Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Know what you mean with that mate. I'm off 24 and struggling to get near it on stroke-play, but I can easily go 8-8-7-4-4-3-5-6 or something similar and end up beating lower handicaps. When I don't win, I'm usually done by about the 13th or 14th.

It's all about consistency and I ain't got any. (Even with some of my better holes, it's more scrambled than good strikes!)

Playing an outing at Balwearie in a few weeks, then the longest day challenge on the 22nd, so should be interesting.

fully understand and empathise with your point about not being able to reduce the handicap. it's probably just a psychological thing with players.

the handicap system does allow for it though. for handicapping purposes, the worst score you can take on any hole is a nett double bogey. if per the stroke index you are getting 1 shot on a par 4, the club computer will only allow a maximum score of 7 for the hole so it gives the higher guys a wee cushion.

i suppose it will be disheartening to have couple of horror scores but it's always handy to keep in mind that your score for handicap isn't necessarily buggered.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

grumpy rebus
fully understand and empathise with your point about not being able to reduce the handicap. it's probably just a psychological thing with players.

the handicap system does allow for it though. for handicapping purposes, the worst score you can take on any hole is a nett double bogey. if per the stroke index you are getting 1 shot on a par 4, the club computer will only allow a maximum score of 7 for the hole so it gives the higher guys a wee cushion.

i suppose it will be disheartening to have couple of horror scores but it's always handy to keep in mind that your score for handicap isn't necessarily buggered.

Couple of years ago I was playing off 26, but had an 88 in a medal. I couldn't work out how I did it until I looked at the card. I was 3 over for each of the first two holes, and then I obviously relaxed as I thought my round was screwed. Then shot 73 for 16 holes!

What a bl00dy game.

I P Knightley
Couple of years ago I was playing off 26, but had an 88 in a medal. I couldn't work out how I did it until I looked at the card. I was 3 over for each of the first two holes, and then I obviously relaxed as I thought my round was screwed. Then shot 73 for 16 holes!

What a bl00dy game.

It's fascinating just how psychological the game can be. I had a round today that started of with a bogeys and doubles except for a birdie on 4. After 8 holes, the two of us were joined by a third, we made up a silly comp between us and I did the last 10 in 3 over. I hadn't done anything conscious to change my game (I wouldn't know where to begin) but I put it down to the change in company.

The Mighty Thor
It's fascinating just how psychological the game can be. I had a round today that started of with a bogeys and doubles except for a birdie on 4. After 8 holes, the two of us were joined by a third, we made up a silly comp between us and I did the last 10 in 3 over. I hadn't done anything conscious to change my game (I wouldn't know where to begin) but I put it down to the change in company.

It was probably just you adjusting the bandit mask so you could see better........:2thumbsup:zorro_mask.jpg

I P Knightley
It was probably just you adjusting the bandit mask so you could see better........:2thumbsup:zorro_mask.jpg

Might get one of those for my next match!

They're not ruled out by our dress code :)

Carl Spackler
http://www.castlestuartgolf.com/course.html

The course on the above liknk is opening very soon near to where I live. How brilliant does it look?

I know somebody that played that 6 months ago as part of its review and development. It's meant to be superb.

Same architect that did Kings Barnes and Loch Lomond I seem to recall. I may be wrong.

Guess The Crowd
I know somebody that played that 6 months ago as part of its review and development. It's meant to be superb.

Same architect that did Kings Barnes and Loch Lomond I seem to recall. I may be wrong.

Not sure about Loch Lomond, but you're right about Kingsbarns.

grumpy rebus

Just played Lundin Links today and started 4 (par)- 4 (par)- 4 (par) 5 (bogey but SI 1) and 5 (double bogey). Had a 46 for the front nine. Started the back nine 5 (bogey) - 7 (double) - NR - 7 (double) and 5 (double) for a 48 + NR.

That's why I'm 24!!

Right all you 24 handicapper people out there.. (and around about)

This is how you lower your handicap.

1 - Learn that the most important shot on any hole is your 3rd shot.

If you hit the fairway with a 5 iron, hit another 5 iron down the middle and then a wedge to 5 ft and hole the put you get the same score as someone who hit a 320yrd drive with a wedge onto the green and 2 putted.

If you can practice a little on your short game you will lower your handicap.

2 - Work out where you are going wrong. I have a computer program that I will give to you if you want (e-mail me - below) and I will send it to you. It lets you put in what you did on each hole. Takes about 2 mins to fill in a round. So after 10 - 20 rounds it will give you a good indication where you are going wrong (3 putting, missing the fairway or the green in reg) and you can work on your game accordingly.

3 - Get your long putting sorted. This takes practice but the more 2 puts you have the lower your handicap will be

4 - And your blooming short puts. Don't miss 3 footers.

If you can do all that.. You will drop very quickly.

grumpy rebus
Right all you 24 handicapper people out there.. (and around about)

This is how you lower your handicap.

1 - Learn that the most important shot on any hole is your 3rd shot.

If you hit the fairway with a 5 iron, hit another 5 iron down the middle and then a wedge to 5 ft and hole the put you get the same score as someone who hit a 320yrd drive with a wedge onto the green and 2 putted.

If you can practice a little on your short game you will lower your handicap.

2 - Work out where you are going wrong. I have a computer program that I will give to you if you want (e-mail me - below) and I will send it to you. It lets you put in what you did on each hole. Takes about 2 mins to fill in a round. So after 10 - 20 rounds it will give you a good indication where you are going wrong (3 putting, missing the fairway or the green in reg) and you can work on your game accordingly.

3 - Get your long putting sorted. This takes practice but the more 2 puts you have the lower your handicap will be

4 - And your blooming short puts. Don't miss 3 footers.

If you can do all that.. You will drop very quickly.

I'll drop you an e-mail for the programme, but already pretty sure of the problem - the amazing ability to slice every club up to the putter, but not regularly!

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Two women were playing golf. One teed off and watched In horror as her ball headed directly toward a foursome of men playing the next hole.

The ball hit one of the men. He immediately clasped his hands together at his groin, fell to the ground and proceeded to roll around in agony.

The woman rushed down to the man, and immediately began to apologize.

'Please allow me to help. I'm a Physical Therapist and I know I could relieve your pain if you'd allow me, she told him.

'Oh, no, I'll be all right. I'll be fine in a few minutes,' the man replied He was in obvious agony, lying in the fetal position, still clasping his hands there at his groin.

At her persistence, however, he finally allowed her to help. She gently took his hands away and laid them to the side, loosened his pants and put her hands inside.

She administered tender and artful massage for several long moments and asked, 'How does that feel'?

He replied: It feels great, but I think my thumb's still broken!

I P Knightley

My club is hosting some kind of inter-counties championship for the lady golfers this week. I was down this morning for a wee knock around and stopped to have a look at some of the blart in the competition. There was some talent there - and I don't mean that in the I8 kind of way (although that might be true as well.)

There's a 17 year old lass from Hampshire by the name of Katie Thompson (I think that's the surname) and she's likely to make a name for herself in the coming years. Her drives carry 300 yards - not always straight - and her iron play is sublime. That talk was that her coach (US golf scholarship) has told her she's hitting the ball too far so that's her choking down on it.

Our SI1 is a 440 yard par 4 (probably par 5 & SI9 for the bursd) with a river crossing 40-50 yards short of the green. Her drive was in the fairway bunker beside the 200 yard marker. She took a 4 iron from the sand and plopped is straight on the green.

The laddies' SI1 is a 395 yard par 4 playing into the wind. Her second shot to the green was with a lob wedge.

And yes, you probably would (subject to age concerns, of course).

Edited by I P Knightley

Hi Guy's (& ladies),

As most of you know (and this is not a request for business), I run golf trips to Scotland & Ireland for the ham shanks. (Duffers Golf Travel).

Recently, I started looking at doing things in reverse, bringing you guys over to the US. Aye, everybody has done Florida and Myrtle Beach, (which I can arrange), but then something clicked.

As you can now fly from Edinburgh with Continental and Delta, why not come to the Nation's capital, Washington D.C., where not only can you see the sights of this city, but play golf as well. A short ride away is Ocean City MD, which is fast becoming a golf mecca in itself, with some great courses and located on the beach, so fun for all and with some great nightlife. There are also some great courses on the way.

If anyone is interested, just give me a shout. I can even be your chauffeur for the duration.

Bill

PS. I'm home in a few weeks for the Open as I'm hosting a couple of groups, but will have a few spare days to tee it up. I do have some spare tee times as well. The Glen, North Berwick and Gullane No.2

Edited by bill duff

Guess The Crowd
Hi Guy's (& ladies),

As most of you know (and this is not a request for business), I run golf trips to Scotland & Ireland for the ham shanks. (Duffers Golf Travel).

Recently, I started looking at doing things in reverse, bringing you guys over to the US. Aye, everybody has done Florida and Myrtle Beach, (which I can arrange), but then something clicked.

As you can now fly from Edinburgh with Continental and Delta, why not come to the Nation's capital, Washington D.C., where not only can you see the sights of this city, but play golf as well. A short ride away is Ocean City MD, which is fast becoming a golf mecca in itself, with some great courses and located on the beach, so fun for all and with some great nightlife. There are also some great courses on the way.

If anyone is interested, just give me a shout. I can even be your chauffeur for the duration.

Bill

PS. I'm home in a few weeks for the Open as I'm hosting a couple of groups, but will have a few spare days to tee it up. I do have some spare tee times as well. The Glen, North Berwick and Gullane No.2

Did Myrtle beach last year, loved it. Waiting for the pound to recover further against the dollar. What are the, erm, 'gentleman's clubs' like?:10900:

grumpy rebus
Did Myrtle beach last year, loved it. Waiting for the pound to recover further against the dollar. What are the, erm, 'gentleman's clubs' like?:10900:

Did Daytona Beach (LPGA courses and Victoria Hills) in Nov 06 and the off course entertainment was quite good. Once I can convince the missus again, I'll certainly be back.

They are full of Gentlemen funnily enough. However, I have seen some scantily clad young ladies pretending to be firemen, sliding down poles.

I do know why they have kept paper money over here as well. To stop the coins falling out of thier garter belts. It's a costly pastime :).

Serioulsy, that might be the only thing lacking in Ocean City, but there's plenty of them in DC. Regular nightlife in OC is great.

Any questions, just PM me.

Bill

grumpy rebus
I'm playing Harburn in West Calder tomorrow. Anyone played it? Whats the place like?

A few years back at an outing. It was ok, but watch out for the trains!

• 2 weeks later...
flecktimus

I am just starting to get a game back together now (9 Pars & 1 Birdie on Monday off 16 Handicap)

Playing in the medal on Saturday should i go full tilt at it or save myself for the big invitation day on July 26.

I P Knightley
I am just starting to get a game back together now (9 Pars & 1 Birdie on Monday off 16 Handicap)

Playing in the medal on Saturday should i go full tilt at it or save myself for the big invitation day on July 26.

Full tilt for me.

I was in the same position, getting my swing together and averaging about 1.7-8 putts in a round. Entered the medal with the idea of getting a cut. Hit an effing 10 on the second as I got into deep, deep rough with my second and my playing partner (the rotter) found my ball. Took 5 to nudge it out of the cabbage before a chip and two stabs.

When we're playing to score well with the heat on, there'll always be something to come along and eff it up. Might as well try just as hard every time.

i guess it all depends on what your goals are at the end of the day. either to shoot the best scores you can possibly shoot and thereby achieve the best possible handicap, or win medal play prizes.

for me it's always got to be trying to get the best scores possible, and the resultant handicap. i can't see any glory or kudos in winning stuff off a handicap mark which hasn't been 100% genuinely brought about.

in no way am i having a go but to win things off a 'saved' handicap is merely artificial, contrived and basically worthless.

i honestly think you'll get far more out of the game by slogging your guts out in each and every medal you play.

grumpy rebus
Im playing The Kings course at Gleneagles on sunday,anybody played it before,whats the course like?

Not played it for a while, but it was stunning, especially some of the holes around the turn (can't remember which, dementia sucks).

I'm playing Harburn in West Calder tomorrow. Anyone played it? Whats the place like?

That's my home course mate. H'cap 8 (7.5) at the moment.

How did you enjoy it?

Where's your home course?

I played the Carrick, Loch Lomond on Sunday. Lovely place, good looking course, but the bunkers were keek and when there's about 6-10 on each hole it matters...

grumpy rebus
That's my home course mate. H'cap 8 (7.5) at the moment.

How did you enjoy it?

Where's your home course?

I played the Carrick, Loch Lomond on Sunday. Lovely place, good looking course, but the bunkers were keek and when there's about 6-10 on each hole it matters...

Heard a lot of good reports about the Carrick. I'm trying my best to get an invite (work related). Is it worth the effort?

scots civil war

playig gullane 1 for the first time on tuesday night

im giving shots away on 2,5,7,10,11,14,17

not nice at all,can any bod (bigsmak?) enlighten me on these holes as i cant seem to get much info from the site

playing in grant cup at glen tomorrow ,then off to longniddry for their open........phewwweeee

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
playig gullane 1 for the first time on tuesday night

im giving shots away on 2,5,7,10,11,14,17

2nd has a very tight approach

5th is a dog leg uphill I think - long

7th (cannae mind)

10th - quite long

11th - nice downhill hole

14th - cracking par 5, uphill dog leg

17th - like the 17th on 2

Bomber Harris' Best Mate

for the first time in as long as I recall, I had a medal this year when I had more putts than shots - 37 shots, 38 putts

for the first time in as long as I recall, I had a medal this year when I had more putts than shots - 37 shots, 38 putts

that can tend to happen when you're playing really well.

hitting more greens in regulation obviously means hitting less shots but it invariably means putting from distance a large percentage of the time, perhaps sometimes from off the green... vastly increasing the chances of 3 putts and vastly decreasing the chances of single putting.

i've found that a lot of times that the better you hit the ball, the score can end up becoming difficult to make.

weird.

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
that can tend to happen when you're playing really well.

hitting more greens in regulation obviously means hitting less shots but it invariably means putting from distance a large percentage of the time, perhaps sometimes from off the green... vastly increasing the chances of 3 putts and vastly decreasing the chances of single putting.

I think you are spot on, hadn't thought of it that way

My strategy for tomorrow is play ****e but chip and putt more

Bomber Harris' Best Mate

if you're playing well get the best score, the following day you might start playing like a 16 handicapper again

I think you are spot on, hadn't thought of it that way

:) if only it could be that easy.

i think there are just so many things that have to fall right on any particular day to enable a really good score to come about. i suppose you have to be hitting it reasonably well in the first place, plus other things like avoiding 3 putting, holing a few singles and as you say... getting up & down well.

the one over-riding thing i've found over the years when it comes to compiling the best medal scores is that the best ones tend to sneak up on you towards the end of the round. maybe a decent enough out-9 and a solid start to the back-9 and a nice storming final 3 holes (maybe a couple of birdies)... hey presto you're round in ** (whatever the player's standard might be).

it's a very difficult thing in a medal to turn a storming front 9 into a good score.

Bomber Harris' Best Mate

it's a very difficult thing in a medal to turn a storming front 9 into a good score.

last medal I was out in 35 (level) back in 39

most of my better scores are because I've come back in 32 or 33

2nd has a very tight approach

5th is a dog leg uphill I think - long

7th (cannae mind)

10th - quite long

11th - nice downhill hole

14th - cracking par 5, uphill dog leg - its a par 4 and straigh

17th - like the 17th on 2

2 - Make sure you hit the fairway. Your line from the tee is the bunker on the right of the fairway

5 - Long hole that high handicapers struggle on. Need a long drive with a bit of draw. Add one club on the approach as its uphill. Also the green is very fast from back to front. Try not to go past the hole if you have a short (3rd) approach.

7 - Hit a 5 iron off the tee if there is no wind or if it is behind. At the moment drives are being gobbled up in the big bunkers - Its quite downhill. 400 yards

10th - long and straight -

11th keep to the right of the black and white marker for your tee shot or the bunkers might catch you (you really don't want this) - the green runs away from you and everything goes right to left. be wary of the greenside gront left bunker.. it catches a lot

14th.. long drive will set you up nice.. Aim to the right of the left bunker, this gives you an easier approach shot.

17. if the wind is behind, hit an iron. there is a Plato about 125yrd from the green on the right of the fairway.. if you hit this it makes the approach easier. the green runs away from you.

in general - 2 5 10 11 and 14, high handicappers really struggle with these holes (as do good golfers sometimes) .. if you hit the ball further than him you will have a good chance of neutralising the strokes. Even some 15 handicappers can't hit these greens with their best two shots.

7 and 17.. just see what happens. if he plays two good shots you are in trouble

other advice. -

on the 6th hit an iron or low wood, be on the left of the fairway.

the par 5s tell you how they need to be played.,..Look at the bunkers and you need to play shots up the correct side of the fairway.

If you go in the bunkers.. make sure you get out. Don't try to steal too much length.

Again with the rough, make sure it gets out.. Its not nice and getting harder. Keep a good eye on the ball and you should play a provisional as they are a nightmare to find.

scots civil war

that is superb chief,thanks very much

real looking forward to gullane 1,nice

the comp is named,the ladies cup !!!! but its for blokes,it was donated by gullane ladies and probably its them having a laugh at our expense

I P Knightley
that is superb chief,thanks very much

real looking forward to gullane 1,nice

the comp is named,the ladies cup !!!! but its for blokes,it was donated by gullane ladies and probably its them having a laugh at our expense

Let's hope you get a nice wee present from the ladies should)you do well :0

Shot a 73 this morning on number 1. Course is in great nick. 73% of Greens in reg but only 60% of fairways (I love my new computer program) ... missed no puts under 6ft but didn't hole anything over that. Could have been a lot lower. came off a few greens missing really makable birdie chances.

Ladies cup is the best value golf in the world. You can get up to 8 rounds I think on Number 1 for ?10. If you are a member of an East Lothian golf club. I got to the semis one year.

Its hard for lower handicaps to play as you are giving away so many strokes.

Good luck and let me know how you get on. I am playing number 3 on Wed night in a team match... What time you playing.. I could meet you before the game if you want?

Shot a 73 this morning on number 1. Course is in great nick. 73% of Greens in reg but only 60% of fairways (I love my new computer program) ... missed no puts under 6ft but didn't hole anything over that. Could have been a lot lower. came off a few greens missing really makable birdie chances.

Ladies cup is the best value golf in the world. You can get up to 8 rounds I think on Number 1 for ?10. If you are a member of an East Lothian golf club. I got to the semis one year.

Its hard for lower handicaps to play as you are giving away so many strokes.

Good luck and let me know how you get on. I am playing number 3 on Wed night in a team match... What time you playing.. I could meet you before the game if you want?

that is a tremendous score on a proper hard course. well done.

i was just playing a bounce game but was back in 32 (-2) however i had 4 chances for birdies within 10-12 feet which were all left short on our sluggish greens. could easily have been back in 28-30. longest putt i holed was 2 feet.

still, gullane 1 is a different prospect and that score you had is impressive.

flecktimus
i guess it all depends on what your goals are at the end of the day. either to shoot the best scores you can possibly shoot and thereby achieve the best possible handicap, or win medal play prizes.

for me it's always got to be trying to get the best scores possible, and the resultant handicap. i can't see any glory or kudos in winning stuff off a handicap mark which hasn't been 100% genuinely brought about.

in no way am i having a go but to win things off a 'saved' handicap is merely artificial, contrived and basically worthless.

i honestly think you'll get far more out of the game by slogging your guts out in each and every medal you play.

Tried my best and ended up playing like a right wally.

Ah well there always Wednesday.

Good to see that all the replies where basically to try ones best as one should always :10900:

Bomber Harris' Best Mate

almost worked

played tom kite but my chipping and putting was also tom kite

too slow for me, the 2 ball in front were on for over 4 hours so took an early bath

Bomber Harris' Best Mate

anyone doing Loch Lomond this week

I am taking the wee felly for the practice day

Got some cracking photos of him last time with Sergio, Westwood, Clarke, Monty, Donald, Jimenez

scots civil war

at gullane 1 on tuesday evening b.s

im sure il see you around at some point but hey thats a superb score round there yest.....im hoping the greens are fast,as the glens are boringly slow for such a great summer so far

put my score in the compute yest after going round the glen and lo and behold,theres my opponent at the top of the tree with 41 points recorded.....hes off 18

looks like il be looking for somebod with a sombrero and poncho at teatime on tuesday

ppppffffggggghhhhh !!!!!!!

at gullane 1 on tuesday evening b.s

im sure il see you around at some point but hey thats a superb score round there yest.....im hoping the greens are fast,as the glens are boringly slow for such a great summer so far

put my score in the compute yest after going round the glen and lo and behold,theres my opponent at the top of the tree with 41 points recorded.....hes off 18

looks like il be looking for somebod with a sombrero and poncho at teatime on tuesday

ppppffffggggghhhhh !!!!!!!

lol.. Thats why I don't play the ladies cup anymore... O I could hardly sleep last night as I really think I dropped between 5-7 easy shots yesterday, I played so well... Still you cant have everything,

Didn't realise you are a member at the Glen.. I like it. The greens on 1 are faster, not lightening, but they are running very, very true. Your put will go where you hit it. Sometimes this is a good thing, other times.. lol

scots civil war

glen is a test,rough is way up at the moment

i played longniddry yest as well and thinking of joining there next year

anyone heading to turnberry for the big one in a few weeks ???

could and should have shot the flaming lights out in the competition today but had to settle for a nett 67 (-2). it's always nice to get something off the handicap to balance the times you go up, especially the the times when you're just outside the buffer.

one of these days, one of these bloody days...

this_is_my_story

Just started taking the game up again fairly recently after not having played for many years. Been to a couple of driving ranges and played a few rounds with a mate of mine who's a good player (used to play off 4, he's not had that updated for a while though), and some of his advice has helped me a lot - not overly complicated instructions, just fairly straight forward things that I've just simply never been told to do/not do, and it's given me a greater appreciation of the game.

Still a wee bit 'scared' of the driver, and usually hit a 3 wood of the tee, which I can hit around 210-230 yards fairly consistently with my natural shot usually always having a slight fade - the problem I have is that the longer the iron I hit, the larger the tendency is for the fade to become a wee bit more than slight!! The shot still 'feels' good though, and I can get the ball up and away, but it'll curve way off to the right. My mate seems to think I'm putting my weight back on to my left a little too early at times during the swing, which he says can contribute towards slicing, but this weight transfer thing seems to be something I'm having a little trouble timing correctly. And sure enough, when I just decide to sort of miss out the weight transfer and position my weight as neutrally as I can throughout the whole swing, the fade is still there - but is at least more of a fade than a pronounced slice.

Having had a read through the thread, it seems a few of you lads know what you're talking about, any wee bits of advice would be gratefully received - sometimes it's maybe just the smallest little changes that make all the difference!

I'm sure we can all agree (or maybe the slightly less gifted golfers like myself can!!) that it can be such a frustrating game at times, but I'm able this time around not to let it be stopping my enjoyment of the game. There's just something right good about hitting a cracking golf shot! :smiley2:

Just started taking the game up again fairly recently after not having played for many years. Been to a couple of driving ranges and played a few rounds with a mate of mine who's a good player (used to play off 4, he's not had that updated for a while though), and some of his advice has helped me a lot - not overly complicated instructions, just fairly straight forward things that I've just simply never been told to do/not do, and it's given me a greater appreciation of the game.

Still a wee bit 'scared' of the driver, and usually hit a 3 wood of the tee, which I can hit around 210-230 yards fairly consistently with my natural shot usually always having a slight fade - the problem I have is that the longer the iron I hit, the larger the tendency is for the fade to become a wee bit more than slight!! The shot still 'feels' good though, and I can get the ball up and away, but it'll curve way off to the right. My mate seems to think I'm putting my weight back on to my left a little too early at times during the swing, which he says can contribute towards slicing, but this weight transfer thing seems to be something I'm having a little trouble timing correctly. And sure enough, when I just decide to sort of miss out the weight transfer and position my weight as neutrally as I can throughout the whole swing, the fade is still there - but is at least more of a fade than a pronounced slice.

Having had a read through the thread, it seems a few of you lads know what you're talking about, any wee bits of advice would be gratefully received - sometimes it's maybe just the smallest little changes that make all the difference!

I'm sure we can all agree (or maybe the slightly less gifted golfers like myself can!!) that it can be such a frustrating game at times, but I'm able this time around not to let it be stopping my enjoyment of the game. There's just something right good about hitting a cracking golf shot! :smiley2:

Just give up now ya hopeless cant. :smiley2:

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread