Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

7 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Kilspindie is a nice course. It's too short for me though.. last time I played there I shot a 63 scratch. Drove 6 of the par 4s. 

No reason for this post other than to say.. I shot a 63 scratch... 

Driving the greens bud, great score.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Kilspindie is a nice course. It's too short for me though.. last time I played there I shot a 63 scratch. Drove 6 of the par 4s. 

No reason for this post other than to say.. I shot a 63 scratch... 

Holes, 5,6,11,12,17 &18 I assume?

Another assumption would be little or no wind, early in the season with benign rough and you can't count.

63 you say, 3 times. Of your low handicap, your fantastic score would win you nothing.

27 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Was in a work outing and at team game so we came 2nd overall.. was in October and a windless day.. 

A team game, scratch 63, some putts were given and very unlikely you played of the medal tee's?

A tarnished 63!

1 hour ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

A team game, scratch 63, some putts were given and very unlikely you played of the medal tee's?

A tarnished 63!

:lol:

1 hour ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

A tarnished 63!

A 63 is a 63.

It may have been off forward tees. It may have been benign conditions. It may have been in a team event. .... but it still adds up to a 63 scratch.

Probably a good 10 shots better than you have ever managed round there I would wager. Just by the way you post, easy to tell you are no golfer!!

William H. Bonney
2 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Was in a work outing and at team game so we came 2nd overall.. was in October and a windless day.. 

I think the question on everyone's lips is did you use mats? 

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Jealousy is a terrible thing. 

Jealous of an assumed 63, doubt it!  

9 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

A 63 is a 63.

It may have been off forward tees. It may have been benign conditions. It may have been in a team event. .... but it still adds up to a 63 scratch.

Probably a good 10 shots better than you have ever managed round there I would wager. Just by the way you post, easy to tell you are no golfer!!

You'd lose the wager. OK Sherlock fill me in why I'm no golfer due to my posting style?

3 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

You'd lose the wager. OK Sherlock fill me in why I'm no golfer due to my posting style?

You can just tell....

4 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

A tarnished 63!

FFS guys, can we lighten up a bit.

There has been a bit tongue and cheek from OBE.

mainly he has backed up etiquette,, I see no wrong in that.

:wink: anyway I'm hoping for an invite.

Just now, Tommy Brown said:

FFS guys, can we lighten up a bit.

There has been a bit tongue and cheek from OBE.

mainly he has backed up etiquette,, I see no wrong in that.

:wink: anyway I'm hoping for an invite.

Wait for the better weather Tommy. I'm busy up until late spring, maybe you and couple of your friends, won't cost you anymore than £40 for the 3 of you. 43 years playing golf and never played Kilspindie...atrocious behaviour.

10 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Wait for the better weather Tommy. I'm busy up until late spring, maybe you and couple of your friends, won't cost you anymore than £40 for the 3 of you. 43 years playing golf and never played Kilspindie...atrocious behaviour.

cheers bud :thumbsup:

making up for lost time now. Playing Leven, Duddingston & Ladybank opens this year.

All new courses for me.

Edited by Tommy Brown

6 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

cheers bud :thumbsup:

making up for lost time now. Playing Leven, Duddingston & Ladybank opens this year.

All new courses for me.

Really good picks. Are these at weekends?

Samuel Camazzola
12 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

OBE is definitely that guy.

Enjoyed my round today. Full course in play and no mats. Glorious.

Where did you end up playing? 

44 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Where did you end up playing? 

Fairmont. Wanted to play Craigielaw but no times available until the afternoon. No good when travelling from Fife.

2 over handicap with an 8 at the 6th. Took 4 to get out that greenside bunker :lol:

I think following the chat the last few days, Kilspindie should host the Kickback outing, it appears a very welcoming place and not too long a walk.

46 minutes ago, SectionG said:

I think following the chat the last few days, Kilspindie should host the Kickback outing, it appears a very welcoming place and not too long a walk.

:rofl:

1 hour ago, SectionG said:

Aye but not in the winter as they use mats.

And I'd be wary of the summer as the shorts police would be on patrol.

Then there's the chance of bumping into OBE.

Nah, it's not gonna work.

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Aye but not in the winter as they use mats.

And I'd be wary of the summer as the shorts police would be on patrol.

Then there's the chance of bumping into OBE.

Nah, it's not gonna work.

I was going to suggest OBE ran it, there’d definitely be no cheating under his stewardship.

35 minutes ago, SectionG said:

I was going to suggest OBE ran it, there’d definitely be no cheating under his stewardship.

Zero tolerance on fun too !! 

On 10/02/2019 at 11:05, Tommy Brown said:

@Old Blue Eyes

My annoyance of Kilspindie, is that to play in their open, you must have membership of an East Lothian course.

Strange one IMO

Doesn't really sound like an open if that's the case.

11 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

On 07/02/2019 at 20:36, Old Blue Eyes said:

Yes, I concede and to the fact I've never played golf in my puff and never will...stupid game.

By your own admission it would seem?

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Fairmont. Wanted to play Craigielaw but no times available until the afternoon. No good when travelling from Fife.

2 over handicap with an 8 at the 6th. Took 4 to get out that greenside bunker :lol:

Good day for it. Was it breezy up at the Bay? Pity you didn't land in a bunker that's currently GUR. ?

Final Open qualifying is going up to the Fairmont on 2nd July. There could be some big names up there. I believe it's going to be a hybrid of the two courses and close to 7000 yards! 

10 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Good day for it. Was it breezy up at the Bay? Pity you didn't land in a bunker that's currently GUR. ?

Final Open qualifying is going up to the Fairmont on 2nd July. There could be some big names up there. I believe it's going to be a hybrid of the two courses and close to 7000 yards! 

It was absolutely perfect, not a lick of wind and a bright sunny day.

It must have been about one of the only bunkers GUR on the entire course, I couldn't even see the top of the flagstick when addressing my ball. Should have just taken advantage of the new bunker drop rule :lol:

The only gripe I have with the Fairmont, and it's not really the courses fault but the amount of pitch marks left unrepaired is staggering. Folk really don't give a shit when they play these resort courses.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It must have been about one of the only bunkers GUR on the entire course, I couldn't even see the top of the flagstick when addressing my ball. Should have just taken advantage of the new bunker drop rule :lol:

The only gripe I have with the Fairmont, and it's not really the courses fault but the amount of pitch marks left unrepaired is staggering. Folk really don't give a shit when they play these resort courses.

How much for the Bay?  I used to get on for £25 last off season.

I'd love to play a fife coast links course in the Easter holidays, absolutely zero offers though! :(

24 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

How much for the Bay?  I used to get on for £25 last off season.

I'd love to play a fife coast links course in the Easter holidays, absolutely zero offers though! :(

It was £29. There was barely a soul on the course. Managed to haul in some amount of balls though. between the 3 of us we found about 30 :lol:

Cheapest of the Fife courses will be Leven, often find that on teeofftimes.

Lundin is £50 in April. Elie is usually around £80. I think Crail is around the £60 mark.

12 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It was £29. There was barely a soul on the course. Managed to haul in some amount of balls though. between the 3 of us we found about 30 :lol:

Cheapest of the Fife courses will be Leven, often find that on teeofftimes.

Lundin is £50 in April. Elie is usually around £80. I think Crail is around the £60 mark.

Played Elie years ago ... well, 17 holes as we jumped on at 5:30am and walked off after the 17th green!!!  Decent course but was never paying the £80 for a mid-week tee time!!

1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

Played Elie years ago ... well, 17 holes as we jumped on at 5:30am and walked off after the 17th green!!!  Decent course but was never paying the £80 for a mid-week tee time!!

Yeah it's a course I'd like to play but can't justify paying £80 for there.

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

posted recently, open on Sat 1/6/19, £25.

I'm playing Leven in the 2nd, decided against.

next year for sure.

John mcCartney
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Earlsferry Thistle open ,first week of June Liam lad ......

Was over at Fairmont meself on Sunday ,Torrance course.
Played very well altho the greens are doing my nut in....They dont look it but are slow and as has been mentioned tons of pitch marks un repaired.....the third hole had had some fecking windup merchants at it as there were 2 deep
marks within 4 ft of the hole itself.Thats @anker material right there

Edited by John mcCartney

55 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

Earlsferry Thistle open ,first week of June Liam lad ......

Was over at Fairmont meself on Sunday ,Torrance course.
Played very well altho the greens are doing my nut in....They dont look it but are slow and as has been mentioned tons of pitch marks un repaired.....the third hole had had some fecking windup merchants at it as there were 2 deep
marks within 4 ft of the hole itself.Thats @anker material right there

Maybe Sergio Garcia been up for a game :ermm:

Samuel Camazzola
21 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sadly the failure to repair pitch marks isn't always down to the holiday makers fancying an annual game. Seasoned golfers attached to clubs are to blame due to their laziness. This extends to them not replacing divots and raking bunkers properly. I see it in most places I play and have pointed it out to a few who claim they 'forgot'. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Sadly the failure to repair pitch marks isn't always down to the holiday makers fancying an annual game. Seasoned golfers attached to clubs are to blame due to their laziness. This extends to them not replacing divots and raking bunkers properly. I see it in most places I play and have pointed it out to a few who claim they 'forgot'. 

Definitely, it just always seems worse at places like Fairmont, Carrick, Cardrona etc.

Samuel Camazzola

PGA Championship returning to Sky Sports this year. Great news after suffering BBC and Eleven Sports the last couple of years. 

Can't believe I've just read through the Kilspindie posts! OBE welcoming potential new players with open arms!! ?

If you want to feel like you're a member of Muirfield then get yourself down! I'm playing tomorrow... the pie chips and beans are outstanding, the welcoming atmosphere from the second you check in with the pro through to being treated like shite at the bar cannot be described! :)

OBE - I know you’re not big G the Pro as he's a MASSIVE Tim, but are you his brother?? ;)

Edited by Armageddon

42 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Can't believe I've just read through the Kilspindie posts! OBE welcoming potential new players with open arms!! ?

If you want to feel like you're a member of Muirfield then get yourself down! I'm playing tomorrow... the pie chips and beans are outstanding, the welcoming atmosphere from the second you check in with the pro through to being treated like shite at the bar cannot be described! :)

OBE - I know you’re not big G the Pro as he's a MASSIVE Tim, but are you his brother?? ;)

You're going to have to sign me on one day so I can sample this wonderful golfing experience!

Better make it the summer, I'm often hitting down on the ball...ground first. Wouldn't want to rip up the semi rough :lol:

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You're going to have to sign me on one day so I can sample this wonderful golfing experience!

Better make it the summer, I'm often hitting down on the ball...ground first. Wouldn't want to rip up the semi rough :lol:

I would but I need 12 months of solid practice ... at looking at people like they're sh*t and trespassing their space!!

The facts are - Kilspindie is immaculate and the views up to Edinburgh walking up the coast are amazing, it's enjoyable as it's anything but a slog, shooting scratch 63's is fun, but if the wind blows those 63's can easily be 103.

There's one man there who can drag that club into the 21st Century and that's Chris Stirling, brilliant guy.

23 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I would but I need 12 months of solid practice ... at looking at people like they're sh*t and trespassing their space!!

The facts are - Kilspindie is immaculate and the views up to Edinburgh walking up the coast are amazing, it's enjoyable as it's anything but a slog, shooting scratch 63's is fun, but if the wind blows those 63's can easily be 103.

There's one man there who can drag that club into the 21st Century and that's Chris Stirling, brilliant guy.

If that's how they treat members...how do they treat visitors?? I'll pass.

5 hours ago, Armageddon said:

A massive tim you say? Ask him when he last paid a visit to Parkhead. His brother? No.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes