Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

sent off me form for earlsferry open yesterday chief....great old links course in a great setting,you wont forget it thats for sure.some great and quirky holes

cheers John, that's enough for me.

51 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Anyone played Goswick or Bamburgh Castle before?

Goswick is a great track, highly recommend a bash there.

Not played bamburgh but it has a good reputation despite a few blind shots.

Dunstanburgh castle is a nice track a little further south of you're in the area.

9 hours ago, StSow said:

Goswick is a great track, highly recommend a bash there.

Not played bamburgh but it has a good reputation despite a few blind shots.

Dunstanburgh castle is a nice track a little further south of you're in the area.

Nice one thanks. We're taking the wee one to Berwick for a wee break in June so I'll be taking the clubs and sneak away one evening for 18 holes. 

Played Magdalene Fields last time we were there but fancy something a bit more upmarket this time.

The Mighty Thor
7 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Nice one thanks. We're taking the wee one to Berwick for a wee break in June so I'll be taking the clubs and sneak away one evening for 18 holes. 

Played Magdalene Fields last time we were there but fancy something a bit more upmarket this time.

Goswick is a good course. Some unusual holes and generally in really good nick. Last season the rough was pretty brutal if you went off line. 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Goswick is a good course. Some unusual holes and generally in really good nick. Last season the rough was pretty brutal if you went off line. 

Better take plenty baws!

Samuel Camazzola
On 22/01/2019 at 21:44, LeftBack said:

Apologies for the light relief - but I actually thought this was quite funny. Not sure why they have done it - think Fleetwood is a bit of a joke. But a good laugh anyway - more laughs in four minutes than four hours of Mrs Brown's Boys anyway 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/golf/46925470 

Have you seen Monty's video following this? Classic! ? 

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Very funny indeed?

Did you check out Monty's driver shot in Dubia they try to recreate it with Fleetwood, Rafa, and Matt Fitz.

Interesting outcome.

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, merrymac said:

Very funny indeed?

Did you check out Monty's driver shot in Dubia they try to recreate it with Fleetwood, Rafa, and Matt Fitz.

Interesting outcome.

Yeah, amazing how much things have changed in 23 years. A driver of the deck to carry 220 yards. With today's equipment, Rory and DJ carry 6 irons that distance. 

Good effort from Fleetwood to get it on. 

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

Yeah, amazing how much things have changed in 23 years. A driver of the deck to carry 220 yards. With today's equipment, Rory and DJ carry 6 irons that distance. 

Good effort from Fleetwood to get it on. 

But interestingly 2 out of the three couldn't hit it any further than Monty with the same club.

Wish technology would help me that much:unsure2:

On 29/01/2019 at 17:12, Samuel Camazzola said:

Just watched - cheers. And saw the driving one you mentioned too. It goes without saying - if only the SFA had even half this creativity for PR.....and the BBC for comedy!

Everybody Loves Baz!

Recommendations for an Electric Trolley please anyone?

Looking to get one for the coming season, not looking to pay more than £600, never had the cash for the recent Motocaddy/Bag offer that finished in January unfortunately.

I would prefer one with the GPS/Yardages on screen type trolley, and any pro-cons to Acid/Lithium battery.

TIA.

2 hours ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Recommendations for an Electric Trolley please anyone?

Looking to get one for the coming season, not looking to pay more than £600, never had the cash for the recent Motocaddy/Bag offer that finished in January unfortunately.

I would prefer one with the GPS/Yardages on screen type trolley, and any pro-cons to Acid/Lithium battery.

TIA.

You've just missed a massive American Golf sale on trolleys. I picked up a Motocaddy S3 Pro for £300 down from £550. Sold the bag for £50 as well so got it for £250 effectively.

I wouldn't waste my time with a lead acid battery.

43 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You've just missed a massive American Golf sale on trolleys. I picked up a Motocaddy S3 Pro for £300 down from £550. Sold the bag for £50 as well so got it for £250 effectively.

I wouldn't waste my time with a lead acid battery.

Why not lead acid?

Genuine question, I'm clueless.

7 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Any East Lothian links courses not using mats?

Kilspindie - not strictly true though, just play later and there are never any mats left, if it's bang in the middle of the fairway we kick to the side but not 100% in the rough, the course is immaculate these days.

23 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Kilspindie - not strictly true though, just play later and there are never any mats left, if it's bang in the middle of the fairway we kick to the side but not 100% in the rough, the course is immaculate these days.

What do you do when your ball is not in the middle of the fairway? Kilspindie member asking.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

25 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

What do you do when your ball is not in the middle of the fairway? Kilspindie member asking.

LOL so you'll know if you don't hit the bang centre of the fairway then it's running off into the semi anyway thanks to all the elements, otherwise it's a wee flick to the edge - never into the rough though.

7 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

LOL so you'll know if you don't hit the bang centre of the fairway then it's running off into the semi anyway thanks to all the elements, otherwise it's a wee flick to the edge - never into the rough though.

It's generally accepted that you can knock your ball into the first cut when mats are in operation is it not?

Kilspindie probably a bit too expensive though, £75 a round they have advertised on their website. Reckon I might try get to Gullane if the weather is decent. £46 for #2 and £33 for #3.

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's generally accepted that you can knock your ball into the first cut when mats are in operation is it not?

Kilspindie probably a bit too expensive though, £75 a round they have advertised on their website. Reckon I might try get to Gullane if the weather is decent. £46 for #2 and £33 for #3.

This coming season will be my last there, it's a great course and always in perfect Links condition, but the members don't help themselves, the catering and staff are brilliant, but the bar staff are a disaster, you feel like an inconvenience.   This faff of ordering drinks at the bar, food in the restaurant, paying separately, but tea/coffee is separate again.

It's like a care home in there most of the time, Skeddy the Pro can be class one day and then the next you'd think you've sh4t in his kettle. The Director is possibly the nicest golf club guy I know, one of the main reasons I stayed this coming season.

Holes 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 16 and 18 and brilliant!  An enjoyable test and beautiful scenery.

7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Not at Kilspindie, fairway & 1st cut mats used, 2nd cut play as it lies. Kilspindie is immaculate, thanks to the members/visitors adhering to proper mat usage, seems some folk have been starting a round without a mat and playing from the 1st cut. :levein_interesting:

1 minute ago, Irufushi said:

Any course I’ve played in winter that have mats all allow you to play from the first cut. 

Not Kilspindie.

Samuel Camazzola
37 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Get your hands on a Green Free voucher for 2 for 1 golf at Gullane if you can manage a weekday game. 

Edited by Samuel Camazzola

28 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Not at Kilspindie, fairway & 1st cut mats used, 2nd cut play as it lies. Kilspindie is immaculate, thanks to the members/visitors adhering to proper mat usage, seems some folk have been starting a round without a mat and playing from the 1st cut. :levein_interesting:

Always have played from the first cut ?  Been a member for 6 years!

46 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

This coming season will be my last there, it's a great course and always in perfect Links condition, but the members don't help themselves, the catering and staff are brilliant, but the bar staff are a disaster, you feel like an inconvenience.   This faff of ordering drinks at the bar, food in the restaurant, paying separately, but tea/coffee is separate again.

It's like a care home in there most of the time, Skeddy the Pro can be class one day and then the next you'd think you've sh4t in his kettle. The Director is possibly the nicest golf club guy I know, one of the main reasons I stayed this coming season.

Holes 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 16 and 18 and brilliant!  An enjoyable test and beautiful scenery.

You're correct, like every other golf club, some (not all) members can be taxing. The faff you highlighted would be the two separate tills, for the two separate businesses. Coffee is separate again yes, it's a machine. You leaving next year? Our 1st cut will improve. Holes 6, 11 & 18 all driveable, 3 worst holes on the course.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

7 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Always have played from the first cut ?  Been a member for 6 years!

6 years you've been playing from the wrong place. tut, tut!

Armageddon, I can see why you are thinking of leaving Kilspindie.....If Old Blue Eyes is a typical representation of their patronising, nit-picking membership. Haha

There are much better courses down that way than Kilspindie in my opinion

14 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

Armageddon, I can see why you are thinking of leaving Kilspindie.....If Old Blue Eyes is a typical representation of their patronising, nit-picking membership. Haha

There are much better courses down that way than Kilspindie in my opinion

Rattled your cage?

Patronising, nit-picking membership, hardly, just adhering to the rules. Arma should be including himself on the cant help front. When the board at Kilspindie point to a rule being compulsory, I reckon the clever, observant members will adhere. Nit-picking? have a word, the guy's blatantly admitted playing from the 1st cut, against Kilspindie's compulsory winter rules...case closed!

Yes there is better courses than Kilspindie down our way...you're pretty much stating the obvious.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

1 minute ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Rattled your cage?

Patronising, nit-picking membership, hardly, just adhering to the rules. Arma should be including himself on the cant help front. When the board at Kilspindie point to a rule being compulsory, I reckon the clever, observant members will adhere. Nit-picking? have a word, the guy's blatantly admitted playing from the 1st cut, against Kilspindie's compulsory winter rules...case closed!

Got to love golf clubs and their stupid stupid rules. Personally I think Armageddon is quite right. He pays his membership subs to play off grass, not a mat. Can't see what harm a few divots in the 1st cut will make. If I went into 1st cut and found myself in a divot, I would be quite happy to be honest (unless it is a crater!!)

Can see why likes of St Andrews have the mat rule in winter due to quality of course and amount of visitor footfall traffic. But this is Kilspindie we are talking about. 

2 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

Got to love golf clubs and their stupid stupid rules. Personally I think Armageddon is quite right. He pays his membership subs to play off grass, not a mat. Can't see what harm a few divots in the 1st cut will make. If I went into 1st cut and found myself in a divot, I would be quite happy to be honest (unless it is a crater!!)

Can see why likes of St Andrews have the mat rule in winter due to quality of course and amount of visitor footfall traffic. But this is Kilspindie we are talking about. 

Th mat thing is total bollocks anyway. If the green staff regularly fill divots then they all repair fairly early in the growing season.

I play a links course in the area ( not naming for fear of reprisals:mw_rolleyes:) and we never have mats. During the golf season (which is the important bit) our fairways are no better or worse than the course named.

2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Th mat thing is total bollocks anyway. If the green staff regularly fill divots then they all repair fairly early in the growing season.

I play a links course in the area ( not naming for fear of reprisals:mw_rolleyes:) and we never have mats. During the golf season (which is the important bit) our fairways are no better or worse than the course named.

There speaks a man of sense! ... Links courses shouldn't need mats. If you take huge divots on a links course, you are doing it wrong!

2 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

You love the clubs with the stupid rules????

Arma will have/should have read Kilspindies winter rules policy before joining and duly accepted the compulsory winter mat situation, he obviously never read them properly.

Kilspindie has more footfall than St Andrews...their course is closed on Sundays...52 of them.

A few divots, :rofl:

1 minute ago, Old Hearts said:

There speaks a man of sense! ... Links courses shouldn't need mats. If you take huge divots on a links course, you are doing it wrong!

Thank you kind sir:thumbsup:

Your right that divots tend to be on the small side on links courses and are A - easily repaired B - covered by regular maintainance

2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Thank you kind sir:thumbsup:

Your right that divots tend to be on the small side on links courses and are A - easily repaired B - covered by regular maintainance

A - grass doesn't grow in the winter, easy repaired aye right. so if it needs repaired, there's damage done.

B - mats ease the avoidable regular maintenance.

3 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

You love the clubs with the stupid rules????

Arma will have/should have read Kilspindies winter rules policy before joining and duly accepted the compulsory winter mat situation, he obviously never read them properly.

Kilspindie has more footfall than St Andrews...their course is closed on Sundays...52 of them.

A few divots, :rofl:

My point about loving golf clubs and their stupid rules was laced with sarcasm.

Are you seriously saying that Kilspindie gets played more than the Old Course at St Andrews, even given the fact it is closed 52 days of the year?? ??

Yes, a few divots. As pointed out, divots on a Links course tend to be small and are quick to recover.

1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

Well that escalated quickly!

I'm playing Sunday and will play from the semi... with a semi :)

Watch out for Old Blue Eyes out with his binoculars and rule book though ??

2 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

A - grass doesn't grow in the winter, easy repaired aye right. so if it needs repaired, there's damage done.

B - mats ease the avoidable regular maintenance.

If grass doesn't grow why are the greens still cut during the winter? It just grows much more slowly in the winter,and recovers quickly when you reach springtime.

Regular maintenance is always required - it actually improves the soil if divots are filled on a regular basis.

Memberships are expensive enough without playing toy golf for six months.

Can understand it on wet inland courses, but links really?

Would resign if my club went to mats.But you obviously really love it

image.jpeg.bb032c07ac40b0011b17e83339762af0.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

Watch out for Old Blue Eyes out with his binoculars and rule book though ??

He should join Muirfield - would fit right in there

8 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Well that escalated quickly!

I'm playing Sunday and will play from the semi... with a semi :)

Gonna be a hard round?

17 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

My point about loving golf clubs and their stupid rules was laced with sarcasm.

Are you seriously saying that Kilspindie gets played more than the Old Course at St Andrews, even given the fact it is closed 52 days of the year?? ??

Yes, a few divots. As pointed out, divots on a Links course tend to be small and are quick to recover.

I wonder what the annual rounds at Kilspindie are?

45,000 at the Old course.

Be interesting to find out?