Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

John mcCartney

Sounds ab superb that,nice one.
I was the only punter on the Old course at Musselburgh.7 holes and offski for meal at Portobello Road.
Irons off 4 tees,3 with driver.Round in level par,playing well at the moment.The little links is in great condition too

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TheStig said:

Anyone able to tell me the dress code for glen corse, can't see info on the website? Jeans ok?

Below is in the booking terms and conditions page.

Dress Code
==========
The following are not acceptable forms of attire: faded and distressed denims; football or rugby -shorts, tops or boots, collarless shirts, cargo shorts, tee shirts with slogans or artwork. All shirts must be tucked in.

1 minute ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Below is in the booking terms and conditions page.

Dress Code
==========
The following are not acceptable forms of attire: faded and distressed denims; football or rugby -shorts, tops or boots, collarless shirts, cargo shorts, tee shirts with slogans or artwork. All shirts must be tucked in.

Thanks

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Is this a recent photo? Just going by the denims it looks like 1992

Kriss Kross will make you jump! 😄 

What a laugh this sport is.

100% fairways yesterday, driver absolutely pinging.

Fast forward 24 hours and almost every drive flushed straight left.

Top banter.

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

What a laugh this sport is.

100% fairways yesterday, driver absolutely pinging.

Fast forward 24 hours and almost every drive flushed straight left.

Top banter.

I had a 75 last year. My best round in ****ing years. 
I had a 91 the following day.

The latter was in a medal.  

Edited by Dino Velvet

1 hour ago, Dino Velvet said:

I had a 75 last year. My best round in ****ing years. 
I had a 91 the following day.

The latter was in a medal.  

It's infuriating how it can change so much in the space of a day :lol:

When Pumphy was a 9-holer par 33.

In the Club championship qualifier, I was out in 50 and returned in 33 (double bogeyed the last)

It still gets brought up to me  yet, 30 years on.

I also had a 43 & 35, playing off 14. I had a 12 at the par 3 8th. :lol:

9 hours ago, Irufushi said:

****ing hell :lol: 

It was ridiculous. I was actually playing pretty well (by my standards) tee-to-green, but what could easily have been around an 80-82 became a 92 all because of horrific putting.

3 putted 9 times. 4 putted once. Missed 3 putts from under 2 feet. Think I'll start looking at new putters as my confidence is shot to pieces with my current one.

Edited by Ray Gin

Samuel Camazzola
7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It was ridiculous. I was actually playing pretty well (by my standards) tee-to-green, but what could easily have been around an 80-82 became a 92 all because of horrific putting.

3 putted 9 times. 4 putted once. Missed 3 putts from under 2 feet. Think I'll start looking at new putters as my confidence is shot to pieces with my current one.

A wee technique worth trying for your short putts from within three feet is to play the stroke using the toe of your putter. Depending on your model of putter, the majority of flat sticks have heel and toe weighting in the head. Playing from the toe would give a 'dull' strike and hopefully eliminate any push, pull or fiery strokes. 

55 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

A wee technique worth trying for your short putts from within three feet is to play the stroke using the toe of your putter. Depending on your model of putter, the majority of flat sticks have heel and toe weighting in the head. Playing from the toe would give a 'dull' strike and hopefully eliminate any push, pull or fiery strokes. 

Interesting, will give it a shot, cheers.

Edited by Ray Gin

Harry Potter
On 04/01/2020 at 23:45, Armageddon said:

Is this a recent photo? Just going by the denims it looks like 1992

Least the jeans dont have turn ups.

Disser Pointon

Looks like tomorrow is going to be a washout. On a more positive note I've just secured a round on the Old Course for 10 March, so can tick that off my bucket list. Also playing Royal Aberdeen and Dundonald in March so it can't come quick enough. 

9 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Looks like tomorrow is going to be a washout. On a more positive note I've just secured a round on the Old Course for 10 March, so can tick that off my bucket list. Also playing Royal Aberdeen and Dundonald in March so it can't come quick enough. 

Hope you get the weather to enjoy them. 👍

10 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Sounds like a great month! Dundonald may be pretty wet, I played it early November and it was soaking then, given it's not really what I'd consider true links so I'd imagine it wont have recovered much.

Samuel Camazzola
14 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

I have The Castle Course around the same time. 

Old Course, New Course, Jubilee and Eden in the diary for June. 👍 

Really looking forward to playing. Sawgrass, Pebble Beach, Royal Melbourne, Valderrama, Wentworth, Magdalene Fields, Oh! and Augusta National.

I'm expecting 21 degrees in my living room when I get my PS4 back from repair.

What is everyone's aims for the coming season?

In my 3 years playing competitively I've managed to decrease my handicap each year by 3 shots on average. If that keeps up I'll be down to 12 however I'm setting a soft target of 13.

Course wise I'm looking to add Trump International, Dumbarnie and Blairgowrie to my list of top courses played. I'd also love to get up north for a weekend of golf.

48 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

In my 3 years playing competitively I've managed to decrease my handicap each year by 3 shots on average. If that keeps up I'll be down to 12 however I'm setting a soft target of 13.

Course wise I'm looking to add Trump International, Dumbarnie and Blairgowrie to my list of top courses played. I'd also love to get up north for a weekend of golf.

That's steady progress mate. Well done 👍

Start beating the course again, getting competitive in stroke play comps regularly again and getting back down to the lower end of 1. After a couple years of having a mental block of actually scoring well I feel I'm getting back to it. 

Turkey in April and a little tour around some links courses Moray firth areas on the cards later in the year. 

John mcCartney

Theres ole Pete Dye passed away,a massively impressive bunch of courses that he and his wife,Alice,designed and constructed over the years.All inspired by their visits to the links over here in Jockoland,pot bunkers,false fronts,timber rivetting(leven links-harbour town),undulating fairways,angled layouts etc.
His autobiog,`Bury me in a pot bunker`,is worth a read too.

Pete Dye,Alice Dye r.i.p
Alice passed last year.
https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/golf-course-architect-pete-dye-obituary-94

Are any of the Kickback golfers involved at a committee or finance level with their golf clubs? If so, I'd love to pick your brains!

It's our AGM this week and one of a number of things I'm pulling them up on is the lack of payment options for members. It's driving folk away as less people want to be stumping up a lump sum and would rather spread the cost.

If anyone could offer any assistance or any info in implementing a DD, drop me a DM 👍

17 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Are any of the Kickback golfers involved at a committee or finance level with their golf clubs? If so, I'd love to pick your brains!

It's our AGM this week and one of a number of things I'm pulling them up on is the lack of payment options for members. It's driving folk away as less people want to be stumping up a lump sum and would rather spread the cost.

If anyone could offer any assistance or any info in implementing a DD, drop me a DM 👍

I was speaking to a member of a club down south who said that they had a scheme whereby you could put money on your card which went towards your fees.

Basically when you put money on card you could state whether it was for bar credit or towards subs.If you put it towards subs it could not be withdrawn or used towards bar credits and had to be used as part of yearly fees.

Said quite a few people used that method and club were happy as they were getting cash in throughout year.

Dont know how easy it would be to set up

Samuel Camazzola
20 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm surprised at this. Is the lack of payment options purely down to laziness from the committees that have stood before? Every club I have been with in the past 20+ years has offered different payment methods. 

On 11/01/2020 at 13:19, hmfc_liam06 said:

The game of golf is so good when you are progressing like the stats above, well done.

Aims for 2020, try and justify the finacial outlay for new driver, not hitting it consistenly yet, may get better when we get off these f*****g mat SS.

When and only in Spain, stop hitting the golf ball with the hosel. So frustrating finding numerous fairways, then 3rd & 4th shots are from trees, water or bunkers (probably alcohol related)

Reach the championship final, losing the semi-final last year on eighteen sucked.

20 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm surprised at this. Is the lack of payment options purely down to laziness from the committees that have stood before? Every club I have been with in the past 20+ years has offered different payment methods. 

It's staggering mate, the club is stuck in the last century. Every other club local to me, including yours at Balbirnie offer straight up direct debit. 

Folk want a subscription model, they dont want to be forking out hundreds of pounds at a time.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's staggering mate, the club is stuck in the last century. Every other club local to me, including yours at Balbirnie offer straight up direct debit. 

Folk want a subscription model, they dont want to be forking out hundreds of pounds at a time.

Don't quote this as being 100% correct but I'm sure How Did I Do facilitates some sort of payment management scheme. 

On 10/01/2020 at 17:41, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sounds like a great month! Dundonald may be pretty wet, I played it early November and it was soaking then, given it's not really what I'd consider true links so I'd imagine it wont have recovered much.

I played Dundonald on the 19th December and it was in stunning condition. Not a puddle to be seen not even a dirty ball. Greens were outstanding. 

Royal Aberdeen is good, bit of a boring finsh aprt from 16 I think it is a Par 3. 15, 17 and especially 18 are boring.

8 minutes ago, bebeto said:

I played Dundonald on the 19th December and it was in stunning condition. Not a puddle to be seen not even a dirty ball. Greens were outstanding. 

Royal Aberdeen is good, bit of a boring finsh aprt from 16 I think it is a Par 3. 15, 17 and especially 18 are boring.

Nice one, it was really wet too but must recover quick.

58 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Don't quote this as being 100% correct but I'm sure How Did I Do facilitates some sort of payment management scheme. 

BRS do it. I'm looking into them tomorrow, hopefully have a call with them.

5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Nice one, it was really wet too but must recover quick.

BRS do it. I'm looking into them tomorrow, hopefully have a call with them.

Bear in mind BRS are effectively going to be defunct when the new SGU system goes live

10 hours ago, bebeto said:

Bear in mind BRS are effectively going to be defunct when the new SGU system goes live

They are owned by Golf Now, they may not be getting much business in Scotland but I don't think they'll be going out of business.

5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

They are owned by Golf Now, they may not be getting much business in Scotland but I don't think they'll be going out of business.

Correct however, the SGU system will take over booking tee times, it wont talk to 3rd party providers for access to handicap so in effect it will be useless up here. The SGU are creating a monopoly they cant provide. Its an absolute shambles 

So, booked 10 nights in Turkey at the start of April, it's meant to be a family holiday so didn't want to be tied to playing 4 rounds when there, but now I want to get a couple of games in with one being the Maxx Royal.  Anybody know the best route to book golf for over there?  Anybody got any advice?  Should I take the clubs or just hire over there?

Cheers!

5 hours ago, Armageddon said:

So, booked 10 nights in Turkey at the start of April, it's meant to be a family holiday so didn't want to be tied to playing 4 rounds when there, but now I want to get a couple of games in with one being the Maxx Royal.  Anybody know the best route to book golf for over there?  Anybody got any advice?  Should I take the clubs or just hire over there?

Cheers!

Hopefully you get a couple of good responses as I'm headed to Lara Beach in May and was going to play a round too, given there's like 10+ courses right next door. Don't think I'll bother about taking my clubs for the sake of 1 round though.

Disser Pointon
On 11/01/2020 at 19:15, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm on the board of directors at our place. 

1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

Played Kilspindie on Saturday - played every shot off a mat, even tee shots!  Stunning coastline, we really are lucky.

:Shoosh:

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

Played Kilspindie on Saturday - played every shot off a mat, even tee shots!  Stunning coastline, we really are lucky.

That must have made putting awkward.

On 14/01/2020 at 10:22, Armageddon said:

Cheers!

Bilyana  golf were great to deal with and take your own clubs