Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

I had a lesson at St Andrews a couple of weeks back, I play off 6.8 but always feel like I swing it terribly, my short game papers over the cracks of a terrible long game.

Three things to work on and I have hit hundreds of balls these last 2 weeks trying to make it feel natural.

1 - Poor balance.  I was 80% on my toes and standing on the balance mat was eye opening to say the least, this meant I was standing up on the back swing and on the downswing it was all about luck as to where I returned to at impact.

2 - Poor take away.  When I took the club away it was like I was driving a car and turning the wheel to the right, rolling the hand and shoulders open on the inside.  Now when I take away I try to feel as if I'm turning the steering wheel to the left.

3 - Position at impact.  My weight wasn't fully on my left side, I was holding back due to poor hip rotation (from poor balance and take away)

I've honestly hit 100's of full wedges and my ball striking is now night and day, feels terrible with a drover in the hand, but I'm confident it will get there.

£70 for the hour, but this is the best I've ever felt and I could really understand what he was telling me.  I've been to David Burns before in Linlithgow and this was night and day above hie default of hitting a draw.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Really struggled to get beyond 300 yards...

I think you'll join me in this RG... :rofl:

:lol: Only the top 50 players on the PGA Tour average over 300 yards. 

On 09/09/2019 at 16:21, Ray Gin said:

One of my mates has taken golf back up this year and been playing a lot recently. He has taken to proudly claiming over whatsapp to have shot some brilliant scores (considering he's just been playing a few months) whenever playing on his own.

I'm off 17 and still haven't shot better than 85 at our course. He claims he shot an 88, 87 and 83 last week. Any time he plays with anyone else he's around 100+. He shot 105 when he played with me and another friend yesterday, I was an 89. He seemingly shot an 88 today though on his own again. :lol: 

Either the biggest bottler ever with an audience, or telling porkies. Anyone else know someone like this?

16 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Played for the first time in over 2 years today, after falling completely out of love with game. 

The round was up and down, as should be expected, as never even hit golf ball prior. 

I forgot how tough the the game was.

Driving the ball felt really weird. Which used to be my strength, really struggled to get beyond 300yards. Though I did win me a prize for long drive. 

I normally draw the ball and rarely managed to bring it back all day. Just really struggled to get the hands moving through the ball as result felt was just concentrating on making sure in play which wasn’t all that easy. Though started and finished with the same ball, albeit spotter helped a couple of times. 

Iron work outside of 100yards was very decent considering time away. However, inside 100 yards was a joke either a mile too long or just absolutely fluffed it because got the fear and decelerated. It got stage where purposely leaving longer shots into greens.

My putting was good ,a few putts apart, that just completely misjudged pace or line and once putted off green from a monster putt with stupid pin position. However, didn’t leave many out there and don’t think missed anything inside 10ft and sunk a very nice 30ft on final hole to scramble a par. 

Can’t say I ever felt in the zone or the swing was there, other than mid to long irons. There was a lot more scrambling than I expected. Whilst forgot how strange playing a course never played before was, not knowing lines or greens is a pain.

Broke 80, hit some very good shots and at no point did I get frustrated at myself or the game of golf in general;  which was probably the biggest achievement of day!. So way more positives than negatives.

Not sure it would make me rush out or want to play again. I do fear the frustrations would return quickly with regular play. Easy to put bad shots down to rustiness as opposed to just being shit, if don’t play much!

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

:lol: Only the top 50 players on the PGA Tour average over 300 yards. 

Only drives it over 300+ yards when playing on his own :)  220 yards when with his mates!!!

We had a mate who was always claiming over 300y drives, we ended up playing at Barassie in Ayrshire .... WOW, he was 250 max and all over the place.  People don't hit the ball as far as they think, down hill and wind behind don't count!

My son tracked a drive at 322 yards 3 months after his 11th birthday, Gleneagles Queens Course, I think it's the 12th, he hits a half decent ball but it bounces miles in the air and catches the huge down slope the argument has always been "that doesn't count pal" v his "but how did it get there? By me hitting it there"

I've hit 327 (according to my app) before on a mega-dry day on the 6th at Carricknowe. Caught it sweet as **** but it was definitely running a good 20 yards more than usual on the hard ground. 

Most are in the 240-270 range. I do get the odd one around the 300 mark but it's definitely a cause for celebration rather than an expectation. :D 

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

I had a lesson at St Andrews a couple of weeks back, I play off 6.8 but always feel like I swing it terribly, my short game papers over the cracks of a terrible long game.

Three things to work on and I have hit hundreds of balls these last 2 weeks trying to make it feel natural.

1 - Poor balance.  I was 80% on my toes and standing on the balance mat was eye opening to say the least, this meant I was standing up on the back swing and on the downswing it was all about luck as to where I returned to at impact.

2 - Poor take away.  When I took the club away it was like I was driving a car and turning the wheel to the right, rolling the hand and shoulders open on the inside.  Now when I take away I try to feel as if I'm turning the steering wheel to the left.

3 - Position at impact.  My weight wasn't fully on my left side, I was holding back due to poor hip rotation (from poor balance and take away)

I've honestly hit 100's of full wedges and my ball striking is now night and day, feels terrible with a drover in the hand, but I'm confident it will get there.

£70 for the hour, but this is the best I've ever felt and I could really understand what he was telling me.  I've been to David Burns before in Linlithgow and this was night and day above hie default of hitting a draw.

Sounds good.    Getting a few basics of that description sorted out is likely to be beneficial.      Lessons are great in these circumstances when there's fundamental stance and set-up things needing ironed out.     Sounds like the sort of fixes that will pay dividends.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Sounds good.    Getting a few basics of that description sorted out is likely to be beneficial.      Lessons are great in these circumstances when there's fundamental stance and set-up things needing ironed out.     Sounds like the sort of fixes that will pay dividends.

I was really chuffed ... then i realised - Balance, take away, impact ... bar the grip and ball position it's really everything! Haha I was gutted at that point.

1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

I was really chuffed ... then i realised - Balance, take away, impact ... bar the grip and ball position it's really everything! Haha I was gutted at that point.

There's all the stuff that players can easily get right themselves,   if they happen to notice a flaw or someone else does.   Stance,  allignment of feet,  hips and shoulders,   posture,   weight distribution and transfer,   swing tempo,   clubhead address.    Even the grip is something that a player can experiment with.     There's not an awful lot that remains the sole preserve of the pricey teaching pro.

54 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I've hit 327 (according to my app) before on a mega-dry day on the 6th at Carricknowe. Caught it sweet as **** but it was definitely running a good 20 yards more than usual on the hard ground. 

Most are in the 240-270 range. I do get the odd one around the 300 mark but it's definitely a cause for celebration rather than an expectation. :D 

My average is 228 yards. A system like Game Golf is ideal for knowing your distances, it also eliminates those mega long drives and duffers so you know it's a true reflection.

My longest was 316 at Lundin Links last summer. Right at the height of that dry spell and a 20mph wind behind. My longest "true" drive (benign conditions on a flat hole) is 272 yards but those are rare. I usually bank on 220-230.

300 a good old dig. I get it out there around 280. Last summer I had a few 330 ones around Forres in dry downwind conditions. Strolling down the fairway like vince McMahon so I was 😂

1 hour ago, Old Hearts said:

A high 'fairways hit' percentage is far more meaningful to me than hitting the odd drive 300+ yards.

Not necessarily.    Depends on the severity of the missed fairways.    Lying well in the semi... ok.     Dobbed it in the boonies... bad.

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Irufushi said:

300 a good old dig. I get it out there around 280. Last summer I had a few 330 ones around Forres in dry downwind conditions. Strolling down the fairway like vince McMahon so I was 😂

I've had that strut a few times. Often followed by resembling a Hibbee leaving Hampden on 19th May once I've taken 3 (or 4) from inside 50 yards! 

I have stretched one out beyond 400 yards before. Those who played the 14th at Lothianburn will know all about it. 😄

17 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I've had that strut a few times. Often followed by resembling a Hibbee leaving Hampden on 19th May once I've taken 3 (or 4) from inside 50 yards! 

I have stretched one out beyond 400 yards before. Those who played the 14th at Lothianburn will know all about it. 😄

:D   Think you might have had a hand from gravity there.      

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Not necessarily.    Depends on the severity of the missed fairways.    Lying well in the semi... ok.     Dobbed it in the boonies... bad.

Yes, but you can't always rely on the ball reacting well from the semi-rough. 

Played in the Elie open last month.

Young playing partner off 5.

He eventually took driver at 8 and hit an awesome 330 yarder.

Same again at 12. Incredible sight.

Put it in the clubhouse grounds at 18 :lol:

20 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

Yes, but you can't always rely on the ball reacting well from the semi-rough. 

Indeedy.     Nothing can be taken for granted.     Sometimes a fluffy lie can hinder control on an approach but other times it can be very helpful.    Some fairways can feature a gathering zone where lots of drives come to rest,   resulting in a concentration of divots.    Hitting the fairway itself can be a bit Russian Roulette on these kind of holes.    

Samuel Camazzola

:D   Think you might have had a hand from gravity there.      

Just shame it doesn't exist anymore. I don't know if that part of the land is used for quad biking etc or just a grazing patch for sheep now. 

2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Just shame it doesn't exist anymore. I don't know if that part of the land is used for quad biking etc or just a grazing patch for sheep now. 

I think the Swanston club took over a couple of holes over that side.    The 14th bordered Hillend on the south side.  I had heard about some kind of adventure centre being involved or similar use.     

Lothianburn had a great finishing stretch from the 14th - in.      It was a bit of a trek to get round to the 10th and then 11 - 13 was a further trudge.    14 in was the best bit.

Samuel Camazzola

Swanston acquired 3 & 4.

15 was a great hole. The delayed reveal to see if your drive hit the right line to each the green. 

18 from the medal tee was a test. 

16 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Swanston acquired 3 & 4.

15 was a great hole. The delayed reveal to see if your drive hit the right line to each the green. 

I liked Torphin.    3rd,  4th were a bit silly but it was a nice course once you got to the top.    What a joke that 3rd hole was though.   :rofl:

Samuel Camazzola

I liked Torphin.    3rd,  4th were a bit silly but it was a nice course once you got to the top.    What a joke that 3rd hole was though.   :rofl:

Was 3rd the one with a mesh fence up the left? If so, it was a bizarre set up abd I recall the 4th going up the hill. 

When I was at Lothianburn, the membership gave you courtesy of Torphin. As you say, a nice layout up the top. 

11 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Was 3rd the one with a mesh fence up the left? If so, it was a bizarre set up abd I recall the 4th going up the hill. 

When I was at Lothianburn, the membership gave you courtesy of Torphin. As you say, a nice layout up the top. 

Yep.  Elevated tee down to and over a burn.   Small,  narrow 'fairway' landing area.   Up a cliff face covered with tufty grass-liks vegetation.   Green about 40 yards on from the top of the cliff.     Dump your bag and climbing gear to the rhs of the green and go snd putt out.    Climbing gear back oot for the 4th.

Torphin, Panoramic views once up top. Played it one evening on a beautiful night. 

They used to have an Open on an Edinburgh holiday Monday. Victoria Day. The wind was gale force. Mental :lol:.

Seen a player, hole in one at first. His playing partner put his in a bunker. We were all confused at what was going on. He couldn't find his ball. The wind had blown the sand completely over it.

two thing I hadn't seen till then, both together.

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Some round times today at the Solheim cup. 

3 hours 11 mins for 9 holes!

That needs sorting right out. 

one group over 6 hours for the round.

They put two players on the clock on around the sixteenth:rofl:No action taken:rofl:

They will ruin this as a spectacle, TV audiences wont watch for that long. The matches were quite exciting, but everyone had probably lost the will to live.

Another medal,  another great chance of a cut slips.    Standard 2 doubles including having a full meaty shank off the tee at a par3 which luckily finished in play.      This was after getting a lottery win birdie from off the green.       Holed a few good putts after that for a tidy score.

40+37=77-7=70

Europe win the Solheim cup. Planned to watch none of it, been glued all day. Excellent drama and come back having looked out of the running at times today.

Samuel Camazzola
6 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Europe win the Solheim cup. Planned to watch none of it, been glued all day. Excellent drama and come back having looked out of the running at times today.

A lot of high quality golf. Great to see holes being played with clubs/yardages that the average club player can relate to - albeit with the accuracy and finesse of a pro player.

Amazing spectacle and can only get bigger. 

I read on Bunkered, Rory's way to deal with the slow play problem....

Drum roll.......

“If you want to speed up play, cut the field sizes,” he said. “I'm in a privileged position that I can say that because I'm going to get into a field of 30 or 70. Obviously, guys that are not quite in my position would disagree with that.

On 13/09/2019 at 20:13, Samuel Camazzola said:

Swanston acquired 3 & 4.

Lothianburn was amazing. I was a member from 13 years old grew up on that course. It shut for good when I was in my thirties. Sad times. 

I used to know that if I could go out in 40 or better a good score was on the cards. If you played well on the back 9 you could easily come back in 3 or 4 under. You could also lose / hit balls OB by attacking too much. Great risk and reward last 9. 

Edited by spirt of 98

Samuel Camazzola
12 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Lothianburn was amazing. I was a member from 13 years old grew up on that course. It shut for good when I was in my thirties. Sad times. 

I used to know that if I could go out in 40 or better a good score was on the cards. If you played well on the back 9 you could easily come back in 3 or 4 under. You could also lose / hit balls OB by attacking too much. Great risk and reward last 9. 

Superb course with greens that were second to none. 

I was a member for a couple of years up to when it closed. Kurt was a really good pro too. 

Home, pissed at myself. 35 points at Burntisland. 38 leading. Double bogeyed from the edge of the green at 15. Doubled the last for good measure.

Course had its ****ing legs wide open.

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

BMW PGA Championship, 7 major winners in the top 11, wonderful stuff!

An albatross on 18 for Ross Fisher too. He gained an £130k motor for the achievement. 

Managed a wee .2 cut at the weekend. 74 gross , css was 74. Had one silly double bogey but apart from that was very solid. Holed some testing par putts to keep the score going. 

After 5 buffers on thr trot (ie 5 bottle crashes on the trot) a 0.5 cut yesterday.

Tried my best to **** it up with 3 doubles and a triple (bogeys not nips!)

Greenburn Open on saturday, started birdie, birdie and ballsed it.

Two birdies yesterday helped.

I'm probably done now for the season, competitive golf that is, will still be playing thru the winter.

17.3 to 15.2. Reasonably happy at that but it really could have been better but for some inconsistent play April to June.

16 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm probably done now for the season, competitive golf that is, will still be playing thru the winter.

17.3 to 15.2. Reasonably happy at that but it really could have been better but for some inconsistent play April to June.

It's a good reduction still.   Over 10% is more than reasonable.    Follow it up with another reduction next season is the main thing.

I don't have much left.  One,  maybe two,  medals.   Away outing.   Home bounce match.    0.1 addition overall.   Probably just one more chance to be in profit for the year.   Any cut will do it.

4 hours ago, Victorian said:

It's a good reduction still.   Over 10% is more than reasonable.    Follow it up with another reduction next season is the main thing.

I don't have much left.  One,  maybe two,  medals.   Away outing.   Home bounce match.    0.1 addition overall.   Probably just one more chance to be in profit for the year.   Any cut will do it.

Yeah I mean I'm happy I just felt it could have been more. So many rounds during that spell ruined by 1 or 2 horror holes a round and coming away with buffer.

On 13/09/2019 at 20:13, Samuel Camazzola said:

Swanston acquired 3 & 4.

My usual team won a fourball for here last weekend...

The one event I miss!

:seething:

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Edit: quoted the wrong post, meant to be the Dumbarnie post.

Might need to contact them to see if they can accommodate a freebie for next year's Longest Day Challenge. 

Anyone ever heard the likes before...

Ordered an item from our pro that turned out unsuitable. He messages me today saying I'll have to spend the amount on something else :lol:

I won't miss him tomorrow that's for sure!

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Anyone ever heard the likes before...

Ordered an item from our pro that turned out unsuitable. He messages me today saying I'll have to spend the amount on something else :lol:

I won't miss him tomorrow that's for sure!

Chancing it.   Tell him to read the sale of goods act.   Whatever it is he'll probably be able to return it to his supplier.