Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Hey Guys,

I'm taking part and helping to organise a charity event with a few fellow posters from hibs.net (bear with me!) - we're taking part in the MacMillan Longest Day of Golf on July 23rd, to raise funds for the MacMillan nurses.

I took part in the event with 3 mates from Uni, up in Dundee, and ended up raising ?1500. This year, there are 12 of us taking part, in 3x 4 balls. No doubt some of you will have read about Lawrence Stewart, one of the guys who is also taking part - he's had cancer 8 times and successfully beaten it on each occasion!

We're playing 4 courses (Bathgate, Uphall, Harburn and Dalmahoy) and have set out sponsor target at ?10k, which we're nicely moving towards (?3,200 already).

I'm not here to ask for money (although feel free :th_o:) but to enquire if any of you (or someone you know) are taking part? I'm trying to get a group of supporters from every SPL team taking part, and having a bit of fun, setting up a supporters league, to see which team has the best golfers following them! If I can get enough interest (at least one 4 ball from each SPL team), there will be a competition in the Autumn (top 4 scores) to find the ultimate winners! If any of you/someone you know ARE taking part, could you maybe PM me and let me know?

If not, then thanks for at least taking the time to read this. A wee bit more info on our day can be found:

Here

Cheers!

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

this_is_my_story
Just give up now ya hopeless cant. :smiley2:

:tongue:

You ever take the gowf back up again yourself Goz, or you too busy keeping an eye on the street these days?!

:tongue:

You ever take the gowf back up again yourself Goz, or you too busy keeping an eye on the street these days?!

I never mate no. Last time I played was back in the big GT days, when he was getting lessons so its probably been a good 6/7 years since I had a round. With the wee mans tae kwon do and swimming, coupled with work I never get time. If you fancy a round sometime after my holiday though I'd make time. I come back mid August. My contract is up in here the day before I go, so I cant take any time off work before I fly out.

this_is_my_story
I never mate no. Last time I played was back in the big GT days, when he was getting lessons so its probably been a good 6/7 years since I had a round. With the wee mans tae kwon do and swimming, coupled with work I never get time. If you fancy a round sometime after my holiday though I'd make time. I come back mid August. My contract is up in here the day before I go, so I cant take any time off work before I fly out.

Aye, could do that at some point. Play you for a tenner a hole. :10900:

Aye, could do that at some point. Play you for a tenner a hole. :10900:

It would be wrong of me to take money from a special person.

I'm not like that. :smiley2:

grumpy rebus
Hey Guys,

I'm taking part and helping to organise a charity event with a few fellow posters from hibs.net (bear with me!) - we're taking part in the MacMillan Longest Day of Golf on July 23rd, to raise funds for the MacMillan nurses.

I took part in the event with 3 mates from Uni, up in Dundee, and ended up raising ?1500. This year, there are 12 of us taking part, in 3x 4 balls. No doubt some of you will have read about Lawrence Stewart, one of the guys who is also taking part - he's had cancer 8 times and successfully beaten it on each occasion!

We're playing 4 courses (Bathgate, Uphall, Harburn and Dalmahoy) and have set out sponsor target at ?10k, which we're nicely moving towards (?3,200 already).

I'm not here to ask for money (although feel free :th_o:) but to enquire if any of you (or someone you know) are taking part? I'm trying to get a group of supporters from every SPL team taking part, and having a bit of fun, setting up a supporters league, to see which team has the best golfers following them! If I can get enough interest (at least one 4 ball from each SPL team), there will be a competition in the Autumn (top 4 scores) to find the ultimate winners! If any of you/someone you know ARE taking part, could you maybe PM me and let me know?

If not, then thanks for at least taking the time to read this. A wee bit more info on our day can be found:

Here

Cheers!

I did it on 22nd June, but our scores wouldn't scare anyone.

Good luck mate

scots civil war
How did you get on?

ello m8,loved your course,generous fairways and a very fair course with great holes all the way.there was no wind at all which made it feel unusual,indeed theres been hardly any wind this season .... i got humped 3n2 due to mixed reasons....the bloke being a bandit for sure and me being physically tired from working during the day..it got to a stage where i wasnt looking for his ball no more,with the sound of the shot coming off his clubface i just knew. he was on greens for net 1 stroke etc eh

no complaints,altho i was unhappy with my driving bigtime......got us back to all square at 13,then a combination of **** poor course management(driving into bunker on par 5 14?)and crap ball striking lost me the game by the 16th green....

its crap when you cant trust your swing,so its back to the drawing board for next week

next week,medal at glen and whitekirk open

Bomber Harris' Best Mate

2 medals on the trot ruined by slow tossers

2 balls taking 4 hours last week and 4 hours 30 today

will be stopping medals for the rest of the season and playing extras late on a sunday, 2 hours 45 max for them suits me

oh yeah, and people with electric trolleys should be banned from medals, just adds to the slow play and all the farting about with them round the greens

scots civil war

whats the point of hurrying up all the time......take your time over the shot and be brisk in between shots

im not a slow player by any means but the amount of pressure on the course coz of punters wanting to get round the course quickly is ridiculous nowadays

im walking off greens and punters are allready playing their approach shots,

hitting drives when you have still to get to your driven ball etc

electric trolleys banned from comps wtf?

it aint a race chief

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
whats the point of hurrying up all the time......take your time over the shot and be brisk in between shots

im not a slow player by any means but the amount of pressure on the course coz of punters wanting to get round the course quickly is ridiculous nowadays

im walking off greens and punters are allready playing their approach shots,

hitting drives when you have still to get to your driven ball etc

electric trolleys banned from comps wtf?

it aint a race chief

anyone taking longer than 3 hours 30 mins should be banned from the next medal, 4 hours gets a 3 medal suspension

scots civil war

lol u must play at a course under 6000yds then,or must be a very accurate player

allways 4.5hrs at the glen,re morning or afternoon

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
lol u must play at a course under 6000yds then,or must be a very accurate player

both :10900:

seriously, 4.5 hours is far too long

both :10900:

seriously, 4.5 hours is far too long

Far to long..

A 2 ball should take 3hrs 30. But it depends,,, Me and my mate played at 7.36 the last meadal and waited every bloody shot, the guys behind waited for us then there was about a 3 hole gap opened by the 18th.

It still took 3hrs 25 but should only have been about 3.

grumpy rebus
Far to long..

A 2 ball should take 3hrs 30. But it depends,,, Me and my mate played at 7.36 the last meadal and waited every bloody shot, the guys behind waited for us then there was about a 3 hole gap opened by the 18th.

It still took 3hrs 25 but should only have been about 3.

Did the wednesday sweep a couple of weeks ago and didn't get held up for the first time. Even in the heat, we were just on 3 hours.

Playing the Dukes this wednesday, so looking forward to 5 - 6 hours caught behind work outings/tourists:rifle::rifle:

Did the wednesday sweep a couple of weeks ago and didn't get held up for the first time. Even in the heat, we were just on 3 hours.

Playing the Dukes this wednesday, so looking forward to 5 - 6 hours caught behind work outings/tourists:rifle::rifle:

Take a buggy round the Dukes.. I've played it a few times and Its the only place I take them.

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
Me and my mate played at 7.36 the last meadal and waited every bloody shot,

you're probably like me, like to play at a good pace without not taking time over shots

some people ***** about too much at set up, take too many practice swings then stand over the ball too long before duffing one up the right

grumpy rebus
you're probably like me, like to play at a good pace without not taking time over shots

some people ***** about too much at set up, take too many practice swings then stand over the ball too long before duffing one up the right

I'm a high handicapper, but I prefer to walk up to the ball, pick a club, have a practice swing then hit it. If I get too much time to think about it, I start to believe I have talent and try to play shots beyond my ability.

Bigsmak, your right about the buggies, although it's not as bad since they changed the last few holes.

I think a round of golf should be under 4 hours, if i go round in a medal under 4 hours i am happy enough.

Played up at St Andrews bay a few weeks back and it took 5 1/2 hours to go round, stuck behind groups of Americans, it was soul destroying.

Carl Spackler

3.5hrs for a round is correct. Move quickly between shots, don't f&^k about too long looking for lost balls (you should have played a provisional if you think there's any chance of it being lost). Yes take your time over the shot if you have to but don't take the ****.

I been playing golf for over 20 years and I can honestly say that our course is slower on medal days than ever. We never took as long to play medal rounds as juniors. Too many mid-handicapped amateurs who think it makes that much difference if they play a six or a seven iron and stand there thinking about it and change between the two clubs once or twice. You aren't that accurate anyway, get on with it.

Then you get the groups of them that don't start thinking about their shot until their pal has finished his ritual. Think about your shot when you walk to the ball. You should be ready to start your shot as soon as your pal is finished.

I'd really like our club to start timing groups in medals and penalising dawdlers. It shouldn't be difficult to identify the culprits.

Hi,

If there are any outings planned for beginners then im keen to play. best score yesterday at ratio park 101. i know im crap but happy

grumpy rebus
Hi,

If there are any outings planned for beginners then im keen to play. best score yesterday at ratio park 101. i know im crap but happy

My type of player.

I'd go for it.

Some simple tips for quick play that not everyone does.

• Think about your shot before it is your turn to play
  • Leave your clubs on the side of the green near the next tee
  • Mark your card after you have teed off, not before
  • Tee off before you all start talking about the last hole
  • Always play a provisional if you think it might be lost
  • Have a spare marker in your pocket, if you are on the green and you need to mark your partners ball - do it

Sure there are lots of other ways. But generally, keep up with the game in front. If you lose a hole or more, you have to try and catch up or let the next game through.

Hi,

My type of player.

I'd go for it.

Send an e-mail to

[email protected]

and you'll get added to the e-mail lists.

grumpy rebus
I think a round of golf should be under 4 hours, if i go round in a medal under 4 hours i am happy enough.

Played up at St Andrews bay a few weeks back and it took 5 1/2 hours to go round, stuck behind groups of Americans, it was soul destroying.

Just back from the Dukes and we walked round in about 3.45. And that was looking for 9 balls in deepish rough during the round.

scots civil war

. Too many mid-handicapped amateurs who think it makes that much difference if they play a six or a seven iron and stand there thinking about it and change between the two clubs once or twice. You aren't that accurate anyway, get on with it.

ffs,what a pile of poo chief honestly lol

everybod is entitled to do what the **** they want and everyone of em are individual in how they prepare for each shot,as long as its done in reasonable time

id recomend the skycaddies for yardages they are top,and gets the punter a decision on clubs pretty damn soon

anybod got em? i can get em at a good price

id recomend the skycaddies for yardages they are top,and gets the punter a decision on clubs pretty damn soon

Always selling something aren't you!

ANYWAY..

OUTING TALK

Want to get one the last Sat before the season starts?

When would that be?

grumpy rebus
Always selling something aren't you!

ANYWAY..

OUTING TALK

Want to get one the last Sat before the season starts?

When would that be?

Sat 8th August.

I'd be interested.

I'll send out an e-mail tonight then..

8th it is..

Venue...

Somewhere in edinburgh that we can get to easy and get out for drinks after.

Suggestions please..

Just sent this out to our mailing list. if you are not on the mailing list send an e-mail to [email protected] and I'll get you added.

I want names as soon as possible and I'll collect deposits before as its the best way to get people stop calling of at the last minute! (I hate it when people do that :smiley2:)

Gents,

We are planning an outing on the 8th of August. This is a Saturday, the last one before the football season starts.

We have yet to pick a venue, but looking for something close by so we can all enjoy a nice drink or ten afterwards (so not worrying about driving). Lots of good local courses as you know.

Having spoke to a few course managers recently I know that we can get a good deal on a group just now as all the corporate stuff has dried up and they are desperate for bookings. (woo hoo for the credit crunch!) We should be spending less than ?30 including some food afterwards.

Standard - Now a few people have expressed concern that they are of a higher handicap or not even got one. But we welcome them and its a good chance to come play in a 'friendly' atmosphere where no one really is trying that hard. lol (well one or two will be)

So - please see this thread - http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49779 on kickback to give us your course suggestions. You suggest, I'll find out the cost and will get it sorted.

As before I will set up a pay pal option for getting in a small deposit, maybe ?10 -?15.

We have a Facebook page here - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=78854943769

Right, that was a long one, so any questions, get me at the usual place. I would like to see more than our record 22 at this one.. So lets get this organised and it would be great if you can all make it!

PS - Hibs are rubbish!

ArmiyaRomanova

It's the same day as the Sunderland game.

Any chance of a move?

(I'm a terrible player and would be no loss, but am interested)

It's the same day as the Sunderland game.

Any chance of a move?

(I'm a terrible player and would be no loss, but am interested)

What day would suit then?

I cant do the 1st or 2nd and I wanted to have it on a sat.

To be honest.. I am not bothered about the Sunderland game, if it was a really good team coming like Barca again then maybe.. but this isn't an important one!

ArmiyaRomanova
What day would suit then?

I cant do the 1st or 2nd and I wanted to have it on a sat.

To be honest.. I am not bothered about the Sunderland game, if it was a really good team coming like Barca again then maybe.. but this isn't an important one!

About any other would suit me. Just thought that there might be others who've already got tix for the game.

I P Knightley

We never took as long to play medal rounds as juniors.

I find that the juniors (13-17 year olds) are among the worst culprits on our course. They go out all togged up in the latest branded gear, dressing up as Paul Casey or Adam Scott or someone (apparently it's not cool to be Tiger Woods).

Although they can hit the ball a decent distance, the amount of faffing around when they're over a shot is remarkable. They tend to follow each other to their shots so that they stay as a bunch of 3 or 4, never splitting up to just go over and hit their ball before meeting again at the green.

The routines they go through on the greens are comical - walking round the putt to see it from every angle; standing up; crouching down; dangling the putter; practice putts beside the ball; practice putts half way along the line to the hole & so on. Fine to take a bit of care in a match or a comp but these guys do it in friendlies.

I'm not usually one to get too stressed by golf but I've been known to send out a few warning shouts for these youngsters & get them into shape.

They're keeping me from my beer.

. id recomend the skycaddies for yardages they are top,and gets the punter a decision on clubs pretty damn soon

My best mate has the Sky Caddy and a Bushnell's rangefinder (he likes his gadgets, does Si!)

I don't think it makes the slightest difference on your home course. You're either a faffer or you're not.

If you're a faffer with a sky caddy, you know that it's 146 yards to the flag but you'll still have the debate whether it's an 8- or 7-, or maybe with this wind and the drop to the green, it could be a 9-; or the lie of the ball's not great and my feet are above the ball so it might be a... etc.

Funniest bit I saw with the caddy was on our 17th. The (Par 3) 18th tee is to the right of the 17th fairway, near the area you'll be taking your second from with, at most, a 9-iron. Although he's played the course a thousand times, Si looked at the caddy which had moved on to the 18th, which he didn't notice. He hit a beautiful shot, directly on line with the flag but it sailed over the green & the trees behind and probably the river behind the trees behind the green. Best 6-iron shot he's ever taken.

Useful tool, though, when you go visiting new courses.

I'm game but I'm really busy during August with the festival/work and would probably like to go to the Sunderland game, although I haven't got a ticket yet.

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
I'd really like our club to start timing groups in medals and penalising dawdlers. It shouldn't be difficult to identify the culprits.

My letter is going into the council suggesting the very thing :10900:

I P Knightley

Watching the Open at lunch time, they showed a wee comparison of Tom Watson 1977 to yesterday. One thing struck me was that nobody wore any headgear in 1977 whereas nowadays, they all have either a baseball hat or a gay visor.

Of course, it's marketing rather than fashion or preference that dictates this but I'm wondering how many JKB golfers wear a peaked hat and why?

I never do, myself, and never will - just don't like wearing hats (even when skiing, it's only if it's absolutely freezing). I keep the sun out of my eyes with a nifty pair of polarized shades.

Midloth_Iain

My best mate has the Sky Caddy and a Bushnell's rangefinder (he likes his gadgets, does Si!)

I don't think it makes the slightest difference on your home course. You're either a faffer or you're not.

I was down at Rutherford Castle about 6 weeks ago on an outing. One of the guys there (who had never played there before) had Sky Caddy with him and had loaded the course details into the machine the night before.

He couldnt understand why his yardages and positions were so inaccurate - until we told him the course had recently changed layouts, (the old 1st and 2nd holes now being the 17th and 18th), therefore every hole on the course being wrong !!.

Clearly the Sky Caddy database was out of date :10900:

Midloth_Iain

8th August is Medal Day at Liberton but I might forego that it if an outing can be arranged........ :2thumbsup:

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
but I'm wondering how many JKB golfers wear a peaked hat and why?

never, just whap the sun cream on to protect the napper

grumpy rebus
never, just whap the sun cream on to protect the napper

Sometimes wear a cap, in the rain, or to keep the sun out of my eyes.

scots civil war

got a couple of bucket hats.....one white and one black.depends on circumstances.....weather,concentration,bad light etc

dont like baseball caps

id prob be up for a game .......what course,only edinburgh? whats that new swanston layout like?

Cyprus Jambo

I'll be at the Sunderland game. Good to see you are trying to get this off the ground again. Maybe you will finally win one!!!!

Watch out for the bandits, especially Big Ginger ones!!!!!

grumpy rebus

They're taking 3.45 - 4 hours in the 3rd round of the open.

If they can play at that speed in the BIGGEST competition in the world, there's surely no need for 4 - 5 hour rounds in club medals.:rifle:

The Mighty Thor

Anyone down for the Haldane Cup at Gullane 2 this weekend?

be good to know if any fellow KB'ers are in.

The Mighty Thor
never managed to get a form for that one

who runs it ? try and get as a reserve

play well anyway chief

anybod checked em david leadbetter swingsetterpractice aids out? thoughts

http://www.thegolfshoponline.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=main.dspSingleProduct&productId=3038

Not really sure who runs it but one of my mates got a time yesterday by phoning Gullane. There's usually a good few cancellations on the Friday and Saturday before the comp on Sunday!

Its actually a Dirleton Castle comp....

Try http://www.dirletoncastlegolfclub.org.uk/indexaaaaaa.html

There is an entry form at the bottom of the page, its in PDF format and has the Secretaries home phone number that I am not posting here!

Or - phone the Gullane Club on 01620 842255

If you win you'll get to meet my old man... He'll present the prize!

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread