Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

HeinzTomatoSoup

I am looking to gap my 3 wood (15 deg) and 4 iron (22 deg), but not sure if i should go for a 5 wood or a Hybrid at 18 degrees?

Any advice on which i should go for would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by HeinzTomatoSoup

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, HeinzTomatoSoup said:

I am looking to gap my 3 wood (15 deg) and 4 iron (22 deg), but not sure if i should go for a 5 wood or a Hybrid at 18 degrees?

Any advice on which i should go for would be appreciated.

Thanks

An obvious statement but go to a pro to get fitted out for both. You'll be able get an analysis ran on your 3 wood and 4 iron to be presented with the best option. 

Are you Edinburgh based and what standard do you play to? 

HeinzTomatoSoup
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

An obvious statement but go to a pro to get fitted out for both. You'll be able get an analysis ran on your 3 wood and 4 iron to be presented with the best option. 

Are you Edinburgh based and what standard do you play to? 

Based in Glasgow.

Currently at 15 HC after taking game up last year. 

Yeah prob best but was looking to just get 2nd hand club supposed to getting fitted.

Samuel Camazzola
10 minutes ago, HeinzTomatoSoup said:

Based in Glasgow.

Yeah prob best but was looking to just get 2nd hand club supposed to getting fitted.

I don't know any pros through that way to recommend. Most American Golf stores have the bays with the screens to gather your data so you could try there too. Take your 3 wood and 4 iron with you to see how your shots are shaping up etc... 👍 

I would tend to say hybrid but you would ideally want to get a good idea of how you perform with a 5 wood and hybrids from a variety of lies,  etc.     

Some fairway woods and some hybrids have a rounded leading edge to the face.    This helps to get a good flight from the fairway and also to get a good contact when the ball is sitting down a bit in the first cut or rough.     Not all hybrids are the same.     Some are quite square faced and very slightly offset.    Some are as I described.     There can be quite a variance in length of shaft.    Shaft stiffness is important,  as ever.    Some are very light in feel and some are a little weighty.      You need to look at lots of reviews and ideally try out a few clubs to get an idea of what you'll get on with.

hmfc_liam06
19 hours ago, HeinzTomatoSoup said:

Based in Glasgow.

Just go to American Golf and use their bays to get the data you need. It's free.

Then go find a 2nd hand club of the one you prefe.

I may or may not be talking from experience on this :lol:

Tomorrow's competition cancelled.    Not displeased as it's looking bad weather anyway.      Not played in a good few weeks now due to the weather.   May be another few weeks again.

Well as grim as the weather looks tomorrow I’ll still be playing my first round of golf since the middle of may.

Me ,my fiancé and our daughter went on holiday in may and my fiancé fell ill on the last day , sadly after 57 odd days of intensive care in Perth Royal infirmary and then a transfer to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary it wasn’t enough to save my best friend and a most wonderful mother, 25th of July,  at 31 years of age. she told me not to be sad ( not easy) and remember our incredible 13 years together .  

I’ll be teeing it up in her memory tomorrow.  She always supported my golf obsession!

hmfc_liam06
26 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Well as grim as the weather looks tomorrow I’ll still be playing my first round of golf since the middle of may.

Me ,my fiancé and our daughter went on holiday in may and my fiancé fell ill on the last day , sadly after 57 odd days of intensive care in Perth Royal infirmary and then a transfer to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary it wasn’t enough to save my best friend and a most wonderful mother, 25th of July,  at 31 years of age. she told me not to be sad ( not easy) and remember our incredible 13 years together .  

I’ll be teeing it up in her memory tomorrow.  She always supported my golf obsession!

****ing hell man! Huge condolences. 

I hope you have the round of your life tomorrow.

42 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Jeez that's awful. Sorry for your loss.

Lightning storms forecast tomorrow, stay safe!

4 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Really sorry to hear that, can’t imagine what you’ve been through, thoughts with you and your family, things like this really put life in perspective. 

Enjoy your round tomorrow.

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, Irufushi said:

I've never met you but that's genuinely gutting! So sorry for you, your daughter and your family's loss. 

Enjoy your day tomorrow. 👍 

John mcCartney

There are no words.
Hopefully the golf goes great and you get back to whittling that single figure hcap of yours soon.
All the best to you and your daughter.

Golf was good apart from the short game, amazing how quickly that part of the game goes after a wee break. Not knowing the course layout was testing too. 

Course.... wow! Very impressed by it, already bedded in nicely and looks fantastic (I’ll try and post a few snaps) will only improve. 

And it didnt rain once, the sun even made an appearance. Also thank you for the replies 👍.

7 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

What course @Irufushi?

My home course, kings golf club , Inverness . Only opened last month. 

As ive said already, if anyone is up in these parts and would like to play it I’m happy to sign you on . 

I managed to play today after all and shot my best score of the year 😊

Also timed it perfectly getting the full 18 in while it was sunny, before it absolutely chucked it down seconds after getting into the club house. 

Samuel Camazzola

Played The Lyndoch course at Murrayshall today. It's changed since I last played it 2/3 years ago. The 18 holes are now covered by a 10 hole layout (only the 1st and 18th are not played twice) with one of the holes set up to play as a par 4 or par 5.

Although the course was fairly wet in places, it was in decent condition. Some of the greens could have been cleared in the morning as there was a lot of twigs and leaves lying about. 

For a freebie, it was a decent outing. 

14 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Played The Lyndoch course at Murrayshall today. It's changed since I last played it 2/3 years ago. The 18 holes are now covered by a 10 hole layout (only the 1st and 18th are not played twice) with one of the holes set up to play as a par 4 or par 5.

Although the course was fairly wet in places, it was in decent condition. Some of the greens could have been cleared in the morning as there was a lot of twigs and leaves lying about. 

For a freebie, it was a decent outing. 

Disappointed that they've lost probably the best hole of the two courses - the 16th on the Lynedoch.

Samuel Camazzola
39 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Disappointed that they've lost probably the best hole of the two courses - the 16th on the Lynedoch.

The short par 4 from the elevated tee? If so, think it may have been 15th. A series of holes at the higher end of the course have been left to seed and it's quite sad to see. 

The members were invited to take part in a survey and the response was a majority didn't play those holes. The original 16th, 17th and 18th are included within the 10 that remain. The par 3 which is about 90 yards is still there. A bit of a nonsense hole as it's just a flick with no protection at the front. 

11 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The short par 4 from the elevated tee? If so, think it may have been 15th. A series of holes at the higher end of the course have been left to seed and it's quite sad to see. 

The members were invited to take part in a survey and the response was a majority didn't play those holes. The original 16th, 17th and 18th are included within the 10 that remain. The par 3 which is about 90 yards is still there. A bit of a nonsense hole as it's just a flick with no protection at the front. 

Aye that's the one. Great hole. Might not be for everyone but I really enjoyed it when I played the course a couple years back.

Brassed off, never went this morning as forecast was ****ing rotten.

Never rained once. Walked the dog in t-shirt & shorts.

two weekends running I've missed for nothing. prick

edit

and ignored weather on Wednesday, flash flod at 3rd hole, course was flooded within 20 mins.

To get home  to the Mrs saying "Surely you wernae playing in that!"

:sadrobbo:

Edited by Tommy Brown

The Mighty Thor
20 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

On another note, how embarrassing was De Chambeau yesterday? 

He's getting it stinking at the minute. Quite right too, however he's not alone. 

Trouble is it washes its way down to the amateur game. We were 3 hours 40 for a two ball on Thursday behind a boy with the longest pre shot routine I've ever seen. He was shite into the bargain. 

I was 2 under through 7 where we caught them then finished in 81 as we stood for every single shot all the way in. 

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

He's getting it stinking at the minute. Quite right too, however he's not alone. 

Trouble is it washes its way down to the amateur game. We were 3 hours 40 for a two ball on Thursday behind a boy with the longest pre shot routine I've ever seen. He was shite into the bargain. 

I was 2 under through 7 where we caught them then finished in 81 as we stood for every single shot all the way in. 

He was nearly 2 and a half minutes over an 8 foot putt which he slapped 4 feet past. That was after consulting the green book twice, reading the putt from every angle and also discussing it with his caddy. 

He's not alone but penalty shots are going to need to get applied for the nonsense. 

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Anyone seen the hole by hole preview of Dumbarnie Links yet? Looks superb!

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/dumbarnie-links-a-hole-by-hole-guide

Yeah, looks great. Set up for all abilities too with Tiger tees for potential Pro comps. 

60% discounts coming for Fife residents too! 👍 

3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Yeah, looks great. Set up for all abilities too with Tiger tees for potential Pro comps. 

60% discounts coming for Fife residents too! 👍 

Aye, around £100 a round for us Fifers. Will likely play it 2021, give it some time to bed in and let them iron out the kinks.

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Aye, around £100 a round for us Fifers. Will likely play it 2021, give it some time to bed in and let them iron out the kinks.

£80 I believe (going by the £200 per player rates that bookings are being taken for). You can sign up for their newsletter now to receive the offers and info. 

3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

£80 I believe (going by the £200 per player rates that bookings are being taken for). You can sign up for their newsletter now to receive the offers and info. 

I thought it was 240-260 per round?

Samuel Camazzola
36 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I thought it was 240-260 per round?

When the booking was first launched, it was £200 a skull. If it has gone up, that may have only been an introductory rate that I saw. 

John mcCartney

Thats what I heard also,260 sovs........fecking laughable really

It is a great setting though aint it,Largo bay.It will be a beautiful course when the suns out there
Didnt the bloke buy the land for 20 mil ?

10 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

Thats what I heard also,260 sovs........fecking laughable really

It is a great setting though aint it,Largo bay.It will be a beautiful course when the suns out there
Didnt the bloke buy the land for 20 mil ?

They ain't targeting the average Joe with those fees, following the Kingsbarns model.

I think the course cost £18m to build, don't know if that's all in including the land purchase. £20m for the land seems steep?

Edited by hmfc_liam06

45 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

£235 for a single round of golf. :rofl: 

And folk pay it no problem.

£1,000 for a fourball at Kingsbarns.

Imagine you were booked up 7am til 5pm, 10 minute tee intervals, that's £60,000 a day on green fees :lol:

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

More money than sense. Makes my £880 annual membership seem like a bargain. :lol: 

Haha aye!

That's just one course too. Imagine the money going through the Links Trust and their 7 courses! They're all pretty much booked out daily. I should have snuck a look at the annual reports when the company I used to work for designed them!

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

£235 per round it is.

£94 for us Fifers.

There's a large group of folk who'd pay around £70 to watch a Liverpool friendly. I think I'd choose to pay £90+ for the golf on a course like that every time.