• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mighty Thor

Not a bad day at Gullane 2 yesterday.

Bit damp to start with but the course was in great nick. Some of the pins were tucked into really snidey places. I'm guessing sexually frustrated green-keeper.

Had a decent round of 79 less 8 for 71 with 2 lost balls. Could've been should've been etc........:sorcerer:

Spoke to Bigsmack's old man for a bit. good guy.

Definitely recommend the comp to any East Lothian golfers for next year. great value at a tenner.

scots civil war

good for you chief,aint a bad score right there with two lost testicles

although i never got a call re the reserve thingy

a m8y told me that there were a few punters not turning up on the day

got mortonhall and monktonhall this coming weekend

The Mighty Thor
good for you chief,aint a bad score right there with two lost testicles

although i never got a call re the reserve thingy

a m8y told me that there were a few punters not turning up on the day

got mortonhall and monktonhall this coming weekend

To be honest mate you could have played no problem. the number of call offs was quite large, there was a fair few two balls out there.

Bomber Harris' Best Mate

Had a 72 in the medal this morning (pretty blustery)

Happy with that, gets the handicap down to 5.6 or 5.8 from 6.4 so staying at 6 for the rest of the year

scots civil war

nice.......at the other end ,i had high 80s at mortonhall

course playing very long after rain during the week,swirling wind in the afternoon,and the greens

the fastest ive putted on since i started playing 5 years ago,like ****ing lightning...stimp 11 i heard.......had one straight putt all day where i had a 2 at the 17th

hit the ball pretty damn well,swing feels great,only one wayward drive

course management very poor and confidence with the game shot

no matter what i cant seem to improve my scoring......well ****ed off with the game and monktonhall tomorrow

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
nice.......at the other end ,i had high 80s at mortonhall

course playing very long after rain during the week,swirling wind in the afternoon

course is pretty long at the best of times!!!

glad the wind got up in the afternoon (from a purely selfish point of view) as I was leader in clubhouse at 13:00

used Bigsmaks programme, 47% fairways hit (although granted a few just ran off into the first cut and one on the adjacent which I counted as a missed), 67% GIR, 31 putts

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
care to divulge course?

I meant Mortonhall was the long one, even without a swirling wind and wet fairways

scots civil war

what i meant chief was,what course are you banging on about where you had your score yest

if it was mortonhall you were playing then i doff my cap

im off to monktonhall,chase trophy,now

ive been 1,2,3 in the last 4 years so i like it,hopefully i can do summat decent today

I'M IBRAHIM TALL
That's my home course mate. H'cap 8 (7.5) at the moment.

How did you enjoy it?

Where's your home course?

I played the Carrick, Loch Lomond on Sunday. Lovely place, good looking course, but the bunkers were keek and when there's about 6-10 on each hole it matters...

Enjoyed it mate. Tricky the first time but one of those that now you know it you want to go straight back out and play it again, only better!!

I play at Royal Musselburgh mate.

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
Enjoyed it mate. Tricky the first time but one of those that now you know it you want to go straight back out and play it again, only better!!

how was the course looking, I played over a year ago and it was clear there was some maturing needing done

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
I play at Royal Musselburgh mate.

some boy on HOWDIDIDO moaning about the greenkeeping staff - you'll see it on the forum

• 2 weeks later...

Played the Queens course at Gleneagles today. 1st time I've played it, had played the Kings and PGA before. Nice course and what it lacks in length it makes up for with tight fairways. In saying that the rough isnt too bad if you stray a bit.

Looking out over the land by the 7th green/8th tee it looks as if they're building another course there, anyone heard anything about it?

grumpy rebus

I'm a high handicapper and needing a new set of irons. I'm planning to buy them when I go to US in October and I'm going to try and get them fitted.

What do you guys recommend? I was thinking about the Nike slingshot 4Ds.

scots civil war

id recomend ping g2`s chief

or cavity backed titleists,ap2`s?,both have big faces and look great behind the ball

i dont trust nike for some reason

grumpy rebus
id recomend ping g2`s chief

or cavity backed titleists,ap2`s?,both have big faces and look great behind the ball

i dont trust nike for some reason

Thanks mate. I'll have a look at them.

• 2 weeks later...
The Mighty Thor
weathers been gash for the gowf over the last few weeks

Correct!

Just back from my club's open (Castle Park) and struggled round in net par in the 'gentle breeze'. Not a day for show golf! :nah:

I took over 4 hours to get round the course today, waited for every shot and that does my head in.

Was rubbish as well...

Might give it up

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
I took over 4 hours to get round the course today, waited for every shot and that does my head in.

Fire one over their heads and apologise if you didn't see them, soon move them on

We weren't bad today, about 3 hours 15

76 in a howling gale, including a 4 putt on the 12th (well if Jiminez can do it so can I!!)

53% fairways

61% gir

33 putts

Bomber Harris' Best Mate

Was rubbish as well...

Might give it up

we played gullane, as we do every year, a few weeks ago, supposed to be 2 in the morning, 3 in the afternoon

however, there seemed to be a problem with bookings on 3 so they asked us if we'd mind playing no 1 in the afternoon :10900:

as much it was fun, a game on 2 and then trailing round 1 is too much for an old farter like me!!

The Mighty Thor

Afternoon Gents

interesting one cropped up at the weekend. Our club open was on Saturday and given the weather the scoring was fairly high. The results came out today and there was a split CSS. CSS72 for members and CSS74 for away scores.

Anyone ever came across this before? I've played loads of opens (most recently Haldane Cup at Gullane 2 where there was only 1 CSS) and the CSS has always been one and the same with no differentiation for members or visitors scores.

I was in with net 72 and according to the computer at the time of entering the score the CSS was sitting at 74 and i thought i was odds on for a 0.4 reduction and therefore back to 7 (7.3 from actual 7.7)

it's got me stumped. Anyone shed any light?

I P Knightley

Afraid I can't help on the CSS conundrum, it certainly sounds odd to me. I mean, you all played the same course on the same day so that's the competition. The visitors surely accept that as part of signing up.

It would be like having a morning CSS and an afternoon CSS if the wind had got up or something.

Anyway, on to more interesting matters - ME! Yesterday, in the club knowckout I got to my highest ever dormie; 6. Yep, 6 up after 12 holes and we only shook hands on the 18th. Would have been a ridiculously embarrassing outcome had I not won it; it's bad enough that I wasn't back in the clubhouse after, at most, 14.

Mental game, golf.

Afternoon Gents

interesting one cropped up at the weekend. Our club open was on Saturday and given the weather the scoring was fairly high. The results came out today and there was a split CSS. CSS72 for members and CSS74 for away scores.

Anyone ever came across this before? I've played loads of opens (most recently Haldane Cup at Gullane 2 where there was only 1 CSS) and the CSS has always been one and the same with no differentiation for members or visitors scores.

I was in with net 72 and according to the computer at the time of entering the score the CSS was sitting at 74 and i thought i was odds on for a 0.4 reduction and therefore back to 7 (7.3 from actual 7.7)

I played in the Kingsknowe Seniors Open (in a howling gale) a few weeks ago. The CSS was 69 for members and 71 for visitors.

Guess The Crowd
Afternoon Gents

This can only happen in an Open Event, and the field has to be a certain size, but it's quite a common occurence, and I think has been in since at least the beginning of last year.

I played in one on Saturday where it was CSS 69 for members, and 72/reductions only for visitors.

• 2 weeks later...

Been meaning to post this for a while.. (well, I just put it on my computer from my camera tonight)

This is the last Kickback golf outing. (I think) and these are most of the people teeing off on the first hole.

They may or may not remain anonymous.

I am the last person to tee off! Sorry about the quality of this, the sun was em, in the wrong place or something!

Enjoy!

Been meaning to post this for a while.. (well, I just put it on my computer from my camera tonight)

This is the last Kickback golf outing. (I think) and these are most of the people teeing off on the first hole.

I am the last person to tee off! Sorry about the quality of this, the sun was em, in the wrong place or something!

Enjoy!

A disappointing array of trousers.

My own are not dissimilar to these and they were instrumental in my taking the club matchplay championship (div 2) on Sunday. A must for all serious golfers.

thumb430242fb445de.jpg

scots civil war

this is precisely how punters outside of golf views us as weirdos

struth,those kecks are outrageous

:stuart:

playin muirfield sometime this week,anybod played there??? any advice?

Bomber Harris' Best Mate

Enjoy!

buggies

Two points in my defence.

First. I didn't have a shirt like that to go with them; just a plain one.

Second. That association between golfers and tartan strides is usually restricted to old, fat Americans not to lithe and athletic men in their prime who are able to carry it off.

If outsiders and non-believers wish to make judgements, I care not a jot.

The Mighty Thor

:stuart:

Take it in. Enjoy it. It'll be one of the quickest rounds of your life.

Bomber Harris' Best Mate

have a great day - played a 2 rounder a few years back, needed a 4 at the last for 79 and put the ball in the bunker at the right of the green

can't be ersed with all the jacket and tie stuff but an experience worth savouring

Hacked my way round a few years ago. Enjoy it and don't be intimidated by the name. It was hard but fair.

• 3 weeks later...
Bomber Harris' Best Mate

Last medal of the season and probably best (or at leats most consistent) I played

74 less 6 with an 8 on a par 5 (knocked one out of bounds :43:)

80% fairways

72% GiR

31 Putts

Hopefully I'll get another shot off for the 8, down to 5.7 if that's the case

scots civil war

good stuff

never made muirfield as the cheap deal never came to fruition......however,playing well at this time of the year and garnered a couple of decent stableford tallys at comps in the last few days around The Glen...

big improvements made this year on the swing but i still have that `mad hole`

an 8 at the 15th yesterday for example

Bomber Harris' Best Mate

are you podraig in disguise

The Mighty Thor
Last medal of the season and probably best (or at leats most consistent) I played

74 less 6 with an 8 on a par 5 (knocked one out of bounds :43:)

80% fairways

72% GiR

31 Putts

Hopefully I'll get another shot off for the 8, down to 5.7 if that's the case

good stuff

never made muirfield as the cheap deal never came to fruition......however,playing well at this time of the year and garnered a couple of decent stableford tallys at comps in the last few days around The Glen...

Aye bizarrely enough i've found some late season form as well. A couple of decent returns in Stableford comps resulting in a general play revision down by 1.0 to 6.7

Chuffed with that.

Just need to sort out the big stick as that's causing all the problems at the moment. I'm thinking of a custom fitted one so any suggestions gratefully received.

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
Aye bizarrely enough i've found some late season form as well. A couple of decent returns in Stableford comps resulting in a general play revision down by 1.0 to 6.7

Chuffed with that.

Just need to sort out the big stick as that's causing all the problems at the moment. I'm thinking of a custom fitted one so any suggestions gratefully received.

For some reason my driving is my most consistent part, usually if I drive well I score relatively well because I can get a nice 2nd shot in.

1st time I'd knocked the ball out of bounds this season - really annoyed because I hit it so far I could have went for the green in 2.

Anyway, you could do worse than the Ping G10

The Mighty Thor
Anyway, you could do worse than the Ping G10

There was nearly a Ping G10 in one of the tee-side bins at Winterfield this morning. :stuart:

I've had it for a few years now but my swing and handicap have changed a lot since i bought it. It's the G10 10.5 R-flex.

I think i need a stiffer shaft as i've developed a pretty severe dose of the Captain Cook's.

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
There was nearly a Ping G10 in one of the tee-side bins at Winterfield this morning. :stuart:

oh dear, sorry to hear that

The Mighty Thor
oh dear, sorry to hear that

No quite as sorry as my neebor in the winter league who was playing from some unusual spots this morning! :smiley2:

Played the Torrance course at Fairmont St Andrews today and the course was fantastic.

I've been lucky enough to play the Old Course and the Queens at Gleneagles this year but the course today was amazing. The greens, I feel, are better at the Old Course, but the Torrance as a whole was a better playing experience.

Played the Torrance course at Fairmont St Andrews today and the course was fantastic.

I've been lucky enough to play the Old Course and the Queens at Gleneagles this year but the course today was amazing. The greens, I feel, are better at the Old Course, but the Torrance as a whole was a better playing experience.

Yeah, Torrance course at St Andrews Bay is a good track.

Never been a fan of the Old Course. Sure, its got the history & 'awe-factor' going for it, but as an actual track its nowhere near as good as some of our other great links courses (e.g. Muirfield, Carnoustie, Nairn, Royal Dornoch).

In fact, I much prefer the test of the New Course at St Andrews, rather than the Old.

In saying that, the Old is still definitely a 'must-in-a-lifetime' play.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread