Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'm 6'2 so already grip up near the top of my clubs. Will try the narrower stance next time though, cheers. 

Quite tall,  but gripping well up.    Could be your clubs are a tad short for you and you're stooping a bit.    The narrow stance is worth a go.    Maybe also concentrate on flexing the legs well and keeping a straight back.    Sitting in the shot.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Had a nightmare with the shanks recently. The last few rounds I've played they creep in for a few holes, destroy my scorecard, then **** off again without me having any clue as to why I started doing it.

Went to the range last night and hit 100 balls. Not a single shank. Guaranteed when I play on Sunday I shank one off the first tee. 

Faders of the golf ball rarely shank because the hosel is moving away from the ball (out to in swing path) Got a tip from my mate Butch, address the ball of the hosel, it monkeys with the brain which keeps the arms closer to the body. Another point to consider, shanks tend not to appear on full wedge shots, if close to the green always favour a full shot with more loft than a half swing with less loft. Good luck.

William H. Bonney
38 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Might have little to do with tee height.   Could be something else entirely.

Ideally a driver is a nice wide,  sweeping swing and striking the ball slightly beyond the bottim of the swing.    A choppier swing and hitting slightly on the downswing can cause it to balloon.

Address the ball in a line with the left heel.    Concentrate on getting as much width as you can.   

It’s started happening recently as I’ve really concentrated on reducing my swing speed. I have a tendency to lose control of my swing. I’m  6’5 and as I’m reminded constantly I don’t need to belt it. 

But all my concentration in keeping it straight has resulted in skying it. I’m still hitting the ball a good distance but it could be so much more if I kept it low. 

I guess I should be grateful that I’m no longer slicing the ball but it still irks me. 

39 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

It’s started happening recently as I’ve really concentrated on reducing my swing speed. I have a tendency to lose control of my swing. I’m  6’5 and as I’m reminded constantly I don’t need to belt it. 

But all my concentration in keeping it straight has resulted in skying it. I’m still hitting the ball a good distance but it could be so much more if I kept it low. 

I guess I should be grateful that I’m no longer slicing the ball but it still irks me. 

Sounds reasonable that the controlled swing is making you approach too steep.     Driver is always a shot for width and a shallow approach into the ball.    Strike slightly on the upswing.    You can reduce swing speed by being more compact.    A truncated backswing... but retaining the width.    More control by limiting the amount of wrist cock.     The wrists will cock and return as much as is necessary automatically.    

3 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Yeah, someone mentioned that. I keep getting told to use high tees but I wonder if a lower tee would help? 

I'd definitely try going lower if you are hitting the ball too high.

Edited by Ray Gin

Sorry to contradict but there's no point going for a lower tee until the cause has been established.    It could make things worse.     I know a player who can hit a driver off the deck and get a good,  high flight on it.     Tee height is only one variable.    Teeing it down can promote the hit being too early.    Not just on the upswing as it should be.    It normally also promotes a left to right shot.    A fade or cut.     Even if it's a manageable fade it's still a distance loser.

Get someone to look at how you're hitting first.    

William H. Bonney
10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Sorry to contradict but there's no point going for a lower tee until the cause has been established.    It could make things worse.     I know a player who can hit a driver off the deck and get a good,  high flight on it.     Tee height is only one variable.    Teeing it down can promote the hit being too early.    Not just on the upswing as it should be.    It normally also promotes a left to right shot.    A fade or cut.     Even if it's a manageable fade it's still a distance loser.

Get someone to look at how you're hitting first.    

If I hit a driver off the deck I get a low flight. 

All the different advice is one of the problems with golf. There are so many things that can go wrong. So many potential solutions. 

I’m playing a bounce game on Monday so I’m going to try everything mentioned by those who replied. 

4 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

If I hit a driver off the deck I get a low flight. 

All the different advice is one of the problems with golf. There are so many things that can go wrong. So many potential solutions. 

I’m playing a bounce game on Monday so I’m going to try everything mentioned by those who replied. 

Yes.  Not saying Ray Gin is wrong.  I might be wrong.   I am saying that tee height can be a red herring.   

If you can find a solution that enables a decent tee height then that's better.    You'll be a straighter hitter,   maybe even get a draw.     But width is everything off the tee.

William H. Bonney
7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yes.  Not saying Ray Gin is wrong.  I might be wrong.   I am saying that tee height can be a red herring.   

If you can find a solution that enables a decent tee height then that's better.    You'll be a straighter hitter,   maybe even get a draw.     But width is everything off the tee.

You’re right about width. I’m definitely guilty of being too steep with my back swing. 

Food for thought 

2 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

You’re right about width. I’m definitely guilty of being too steep with my back swing. 

Food for thought 

Feeling more confident in what I've suggested then.    It's something I've always concentrated on for tee shots.    I start the backswing and the one thought is to sweep back wide.     It pulls the left arm straight and enables the shoulder turn.

Tempo is another factor.    The mantra is that slow back = fast down.    Being too deliberate in the backswing can lead to hitting from the top.     Timing goes to pot.      Brisk on the way back should retain good tempo.

Tommy Brown
19 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Well done!

I will reassure you that getting below 12 isn't a struggle, it's just taking time out to look where you leak shots.  If I was you I would do the following (I done all this when i went up to 11 last season and I'm now off 6 10 months later, there are far better players on here than me but thought I would share!)

- Find out far far you hit each club - i'm talking paying to have it done and they'll give you a list of the carry distances and run out distance.

Should do that, bought new Ping irons last year and feel better with them.

- Take notes during a few practice rounds, where are your drives going? How far do you have into each hole? How many putts are you taking?  You might be 3 putting but actually that could be down to poor approach shots as opposed to poor putting.

Without doubt, close to the green is horrendous, would rather be in a bunker or 80 yards plus than 20 yards, under 20 yards texas wedge or I'm a mess.  Putting on the whole is decent, but I get twitchy when on a score. Tend to miss left.

- If you are serious about lowering your score then buy a laser (there's a cracker on Groupon called EasyGreen for £149) Got one

- Routine:  Have a routine and stick to it (based on the above) walk to your ball and take a yardage (120y) you know straight away that's a PW, stand behind the ball a pick a line, take a practice swing or 2 to feel the shot and commit.

I really need to get that done properly, agree.

- Stretch before a round, you need to be loose and ready to score from the start - plenty warm up videos online with maybe 3 or 4 stretches.

I am the world's worst for "just in time". I have plenty time, but piss about then leave the house with 5 minutes to get there. Jumping red lights and still putting my shoes on half way down the first fairway.

- Finally PRACTICE!  Putt putt and putt, even in the house, 30 minutes a couple of times a week, it strengthens your posture and trains your stroke.  Chip in the back garden to different areas.

19 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Good luck!

On the whole, game is in decent shape. Some days it goes haywire and I shoot in the 90's.

Trying to keep the swing consistency, keeping the Tempo.

Harry Potter
12 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Food for thought 

find this tee, total length 67 mm perfect for my M4 driver. 

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

find this tee, total length 67 mm perfect for my M4 driver. 

This one, for some reason pic would not upload from my good camera .

This one only 574 kb from my old camera. 

002.JPG

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

This one, for some reason pic would not upload from my good camera .

This one only 574 kb from my old camera. 

002.JPG

Looks massive!! White tees for me, about half that height. 

Harry Potter
2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Looks massive!! White tees for me, about half that height. 

What driver is Dino using, maybe a smaller head.

Nightmare today at Crow Wood. Put tee shots in the trees on five holes forcing me to just knock it out sideways, 3 off the tee twice, 3-putted 4 times, 4-putted the last. Some of the greens were brutal. 

No shanks though at least. :lol:

Also almost tanned someone's windscreen with a wayward drive on 18. Bounced on the road running down the left side a split second before a car came around the corner. Luckily the ball bounced right over it. 

5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Nightmare today at Crow Wood. Put tee shots in the trees on five holes forcing me to just knock it out sideways, 3 off the tee twice, 3-putted 4 times, 4-putted the last. Some of the greens were brutal. 

No shanks though at least. :lol:

Also almost tanned someone's windscreen with a wayward drive on 18. Bounced on the road running down the left side a split second before a car came around the corner. Luckily the ball bounced right over it. 

After yesterday, fair play for just getting on the golf course.

I'm over-golfed.  

Knackered - Played Gleneagles Queens today and it was hard work - Took on a risk/reward par 5 and took at 10... A 10... I cant remember the last time I had a 10 on a card (i'm off 4).  But my golf is all over the place.  There were 10 or 11 tap in pars, a couple of good birdies and some real nonsense going on as well... I have played 15 medals already this year, (3 next week) - been involved in 7 matchplay events ... I am knackered - I think I could do with a week or two away from it.. 

I have the yips in my chipping again - 

And I don't know if i'm going to hit a left to right or a right to left shot -  Or .... Straight!   I think I need to find enjoyment in the game again somehow! 

PS - I think i played 9 rounds in the last 8 days! 

27 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

First cut of the year tonight, 0.9 off down to 16.

Putter investment already paying off, well played ?

2nd rd main matchplay tie (bye in rd1).   Winner 2/1 after a late scare from 4 up.   Lad kneecapped me by chipping in to get back to 2.    Played ok but in truth,   had to rely on being gifted about 4 or 5 holes.

hmfc_liam06
12 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Putter investment already paying off, well played ?

Cheers ? 

Putting has improved massively. Still need to reduce the number of brain fart holes that are killing some scorecards at the minute. Getting there.

Harry Potter
5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Cheers ? 

Putting has improved massively. Still need to reduce the number of brain fart holes that are killing some scorecards at the minute. Getting there.

Even worse if its the start of the round, mind you seen me going for an 82 at carrick-knowe to get a 10 at the 17th, normally an easy 4.

Bunkers again.

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

Even worse if its the start of the round, mind you seen me going for an 82 at carrick-knowe to get a 10 at the 17th, normally an easy 4.

Bunkers again.

I actually don't mind if it comes early, plenty time to get it back. Mine are totally at random. I'll be sitting at +5 thru 8 or 9 then go put a 7 in on a par 3.

Harry Potter
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I actually don't mind if it comes early, plenty time to get it back. Mine are totally at random. I'll be sitting at +5 thru 8 or 9 then go put a 7 in on a par 3.

Sometimes its silly choices,  but thats golf, rather over club the par 3s and avoid bunkers at the front,  never easy to get it right.

27 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've played some of my best golf when I've had a meltdown on the front 9. No longer giving a **** about my score seems to help keep the shanks at bay. :lol: 

My best ever score over 9 holes (38) came after a 48 on the front 9, and I went out in 52, back in 41 a couple of weeks ago. 

hmfc_liam06
14 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I've played some of my best golf when I've had a meltdown on the front 9. No longer giving a **** about my score seems to help keep the shanks at bay. :lol: 

My best ever score over 9 holes (38) came after a 48 on the front 9, and I went out in 52, back in 41 a couple of weeks ago. 

I had an 8/8 start in a medal last year and managed to get cut :lol:

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Barack said:

What's that you've went from now? 24 to 16 in 18 months??

Wish I could play the amount you do. :(

This will be my 3rd season but aye down from 24 to 16. Hoping for 14 this year.

20 minutes ago, Barack said:

3rd is it. Still a good improvement. I'm *hoping when I put in for my handicap, it might still be around 16 despite, lack of playing.

*Secretly hoping for 20. :jjyay:

Disgusting behaviour ?

hmfc_liam06
26 minutes ago, Barack said:

3rd is it. Still a good improvement. I'm *hoping when I put in for my handicap, it might still be around 16 despite, lack of playing.

*Secretly hoping for 20. :jjyay:

Aye it's steady progress.

Where are you joining?

19 minutes ago, Barack said:

Morlais Castle. I live in South Wales, mate. 

I’ll be sure to ping an email to match and handicap with a link to this page ?

Tommy Brown

Bottle crashed last night. 

2x par 5's at 17 & 18 for a 67. (pretty straight forward holes)

6 & 7 with a ridiculous chip into the water from 100 yds at the last. The water is 10yds left of the green.

playing off 12, 11 pars 2 bogeys & 5 doubles :arghh:

hmfc_liam06
15 hours ago, Barack said:

No need, bud. ?  I've been keeping track of my rounds & stats with Golfshake.

Incase I played a course socially, where they get funny if you don't have an official handicap. Got the proof I'm not a 28 hacker. Had it before. 

I use the Hole 19 app for keeping track of my rounds. Useful for yardages if my watch dies, as it regularly does!

Samuel Camazzola

Kuchar being a dick again yesterday and making an arse of himself. He is cementing himself as the most disliked player on tour. 

Eddie Pepperell telling it as it is on Twitter too: 

48 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Kuchar being a dick again yesterday and making an arse of himself. He is cementing himself as the most disliked player on tour. 

Eddie Pepperell telling it as it is on Twitter too: 

Some theory he came out with.   Trying to bully officials like some of the much bigger guns and having an epic fail.     

Kuchar is fast becoming my most disliked golfer. Up there with Patrick Reed.

Edited by Ray Gin

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Kuchar is fast becoming my most disliked golfer. Up there with Patrick Reed.

I don't mind Pat. Also comes away from the PGA bubble each year and takes part in several European Tour events. 

Armageddon
On 28/05/2019 at 21:50, hmfc_liam06 said:

First cut of the year tonight, 0.9 off down to 16.

Top class! Keep it up ??

SO medal yesterday - 1st hole - Nice drive down the middle leaving 110 yrds.. . Easy wedge and ... BOOM - Shanked it into a bunker -   So naturally - took 2 to get out, then thinned a chip to the back of the green and luckily managed to get down in 2 for a nice triple bogey 7 to start with... 

On the 6th hole, 3 iron up the middle, 124 to the flag, 9 iron... BOOOOOOM Shanked it -   through the back right of the green - fluffed a couple of chips as my head was not in it - and a nice double bogey 6....... 

Its a horrible affliction - and it gives you the fear whenever you are holding a high iron. 

So shot a scratch 75, 4 over.... I could talk about the good stuff I done, like the 4 birdies or 7 tap in pars that could have dropped for birdy.... But no --- Like all other golfers - I WILL FOCUS ON THE BAD THINGS! 

rant over! 

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

SO medal yesterday - 1st hole - Nice drive down the middle leaving 110 yrds.. . Easy wedge and ... BOOM - Shanked it into a bunker -   So naturally - took 2 to get out, then thinned a chip to the back of the green and luckily managed to get down in 2 for a nice triple bogey 7 to start with... 

On the 6th hole, 3 iron up the middle, 124 to the flag, 9 iron... BOOOOOOM Shanked it -   through the back right of the green - fluffed a couple of chips as my head was not in it - and a nice double bogey 6....... 

Its a horrible affliction - and it gives you the fear whenever you are holding a high iron. 

So shot a scratch 75, 4 over.... I could talk about the good stuff I done, like the 4 birdies or 7 tap in pars that could have dropped for birdy.... But no --- Like all other golfers - I WILL FOCUS ON THE BAD THINGS! 

rant over! 

:lol:

I know how you feel. I started par, bogey, par today, get to the 4th and leather a drive to 80 yards. Proceed to thin a wedge about 150 yards OOB. Saved a 6. Still not too bad a start +3 thru 4...

135 yard par 3 next...a 6, a ****ing 6! 5 pars on the front 9 and finished +10. I'm actually playing some really good golf but I'm having 2 or 3 absolute horror show holes a round. 16 handicap, hit 7 pars and didn't even get buffer zone. Horrible.

hmfc_liam06
5 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Top class! Keep it up ??

Cheers Arma...sadly it's a 0.1 from today, see above :lol:

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Armageddon
19 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Cheers Arma...sadly it's a 0.1 from today, see above :lol:

Oh well - you're still getting there!

I feel like yourself and @Irufushi are part of my Titleist Stable ?

I'm not even in the queue for the cut train.    Can't even make buffer at the moment so the .1s are adding up.     7 of them going back into the season before last.      Insipid 82 at the weekend after a couple of doubles,   a few poor bogeys and only one bursdsy.     Only one par in the 11 holes after the 4th.     

A daysaver ticket on the bogey bus.

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Haha #TeamArma

Very frustrating as the ball striking on the whole is really good, just need to find the consistency to stop those random triple+ bogeys that are destroying any chance of a cut.

Planning on a few opens over the next 2 months so hopefully a change of scenery will help. Often times it's the knowing what you can't do at your own club that hinders me.

2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Haha , start backing us financially and I’ll join your stable. ?

The last few weeks have been awful. Steadily gone back up to 13.7? but then yesterday shot a scratch 76 for a net 62?. Waiting on howdidido results coming through to see how big a cut ive been given, the par is 71 but the css varies from 69 to 72 usually.?