Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

John mcCartney

12 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

They ain't targeting the average Joe with those fees, following the Kingsbarns model.

I think the course cost £18m to build, don't know if that's all in including the land purchase. £20m for the land seems steep?

indeed chief....possibly 20 for the lot,2 mil purchase for land

any knowledge on the winter season there ? winter rates or maybe total shutdown?

i would at a push have a go there in largo bay and also,muirfield if it was for top wong

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, John mcCartney said:

indeed chief....possibly 20 for the lot,2 mil purchase for land

any knowledge on the winter season there ? winter rates or maybe total shutdown?

i would at a push have a go there in largo bay and also,muirfield if it was for top wong

I've no idea, if they're following the Kingsbarns route they may well shut down. 

23 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

62 tonight with the CSS sitting at 69 when I left. Will lose 2.1 if it stays there and get down to 15.

Score.   Always makes the long term toil and struggle worthwhile when you finally get a cut.    Handicap motivated golfers need patience in buckets.    You'll be on cloud 9.

11 hours ago, Victorian said:

Score.   Always makes the long term toil and struggle worthwhile when you finally get a cut.    Handicap motivated golfers need patience in buckets.    You'll be on cloud 9.

Cheers man, it's been a bit of a struggle this year, playing well then having 2 or 3 horror holes and scraping buffer of 0.1. Was good to finally put it together. Got lucky at times, holed out from a bunker and nailed a few long putts. Feel like it was just rewards though!

Hopefully get to the target of 14 by end of the season.

Last night.. out in 31 (missed 2 puts I would usually have got) Back in 40. . Triple bogey 7 on the last... I hate golf

But I love it as well

49 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Last night.. out in 31 (missed 2 puts I would usually have got) Back in 40. . Triple bogey 7 on the last... I hate golf

But I love it as well

in for a mad spell of Opens.

Elie on saturday, Broomieknowe Tues, Harburn next Sat, Uphall, next Sun., Harburn again Wed & Ratho followin Sun.

I think that's 20 this season.

Just back from a poor effort at Shotts, started yipping my around the green shots again.

I thought I had go through that. bloody back up to 13.

I had a look at my scores (serious geek, excel spreadsheet :sad:) as I amy hardly hitting birdies this season.

This time last year 19 and 1x eagle (flukey pitch). this year 6  WTF

I genuinely thoght my game was improving, obviously not :sad:

9 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Cheers man, it's been a bit of a struggle this year, playing well then having 2 or 3 horror holes and scraping buffer of 0.1. Was good to finally put it together. Got lucky at times, holed out from a bunker and nailed a few long putts. Feel like it was just rewards though!

Hopefully get to the target of 14 by end of the season.

It happens.    There is the odd medal round when a lot of putts go in and sometimes it coincides with minimal shots chucked back.    Dobbing in from a bunker is an extra bonus.     The important thing is to take advantage and finish off the score.    You got the cut.

There's nothing more soul destroying than draining a few putts but chucking them back elsewhere.    

Holing putts and getting a feeling that putts are there to be holed is a product of getting the distance control right.    Getting the pace of the greens early on and not having to hunt for the pace.     Line of putt is always secondary to distance control.

If only it could be bottled and stored.

Just off Elie for the first visit.

Loved it, just too bloody windy.

Obviously the wind makes it hard. But my score is down to shit shots and missed putts. 88-12

Young lad playing with hit his driver at 8 then 12, 320-330 yards. Great to see. Then lost his balls 14 & 17 and put into the clubhouse area at 18. :lol:

He NR at the 1st  after 3 tee shots.

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Spewing. Turns out Tuesday was declared a non-qualifier. No 2.1 cut for me.

:seething:

Oh ffs.    Savage.

36 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Oh ffs.    Savage.

Raging. Course was wet and apparently they had put preferred lies on but not everyone was aware. I'm going to see the club captain anyway to see if he'll give me it for general play. Worth asking.

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Raging. Course was wet and apparently they had put preferred lies on but not everyone was aware. I'm going to see the club captain anyway to see if he'll give me it for general play. Worth asking.

I was going to suggest it was possible.    You could ask for it to be counted as a supplementary surely?    As I understand it,    a supp only has to be notified to the starter in advance.     Surely the act of signing into a medal is essentially the same thing.

Just now, Victorian said:

I was going to suggest it was possible.    You could ask for it to be counted as a supplementary surely?    As I understand it,    a supp only has to be notified to the starter in advance.     Surely the act of signing into a medal is essentially the same thing.

Aye you'd think so. See what happens.

14 hours ago, Victorian said:

I've been given a 1.0 cut. Doesn't make any sense though.

CSS was 69 which would have been 2.1.

If it was a non-qualifier CSS goes out the window I'd have thought they would have worked my cut against SSS which is 67 and 1.5 cut.

The 0.5 makes a huge difference as my score yesterday would definitely get me down to 15 if I'd been given the 1.5. 

8 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've been given a 1.0 cut. Doesn't make any sense though.

CSS was 69 which would have been 2.1.

If it was a non-qualifier CSS goes out the window I'd have thought they would have worked my cut against SSS which is 67 and 1.5 cut.

The 0.5 makes a huge difference as my score yesterday would definitely get me down to 15 if I'd been given the 1.5. 

It's some reward at least.   You should ask how it was determined.   You're Cat3 which would normally mean a 1.0 cut is impossible unless it was a cut to straddle the categories (not the case as you aren't near Cat2).    If sounds like an arbitrary number.

29 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's some reward at least.   You should ask how it was determined.   You're Cat3 which would normally mean a 1.0 cut is impossible unless it was a cut to straddle the categories (not the case as you aren't near Cat2).    If sounds like an arbitrary number.

It has been plucked out of thin air. I thought at the least they would use my score against standard scratch.

Would have been 17.3 to 15.5. My -2 score yesterday would put me to 14.9. Instead the 16.3 only becomes 15.7.

Quite frustrating.

22 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It has been plucked out of thin air. I thought at the least they would use my score against standard scratch.

Would have been 17.3 to 15.5. My -2 score yesterday would put me to 14.9. Instead the 16.3 only becomes 15.7.

Quite frustrating.

You could say that a 2.1 cut from 17.3 to 15.2 would have resulted in your -2 score being -1 instead.    New h/c of 14.9.    If you're 15.7 then you are 0.8 worse off than you woukd have been.    At least you got something anyway.    

21 hours ago, Victorian said:

You could say that a 2.1 cut from 17.3 to 15.2 would have resulted in your -2 score being -1 instead.    New h/c of 14.9.    If you're 15.7 then you are 0.8 worse off than you woukd have been.    At least you got something anyway.    

Spoke with the club captain, he had cut me in 0.2's instead of 0.3's.

End result, I'm off 15.2 now.

Happy days!

19 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Happy days!

😳   You would hope errors like that should never happen in handicapping.   I take it it's not computerised?   

Good end result though.   

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

😳   You would hope errors like that should never happen in handicapping.   I take it it's not computerised?   

Good end result though.   

We're not the most "up to date" club :lol:

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Happy days!

Tidy!!  Well done :)

5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Happy days!

Pressure on now, not to go up to 16 :lol:

I failed to keep myself at 12 (12.7 now :sad:)

Cheers lads. Work is starting to pay off.

Haha yeah Tommy, not much to play with before I head up back to 16. Aimed for 14 at the start of the year. To be honest, I'd be happy getting another 0.3 and be pretty comfy at 15 with less threat of going up to 16.

larbert_jambo

I'm looking to take up golf again. Not played in almost 13/14 years. 

Looking for a good starter set of clubs at a decent price to get me going to see if I can get back into it an enjoy it.  Can always upgrade down the line if I do but don't wanna break the bank just now.

Edited by larbert_jambo

14 minutes ago, larbert_jambo said:

I'm looking to take up golf again. Not played in almost 13/14 years. 

Looking for a good starter set of clubs at a decent price to get me going to see if I can get back into it an enjoy it.  Can always upgrade down the line if I do but don't wanna break the bank just now.

How much do you want to spend? Get yourself some second hand gear, Clubs for Cash are pretty decent. Or if you want new, just nipt to American Golf, they often have decent brand starter sets.

Talking of targets (I don't normally set them),   I've got at least 4 medals to play in the rest of the season but maybe 1 of 2 more.     Sitting on 7.3 which is where I started (only thanks to a blitzer of a back 9).     So that's 0.9 to get to 6.    Assuming I go up 0.1 once,  that's 1.0 @ 0.2 a shot.     5 under for one or more rounds.     That's a 71 to do it all in a oner (not on at this time of year for me) of maybe 74 and 73 (still a tall order).    

Maybe a more realistic target is just to get within striking distance for the final comp or for the start of next season.    

I just want to get there before the transition over to the new system.   But it's ****ing hard.   🤨

larbertjambo
On 11/08/2019 at 12:32, Armageddon said:

Woodhall Spa last week... what a tough trek!

7-C9420-AA-A869-45-D0-8-CFB-717-B380409-

The hotchkin. Beast of a course. Think I remember a ladder down into some bunkers.

Great place for a few days golf.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Talking of targets (I don't normally set them),   I've got at least 4 medals to play in the rest of the season but maybe 1 of 2 more.     Sitting on 7.3 which is where I started (only thanks to a blitzer of a back 9).     So that's 0.9 to get to 6.    Assuming I go up 0.1 once,  that's 1.0 @ 0.2 a shot.     5 under for one or more rounds.     That's a 71 to do it all in a oner (not on at this time of year for me) of maybe 74 and 73 (still a tall order).    

Maybe a more realistic target is just to get within striking distance for the final comp or for the start of next season.    

I just want to get there before the transition over to the new system.   But it's ****ing hard.   🤨

Is there a trend to your game that's preventing you from going lower consistently? ie Would dropping the driver from the bag help find more fairways or ditching a 60 degree wedge in favour of an extra hybrid help? 

I've sacrificed the driver over the last two season (it's lucky to get more than 2 outings a round) for finding fairways and worked on getting down in two from 30/40 yards often. Scoring has improved a lot and getting lots more birdie conversions. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Is there a trend to your game that's preventing you from going lower consistently? ie Would dropping the driver from the bag help find more fairways or ditching a 60 degree wedge in favour of an extra hybrid help? 

I've sacrificed the driver over the last two season (it's lucky to get more than 2 outings a round) for finding fairways and worked on getting down in two from 30/40 yards often. Scoring has improved a lot and getting lots more birdie conversions. 

No I tend to make my better scores in the height of the summer when there's a little bit of fire in the fairways.    It's the exact opposite on the driver.    I think the driver is about the easiest shot in golf to get right and consistent.    

I don't have distance in my armoury,   don't practice at all and can have a shaky pitching / chipping game at times.    I used to be solid on iron play but that's not quite as good as it was.    Nothing is really good but nothing is bad.    Don't make enough birdies and have to rely on making lots of pars and minimising **** ups to score.

My 18 double bogeys this medal season have cost me a huge bite out of my handicap because my other scoring has been good.    But that's golf for you.

Edited by Victorian

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

No I tend to make my better scores in the height of the summer when there's a little bit of fire in the fairways.    It's the exact opposite on the driver.    I think the driver is about the easiest shot in golf to get right and consistent.    

I don't have distance in my armoury,   don't practice at all and can have a shaky pitching / chipping game at times.    I used to be solid on iron play but that's not quite as good as it was.    Nothing is really good but nothing is bad.    Don't make enough birdies and have to rely on making lots of pars and minimising **** ups to score.

My 18 double bogeys this medal season have cost me a huge bite out of my handicap because my other scoring has been good.    But that's golf for you.

Chipping can make a huge difference to scores. Around 70% of your scorecard is made from within 100 yards of the hole and on the occasions where players don't hit greens in reg, chipping and pitching splits the top players from the weekend medalists. 

If you don't have a chance to practice chipping, bumping a hybrid around the green can work wonders. 

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

Chipping can make a huge difference to scores. Around 70% of your scorecard is made from within 100 yards of the hole and on the occasions where players don't hit greens in reg, chipping and pitching splits the top players from the weekend medalists. 

If you don't have a chance to practice chipping, bumping a hybrid around the green can work wonders. 

It's definitely true.

I barely hit a GIR during my -6 round last week. I was chipping in close a lot of the time and got round in 27 putts. My driving was pretty ropey too.

All about the short game.

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm not that bad.  😳  😃

I can chip quite well if in the zone.    Just a bit ponderous at times.

4 hours ago, larbertjambo said:

The hotchkin. Beast of a course. Think I remember a ladder down into some bunkers.

Great place for a few days golf.

The drive down seemed to take ages, but worth it! Legs took a pounding as it was a hard walk, very impressive spot and the town was also a lovely wee place 👍🏼

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

I'm not that bad.  😳  😃

I can chip quite well if in the zone.    Just a bit ponderous at times.

Yeah, off 7 shows you can play to a good standard. It's marginal gains you are looking for though. 

All scratch and cat1 players will have the double bogey (or worse) moments. It happens. It's looking for ways to convert the 'accepted' bogeys and pars into something better. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Yeah, off 7 shows you can play to a good standard. It's marginal gains you are looking for though. 

All scratch and cat1 players will have the double bogey (or worse) moments. It happens. It's looking for ways to convert the 'accepted' bogeys and pars into something better. 

Margins is what it's all about indeed.    I have very little margin.     Golfers have a variety of margins across a spectrum.    Some very low players have next to no margin and others are distance monsters who churn out birdies but have sporadic shite as well.   Much more margin.     The same things apply along the scale of handicap levels.       Vert low players tend not to have an obvious weak aspect in their game.    They're normally very good in every department,   despite what they might believe themselves.     Anyone outside of Cat1 normally has a weakness somewhere,    albeit minor through to profoundly destructive.     

On 20/08/2019 at 20:48, Victorian said:

Margins is what it's all about indeed.    I have very little margin.     Golfers have a variety of margins across a spectrum.    Some very low players have next to no margin and others are distance monsters who churn out birdies but have sporadic shite as well.   Much more margin.     The same things apply along the scale of handicap levels.       Vert low players tend not to have an obvious weak aspect in their game.    They're normally very good in every department,   despite what they might believe themselves.     Anyone outside of Cat1 normally has a weakness somewhere,    albeit minor through to profoundly destructive.     

When I'm playing well - I will make 5 birdies in a round - and still play to 4 - I haven't been able to chip for the last 4 or 5 years but have now re-learned and have to just get my confidence up... I am good tee to green but the amount of times I take 3 from the side of a green would make a good 15 handicapper hate the game... 

Still work in progress - 

Biggest tip for the majority of golfers would be use a PW around the greens , helped me a lot last few years. Used to grab the lob wedge far too often. Don’t be a hero, get the ball doing the work for you. 

That's a good shout tbf.    I used to bump and run a 7-iron from around the green from a variety of distance and lies.    Always the 7.    Somewhere along the road I lost the feel for it and automatically whip out the 56 degree for most shots.    I think it stems from greenside chipping out of lies when the ball is sitting down in wiry greenside rough.     I always feel the need to loft it out with a steep approach.    Hands a bit forward,  ball off the back foot.    Always conscious of the club head contacting the grass on the backswing.

Ideally you need to be as relaxed as possible on the delicate chipping but if you're at all tense,    the club can feel like a lead weight and your legs can feel dead.   

5 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Biggest tip for the majority of golfers would be use a PW around the greens , helped me a lot last few years. Used to grab the lob wedge far too often. Don’t be a hero, get the ball doing the work for you. 

Shot Scope had a stat a wee while ago with the correlation between handicap level and club used to chip around the greens.

Needless to say, most high handicappers are chipping with a SW.

I tend to go with a 9 iron. Nice balance of loft and consistency for me.

The Mighty Thor
On 20/08/2019 at 13:52, Victorian said:

Don't get too hung up on the new handicapping system as it's not coming in any time soon.

I suspect you'll have all next season 👍

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Don't get too hung up on the new handicapping system as it's not coming in any time soon.

Looks like end of next season anyway.   Still want to build up as good a pool of scores for the transition.     

Samuel Camazzola

The Tour Championship in Atlanta is currently suspended due to a weather warning. With no on course coverage to broadcast, Sky have just out on a 10/15 minute PGA Tour video showing footage of last year's championship captured by the fans. 

If there was ever any doubt, the footage confirms that Tiger is still the biggest star in the sporting world by a country mile. 

22 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Going by scores and CSS only, mine is 13.0, my current actual 12.7.

I know nothing about course slopes, though.

8 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Going by scores and CSS only, mine is 13.0, my current actual 12.7.

I know nothing about course slopes, though.

The system is almost algebraic.    Rangefinder / scientific calculator watches being R&D'd by Garmin as we speak.