Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

joondalupjambo

The pin being allowed to be left in was it not one of the measure being introduced to speed up play?  Ready golf was another.

Pin in is a choice and in our four balls two want pin and two out so unless you play ready golf it is longer on the greens.

The problem with playing ready golf on the greens is that you sometimes are standing on other people's line.

I like pin out always, the hole is bigger :pleased:  Well it looks bigger to me :pleased:

Anyway rule not thought through IMO for club golfers.

Unless everyone agrees on the first tee in or out then it takes as much time on the greens as before, if not more. 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Old Hearts
52 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

The pin being allowed to be left in was it not one of the measure being introduced to speed up play?  Ready golf was another.

Pin in is a choice and in our four balls two want pin and two out so unless you play ready golf it is longer on the greens.

The problem with playing ready golf on the greens is that you sometimes are standing on other people's line.

I like pin out always, the hole is bigger :pleased:  Well it looks bigger to me :pleased:

Unless everyone agrees on the first tee in or out then it takes as much time on the greens as before, if not more. 

I agree with this. The rule was brought in with the hope that it would help speed up play, and that on the odd occasion people would putt from long distance with pin in while playing partners are perhaps not around to tend the pin etc.

However, I am already fed up with people this season asking for pin to be put back in for a 10ft-15ft putt. ... Just get on with it ffs ??

1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

I find that we are a lot quicker now on the greens - If we are both at the front and the pin is at the back, we can put and not worry about having to walk back and forward to tend it.  Generally we will take if out for 10 foot or less puts.  

As for ready golf - It infuriates me when I am following a game and one player will get to their ball and stand and wait for another to hit their shot as they may be 10 yards further back.  After they have hit, they then start thinking about what shot it is they want to play.  They don't even have a club in their hands sometimes.  

Personally, I think you should be thinking about your shot before it is your turn to play, and if you are ready to go - just hit it.  I love that we have got rid of the honour system on the tee as well.  If you are off the green and ready to go - Hit the ball.. Brilliant and speeds it up. 

2 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

I find that we are a lot quicker now on the greens - If we are both at the front and the pin is at the back, we can put and not worry about having to walk back and forward to tend it.  Generally we will take if out for 10 foot or less puts.  

As for ready golf - It infuriates me when I am following a game and one player will get to their ball and stand and wait for another to hit their shot as they may be 10 yards further back.  After they have hit, they then start thinking about what shot it is they want to play.  They don't even have a club in their hands sometimes.  

Personally, I think you should be thinking about your shot before it is your turn to play, and if you are ready to go - just hit it.  I love that we have got rid of the honour system on the tee as well.  If you are off the green and ready to go - Hit the ball.. Brilliant and speeds it up. 

It should be automatic for every player to be preparing a shot at every opportunity.     If they're waiting they should be assessing their own shot,   not checking the football scores or social media horseshit.    I will always prefer to play in turn though because it tends to help that there's nobody moving around while you're playing your shot.     I've had a few bad experiences if that and it is infuriating.       

hmfc_liam06

SAM Lab session this afternoon at 1.30. Hopefully come away with the right putter for my shitty game :lol:

hmfc_liam06

Really worthwhile session. Showed that I was open on the back swing then closing it off quite a bit on the down swing. The guy recommended a toe hanging putter.

I've ended up with a Scotty Cameron 7M.

Was between that and the Odyssey #7 but the Scotty felt better.

hmfc_liam06
18 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Scottys always feel tremendous.     Hopefully the results match as that sounds expensive.

It was pretty reasonable as Scottys go, £200 I managed to snag it for. Selling my old putter for £40 so essentially got it for £160.

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It was pretty reasonable as Scottys go, £200 I managed to snag it for. Selling my old putter for £40 so essentially got it for £160.

Not bad but still a big hit for a wand.   Might be worth it of course.

hmfc_liam06
37 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Putter the most important club, sounds like a good deal , Liam ?

I agree, worth the investment definitely. A good putter will last for years.

FYI the Spider was the 3rd choice but didn't enjoy as much success as the other two. Tried the new navy one, a lovely looking putter too.

35 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

First medal with the putter and I'm feeling much more confident with it, no 3 putts.

:yas: nice one 

Tommy Brown
On 10/05/2019 at 17:21, hmfc_liam06 said:

I agree, worth the investment definitely. A good putter will last for years.

FYI the Spider was the 3rd choice but didn't enjoy as much success as the other two. Tried the new navy one, a lovely looking putter too.

Let us know when you put it on Gumtree :rolleyes:

Armageddon
On 10/05/2019 at 14:32, hmfc_liam06 said:

Really worthwhile session. Showed that I was open on the back swing then closing it off quite a bit on the down swing. The guy recommended a toe hanging putter.

I've ended up with a Scotty Cameron 7M.

Was between that and the Odyssey #7 but the Scotty felt better.

Great stuff! You'll keep the Scotty for life!

Take the old bat to Clubs 4 Cash at Bilston ??

hmfc_liam06
11 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Great stuff! You'll keep the Scotty for life!

Take the old bat to Clubs 4 Cash at Bilston ??

I'll just sell it on Facebook, bit of a trek for me to take a £30/£40 putter over there.

Had 2 rounds at the weekend and the only 3 putt was from a pissed off 2 foot, one handed putt after I'd made an arse of the hole. Getting used to the weight difference but it definitely feels great.

The two knockout comps in the club.    Draws have offered up one tie against a player I have to cough up 2 shots to but he's often better than his handicap.     The other one against one of the Summer League team members,   again better than his handicap and only 3 shots on offer.     Two different challenges.     I prefer these games to the ones where you're giving 6-7 shots away blind.     Better to have some knowledge of the opposition.     Normally do well against the cat1 players and another scalp is a good incentive.     

hmfc_liam06
13 hours ago, Victorian said:

The two knockout comps in the club.    Draws have offered up one tie against a player I have to cough up 2 shots to but he's often better than his handicap.     The other one against one of the Summer League team members,   again better than his handicap and only 3 shots on offer.     Two different challenges.     I prefer these games to the ones where you're giving 6-7 shots away blind.     Better to have some knowledge of the opposition.     Normally do well against the cat1 players and another scalp is a good incentive.     

I've got a 4ball tie tonight. Apparently one of the opposition is a well known handicap protector and constantly reaches the latter stages of every match play comp every year.

Armageddon
38 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've got a 4ball tie tonight. Apparently one of the opposition is a well known handicap protector and constantly reaches the latter stages of every match play comp every year.

Make sure you pump him!

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Armageddon said:

Make sure you pump him!

Hopefully! Need to drive the ball better than I did at the weekend but fingers crossed. Good night for it at least.

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Could be awkward in a 4-ball.    Foursomes is harder for a bandit to operate in unless both of them are to some degree.     What can sometimes happen in a 4-ball is that the so-called bandit can either be the reliable one always in play at every hole with the other one chipping in the occasional contribution.     Or indeed the other wsy around.     A 4-ball pair dovetailing perfectly can be hard to beat.

hmfc_liam06
4 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Played Bathgate today for the first time. Nice course. Greens are superb. 

They were superb when I played it in March.

hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Putted him off the course...?

:jjyay:

Haha not quite but everything was pretty decent, I played to 3 under my HC for the round.

They were 3 up through 7. The bandit was +4 scratch thru 8! We won 8-14 to go 4 up with 4 to play. He drained a monster on 15 to take it back to 3 but my partner chipped in on 16 for the 4&2. It was utterly glorious seeing them unravel in that 7 hole spell. Clubs launched, the lot :lol:

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Barack said:

What was he claiming he played off?

20. He was at it from the off, claiming it was 100% of handicap as well.

He also jumped all over a gimmie after I asked my partner if their putt was good or not.

Me - Is that good?
Him - (Couldn't pick up his ball quick enough) He's called it, it's good, you can't take it back.

Arse! A very satisfying win.

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Barack said:

Sounds like he's a well known fud.

I don't have an official handicap for numerous reasons. My Dad's the Captain at St. Fillan's, & when I'm home I'll go out with him(18) & the old boy's that play.

Sometimes, like recently, it was the Captain's Texas Scramble & I was allowed to play. I was given 18, due to the fact I play very very seldom, & the old boy's have seen me play before. I can have good days obviously, but with lack of practise they felt giving me that was fair. There would be no grumbles from other team's if we'd won it.

Same if I play with them & they have a game on where there's something to play for. If I won it, I'd obviously be discounted. 

Guys like who you played with give us social golfers a bad name. Toss-box. Glad you jumped him!

Aye definitely a well know fud. There were about 6 or 7 guys in the clubhouse as we finished up, first thing they asked was "did you beat that bandit *****". Says it all.

Disser Pointon

Just back from 7 nights 6 rounds in Belek, terrific courses and my liver and waistline are both wrecked!

hmfc_liam06
13 minutes ago, Barack said:

Bandit prick.

:seething:

Cheers Prez :lol:

Beat the club captain today, he's threatened to cut me :rofl:

Tommy Brown

Played Linlithgow Open, timed perfectly to start when the rain stopped, got perfect conditions.

Really good greens.

Played solid for 8 (5 pars, 3 bogeys) then could not buy a par (a further 9 bogeys) with a superblob 9 at par 5 (2 balls lost into gorse):sob:

Because the visitor css was 72 I manage a 0.3 cut, should have been a lot more.:arghh:

Winner was a 67-5=62, a cracking score.

hmfc_liam06
7 hours ago, Barack said:

Sounds like a very violent club you go to, mate.

:rofl:

If you've ever been to Lochgelly, you'll know!

Tommy Brown

After mucking up at the weekend, good 65 midweek 

cut from 14 to 12 (1.2 actual) 

Should have been more over the two rounds, getting there again.

getting below 12 is a struggle, though.

Had a nightmare with the shanks recently. The last few rounds I've played they creep in for a few holes, destroy my scorecard, then **** off again without me having any clue as to why I started doing it.

Went to the range last night and hit 100 balls. Not a single shank. Guaranteed when I play on Sunday I shank one off the first tee. 

Armageddon
52 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

After mucking up at the weekend, good 65 midweek 

cut from 14 to 12 (1.2 actual) 

Should have been more over the two rounds, getting there again.

getting below 12 is a struggle, though.

Well done!

I will reassure you that getting below 12 isn't a struggle, it's just taking time out to look where you leak shots.  If I was you I would do the following (I done all this when i went up to 11 last season and I'm now off 6 10 months later, there are far better players on here than me but thought I would share!)

- Find out far far you hit each club - i'm talking paying to have it done and they'll give you a list of the carry distances and run out distance.

- Take notes during a few practice rounds, where are your drives going? How far do you have into each hole? How many putts are you taking?  You might be 3 putting but actually that could be down to poor approach shots as opposed to poor putting.

- If you are serious about lowering your score then buy a laser (there's a cracker on Groupon called EasyGreen for £149)

- Routine:  Have a routine and stick to it (based on the above) walk to your ball and take a yardage (120y) you know straight away that's a PW, stand behind the ball a pick a line, take a practice swing or 2 to feel the shot and commit.

- Stretch before a round, you need to be loose and ready to score from the start - plenty warm up videos online with maybe 3 or 4 stretches.

- Finally PRACTICE!  Putt putt and putt, even in the house, 30 minutes a couple of times a week, it strengthens your posture and trains your stroke.  Chip in the back garden to different areas.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Well done!

I will reassure you that getting below 12 isn't a struggle, it's just taking time out to look where you leak shots.  If I was you I would do the following (I done all this when i went up to 11 last season and I'm now off 6 10 months later, there are far better players on here than me but thought I would share!)

- Find out far far you hit each club - i'm talking paying to have it done and they'll give you a list of the carry distances and run out distance.

- Take notes during a few practice rounds, where are your drives going? How far do you have into each hole? How many putts are you taking?  You might be 3 putting but actually that could be down to poor approach shots as opposed to poor putting.

- If you are serious about lowering your score then buy a laser (there's a cracker on Groupon called EasyGreen for £149)

- Routine:  Have a routine and stick to it (based on the above) walk to your ball and take a yardage (120y) you know straight away that's a PW, stand behind the ball a pick a line, take a practice swing or 2 to feel the shot and commit.

- Stretch before a round, you need to be loose and ready to score from the start - plenty warm up videos online with maybe 3 or 4 stretches.

- Finally PRACTICE!  Putt putt and putt, even in the house, 30 minutes a couple of times a week, it strengthens your posture and trains your stroke.  Chip in the back garden to different areas.

Good luck!

And buy yer gear from Armageddon ?

hmfc_liam06
4 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Had a nightmare with the shanks recently. The last few rounds I've played they creep in for a few holes, destroy my scorecard, then **** off again without me having any clue as to why I started doing it.

Went to the range last night and hit 100 balls. Not a single shank. Guaranteed when I play on Sunday I shank one off the first tee. 

My bad shot so I've plenty experience with them.

It happens for me when I get on my toes and I end up leaning in on the downswing (I'm also prone to addressing the ball to closely). I've found for me, when addressing the ball, that taking a slight step back and positioning the ball slightly toe of centre works.

It happens for me when I get on my toes and I end up leaning in on the downswing (I'm also prone to addressing the ball to closely). I've found for me, when addressing the ball, that taking a slight step back and positioning the ball slightly toe of centre works.

This.   It's a very common cause of the Shermans.     Weight shift forward at the top or on the way down.     A hanging lie is a typical hazard of the weight going forward.    Equally,    ball above the feet can cause the same thing.

There is no universal panacea for the shanks.    Unfortunately.    Addressing off the toe can be a sticking plaster but it can cause other woes.     

I try that whenever they creep in and it seems to make it even worse. 

shrug-house.gif

Gripping very slightly up the grip or narrowing the stance a bit are probably better.    Gripping up a little bit helps to keep you upright.     Narrower stance helps to keep your legs more passive through the shot.

William H. Bonney

My biggest problem right now is I hit my drives far too high. I mean really high. 

I went from the white tees to the pink ones recently but someone mentioned I should try the orange ones. 

Anybody got any advice? Should I perhaps narrow my stance a bit? 

32 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Gripping very slightly up the grip or narrowing the stance a bit are probably better.    Gripping up a little bit helps to keep you upright.     Narrower stance helps to keep your legs more passive through the shot.

I'm 6'2 so already grip up near the top of my clubs. Will try the narrower stance next time though, cheers. 

9 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

My biggest problem right now is I hit my drives far too high. I mean really high. 

I went from the white tees to the pink ones recently but someone mentioned I should try the orange ones. 

Maybe move the ball back an inch in your stance?

9 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Might have little to do with tee height.   Could be something else entirely.

Ideally a driver is a nice wide,  sweeping swing and striking the ball slightly beyond the bottim of the swing.    A choppier swing and hitting slightly on the downswing can cause it to balloon.

Address the ball in a line with the left heel.    Concentrate on getting as much width as you can.   

William H. Bonney
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Maybe move the ball back an inch in your stance?

Yeah, someone mentioned that. I keep getting told to use high tees but I wonder if a lower tee would help?