Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Just got the bill in for next seasons fees. £734 lucky if I play 3/4 times a month not really worth it. Why is golf so expensive? 

Not it sure if I’ll rejoin as it’s costing too much per round. 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Just got the bill in for next seasons fees. £734 lucky if I play 3/4 times a month not really worth it. Why is golf so expensive? 

Mine went from 520 to 675 last year, part of that was due to moving the subscription date from January to March which is fair enough so you got an extra few months, still a horrible hike in price. Wouldn’t surprise me if the put it up again next season. 

I do get a lot of use out of mine , tbf, at least a couple of rounds a week, probably a lot more than that this past summer with the brilliant weather. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Old Hearts said:

I think the guy is quite right. He is trying to run a business (where margins are very tight). He isn't running a bank!!

He'll be at risk of losing loyal business as folk will go elsewhere (and for cheaper). 

Samuel Camazzola
35 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Where do you play about? 

10 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

He'll be at risk of losing loyal business as folk will go elsewhere (and for cheaper). 

Really?? Just for asking people to spend their credit balance, so that, in turn, he can balance his books?

Guess the days of supporting your Local Pro are well out the window these days sadly.

Samuel Camazzola
18 minutes ago, Old Hearts said:

Really?? Just for asking people to spend their credit balance, so that, in turn, he can balance his books?

Guess the days of supporting your Local Pro are well out the window these days sadly.

Most items can be bought online for a significantly cheaper price. If changes are brought in that upset the regular customer, they'll not feel the need to remain loyal. 

1 hour ago, spirt of 98 said:

It's a dilemma I faced the last few years.

I just make sure that I play as much as possible, like every Wednesday medal. I am now really back into it.

I think the cost of running a golf course now with minimum wage going up. It's tough trying to balance books. 

Fees keep rising, members leave, problem worsens.

Casual golfers can go and grab a round cheaply off online sites. Clubs are biting the bullet and going down this route and it's driving the round price to far less than they want.

joondalupjambo
12 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Lundin are usually on mats from January to March.

Yep that is right but at the moment you can use them if you want to on a voluntary basis.  

However there are two fairways where they are protecting the turf and if you land in one of these zones then mats are in compulsory use.  

Also all the par three's now have large mats for us to use.

£734 for Swanston? :lol:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Edinburgh prices, for what you get are ridiculous. The two courses we've been speaking about the last few days (Leven and Lundin) are more than £200 cheaper!

Samuel Camazzola
11 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

Swanston GC

Sounds like the prices up there have climbed rapidly in the last few years. 

Are they still incorporating the 3rd and 4th from Lothianburn into their course? If so, what holes were dropped? 

It's a shame Lothianburn closed as it was a far superior course on essentially, the same piece of land. Best greens I ever played from an Edinburgh course and maintained by only of three green staff. 

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

£734 for Swanston? :lol:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Edinburgh prices, for what you get are ridiculous. The two courses we've been speaking about the last few days (Leven and Lundin) are more than £200 cheaper!

Aye £734 is a joke! But suppose they have bills to pay. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Sounds like the prices up there have climbed rapidly in the last few years. 

Are they still incorporating the 3rd and 4th from Lothianburn into their course? If so, what holes were dropped? 

It's a shame Lothianburn closed as it was a far superior course on essentially, the same piece of land. Best greens I ever played from an Edinburgh course and maintained by only of three green staff. 

Yeah old 3rd from Lothianburn is now s par 5 and old Lothianburn 4th is still in use. Swanston old 3rd and 4th are not being used anymore. There’s still 5 really shite holes at Swanston. 

I played Barassie in Troon at the weekend, I've played it twice before but I wasn't feeling the love this time.  East Lothian links feels like true golfing links to me, but this was wet like a parkland, even though it hadn't rained for 2 weeks, didn't really enjoy it.

15 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Gullane at £800 odd... 

Smug

And 3 courses at that.

£700+ is staggering for Swanston, I'm surprised they have any members at all at that price.

William H. Bonney
5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

And 3 courses at that.

£700+ is staggering for Swanston, I'm surprised they have any members at all at that price.

The best thing about swanston is the clubhouse and the 2 holes they took from lothianburn. 

Other than that it's shite. 

17 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

The best thing about swanston is the clubhouse and the 2 holes they took from lothianburn. 

Other than that it's shite. 

Broomieknowe, Mortonhall and Liberton all within a short distance. What's the membership prices for those courses?

William H. Bonney

Mortonhall will probably be more expensive I reckon. The other 2 roughly the same. 

I think you can get both courses at dalmahoy for roughly the same price as Swanson. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Broomieknowe, Mortonhall and Liberton all within a short distance. What's the membership prices for those courses?

Liberton was £500-£600 when I left in 2012. Mortonhall was pricier and included a joining fee. Lothianburn was a bargain - under £400 IIRC. 

The par 3 course at Swanston was a good addition but the new holes didn't flow into the original course very well. Different greens and type of grass etc...

I wasn't a fan of the par 3 finish when I last played there. 

Everybody Loves Baz!
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Broomieknowe are doing a deal as of next week. £683 gets you in now until March 2020.

Pay £100 now, then you're invoiced the remainder in March 2019. Can pay in 6 monthly instalments (may be increased to 8 after committee meeting to be held soon).

Also,  a new £2m+  clubhouse is in its early infancy, with drawings already done and, I think, planning permission agreed. Just a contractor to be decided??

Exciting times ahead for us hopefully.

Edited by Everybody Loves Baz!

Samuel Camazzola
32 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Not sure what to make of this. Bit desperate if you ask me. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/46307681

Sky are showing it as a non ppv broadcast. I don't know why they couldn't have allowed a few thousand spectators in to generate a bit of atmosphere. 

They'll both need to put on exhibition of exquisite golf because it's the only way they are going to get credit for this. I fully expect the winner will donate the purse to charities to avoid further negative press. 

I might join Mortonhall as a second membership if I get a chance in the future.    Best course in Edinburgh.     Still planning to join one or two of the Braids clubs.

Lothianburn was an enjoyable course but a bit of a slog.    I preferred Torphin.    #3, 4 & 5 were 'interesting' but once you got past that it was a cracking course.      

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

I might join Mortonhall as a second membership if I get a chance in the future.    Best course in Edinburgh.     Still planning to join one or two of the Braids clubs.

Lothianburn was an enjoyable course but a bit of a slog.    I preferred Torphin.    #3, 4 & 5 were 'interesting' but once you got past that it was a cracking course.      

Mortonhall a decent course, but Par 5s are way too easy. All reachable in 2, and a couple of them can be reached with a drive and mid-iron.

There are better courses in Edinburgh. Duddingston, Burgess and Bruntsfield for example.

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Mortonhall is great. A major course development project has hampered any hopes of good close season golf but should be in good condition next year.

£1000+ is steep for a second membership though ?

Samuel Camazzola
On 08/11/2018 at 12:37, Dino Velvet said:

Lundin links is £30 over the winter. I've never played it. Is that a good deal? 

I took up the £30 seasonal offer today and thought the course was superb. First class clubhouse too. The greens were tremendous and true. 

The conditions were very very tough with a constant gale coming in off the beach, the cold and occasional downpour but it all added to the test. I consider myself to be a pretty big hitter but at times on the front 9, I was hitting knock-down 7 irons from around 110 yards and a couple of hybrids from just over 150! 

I agree with others that 12 and 13 don't really fit with the rest of the course. 13 is a decent enough hole and played tough with today's wind but 12 is probably the weakest hole in my opinion. 

The new build property on the drive beside the approach to the 18th green looks impressive. Someone is going to have a pad to envy once it's complete! 

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I took up the £30 seasonal offer today and thought the course was superb. First class clubhouse too. The greens were tremendous and true. 

The conditions were very very tough with a constant gale coming in off the beach, the cold and occasional downpour but it all added to the test. I consider myself to be a pretty big hitter but at times on the front 9, I was hitting knock-down 7 irons from around 110 yards and a couple of hybrids from just over 150! 

I agree with others that 12 and 13 don't really fit with the rest of the course. 13 is a decent enough hole and played tough with today's wind but 12 is probably the weakest hole in my opinion. 

The new build property on the drive beside the approach to the 18th green looks impressive. Someone is going to have a pad to envy once it's complete! 

I was absolutely blessed with the weather. Loved every minute of it. 

I've just noticed the kittocks is £30 too. 

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

I was absolutely blessed with the weather. Loved every minute of it. 

I've just noticed the kittocks is £30 too. 

I have a Fairmont membership too and both courses are in great condition. 

You may get an even cheaper game on Tee Off Times or Itison if they are still doing voucher deal. 

Have you registered to become a Scottish Golf member? They have several deals including Crail IIRC. 

William H. Bonney
1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I have a Fairmont membership too and both courses are in great condition. 

You may get an even cheaper game on Tee Off Times or Itison if they are still doing voucher deal. 

Have you registered to become a Scottish Golf member? They have several deals including Crail IIRC. 

It was on the off times I noticed it. Scottish golf member? Is that the same as the Scottish golf union, of which I have a membership card? 

Samuel Camazzola
18 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

It was on the off times I noticed it. Scottish golf member? Is that the same as the Scottish golf union, of which I have a membership card? 

That's the one. Their webpage is not the best but several offers are on there. They had Muirfield, Castle Stuart and Turnberry recently. 

Probably my last handicap counter of the season, scratch 75 less 8, cut to 7.1 ... great way to finish the season!!

Already hungry for 2019 :)

40 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Probably my last handicap counter of the season, scratch 75 less 8, cut to 7.1 ... great way to finish the season!!

Good going! I'm the exact same re 2019. That great end to the season I had just wants me to jump straight into it next year and get down further.

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

Competitions in December! Keen! Well done ?

On 24/11/2018 at 00:24, RDSK said:

Mortonhall is great. A major course development project has hampered any hopes of good close season golf but should be in good condition next year.

£1000+ is steep for a second membership though ?

The £2,500 joining fee is also a bit steep.

I would join Mortonhall if the joining fee was less as it’s on my doorstep and much better than Swanston. 

Edited by spirt of 98

• 2 weeks later...

Don't laugh, guys

I fancied a rangefinder, but basically I am far too miserable to shell out the £250+ figures That you see for them.

On American Golf, they sell a Fazer one for £150. I mentioned this to our pro (who smiled) and said get a Nikon one for around £160.

After trawling the web (or is it trolling :smile:). I seen this Nexus one at £119.

https://uk.precisionprogolf.com/products/nexus-rangefinder?gclid=CjwKCAiAjNjgBRAgEiwAGLlf2uhM8jXk5f3UVEVZTZ5sjXtmt5CruFdzzdkR7pT5k4lx-_AB1TdfJBoCsbwQAvD_BwE

I finally decided to order it yesterday, but found a Ben Sayers one at £65

https://www.clarkesgolf.co.uk/ben-sayers-xf-laser-rangefinder.html

It will get trialed at Eyemouth on the 29th, my mate has an expensive one, we can compare :lol:

Anyone got the Edinburgh leisure membership? Seems a pretty good price, 6 courses for £430. We've played braids hill a few times now so were thinking of getting it after the year.

13 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Anyone got the Edinburgh leisure membership? Seems a pretty good price, 6 courses for £430. We've played braids hill a few times now so were thinking of getting it after the year.

I've got a 'friends & family' discount where I only pay £25 a month. I also get discount on booking badminton with it. Great value.

The courses aren't as good as private ones (Braids possible exception), however decent enough if you don't play often enough to fork out £800+. 

Edited by Ray Gin

On 16/12/2018 at 08:28, Tommy Brown said:

Don't laugh, guys

I fancied a rangefinder, but basically I am far too miserable to shell out the £250+ figures That you see for them.

On American Golf, they sell a Fazer one for £150. I mentioned this to our pro (who smiled) and said get a Nikon one for around £160.

After trawling the web (or is it trolling :smile:). I seen this Nexus one at £119.

https://uk.precisionprogolf.com/products/nexus-rangefinder?gclid=CjwKCAiAjNjgBRAgEiwAGLlf2uhM8jXk5f3UVEVZTZ5sjXtmt5CruFdzzdkR7pT5k4lx-_AB1TdfJBoCsbwQAvD_BwE

It will get trialed at Eyemouth on the 29th, my mate has an expensive one, we can compare :lol:

What's the benefit of rangefinders over GPS phone apps? I use U Swing on Android which is great.

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

What's the benefit of rangefinders over GPS phone apps? I use U Swing on Android which is great.

Exact yardage to the flag.

On 16/12/2018 at 08:28, Tommy Brown said:

Don't laugh, guys

I'd be interested in how you get on with it. Always fancied one, just can't justify the price tag that comes with them.

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Exact yardage to the flag.

My yardage is nowhere near consistent enough to require that, think I'll stick with the free app!

I think an electric trolley will be my next big purchase. I'm all set with clubs for the forseeable but my push trolley has seen better days.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2018 at 13:40, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'd be interested in how you get on with it. Always fancied one, just can't justify the price tag that comes with them.

I finally decided to order it yesterday, but found a Ben Sayers one at £65

Played in howling gale at Eyemouth, honestly thought I was in danger of getting blown off the cliff at the 7th, the trolley kept getting blown over.

But the rangefinder worked fine, only used it a few times as I couldn't keep my hand steady enough in ****ing wind :lol:

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I finally decided to order it yesterday, but found a Ben Sayers one at £65

Played in howling gale at Eyemouth, honestly thought I was in danger of getting blown off the cliff at the 7th, the trolley kept getting blown over.

But the rangefinder worked fine, only used it a few times as I couldn't keep my hand steady enough in ****ing wind :lol:

Nice one. Let me know how you get on in calmer conditions :lol:

John mcCartney

yeah,further report please Tommy lad

I reckon I will need to buy one as ive been up at the Fairmont`s two courses,Torrance and Kittocks ,recently and
gotten undecided what club to use for lay ups etc.
I have had a very basic Sky Aire for the past few years and have no probs with it on most courses,apart from above.
Won it in a comp and had a couple of years without subscriptions.

Talking bout getting round the courses,I went for a game at Haddington the other day and was proceeding up the 11th close to the green when a bloke walks adjacent and onto the 12th tee....hits two fecking balls off the tee as Ive just fin on the 11th.He`s up ahead ,plays only one of the balls when he sees me with folded arms back on the tee......gets up to me ball,and hes chipping about 3 balls on to the green.I gesture to him as whats goin on now and in return I hear something garbled as he finishes the hole....
Anyway,Ive knocked me ball onto the top level of the green and on stepping onto the putting surface,matey comes by me and is shouting that the course layout has been changed around and that I was on the wrong hole from the previous one !!!!!! me gps still showing the old layout but indeed,the course has been changed around.....never had that happen before.It messed up me round somewhat but still managed to go back down 10,11 over to old 14,onto 15,16,17,18 to manage to get back to the car park !!!!!!!!!

Still had a go at the guys etiquette in playing a few in front of me,prob a hobo

John mcCartney

fairways Liam,20 squid......greens are ok as well.
I was over there touching base with the pro as Id had a bit tuition there in September and have had a good bit of progress
in my golf since then..irons are in at his shop, new grips and lie angles adjusted.....recomend him re tuition as well.....Scott Thomson

joondalupjambo
On 30/11/2018 at 16:53, Samuel Camazzola said:

Lundin Links I took up the £30 seasonal offer today and thought the course was superb. First class clubhouse too. The greens were tremendous and true. 

Just read this and glad you enjoyed the course.   Shame because if you had been a couple of weeks later we have been playing in spring like conditions with warm sunshine and virtually no wind on many of the days.  In fact just before Christmas and between then and New Year you could have sworn it was not Scotland!!   It played superbly and the scoring in the Saturday eclectics has been really low which is not the norm for that winter comp.  Greens still amazing and if you get the chance, if you have not already ever done so, try and play in the height of summer.  They are always a big hit with visitors for all parts of the globe.

Anyway very interesting in what you say about the new build because most locals think it looks out of place.  I lived overseas for a while and was used to these new designs but Lundin Links is mostly traditional Victorian stone builds hence the locals view.  Regardless of that though did you look closely at the finishes?  All the timber cladding has been either not staggered when fitting or is part of different batches, that looks terrible.  Also the frontage at the gable end, some of that runs off the straight and the bottom part has been left for six months unfinished.  Looks like the owner has issues with the builder.

Reason I rabbit on about this is that myself and a few other Jambos in the club could not help thinking it could not happen to a nicer guy.  The owner is of a course, as far as we know, a Hibee!!!