Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

On 15/02/2019 at 13:57, Old Blue Eyes said:

A massive tim you say? Ask him when he last paid a visit to Parkhead. His brother? No.

Here OBE - my mate at Kilspindie is on their Junior What's App group chat, he messaged to say one of the dad's has posted they were shouted at by some fat Mat Nazi on the par 3 11th yesterday, the young lad was playing a bump and run from 3 yards off the back of the green.  Is wasn't you was it??!!!  He's expecting repercussions as the boy was told to do one!

Please don't say it was you! ;)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Here OBE - my mate at Kilspindie is on their Junior What's App group chat, he messaged to say one of the dad's has posted they were shouted at by some fat Mat Nazi on the par 3 11th yesterday, the young lad was playing a bump and run from 3 yards off the back of the green.  Is wasn't you was it??!!!  He's expecting repercussions as the boy was told to do one!

No, wisnae me!

Highly likely the youngster has been watching you playing from the 1st cut and deemed it to be ok...six years FFS! ;)

7 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

No, wisnae me!

Highly likely the youngster has been watching you playing from the 1st cut and deemed it to be ok...six years FFS! ;)

A ken!  I will say though, the first cut is REALLY short these days - it's great! :)  Joking, we all played off the mats yesterday, early doors so you've made a difference ya big mat nazi!!! :) 

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

Should have putted it IMO

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

A ken!  I will say though, the first cut is REALLY short these days - it's great! :)  Joking, we all played off the mats yesterday, early doors so you've made a difference ya big mat nazi!!! :) 

To be fair, majority of the 1st & 2nd cuts are difficult to define. "Matt Nazi" I love that! :clap:

My club have just announced a reciprocal deal with a few clubs, have only played one so I'll hopefully get a few of them under my belt this year.

Linlithgow (played), Bathgate, Airdie, Merchants of Edinburgh, Kirkliston, Eastwood & Hayston.

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

My club have just announced a reciprocal deal with a few clubs, have only played one so I'll hopefully get a few of them under my belt this year.

Linlithgow (played), Bathgate, Airdie, Merchants of Edinburgh, Kirkliston, Eastwood & Hayston.

Get yourself up to Merchants.    It's... different.    But well worth a visit for the shit and giggles.     Very enjoyable as long as you can hit it straight.     Tricky but not as punishing as The Braids if not straight.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Merchants is one of the few I've never played in Edinburgh. They were never in the same section for team matches.

Driven through it often enough and it seems one long leg and one short leg is needed for the holes near the road. ?

Do these courses share the same founding year as yours or something as it's quite a random selection? 

Played my first home Winter sweep on Saturday.

I had one of only three 2's recorded.

Each hole that get's a 2 goes into a draw.

My hole (4th) got drawn, I was the only one to have a 2 at it.

£72 happy ****ing days.

:jambobanana:

34 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Merchants is one of the few I've never played in Edinburgh. They were never in the same section for team matches.

Driven through it often enough and it seems one long leg and one short leg is needed for the holes near the road. ?

Do these courses share the same founding year as yours or something as it's quite a random selection? 

I think the pro at one of the clubs involved put feelers out to various clubs about a deal and those were the ones who were up for it. Decent wee benefit.

Samuel Camazzola
8 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I think the pro at one of the clubs involved put feelers out to various clubs about a deal and those were the ones who were up for it. Decent wee benefit.

It's the kind of things clubs need to try to freshen things up. May lead to annual matches between clubs in rotational basis. 

Lothianburn had a couple of link-ups when I was there. They had a tie in with clubs formed in the same year throughout the UK. They were also part of the Braid trail involving clubs also designed by James Braid. 

Sadly, Lothianburn is no more... ?

5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You will enjoy the Merchants if you have one leg longer than the other,and don't suffer from vertigo :mw_rolleyes:

Bathgate is pretty good and Hayston is worth a visit.

Just now, merrymac said:

You will enjoy the Merchants if you have one leg longer than the other,and don't suffer from vertigo :mw_rolleyes:

Bathgate is pretty good and Hayston is worth a visit.

Haha I'm guessing Merchants is somewhat hilly then?

I've no doubt me and my mate will get around all 7 at some point this year. Hayston and Kirkintilloch are right next door to each other so we'll do 2 in a day.

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

Haha I'm guessing Merchants is somewhat hilly then?

I've no doubt me and my mate will get around all 7 at some point this year. Hayston and Kirkintilloch are right next door to each other so we'll do 2 in a day.

Got it in one, a few holes on the side of hills and square greens cut into the hillside which makes short game tough. These is one par three that you tee off from the top of the hill (mountain!!) to a green way below.Spectacular but you do need to be a mountain goat to get down though.

Hayston and Kirky are both worth a visit, nice day out.

Where is the course at Kirkliston?

1 minute ago, merrymac said:

Got it in one, a few holes on the side of hills and square greens cut into the hillside which makes short game tough. These is one par three that you tee off from the top of the hill (mountain!!) to a green way below.Spectacular but you do need to be a mountain goat to get down though.

Hayston and Kirky are both worth a visit, nice day out.

Where is the course at Kirkliston?

Sounds interesting.

Sorry, I said Kirkliston but meant Kirkintilloch.

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sounds interesting.

Sorry, I said Kirkliston but meant Kirkintilloch.

Ah sorry should have realised. Its quite short but pretty tricky. Greens are usually pretty good and quick if you don,t go too early in the season?

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Whats the script with Kuchar, watching the mexico championship and fans are booing him, 

Not the 1st time, what has he done.

Not boos. It's a play on his surname. Kuchar becomes kuuuuuuch. 

8 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Cheers mate, certainly seemed strange, all clear now.

10 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Whats the script with Kuchar, watching the mexico championship and fans are booing him, 

Not the 1st time, what has he done.

9 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Might be boos this time - been all over the papers regarding Kucher stiffing a Mexican caddie when he won the Miyakobi Classic last year.

11 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Might be boos this time - been all over the papers regarding Kucher stiffing a Mexican caddie when he won the Miyakobi Classic last year.

interesting .

Yes, it’s boos this time and was booed last week, only gave caddy $5k despite winning over $mil. Then apparently made disparaging remarks about the caddy’s income. Although apparently he has now paid the caddy the 10% going rate.

7 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

interesting .

Instead of talking about golf, Kuchar, long a fan favorite, had to address his payment to David 'El Tucan' Ortiz, who was a fill-in caddie for Kuchar when he won the Mayakoba Golf Classic and its $1.3 million first prize last year.

Kuchar originally paid Ortiz $5,000 for his week's work — a deal the two agreed upon. But when news broke of the sum — which accounted for less than 0.4 percent of Kuchar's winnings, far below the standard 10 percent ($130,000) regular Tour caddies receive when their boss wins — Kuchar came under intense criticism.

At first, Kuchar defended his payment, which led to more criticism that he was out of touch, cheap and insensitive. Then he doubled down, and as some said on social media, he kept putting his own feet in his mouth. Fans at Riviera hurled biting remarks at Kuchar throughout his four rounds.

Upon reflection — he said he cringed when he read the words of his defense — Kuchar had a change of heart.

"Listen, I was stubborn, hard-headed," Kuchar said last week. "In my mind, I had it as 'a deal is a deal.' But after I won the tournament, a deal wasn't a deal. Any transaction, all parties should come out feeling like they've won, and certainly in David's case he did not feel like he won in that situation.

"I need to make it right. It's as simple as that."

Kuchar sent an additional $45,000 to Ortiz and made a charitable contribution to the Mayakoba Golf Classic.

2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Instead of talking about golf, Kuchar, long a fan favorite, had to address his payment to David 'El Tucan' Ortiz, who was a fill-in caddie for Kuchar when he won the Mayakoba Golf Classic and its $1.3 million first prize last year.

Kuchar originally paid Ortiz $5,000 for his week's work — a deal the two agreed upon. But when news broke of the sum — which accounted for less than 0.4 percent of Kuchar's winnings, far below the standard 10 percent ($130,000) regular Tour caddies receive when their boss wins — Kuchar came under intense criticism.

At first, Kuchar defended his payment, which led to more criticism that he was out of touch, cheap and insensitive. Then he doubled down, and as some said on social media, he kept putting his own feet in his mouth. Fans at Riviera hurled biting remarks at Kuchar throughout his four rounds.

Upon reflection — he said he cringed when he read the words of his defense — Kuchar had a change of heart.

"Listen, I was stubborn, hard-headed," Kuchar said last week. "In my mind, I had it as 'a deal is a deal.' But after I won the tournament, a deal wasn't a deal. Any transaction, all parties should come out feeling like they've won, and certainly in David's case he did not feel like he won in that situation.

"I need to make it right. It's as simple as that."

Kuchar sent an additional $45,000 to Ortiz and made a charitable contribution to the Mayakoba Golf Classic.

Thats not good press is it.

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

Thats not good press is it.

Nope - think he will be eating humble pie for a while yet.

Will need thick skin in Mexico this week !!

William H. Bonney
36 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Nope - think he will be eating humble pie for a while yet.

Will need thick skin in Mexico this week !!

Perhaps it is boos after all. 

Refreshment Barrier
On 10/02/2019 at 09:58, Harry Potter said:

Obviously did not miss my money, and as for reading their dress code, is it on a sign outside., lovely course i had returned 

after a game a few months previously, never been back. 

No problem wearing shorts at Kilspindie 

Refreshment Barrier
On 10/02/2019 at 11:05, Tommy Brown said:

@Old Blue Eyes

My annoyance of Kilspindie, is that to play in their open, you must have membership of an East Lothian course.

Strange one IMO

It's not an 'open', nor is it called an open, it's the Hope Medal. If it was an open you could enter

2 hours ago, Refreshment Barrier said:

It's not an 'open', nor is it called an open, it's the Hope Medal. If it was an open you could enter

:lol:, pedantic or what?

It's open to non-members but only members of other East Lothian Clubs

and entry form is found in "Open Events" section

https://www.kilspindiegolfclub.co.uk/visitors/#openevents

Refreshment Barrier
7 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

:lol:, pedantic or what?

It's open to non-members but only members of other East Lothian Clubs

and entry form is found in "Open Events" section

https://www.kilspindiegolfclub.co.uk/visitors/#openevents

Correct, it's open to members of East Lothian Golf Clubs. If you're not a member of another East Lothian Golf Club you cant play. Nothing pedantic about it. If it was open to everyone it might be called some like 'Kilspindie Open'

what was the point of your answer?

I clearly pointed out in my original point that I found it strange to limit your "open" to East Lothian members only.

You may call it a medal, but it is still an open.

Refreshment Barrier
2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

what was the point of your answer?

I clearly pointed out in my original point that I found it strange to limit your "open" to East Lothian members only.

You may call it a medal, but it is still an open.

You said it was Kilspindie's Open, it's not

1 minute ago, Refreshment Barrier said:

You said it was Kilspindie's Open, it's not

well explain to me then, who's "open" is it.

It's certainly on the Kilspindie Golf Club website and in the Open Events section.

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

well explain to me then, who's "open" is it.

It's certainly on the Kilspindie Golf Club website and in the Open Events section.

Ah Kilspindie members seem to have that certain way about them:mw_rolleyes:

On 07/02/2019 at 16:46, Armageddon said:

This coming season will be my last there, it's a great course and always in perfect Links condition, but the members don't help themselves, the catering and staff are brilliant, but the bar staff are a disaster, you feel like an inconvenience.   This faff of ordering drinks at the bar, food in the restaurant, paying separately, but tea/coffee is separate again.

It's like a care home in there most of the time, Skeddy the Pro can be class one day and then the next you'd think you've sh4t in his kettle. The Director is possibly the nicest golf club guy I know, one of the main reasons I stayed this coming season.

Holes 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 16 and 18 and brilliant!  An enjoyable test and beautiful scenery.

The members of Kilspindie have done nothing but back up this post. What would they do if the good people of Kickback descended upon them for an outing. It is your last year after all, nothing like going out with a bang.

Christ, Kilspindie has to of "those" members :lol:

Final winter medal today, net 71. Struck the ball pretty well. 4 weeks with no comps before our captain v vice-captain on the 31st. Roll on the new season!

1 hour ago, SectionG said:

The members of Kilspindie have done nothing but back up this post. What would they do if the good people of Kickback descended upon them for an outing. It is your last year after all, nothing like going out with a bang.

Yep, get enquiring about an outing Arma!

12 hours ago, SectionG said:

They would rub their hands with glee. You get your arses down there, pay top dollar, fill the Kilspindie coffers and keep my annual subs at a minimum. :verysmug: Thank you in advance.

41 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

They would rub their hands with glee. You get your arses down there, pay top dollar, fill the Kilspindie coffers and keep my annual subs at a minimum. :verysmug: Thank you in advance.

Once again backing up the point.

40 minutes ago, SectionG said:

Once again backing up the point.

The point, what is that exactly? Please explain.

Why so serious?

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

13 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yep, get enquiring about an outing Arma!

Hahaha the place has unreal potential!  The course setting, the clubhouse, the views, plenty of parking, a potential halfway house, thousands of walkers passing by.  If they opened a wee cafe for visitors they would make a bomb, it's like the old element of Muirfield still exist there, anyway, brilliant trek.

Old Blue Eyes - what's the score with the house next to the 8th green???

51 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Hahaha the place has unreal potential!  The course setting, the clubhouse, the views, plenty of parking, a potential halfway house, thousands of walkers passing by.  If they opened a wee cafe for visitors they would make a bomb, it's like the old element of Muirfield still exist there, anyway, brilliant trek.

Old Blue Eyes - what's the score with the house next to the 8th green???

Which one, Green Craig or the abortion of building on your right en route to the 9th tee?

If it's the later, needs demolished, along with the barricade just off the 9th tee. Solution for the 9th is to back the tee up over the road 60 yards into Green Craig, thus eliminating any chance of golf balls entering the garden at the green.

Thousands of walkers passing by...really? :notsure:

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:50, Refreshment Barrier said:

No problem wearing shorts at Kilspindie 

100% correct. The problem lies with individuals that struggle mentally with the definition of tailored shorts. After all old boy, this is Kilspindie, not Club Tropicana...what?

2 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Which one, Green Craig or the abortion of building on your right en route to the 9th tee?

If it's the later, needs demolished, along with the barricade just off the 9th tee. Solution for the 9th is to back the tee up over the road 60 yards into Green Craig, thus eliminating any chance of golf balls entering the garden at the green.

Thousands of walkers passing by...really? :notsure:

Aye that's the one - next to Green Craig.  For those that don't know Green Craig https://www.onthemarket.com/details/711910/  There's a house very similar next to it but it's an absolute wreck.

The last few weekends the number of walkers hitting the coast was fairly decent ...

2 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

100% correct. The problem lies with individuals that struggle mentally with the definition of tailored shorts. After all old boy, this is Kilspindie, not Club Tropicana...what?

Whats the bar like .

2 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Whats the bar like .

The 'spikes' bar could be very very decent ... the staff that work it are unreal ... and in no way a good way!!  The catering staff are the polar opposite, lovely food and very very friendly - they run separately.