• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola
34 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Watching the Porsche European Open from Hamburg, the 16th hole is 663 yards long, is there any longer holes

on other courses.

The European Challenge Tour (the 2nd tier tour) had a course last month which was not far off 800 yards. It's a par 6.

It's in Slovakia. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfmagic.com/golf-news/meet-783-yard-par-6-hole-challenge-tour-week%3famp

Closer to home, the 18th at Trump International is over 650 yards from the back tees. 

Edited by Samuel Camazzola
Update

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The European Challenge Tour (the 2nd tier tour) had a course last month which was not far off 800 yards. It's a par 6.

It's in Slovakia. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfmagic.com/golf-news/meet-783-yard-par-6-hole-challenge-tour-week%3famp

Closer to home, the 18th at Trump International is over 650 yards from the back tees. 

par 6, lol. never knew you could get them.

Samuel Camazzola
57 minutes ago, larbertjambo said:

Seen this beast in a golf magazine a while back.

No chance of me taking that on.😨

hole.png

I think I read about that too. Japan or Korea I think. 

Aye Korea. Rich mans game out there. 

Was there through job many years ago. Loads of driving ranges but few courses. 

Par 7. Mental. 

Spey valley has a par 5 that’s around 640 I think. All down hill . Horrible drive as you don’t see much of the fairway when on the tee. 

Edited by Irufushi

Competition tomorrow.    Hoping to set up a score by having a halfway reasonable first 6 holes for a change.     +3 would be more than acceptable because the remaining 12 can be traversed in around the same,   often better.      I would take +4 and aim to finish about +4 or +5.     It's definitely 50% mental and 50% stupidity.     The key is to get an early birdie to offset making a shops of another hole.

Prepare to read about a +1 first 6 and then the other 12 in +10.    :)

Last 4 medals 72 holes.    

Front 9.  +29 (8/6/5/10)

Back 9.  +6 (1/-1/2/4)

10 doubles in the 72 holes.   Despicable enough but 9 of them on the front 9.    Howling.    

Flawless round from Robert MaCintyre (65) in the European Open, dare I say we may be witnessing the beginning of a prosperous golf journey, keep it going son.

1 hour ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Flawless round from Robert MaCintyre (65) in the European Open, dare I say we may be witnessing the beginning of a prosperous golf journey, keep it going son.

There's been a few great new hopes for Scottish golf over the past decade but nobody has managed to stick around.     We'll get a Rory or Justin eventually.

Started with the NAP double but steadied the ship and got out in +4 which maybe could have been better.   Robbed of 2 birdies with a double in between to start the back 9.    Bagged a couple of birdies later to end up with 3 in total.    2 doubles isn't bad these days.

39+37=76-7=69.     But could have been a right good cut.

On 04/09/2019 at 09:57, hmfc_liam06 said:

Anyone playing the Pumpherston scramble this weekend?

Enjoy today, Liam.

Course is looking decent and will not play easier than this weekend.

Actually had preferred lies yesterday. Short game and putting let me down again. Buffer.

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Enjoy today, Liam.

Course is looking decent and will not play easier than this weekend.

Actually had preferred lies yesterday. Short game and putting let me down again. Buffer.

Its was good, course was in really good condition.

We hit a 61, less 3.6. Probably a few shots off winning.

Samuel Camazzola

For those who've played Trump International, what's the best green fee that can be obtained (excluding those who've had freebies 🙂). 

Is it the Scottish resident rate or can a better fee be found with group bookings? 

29 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

For those who've played Trump International, what's the best green fee that can be obtained (excluding those who've had freebies 🙂). 

Is it the Scottish resident rate or can a better fee be found with group bookings? 

Like most of these overpriced courses the cheapest way is to play it in a competition . I believe they have a couple of opens and they used to have a Texas scramble open around October time, dunno if they still do. 

Samuel Camazzola
53 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Like most of these overpriced courses the cheapest way is to play it in a competition . I believe they have a couple of opens and they used to have a Texas scramble open around October time, dunno if they still do. 

Cheers. Will see what comps are scheduled and what the fees are. £160 a head for a resident rate is a tad high. 

Seen an itison deal from Oct for £120. Weekdays though. Me and missus played it late Nov last year friday afternoon and saturday morning with night in the hotel. Glrious weather but freezing.She got a deal through some luxury hotel site. Cost a fair bit for lost balls too.😡

18 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

We played it twice in one weekend for £180 in April, £26 Premier Inn for the Saturday night and it was perfect!

Luckily my mate is now a member, going up to see Liam Gallagher on the 14th November and playing golf on Friday 15th - the summer sign on rate is £50 so expecting the winter rate to be less than that.

I found a cheap way to play big courses is to search eBay, some folk win vouchers then try and shift them.  I bought 4 vouchers for the PGA at Gleneagles, the guy selling worked for Johnny Walker, the dates I needed the vouchers for and they never arrived in time, he phoned Gleneagles and sorted it and we had a great day, 2 weeks later the original vouchers arrives in the post and we played it again! :)

Meant to say before... the new 3 minute ball search rule doesn't half give you the fear when you get up to where your ball is and you haven't found it after an initial stomp up and down.   Had a search on Saturday and it must have been a couple of minutes.      Playing partner found it sitting down a bit.     The anxiety was rising fast though.

One of my mates has taken golf back up this year and been playing a lot recently. He has taken to proudly claiming over whatsapp to have shot some brilliant scores (considering he's just been playing a few months) whenever playing on his own.

I'm off 17 and still haven't shot better than 85 at our course. He claims he shot an 88, 87 and 83 last week. Any time he plays with anyone else he's around 100+. He shot 105 when he played with me and another friend yesterday, I was an 89. He seemingly shot an 88 today though on his own again. :lol: 

Either the biggest bottler ever with an audience, or telling porkies. Anyone else know someone like this?

Samuel Camazzola
54 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

One of my mates has taken golf back up this year and been playing a lot recently. He has taken to proudly claiming over whatsapp to have shot some brilliant scores (considering he's just been playing a few months) whenever playing on his own.

I'm off 17 and still haven't shot better than 85 at our course. He claims he shot an 88, 87 and 83 last week. Any time he plays with anyone else he's around 100+. He shot 105 when he played with me and another friend yesterday, I was an 89. He seemingly shot an 88 today though on his own again. :lol: 

Either the biggest bottler ever with an audience, or telling porkies. Anyone else know someone like this?

Sounds like he may be taking a few mulligans and gimmes! 😄 

Samuel Camazzola

-

8 hours ago, Armageddon said:

We played it twice in one weekend for £180 in April, £26 Premier Inn for the Saturday night and it was perfect!

Luckily my mate is now a member, going up to see Liam Gallagher on the 14th November and playing golf on Friday 15th - the summer sign on rate is £50 so expecting the winter rate to be less than that.

I found a cheap way to play big courses is to search eBay, some folk win vouchers then try and shift them.  I bought 4 vouchers for the PGA at Gleneagles, the guy selling worked for Johnny Walker, the dates I needed the vouchers for and they never arrived in time, he phoned Gleneagles and sorted it and we had a great day, 2 weeks later the original vouchers arrives in the post and we played it again! :)

Cheers! Very useful to know. Will take a look as it's a course I'd like to play. 

3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Yep, sounds like my mate!

In his defence though, I do find I play better on my own. Probably more to do with being more relaxed and slowing things down etc. Not 20 shots different mind you :lol:

Completely new to this thread (and golf), so apologies if this has been covered before.

I want to learn how to play golf. I have just been out to a range a couple of times where I got some pointers from a mate. I have also got a pretty old set of clubs off my grandad to start learning with. Are lessons the best way to go? I live near Duddingson and thinking about booking lessons with their pro. Just wanted to check if there are any other recommendations first. 

Just now, Carl Weathers said:

Completely new to this thread (and golf), so apologies if this has been covered before.

I want to learn how to play golf. I have just been out to a range a couple of times where I got some pointers from a mate. I have also got a pretty old set of clubs off my grandad to start learning with. Are lessons the best way to go? I live near Duddingson and thinking about booking lessons with their pro. Just wanted to check if there are any other recommendations first. 

Definitely worthwhile getting a few lessons from a pro if you're just starting out.

37 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

There's no one-size-fits-all plan really.    You could go from ground zero to lessons or you could just practice yourself and develop a swing first and go for lessons later.     

There's no point spending lots of money on clubs at the moment.    All you need are decent, reasonably modern clubs.    Hopefully good grips on them.    If uou get a chance,  try to get a shot of a few drivers or woods or irons.   Other mates,  etc.    You might get a pointer towards the kind of clubs you're comfortable with.

Later on you can look towards getting specific clubs.   You need to have a consistent,  repeatable swing first before it's beneficial to be fitted for clubs.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Carl Weathers said:

If transport is not an issue for you, get yourself up to somewhere like Swanston which has a par 3 course. It'll give you a feel for the course set up and allow you to focus on the short game element (most important part of the game all pros will tell you). It'll also be more enjoyable for a beginner as you will only be using the bottom end of the set. 

3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

If transport is not an issue for you, get yourself up to somewhere like Swanston which has a par 3 course. It'll give you a feel for the course set up and allow you to focus on the short game element (most important part of the game all pros will tell you). It'll also be more enjoyable for a beginner as you will only be using the bottom end of the set. 

I'd advocate this as well. Getting on the course will be so much more beneficial.

You could always check out the second market on places like Facebook or Club 4 Cash and upgrade yourself to something a bit more modern than the clubs above. Some reasonable irons and woods wouldn't set you back too much.

Thanks guys. I can get up to Swanston and will take a look at that shop at Loanhead. Are those clubs above not worth persevering with? Any brands I should be looking at? 

2 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

🤣

They're my grandad's old set - the problem is that he's 89! Still plays regularly. 

Could be a total wand though.    Bet he pots 'em in from all over the shop.

2 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

Thanks guys. I can get up to Swanston and will take a look at that shop at Loanhead. Are those clubs above not worth persevering with? Any brands I should be looking at? 

American Golf have a couple of pretty decent entry level deals.

https://www.americangolf.co.uk/golf-clubs/sets-of-irons/fazer-xr-4-hybrid-%26-steel-irons-5-sw-259792.html

https://www.americangolf.co.uk/golf-clubs/sets-of-irons/wilson-deep-red-maxx-steel-irons-314035.html

Edited by hmfc_liam06

My local American Golf (Glenrothes) are always doing great deals on second hand gear too.

Not that long ago they were doing a full set of clubs, bag and trolley for like £250.

If you are on Facebook, the Golf Trader Fife page is worth adding.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

You'll easily find a 'modern' suitable set (or half set) for a low price through the sites previously mentioned. Gumtree is worth a look as is your local pro shop who'll possibly have some old demo or rental clubs. 

5 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

🤣

They're my grandad's old set - the problem is that he's 89! Still plays regularly. 

If your prepared to jaunt out to Uphall, I will borrow you a fairly decent set to get you started.

No bag or putter though.

5 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

🤣

Would give GolfClubs4Cash in Bilston a look. Massive selection of 2nd hand clubs.

18 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

Cheers. I think I'll keep going to the range and get some lessons booked. These are the clubs I have been given (need a good clean). 

20190906-190830.jpg

You probably need to shorten the shafts on those clubs! 

Won my first trophy in years today.  Totally chuffed as I've found it so hard playing of 4 giving strokes away all the time. And today, I got 1.. 

Birdied the last to win 

19 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

If your prepared to jaunt out to Uphall, I will borrow you a fairly decent set to get you started.

No bag or putter though.

Thanks for the kind offer mate, very good of you. I think I'll take a trip to Cash 4 clubs and pick some up though.

Edited by Carl Weathers

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Played for the first time in over 2 years today, after falling completely out of love with game. 

The round was up and down, as should be expected, as never even hit golf ball prior. 

I forgot how tough the the game was.

Driving the ball felt really weird. Which used to be my strength, really struggled to get beyond 300yards. Though I did win me a prize for long drive. 

I normally draw the ball and rarely managed to bring it back all day. Just really struggled to get the hands moving through the ball as result felt was just concentrating on making sure in play which wasn’t all that easy. Though started and finished with the same ball, albeit spotter helped a couple of times. 

Iron work outside of 100yards was very decent considering time away. However, inside 100 yards was a joke either a mile too long or just absolutely fluffed it because got the fear and decelerated. It got stage where purposely leaving longer shots into greens.

My putting was good ,a few putts apart, that just completely misjudged pace or line and once putted off green from a monster putt with stupid pin position. However, didn’t leave many out there and don’t think missed anything inside 10ft and sunk a very nice 30ft on final hole to scramble a par. 

Can’t say I ever felt in the zone or the swing was there, other than mid to long irons. There was a lot more scrambling than I expected. Whilst forgot how strange playing a course never played before was, not knowing lines or greens is a pain.

Broke 80, hit some very good shots and at no point did I get frustrated at myself or the game of golf in general;  which was probably the biggest achievement of day!. So way more positives than negatives.

Not sure it would make me rush out or want to play again. I do fear the frustrations would return quickly with regular play. Easy to put bad shots down to rustiness as opposed to just being shit, if don’t play much!

Sounds like you did quite well.     It's not that unusual to play quite well,   albeit erratic,   after a long time away.     

The bad news is that the 2nd game is normally a backwards step.    Your challenge is to buck the trend.

4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I remember that😕

I cant make my mind up if want to get back into it or not. I just remember it frustrating the hell out me prior to my break. However, I played with a couple of nice people today, weather was good, seen some nice views, walked a few miles in the fresh air and did hit some good shots; certainly had a lot worse days! 

Just scared it frustrates the hell out of me again. 

I could give it a bit of time just now, practice and play, and probably get really low. However, just want to go out and enjoy the game and have a bit of fun with it, 

Away to sunny clones in a few weeks, think will maybe hire a set and give a bash to test water again. I remember golf in sunshine being very enjoyable, 

You obviously have a competitive instinct or demands on yourself to have high standards.     Golf is a cruel mistress for those with these traits.     The ones who truly enjoy golf are those who can completely switch off.      

12 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Yeah you’ve pretty much nailed it. 

I’m trying to develop the skills of truly shutting off. Any tips much appreciated lol. 

I need to learn to enjoy the shot as opposed to the score 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ohh and when did remote control trollies become a thing? Two guys played with had golf trollies followed then  about. They just pressed a button and it followed them. Seemed to know where the green was etc to stop! 

Beats carrying I guess.

I'm no help.   I don't do meaningless golf.

14 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Played for the first time in over 2 years today, after falling completely out of love with game. 

The round was up and down, as should be expected, as never even hit golf ball prior. 

I forgot how tough the the game was.

Driving the ball felt really weird. Which used to be my strength, really struggled to get beyond 300yards. Though I did win me a prize for long drive. 

I normally draw the ball and rarely managed to bring it back all day. Just really struggled to get the hands moving through the ball as result felt was just concentrating on making sure in play which wasn’t all that easy. Though started and finished with the same ball, albeit spotter helped a couple of times. 

Iron work outside of 100yards was very decent considering time away. However, inside 100 yards was a joke either a mile too long or just absolutely fluffed it because got the fear and decelerated. It got stage where purposely leaving longer shots into greens.

My putting was good ,a few putts apart, that just completely misjudged pace or line and once putted off green from a monster putt with stupid pin position. However, didn’t leave many out there and don’t think missed anything inside 10ft and sunk a very nice 30ft on final hole to scramble a par. 

Can’t say I ever felt in the zone or the swing was there, other than mid to long irons. There was a lot more scrambling than I expected. Whilst forgot how strange playing a course never played before was, not knowing lines or greens is a pain.

Broke 80, hit some very good shots and at no point did I get frustrated at myself or the game of golf in general;  which was probably the biggest achievement of day!. So way more positives than negatives.

Not sure it would make me rush out or want to play again. I do fear the frustrations would return quickly with regular play. Easy to put bad shots down to rustiness as opposed to just being shit, if don’t play much!

After 2 years out you're still playing at a level the vast majority of golfers can only dream of. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

After 2 years out you're still playing at a level the vast majority of golfers can only dream of. :lol: 

Really struggled to get beyond 300 yards...

I think you'll join me in this RG... :rofl: