Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Samuel Camazzola
12 minutes ago, dicksojo said:

Starting to think I need a new set of irons (currently using mizuno mx300) and I think I’ll go for a fitting to get them. Last year I got a new driver from Scott Gourlay but I was thinking of just going to American Golf for the irons. Alternatively, I could go up to Gleneagles and get fitted for a new set of mizzys. Does anyone have any recommendations?

As an aside the new Ping i500s look gorgeous.

Mizuno JPX919 are possibly the best looking irons on the market just now. Cracking reviews from each of the models on offer. 

The JPX 900 are still available too and will likely be reduced. 

"Nothing feels like a Mizuno". ? 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Mizuno JPX919 are possibly the best looking irons on the market just now. Cracking reviews from each of the models on offer. 

The JPX 900 are still available too and will likely be reduced. 

"Nothing feels like a Mizuno". ? 

That’s the thing, I think the jpx919 forged look really good and probably give me the forgiveness I need but my head has definitely been turned by those ping i 500s.

2 hours ago, dicksojo said:

That’s the thing, I think the jpx919 forged look really good and probably give me the forgiveness I need but my head has definitely been turned by those ping i 500s.

I’m with you on this, would definitely go to Scott for fitting on irons, but don’t think he stocks Ping and I am a real fan of these new i500’s not saying they’ll be best for me, but would definitely like the chance to see the numbers as they’re beautiful irons.

9 hours ago, SectionG said:

I’m with you on this, would definitely go to Scott for fitting on irons, but don’t think he stocks Ping and I am a real fan of these new i500’s not saying they’ll be best for me, but would definitely like the chance to see the numbers as they’re beautiful irons.

The trouble I am having is finding a place where I can try the mizzy 919 forged alongside the i500s. At the moment I am being swayed by the looks of the i500 even though my head says mizzy. 

What a conundrum, I’ve even got blessing from the wife to get a new set but struggling to choose which one.

The Mighty Thor
14 hours ago, dicksojo said:

I liked the look of the mizunos and went to try them and didn't like them same with the Taylor made p790. The back of the iron is huge. 

I'm still trying to decide on new irons but the way it's going it'll be another season with the current irons. ☹

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, dicksojo said:

The trouble I am having is finding a place where I can try the mizzy 919 forged alongside the i500s. At the moment I am being swayed by the looks of the i500 even though my head says mizzy. 

What a conundrum, I’ve even got blessing from the wife to get a new set but struggling to choose which one.

Do American Golf not have them both? You could at least go along there to try them out.

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Do American Golf not have them both? You could at least go along there to try them out.

That’s the plan. Can’t find any “reputable” fitters that will do both. Will let you know how I get on.

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I liked the look of the mizunos and went to try them and didn't like them same with the Taylor made p790. The back of the iron is huge. 

I'm still trying to decide on new irons but the way it's going it'll be another season with the current irons. ☹

Was it possibly the 919 Hot Metal you looked at? The 919 Forged are quite neat. 

The Mighty Thor
51 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Was it possibly the 919 Hot Metal you looked at? The 919 Forged are quite neat. 

No it was the forged. I play Wilson Staff V4 Forged and they've got a really small head as far as it goes.

Just got fitted at American Golf. Felt a little bad as I would have liked to go to a “proper” fitter but nowhere had the stock I wanted to try. Used the swing dna thing and focussed on 3 shaft types, all stiff. Tried jpx 919 forged, i500 and p790. The trackman numbers definitely favoured the i500s but I was a little sceptical regarding this. However, the dispersion, feel and forgiveness from the i500 blew me away. I was kind of pleased as I really liked the look of the i500s anyway. Ordered them there and then with a small change to make them 1 degree upright. Shaft I ended up with was project x lz 6.0.

Fingers crossed they perform as well on the course!

Samuel Camazzola

Just got fitted at American Golf. Felt a little bad as I would have liked to go to a “proper” fitter but nowhere had the stock I wanted to try. Used the swing dna thing and focussed on 3 shaft types, all stiff. Tried jpx 919 forged, i500 and p790. The trackman numbers definitely favoured the i500s but I was a little sceptical regarding this. However, the dispersion, feel and forgiveness from the i500 blew me away. I was kind of pleased as I really liked the look of the i500s anyway. Ordered them there and then with a small change to make them 1 degree upright. Shaft I ended up with was project x lz 6.0.

Good stuff. 

The leading brands don't make duff clubs and no doubt if you had the opportunity, to try various on technology like TrackMan, you'll find several that'll produce similar numbers once you've trialled different shaft and loft types. It'll essentially come down to preference of look and budget. 

What did you go with 4/5 iron to wedge? 

Set of new wedges next since you've got the shopping bug? ?

Samuel Camazzola

On another note, The Players is heating up nicely on the back 9! Four way lead at - 14 including Rahm, McIlroy, Pepperell and Furyk. Three others one back including Fleetwood. Few guys bunched at - 12 too! 

9 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

On another note, The Players is heating up nicely on the back 9! Four way lead at - 14 including Rahm, McIlroy, Pepperell and Furyk. Three others one back including Fleetwood. Few guys bunched at - 12 too! 

Pepperell and Vegas putts on 17 :wow:

Samuel Camazzola
6 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Pepperell and Vegas putts on 17 :wow:

They were like the ones you get on Himalayas putting green. 

hmfc_liam06

I'd rather buy clubs that felt good and a consistent dispersion rather than clubs that are a bit longer but more inconsistent. 

When I tried out a few, I hit TaylorMade the furthest but I was never that comfy with them. Ended up with Titleist AP1's.

William H. Bonney

The audio on sky sports is ****ing annoying. 

Jason day misses a putt but the groans were heard before he struck the ball. 

Samuel Camazzola
11 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

The audio on sky sports is ****ing annoying. 

Jason day misses a putt but the groans were heard before he struck the ball. 

Their US golf feed is from NBC so audio won't be their doing. 

Samuel Camazzola

Very professional and convincing stuff from Rory. Got to be favourite for a Green Jacket and completion of the Grand Slam. 

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Good stuff. 

The leading brands don't make duff clubs and no doubt if you had the opportunity, to try various on technology like TrackMan, you'll find several that'll produce similar numbers once you've trialled different shaft and loft types. It'll essentially come down to preference of look and budget. 

What did you go with 4/5 iron to wedge? 

Set of new wedges next since you've got the shopping bug? ?

4-PW. Think I’ll be barred from buying anymore golf gear for a good long while now!

3 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Royal Dornoch on Sunday, weather looking ropey , but who cares , it’s Royal Dornoch !?

Lucky guy.

Played it a few years ago, one of the best.

4 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Royal Dornoch on Sunday, weather looking ropey , but who cares , it’s Royal Dornoch !?

Used to be a member there. Broke my heart having to give it up (couldn't justify cost for occasional visits).

Best collective set of Par 3's in golf.

Tommy Brown
6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Who's the Pumpherston members on here? Course in decent nick? Likely playing it tomorrow.

Not been up for a few weeks. Been reasonably dry and windy so should dried out a bit after getting closed last weekend.

Personally wouldn't recommend it for a winter game, Summer definitely.

As I posted a few weeks ago during the mat debate, this year is the first year that I can remember not having mats.

The course hasn't suffered for it.

1 hour ago, Old Hearts said:

Used to be a member there. Broke my heart having to give it up (couldn't justify cost for occasional visits).

Best collective set of Par 3's in golf.

Been a few years since I played it, used to try and get up for at least one open a season. 

Par 3’s are class. 

22 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Not been up for a few weeks. Been reasonably dry and windy so should dried out a bit after getting closed last weekend.

Personally wouldn't recommend it for a winter game, Summer definitely.

As I posted a few weeks ago during the mat debate, this year is the first year that I can remember not having mats.

The course hasn't suffered for it.

image.jpeg.37d74174011f367c92aca54119989476.jpeg Tommy - for god sake!! it all been quiet for a few days :whistling:

Tommy Brown

19 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Who's the Pumpherston members on here? Course in decent nick? Likely playing it tomorrow.

Forgot to mention, say hello to big Stevie, who runs the bar, another good Jambo.

He likes to read JKB

Tommy Brown

http://www.pumpherstongolfclub.co.uk/page.aspx?pid=20369

If anyone fancies membership at Pumpherston.

I can get you £100 off your first year full membership. I don't think there are any reductions on other types

PM me if interested

Adult full £645.00
Adult aged 25-29 years £375.00
Adult aged 22-24 years £250.00
Adult aged 19-21 years £150.00
Adult 5-Day member £451.00

Just as ive started improving and my scores have been coming down ever slightly over the last few weeks I play 5s and pick up a rib injury. Back to terrible slices and 3 putts in few weeks then ?

Samuel Camazzola

Glorious day for gowf today. ☀ 

Played the Castle Course and have to say it is right up there for one of the best courses I've played. 

The layout is superb and the slopes on some of the greens are unreal. Aesthetically, it's comparable with Whistling Straits. 

The course only opened for the season three weeks ago and the condition was good. It can only get better as we move into the growing season. 

A special mention to the 17th. Its worth the wait to play that! Will definitely be back! 

7 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Ended up at West Lothian today after the Golf Show. 

Greens were pretty terrible.

Few years since I’ve played it, although they were always pretty decent. Should be back on full course too rather than the winter course.

Was always a nice challenge, although a few quirky holes and not the easiest walk.

hmfc_liam06
6 hours ago, SectionG said:

Few years since I’ve played it, although they were always pretty decent. Should be back on full course too rather than the winter course.

Was always a nice challenge, although a few quirky holes and not the easiest walk.

Yeah first day back to full course.

I'd played part of it years ago, we had an outing there and it got rained off at the 6th.

Thought it was ok, some good holes as you say but that 8th is brutal :lol:

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah first day back to full course.

I'd played part of it years ago, we had an outing there and it got rained off at the 6th.

It’s only a 5 or 6 iron then a wedge, worst thing about it is there is only 1 way to play it

Tommy Brown
10 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

:lol:

The Coffin.

Named because of the shape of the green, not the cardiac hill, honest.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

:lol:

The Coffin.

Named because of the shape of the green, not the cardiac hill, honest.

Bit of a nonsense hole to be honest.

Paul Casey about to do his usual?

Lasted a bit longer than other efforts.

Play off looks a possibilty?

The Mighty Thor

Played the old course today. Won a watch with the weather. 

Course was a bit short but playing really well. ?

On 25/03/2019 at 18:33, The Mighty Thor said:

Played the old course today. Won a watch with the weather. 

Course was a bit short but playing really well. ?

Aye well done on the weather, it is a 'must play' but for me i would advise against rushing to play it, and never play it at peak time unless you're minted, I can only really remember holes 1, 17 and 18.  I played it on the 2nd January, didn't even plan it, just walked up after the Fairmont was closed ... 40 minutes later and £88 down I tee'd off with my dad.

Dornoch was class on Sunday, weather got a bit ropey for a few holes on the back nine, thoroughly enjoyed it and I’m annoyed at myself for not playing it more often as I’m not too far away. 

hmfc_liam06

Really struggling with the irons just now, all over the place. One shot will be left, next right, next chunked...never straight :lol:

Just when every other club is ticking!

Short notice. 

£30 charity game at Gullane tomorrow. The are 3 spaces.  1 on number 1 and 2 ok number 2. 

PM me, asap if you're interested. 

Edited by Bigsmak

hmfc_liam06
18 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Short notice. 

£30 charity game at Gullane tomorrow. The are 3 spaces.  1 on number 1 and 2 ok number 2. 

PM me, asap if you're interested. 

Damn....wish I'd seen this yesterday.

Played the Captain v Vice Captain today, we lost 2&1 in what was a great game. I actually hit the irons really sweet today, dispersion out a little but nowhere near as bad as the last 3 rounds.

hmfc_liam06
6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Freebie at Bathgate today, cracking weather for it.

Cracking course, really enjoyed it. Greens are absolutely outstanding, couldn't believe how good they are for March.

On 30/03/2019 at 12:02, Old Blue Eyes said:

Only 4 Americans left in the WGC-Matchplay...c'mon the rest of the world!

Oops !

All American final.

Jinxed it there Frankie boy:mw_rolleyes:

Samuel Camazzola
13 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Oops !

All American final.

Jinxed it there Frankie boy:mw_rolleyes:

Hopefully Kisner wins it. Kuchar cemented his cock status with the way he dealt with the Sergio incident.