top balls like ProV1's. This can help get a lot of spin from your wedges.

Soft balls usually have an ionomer cover which gives less control round the greens.

Big difference in price point for a fancy cover though as they are essentially the same ball inside.

I'm assuming when you say soft balls, you are referring to compression and not the softness of the cover composition? 

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

Both the Taylor Made are compression 70, Pro-v1 are 100

My ones are Ionomer covers rather than Eurethane..

Difference between these polymers, buggered if I know

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Both the Taylor Made are compression 70, Pro-v1 are 100

My ones are Ionomer covers rather than Eurethane..

Difference between these polymers, buggered if I know

High compression/soft cover balls most suited to faster swing speeds yes? Not good for golfers who impart too much spin slice/hook. Finding fairways with straight tee shots is key, lower compression, harder outer cover should assist this. Mate of mine with a stagnant 21 handicap, loads of money, bought nothing but Pro V's because they are a premium cool ball. His short game was good, it had to be because of the fairways missed. Switched to Srixon AD333 tours 3 years ago and now plays of 15, more fairways are still being found and the handicap keeps on tumbling. 

A wee tip for beginners, find a middle market golf ball that offers less spin with enhanced length, the ball will go straighter to your targets with less need for close green-side control because more often you'll already be on the green. Don't mix and match balls either, once you've found your favourite with all trade-off's considered, constantly play the same ball, buy 12/24. 

This weather is pish Tommy, two weekends on the stot! :seething:

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

15 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

High compression/soft cover balls most suited to faster swing speeds yes? Not good for golfers who impart too much spin slice/hook. Finding fairways with straight tee shots is key, lower compression, harder outer cover should assist this. Mate of mine with a stagnant 21 handicap, loads of money, bought nothing but Pro V's because they are a premium cool ball. His short game was good, it had to be because of the fairways missed. Switched to Srixon AD333 tours 3 years ago and now plays of 15, more fairways are still being found and the handicap keeps on tumbling. 

A wee tip for beginners, find a middle market golf ball that offers less spin with enhanced length, the ball will go straighter to your targets with less need for close green-side control because more often you'll already be on the green. Don't mix and match balls either, once you've found your favourite with all trade-off's considered, constantly play the same ball, buy 12/24. 

Played Uphall last week, just windy.

Course was dry enough.

Pumphy too wet. 

Nothing this weekend, to hell with that

12 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Twadugs, I knew it, you can't take a tellin :P

Deid Frankie,

Only from big blondes!!

50 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Think you should buy more than a weeks worth FB 🤣

Edited by merrymac

On 14/02/2020 at 11:18, Bigsmak said:

Stupid weather

So went to the practice ground for about 90 minutes today before the weather got back.  Mush have hit 100 drives and clearing over 250 into the wind with practice balls.  Swing thoughts were;

Light hands (i grip too tight) 

Shallow and slow take away on a long plane - 

Hip turn as soon as possible to lead the swing through 

Seems to work and was enjoying the consistency of it.  I also had quite a consistent landing area for my big pink girly tees which was nice to get as they have been known to go anywhere.  Hopefully I can take it onto the course whenever that will happen. 

I then hit some chip and run 7 irons to a 50 yard target. Followed by some greenside chipping with 9, PW and 56 degree making sure I mixed up the landing areas and pins I was aiming for.  

I really enjoyed it, no idea why I always find it a struggle to go to the range, especially as its part of the club and the balls are free to hit.  

So - in conclusion, I really want to go play golf when the weather is better! 

5 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

So went to the practice ground for about 90 minutes today before the weather got back.  Mush have hit 100 drives and clearing over 250 into the wind with practice balls.  Swing thoughts were;

Light hands (i grip too tight) 

Shallow and slow take away on a long plane - 

Hip turn as soon as possible to lead the swing through 

Seems to work and was enjoying the consistency of it.  I also had quite a consistent landing area for my big pink girly tees which was nice to get as they have been known to go anywhere.  Hopefully I can take it onto the course whenever that will happen. 

I then hit some chip and run 7 irons to a 50 yard target. Followed by some greenside chipping with 9, PW and 56 degree making sure I mixed up the landing areas and pins I was aiming for.  

I really enjoyed it, no idea why I always find it a struggle to go to the range, especially as its part of the club and the balls are free to hit.  

So - in conclusion, I really want to go play golf when the weather is better! 

Glad the tip helped 👍