Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tommy Brown

Teed off at 2:45 at Ladybank yesterday, expecting to get soaked.

The weather could not have ended up better. not even a breeze.

Unfortunately, my golf was poor, putted poorly early doors, then drove poorly.

Lovely course.

On 07/06/2019 at 14:22, robbodog said:

The last few weeks have been awful. Steadily gone back up to 13.7? but then yesterday shot a scratch 76 for a net 62?. Waiting on howdidido results coming through to see how big a cut ive been given, the par is 71 but the css varies from 69 to 72 usually.?

El Bandito - Scratch 76 off 14 awesome:fonzie:

Samuel Camazzola

Rory is running away with the Canadian Open. On fire in the final round and 59 is a possibility. 

GMac on course for qualifying for Pebble Beach too. 

Somehow managed to snap the head off my 7 iron playing out of a fairway bunker today. On the ****ing 2nd hole. 

:seething:

Anyone have an idea of costs involved to repair/reshaft? 

Samuel Camazzola
23 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Rory is running away with the Canadian Open. On fire in the final round and 59 is a possibility. 

GMac on course for qualifying for Pebble Beach too. 

GMac makes it to the Open too. 

9 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

GMac makes it to the Open too. 

Brilliant that he will be at Portrush. Was he not already at the US due to being a past winner?

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Brilliant that he will be at Portrush. Was he not already at the US due to being a past winner?

You'll be right. This will be his last year as getting a past champion exemption. 

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Just booked in for Swanston this Saturday. Never played it before...mountain goat required?

Not in its current layout as 'Swanston New'. The hilly parts have not been used for several years. 

Since they introduced the academy, par 3 course and six new holes, they have tinkered with the course a lot. I've not played it for a few years so I'm unsure of its current design but they did acquire two of Lothianburn's holes (probably Swanston's two best now). I wasn't a fan of finishing on a par 3 but this may have been changed

hmfc_liam06
4 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Not in its current layout as 'Swanston New'. The hilly parts have not been used for several years. 

Since they introduced the academy, par 3 course and six new holes, they have tinkered with the course a lot. I've not played it for a few years so I'm unsure of its current design but they did acquire two of Lothianburn's holes (probably Swanston's two best now). I wasn't a fan of finishing on a par 3 but this may have been changed

The 18th is a par 4 now it seems. 412 yards with a burn protecting the green.

Samuel Camazzola
7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The 18th is a par 4 now it seems. 412 yards with a burn protecting the green.

Looking at their 3D flyover, it's one of the newer holes. 

This was the 18th at one point but then became the 6th (as I believe they wanted the finishing hole to be overlooked by the terrace area of the club house.) The par 3 18th which sat beneath the clubhouse was not the best and it looks like they've seen sense. 

Secondary knock-out comp.   Playing a 3 h/c so got 5 shots.   I could only bogey all 4 of the shots I got.    Opponent had 14 straight pars to win 5/4.     But that doesn't tell the full story because twice he conceded holes only to find his ball a few seconds later.     I'm way too long in the tooth to care about sticking rigidly to any advantage going so I just said play on.    What I got for my sportsmanship was him holing a putt for a 3 after a miracle recovery and then chipping in for a half the second time.    A hard faced player might have taken those holes and a 3 hole swing with a shot to come.    

Anyway,   twatted 5/4.    +9 thru 14 was pretty dull stuff anyway.    Boy had straight pars which was nice to see.   Oot that one then.

I've just seen my football bet that went down by one game.   Would have got a nice part cash out during that but I was too busy being schooled at golf.

:vrface:

Just now, Barack said:

When the Wullie McDoherty Claret Toilet Bowl Trophy is on the line, I thought all you club golfer's who like the competition in tourny golf, take your advantages when they come around?

:lol:

Boy's probably laughing his cock off at your "generosity" tonight.

You can bet your arse he'd never have reciprocated. 

Yeah maybe.   I'm competitive but I'm not obsessed.    It was just weird timing.     It was "yeah ok let's carry on... oh there it is".    Twice.     A freak.      But long gone are the days when winning a hole in a match > just being sensible and sporting.     His two incredible escapes just rubbed it in.

Long,  long odds on I would still have lost.    5/4 or on the 17th or 18th makes no difference.

Just now, Barack said:

I'd rather play you in a match, than him.

Life or death to some ****ers. Behave, like. :lol:

Nothing wrong with him at all.    A right good lad.    

I think it's much better nowadays than maybe 20-30 years ago.    Ties tend to be more sporting.     My dad's generation were a bunch of cut-throats who would sell their granny for a free drop from a debateable 'animal scrape'.

**** that shit.

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Was just saying that to the missus. If someone in the old boy's club at my Dad's course, had heard of "sporting advantage/integrity"...whatever, in the clubhouse afterwards, and it could impact  them in whatever minuscule way...they'd play merry shit. Probably not even entered in it either.

Some utter oddities out there, that despite their handicaps, think they're being kept off the European Tour Q School. :lol:

It is changing though.     Probably just a generational thing.     Some of the tales I heard from years ago about some titantic,   life or death struggle for survival in the 1st round of the Jake McTavish memorial quaich (Division C) were quite something.    

1 minute ago, Barack said:

I bet allowing knee height drops are driving the older generation mental. There's no stipulation how low to the ground you can go either...

:jjyay:

Aye.     They'll be keeping a beady eye on proceedings to make sure no miscreants are taking the piss and dropping from 10" instead of 14.    

37 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Nothing wrong with him at all.    A right good lad.    

I think it's much better nowadays than maybe 20-30 years ago.    Ties tend to be more sporting.     My dad's generation were a bunch of cut-throats who would sell their granny for a free drop from a debateable 'animal scrape'.

**** that shit.

I used to play with a guy who demanded that every tree on the course once had a stake so he should get a drop.....it was funny once...almost ?

The club I was a junior member at used to allow us to enter all men's competitions as long as we were a 15 handicap or lower or there abouts. I played a tie against a committee member in the Sir Benrnard Ponsinby Salver or some such nonsense. I was playing of 8 and he was of 12 or 13. Anyway he played like a ***** and I beat him 8&7.

The next committee meeting he table a motion to restrict junior members to their own competitions???

Qualified for the Club Championship at Gullane and playing the first round tonight.. He is a scratch golfer! ...... So

Whats the best way to talk someone out of their game? 

?

18 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Qualified for the Club Championship at Gullane and playing the first round tonight.. He is a scratch golfer! ...... So

?

You've got the (insert driver here)?    Tried that last week... couldn't hit it... everything hard left.    You've got (insert irons here)?    Had those... too high a launch angle... lost about 20 yards.    

Great shot.    I like the way you address the ball... unorthodox but it works.      Nice putt.     Good the way you hold off the right hand flick.

7 minutes ago, Barack said:

"Lose. Or I'm going to bum you in the locker room."

Yeah I'll endorse this instead.    Imminent threat of a bumming.

27 minutes ago, Barack said:

"Lose. Or I'm going to bum you in the locker room."

As you unzip the bag to reveal a roll of duck tape ?

Tommy Brown

I was getting gubbed in the semi final of the 2nd class. My opponent had just his wife a couple months earlier.

I mentioned to my mate caddying me, that it was maybe time to bring her up in the conversation.

I didn't and got horsed.

:sob:

2 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

?

From the outset, let your game do the talking.

5 minutes ago, Barack said:

:jjyay:

One for the clubhouse.....How did you get on Tam? Was struggling up the first and lost to a five but then the other boy got lifted by the polis so I'm claiming the tie...

Hang on Tam we will just need to check the club rules on that first.

Hi guys.. 

He was one of the best golfers I've played against - Not easy conditions, but OK out there - Think he was 4 under par for the front 9 playing off the blue, tiger (championship) tees on Gullane No. 1 - and I was 5 down having won 1 hole! 

He won the 10th easily and I shook his hand at that point - as it was closer to the clubhouse than the next 4 holes! 

Nice guy, told me about playing in the semi finals of the Scottish Amateur match plays and other high level games he's been involved in.  I can play golf but this guy was so long and straight (and you should have seen how he hit the ball - phnwarrrr - sorry) and consistent in everything he did. 

I think I will learn from this.  Maybe work on a more consistent pre-shot routine, as his was the same for everything.   The difference between me off 4 (3.7) and him as a scratch golfer (think he used to have a + handicap), was huge.  I knew it would be tough but I was surprised by the gulf.  I didn't play at my best but I would have had to have been as good as I can, and even then it would have been tough! . .

Experience....... hopefully I will learn and grow from it.  

6 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Hi guys.. 

He was one of the best golfers I've played against - Not easy conditions, but OK out there - Think he was 4 under par for the front 9 playing off the blue, tiger (championship) tees on Gullane No. 1 - and I was 5 down having won 1 hole! 

He won the 10th easily and I shook his hand at that point - as it was closer to the clubhouse than the next 4 holes! 

Nice guy, told me about playing in the semi finals of the Scottish Amateur match plays and other high level games he's been involved in.  I can play golf but this guy was so long and straight (and you should have seen how he hit the ball - phnwarrrr - sorry) and consistent in everything he did. 

I think I will learn from this.  Maybe work on a more consistent pre-shot routine, as his was the same for everything.   The difference between me off 4 (3.7) and him as a scratch golfer (think he used to have a + handicap), was huge.  I knew it would be tough but I was surprised by the gulf.  I didn't play at my best but I would have had to have been as good as I can, and even then it would have been tough! . .

At least you didn't get lifted ?. My handicap is similar to yours.....but rising, and the difference between that and playing a boy of scratch is scary ?. Once played a guy in a bounce game off flat who was plus 4. Game was done by the 11th. It was a joy to watch him.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, Barack said:

This news is disappointing to say the least.

You did nothing to intimidate him? Not even a wee finger in his bum, as he's lining up a putt? 

Going to have to threaten the next guy's kids or something. 

Didn't even produce a fairway mat to see what sort of reaction the guy would have given. That may have knocked him out of his pre-shot routine and became a leveller. 

hmfc_liam06
7 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Hi guys.. 

Unlucky mate. We've a couple young lads at our place off plus handicaps, as you say, it's a joy to watch them at times.

You're right about the difference. There's probably less a difference between the likes of myself off 16 and my mate off 6 than there would be between you two. Scary.

4 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Didn't even produce a fairway mat to see what sort of reaction the guy would have given. That may have knocked him out of his pre-shot routine and became a leveller. 

:rofl:

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Unlucky mate. We've a couple young lads at our place off plus handicaps, as you say, it's a joy to watch them at times.

You're right about the difference. There's probably less a difference between the likes of myself off 16 and my mate off 6 than there would be between you two. Scary.

Interesting point.    It would be hard to call either way.     I think it's a diffferent type of gulf.      The things that make the difference between a 6 and a 16 are different from those between a 4 and a very good scratch (by the sounds of it).

The scary thing is that there are even higher levels beyond that,   even before you get to tour pro standard.

9 hours ago, Barack said:

This news is disappointing to say the least.

You did nothing to intimidate him? Not even a wee finger in his bum, as he's lining up a putt? 

Going to have to threaten the next guy's kids or something. 

He did mention he had a 16 year old daughter and I almost thought about upping the stakes at that point... But that would be WAJ territory.... 

As with the difference between a 16 and a 6 handicapper.. I get that....

-   a 24 Handicapper will be short off the tee, cant reach most of the greens in regulation and will be in trouble every 2nd or 3rd hole.  They will 3 putt a lot but will pull off a few pars in a round. 

-  A  16 handicapper will have 2 or 3 horrendous holes in a game, and then some bad, some good.. Will get on lots of the par 4s in 2 and may have a few birdies.. 

-  A 4 handicapper is able to get on all the greens in regulation and tap in for par most of the way round... However will have 2 or 3 holes where he makes a mess of a shot, or ends up in the rough or bunker off the tee.. Will probably through in a double bogey or two.. But... will have 2 or 3 birdies and 2 or 3 other birdie attempts during the round, sometimes more

-  A scratch golfer expects to be on most greens in regulation.. They will have 10 really good birdie chances in a round where they have put their approach close.  They will miss a few greens, but their short game will be so good that they will recover.  They wont have double bogies very often at all. - They expect to have 4 or 5 birdies each time they play and will often have more.  

However - A scratch golfer against a mediocre tour pro from even the lower tours.... They will still be 5 or 6 shots worse than them.... 

7 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Still spearing the arse out the old chestnuts. Move on FFS! Mind you, twadugs still loves it.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Still spearing the arse out the old chestnuts. Move on FFS! Mind you, twadugs still loves it.

Not at all. A fairway mat is for life, not just the winter months.  

57 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Not at all. A fairway mat is for life, not just the winter months.  

Twadugs loves that one as well:rofl: 

Dont think old crooner pus liked it though

Weather was better in the winter than it was now, surely they can’t still be playing off grass at Kilspindie, mats must at least be out for bounce games, or hackers. Can’t damage those fairways.

48 minutes ago, SectionG said:

Weather was better in the winter than it was now, surely they can’t still be playing off grass at Kilspindie, mats must at least be out for bounce games, or hackers. Can’t damage those fairways.

After the rain today might need to pin the mats down to stop them floating away

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

After the rain today might need to pin the mats down to stop them floating away

Aye, I heard it was wet down that way, was down yesterday and seen the yellow warnings on the A1. Wasn’t nice up here, but think it was to be worse down that way

13 hours ago, merrymac said:

Twadugs loves that one as well:rofl: 

Dont think old crooner pus liked it though

You're correct for once...I didn't like it, I loved it. I'm truly grateful for all the attention from all the usual suspects, thank you.

1 hour ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

You're correct for once...I didn't like it, I loved it. I'm truly grateful for all the attention from all the usual suspects, thank you.

Oooh so cutting. Talking about being correct how are those prestine fairways?

Great movie - Usual suspects.

20 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Oooh so cutting. Talking about being correct how are those prestine fairways?

Great movie - Usual suspects.

Kilspindie is currently gorgeous, thanks for asking...prestine? don't what the **** your on about. Pristine on the other hand...

The movie? yes, I agree.

Club championships coming up.   Weather howling.   Course wet and heavy going.   No run for us moderate hitters (I really need the summer conditions,   personally).     Not been hitting all that well.    Driving consistency and accuracy is my forte and even that is less than optimal.     Holing out when quite close in,   up to mid range is another main plank of my game and once more it has been less than good.      Not really committing to shot on the irons as one should.     Add various chronic aches and pains to the melting pot of misery.

Expectations are... realistic.

There's a fine line between hitting your irons in a controlled way and becoming too ponderous.     Ideally hitting with confidence,   whether it be committing to a fuller shot or controlled knock-down shots.     As soon as you shy away from trusting your swing,   you're in trouble.    Look out bunker... here comes my ball.

Edited by Victorian

On 17/04/2019 at 01:20, Old Blue Eyes said:

Las Americas, del Sur & Adeje all playing short for this time of year, can't wait to get back to Kilspindie with a 15/20 mph westerly and the tight manicured prestine divot free fairways.

?? Only following your terminology Mr Eyes

Dont tell me you misspelled the word? thought it was some Kilspindie esq terminology :whistling:

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Club championships coming up.   Weather howling.   Course wet and heavy going.   No run for us moderate hitters (I really need the summer conditions,   personally).     Not been hitting all that well.    Driving consistency and accuracy is my forte and even that is less than optimal.     Holing out when quite close in,   up to mid range is another main plank of my game and once more it has been less than good.      Not really committing to shot on the irons as one should.     Add various chronic aches and pains to the melting pot of misery.

Expectations are... realistic.

Where are you a member of?

13 minutes ago, merrymac said:

?? Only following your terminology Mr Eyes

Dont tell me you misspelled the word? thought it was some Kilspindie esq terminology :whistling:

Touche! Twadugs.