Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

jack D and coke

Medal at monktonhall tomorrow. My game is fluctuating wildly at the moment between really good and fecking awful. Not sure which Jack D will turn up the morn :muggy:

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Disser Pointon

Medal at monktonhall tomorrow. My game is fluctuating wildly at the moment between really good and fecking awful. Not sure which Jack D will turn up the morn :muggy:

I'm off at 9.37am, I've no chance in the club champ anyway, competent golfer but a lot more better than me off scratch!!!

jack D and coke

I'm off at 9.37am, I've no chance in the club champ anyway, competent golfer but a lot more better than me off scratch!!!

3.52pm for me. I'm a 16 handicapper but if I could sort my putting out I could possibly get to single figures.....but I'm like you there's one chance of me threatening to do much here[emoji1]

hmfc_liam06

Checked the weather forecast for tomorrow and seen it was to be sunny with little wind until around 3/4pm.

:pleasing:

Then I realised I've a mortgage appointment at 12.30.

:sob:

Checked the weather forecast for tomorrow and seen it was to be sunny with little wind until around 3/4pm.

:pleasing:

Then I realised I've a mortgage appointment at 12.30.

Shan :lol:

jack D and coke

Played the inside ten at monktonhall tonight and same same for me at the moment. Good hole then a shocker[emoji1]

Was putting for eagle at the 4th after getting up in two for the first time in my life and three putted :facepalm:

Yep. Played like a f@nny.

I'm no longer hitting fat shots at least, but I'm no longer hitting straight shots either.

hmfc_liam06

Managed to get out, again I wish I hadn't bothered, I'm really really struggling with anything longer than a 9 iron. Confidence is shot.

The Mighty Thor

Finally managed to get it together today. 73 scratch net 67

Chipped and putted like a demon.

Well chuffed :thumb:

jack D and coke

Went pretty much how I expected today. Front nine I felt like jacking it, lost two balls on the first two holes an carded 7's. It didn't get much better in the front 9 and even had another 7 at the par 3 sixth hole, out one bunker right over the green and into the other, two to get out as well :facepalm: out in 51! Back in 40 but with a bit luck could've been a bit better too.

**** knows why I'm so erratic just now. ******* game[emoji1]

Disser Pointon

Half decent round today, 78 scratch, striking the ball well enough just couldn't hole any birdie putts. Great to have some decent weather looking forward to Trump on Monday.

jack D and coke

Half decent round today, 78 scratch, striking the ball well enough just couldn't hole any birdie putts. Great to have some decent weather looking forward to Trump on Monday.

That's fairly good scoring mate. Course was nice today and nice calm weather. Absolutely zero excuses for playing like a *****[emoji1]

Disser Pointon

That's fairly good scoring mate. Course was nice today and nice calm weather. Absolutely zero excuses for playing like a ######[emoji1]

Yeah, happy enough with the general play just needed to get the putter going. Greens rolling OK but still a little slow.

Went pretty much how I expected today. Front nine I felt like jacking it, lost two balls on the first two holes an carded 7's. It didn't get much better in the front 9 and even had another 7 at the par 3 sixth hole, out one bunker right over the green and into the other, two to get out as well :facepalm: out in 51! Back in 40 but with a bit luck could've been a bit better too.

**** knows why I'm so erratic just now. ******* game[emoji1]

Sounds much like my day. Went out in 48, bogeyed the par 4 10th after putting my drive 10 yards off the green, then triple bogeyed the next after going in the trees twice. Told my mate to stop marking my score as it was making me seethe.

Started playing better instantly and proceeded to finish with five pars and two bogies.

Andyeyespy

Played the dispatch at the braids yesterday,

thoroughly enjoyed it.

My partner and I A/S after 16 unfortunately our other pairing lost 6&4.

On to next year.

Had two triple bogies tonight. Two... And only the one double 82 scratch being 8 over for 3 holes.

It's all in my head

Everything that's wrong with golf is in my head.

Playing the stadium course at sawgrass tomorrow. The setup is unreal.

The golf has been complete garbage the previous 3 rounds in Florida this week. but the courses and weather is so good I don't care. hopefully turn it round tomorrow though

Walter Bishop

Depends what you want to spend. I got a Skycaddie touch recently and its a tremendous bit of kit. Not cheap though.

Went for the Tom Tom watch, very decent. 

Sooperstar

Went out tonight. My god I am ****ing awful. Can't hit an iron straight or clean at all. Used to be all I could do. Hit a few decent drives but that was about it.

17th, par 4, gave it a smack and it ended up over the green and on the 18th tee. Any other par 4 and it would have been a great drive.

Went out tonight. My god I am ******* awful. Can't hit an iron straight or clean at all. Used to be all I could do. Hit a few decent drives but that was about it.

17th, par 4, gave it a smack and it ended up over the green and on the 18th tee. Any other par 4 and it would have been a great drive.

Carricknowe?

Shortest par 4 ever. I've gone through the green with a 3 hybrid before!

jack D and coke

Carricknowe?

Shortest par 4 ever. I've gone through the green with a 3 hybrid before!

I was putting for eagle a couple of weeks ago after a 6 iron. Good wind behind me but still.

jack D and coke

240 yard 6 iron :wow:

Some strike

Good tail wind. Hit it really well and it bounced it's way on to around 12 ft or so. Just missed the putt[emoji1]

Andyeyespy

The 2nd hole is my favourite there.

It's about the only hole that punishes a bad tee shot.

Andyeyespy

Dilemma

I play with a taylormade 2.0 superfast burner tp and just got my hands on a Cleveland classic xl (Not a custom)

I tried the Cleveland for the first time today and found it to be very closed.

Now my bad shot is a slice and found the cleveland impossible to slice.

To the point though where I struggled to play a cut.

I challenged the other guys to hit a slice or cut and one smacked it up the middle (something I couldn't) and the other hooked it.

Anyone else play Cleveland?

Dilemma

I play with a taylormade 2.0 superfast burner tp and just got my hands on a Cleveland classic xl (Not a custom)

I tried the Cleveland for the first time today and found it to be very closed.

Now my bad shot is a slice and found the cleveland impossible to slice.

To the point though where I struggled to play a cut.

I challenged the other guys to hit a slice or cut and one smacked it up the middle (something I couldn't) and the other hooked it.

Anyone else play Cleveland?

TP or tour clubs sit open. Standard clubs tend to sit closed because most amateurs struggle with a slice. So maybe you're just more used to your open taylormade.

Could also be the shaft, stiff on one brand is usually totally different to stiff on another.

Could not recommend getting fitted high enough

I may well be speaking nonesense but I hope this helps

hmfc_liam06

Absolute shocker yesterday, easily the worst round of my life. I must have shanked 14 of the 18 tee shots with the other four either hooked or sliced.

I feel like I'm going backwards at a rate of knots. Really not enjoying the game right now.

Cyprus Jambo

Hate playing in the wind and round 1 of club champs was yesterday........doing well until the last 3 holes (Pars 4, 3, 4) and both par 4s into a cross wind. Finished 8-4-7 to be 4 over handicap. Here's hoping for a less windy day next Sunday. Happy to beat (net) the 5 and 7 handicapper I was drawn with.

First round back today after playing shocking for a week on holiday. Shot 74 - 2 level par. Pretty chuffed with it being the 2nd club champ qualifier and chucking with rain. Takes the pressure off a wee bit next week

Absolute shocker yesterday, easily the worst round of my life. I must have shanked 14 of the 18 tee shots with the other four either hooked or sliced.

I feel like I'm going backwards at a rate of knots. Really not enjoying the game right now.

Ahh the shanks. Make sure your weight isn't shifting forward on to your toes, and your hands further out from your body, during your swing. A good drill I found to counter this was to deliberately line up your ball with the heel of your club at setup and try and then hit the ball with the toe of your club. 

hmfc_liam06

Ahh the shanks. Make sure your weight isn't shifting forward on to your toes, and your hands further out from your body, during your swing. A good drill I found to counter this was to deliberately line up your ball with the heel of your club at setup and try and then hit the ball with the toe of your club. 

I'll give it a go cheers!

Absolutely murder playing alongside guys who are pretty much your equal but they are booming drives while I'm raking about the bushes looking for my latest shanked effort!

Actually I'm not sure how that will work with a driver. I didn't even know you could shank a driver tbh. :lol:

hmfc_liam06

Actually I'm not sure how that will work with a driver. I didn't even know you could shank a driver tbh. :lol:

Sorry, I don't hit driver, predominantly use irons off the tee.

I'd normally out-hit or at very worst be a few yards behind their driver efforts with the irons. I can't hit the big stick to save my life so have always stuck to hybrid/irons off the tee.

hmfc_liam06

What are you like with a 3 wood?

Just as bad as the driver, I have a severe mental block when it comes to any sort of wood.

I'm going to get a few lessons shortly though as it is something I have to correct. The erratic nature of my tee shots that's killing me because as soon as I get to 100 yards I'm in the hole in 3 most times, 52 degree on to the green and two putt. It's just murder taking 3 or 4 shots to get to the 100 yard mark though!!

hmfc_liam06

I had a mental block with driver a while ago, but using a 3 wood helped me with my tempo and squaring the face at impact.

Funnily enough, now I've gone back to a driver again, it's happening again. Though as I'm playing twice a month if I'm lucky, I have to accept the odd poor drive.

I have a fair idea what I'm doing wrong, but I just don't have the time to work on it and correct it.

Good job distance isn't an issue, as I'm still getting up and down for pars fairly regularly even out of position.

Distance has never really been an issue off the tee for me, even with using irons, I'm more than capable of putting a 5 iron 200+ down the middle. Which, when it was working negated the immediate need to work on using woods but I'm getting worse and worse off the tee, even with the irons, that it's now becoming a huge issue.

hmfc_liam06

5 iron 200+ ? Christ, Rory! :lol:

Thought I was ok hitting mine 195 maximum. I've hit a 5 iron 250 before, but that had wind behind. :o

:lol:

Don't get me wrong it's not every time but was certainly 2 or 3 times a round. I can't hit any other club as long, including a host of hybrids that I've tried/owned.

But this year and actually the tail end of last year they've been non-existent and as mentioned, replaced with shanks!

Edited by hmfc_liam06

hmfc_liam06

If you're hitting anywhere near that type of distance with that club, two things:

A. If you get your consistency back, you won't need a driver to compete. Even a 3 wood would be enough.

B. You should be on tour.

I'm not talking carrys by the way :lol:

hmfc_liam06

If u hit ur 7 iron properly u should get 185 maybe 190.

Yeah I didn't think 200 with a 5 was all that a big deal?

I'm still getting 200, just flies off at 45 degrees right :lol:

Edited by hmfc_liam06

If u hit ur 7 iron properly u should get 185 maybe 190.

160 if I'm lucky. If I'm 190 from the green, I'm hitting a 4 iron.

Edited by Ray Gin

hmfc_liam06

Depends on whether it's off the tee or deck?

A 140 yard par 3, a cleanly hit 7 iron would be miles through.

Andyeyespy

Carry & roll? That's feasible. Still think that distance carry & roll on a 5 iron for a club golfer seems quite high.

Not doubting Lewis in any way shape or form. I play the ball very high, so that usually affects my roll out, and my home course in generally soft on its fairways.

What's your maximum carry on average, for a 7 iron on a par 3 for example, if you don't mind me asking?

My max carry is 175, and that's me going after it. If I'm going easy, it'll be 165ish.

U sound like ur all arms and that is a big power loss factor.

The power is in ur as$, thighs and back.

I carry my 52* wedge 120 and this is a smooth effortless swing.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread