Budapest

Poseidon

Having my stag in Budapest in July, have heard good things but has anyone specific info on which clubs are worth going to. There'll probably be about 15 of us, probably half of them looking for female company...

Also, have heard some horror stories about strip clubs and folk getting beaten up unless they pay hundreds of quid. Anyone any info on where to go/avoid? (for friends obviously)

skotskosparta
Having my stag in Budapest in July, have heard good things but has anyone specific info on which clubs are worth going to. There'll probably be about 15 of us, probably half of them looking for female company...

Also, have heard some horror stories about strip clubs and folk getting beaten up unless they pay hundreds of quid. Anyone any info on where to go/avoid? (for friends obviously)

Same advice as Prague, keep off the main squares for bargains, DO NOT exchange money with street dealers, also the pick pockets are very good down there, better than Prague.

On a whole very similar to Prague but more expensive and yes their are some horrific stories about the strip bars, do not go to ones out in the sticks.

Always check http://www.tripadvisor.com before you travel.

They have forums about every major city with local experts who give out really good advice.

It was invaluable when I went to Riga, and there will be people who have done Budapest for stag do's who will share there experiences, and make sure you don't make the same mistakes.

Always check http://www.tripadvisor.com before you travel.

They have forums about every major city with local experts who give out really good advice.

It was invaluable when I went to Riga, and there will be people who have done Budapest for stag do's who will share there experiences, and make sure you don't make the same mistakes.

Usually use tripadvisor for just about everything so will definitely check out the forums a bit nearer the time. And cheers for the tip about the street cash exchange Skotsko, I'm not one to fall for that kind of trick but I'm sure there'll be some in the party that'll need reminded.

a tip for budapest is beware on the underground system. you are given a tiny ticket with the rules of the metro on the back. it is about half the size of the ticket from LRT so is impossible to read. you are supposed to stamp the ticket in the machine or the ticket is not valid, if you have a multi trip ticket it needs stamped on the other end when you change from say the yellow to the red line. i thought i had done enough when i was using the metro but at every station they have very heavy handed security gaurds checking tickets. i got a 20 quid fine which went right in his back pocket. on another note got to visit the thermal baths, the one in the city park is the best called szechenyi. cost about 10 quid. the baths outside are roasting and get rid of your hangover brilliantly. also stick to local beer and you want spend too much, about 1.50 to 2 pound a pint in the bars. anything else is very expensive. scottish bar called caledonia behind the main street in pest has sky tv showing all the footy it has setanta too but they will only show old firm games on it.

enjoy.

skotskosparta
a tip for budapest is beware on the underground system. you are given a tiny ticket with the rules of the metro on the back. it is about half the size of the ticket from LRT so is impossible to read. you are supposed to stamp the ticket in the machine or the ticket is not valid, if you have a multi trip ticket it needs stamped on the other end when you change from say the yellow to the red line. i thought i had done enough when i was using the metro but at every station they have very heavy handed security gaurds checking tickets. i got a 20 quid fine which went right in his back pocket. on another note got to visit the thermal baths, the one in the city park is the best called szechenyi. cost about 10 quid. the baths outside are roasting and get rid of your hangover brilliantly. also stick to local beer and you want spend too much, about 1.50 to 2 pound a pint in the bars. anything else is very expensive. scottish bar called caledonia behind the main street in pest has sky tv showing all the footy it has setanta too but they will only show old firm games on it.

enjoy.

Conn Artist, looks like you were conned!!

The system and rules are the exact same as Prague.

Buy a ticket, validate it and use it til the time runs out. No re-stamping required, in fact if you re-stamp then the ticket is deemed invalid.

Here is the rules

""Tickets have to be validated at the entrance with the orange-coloured machines before taking the escalator, and they have to be kept until leaving the metro. At validation, the current date and time is printed on tickets along with station information. Tickets are checked manually by the pass controllers, who usually turn up at stations near the escalators, but they may inspect tickets anywhere within the metro area; tickets or passes must be handed over to them on request. They wear a blue ribbon with golden inscription around their wrists, but they may hide it before the actual inspection. An automatized entrance system has been planned for a long time to be introduced in the metro and later on all the other means of public transport in Budapest - however there are still no factual plans published by the transport company (as of 2007).""

i bought a ticket for changing from one line to the other, validated at the first station got off at my stop changed line went down the escalator and expected another chance to validate my ticket or just be able to walk on. the two gaurds there where very non plus telling me there where gonna call the police etc. once i had coughed up all they said was go back up the escalator and stamp it and come back down. indeed i was conned but i get the feeling that is all they do to tourists who make an innocent mistake. at least i had a ticket and was trying to do the right thing. i also got no reciept to say i had been fined. the money i gave him was striaght into his pocket and not budapests. the system is designed to bring in fines. did not make the same mistake the rest of the weekend tho. dont know why they cant use a system like any other e.g paris, london even glasgow where you pass through automated barriers. budapest is small enough to walk around anyway and is no where near as interesting as paris, berlin or other major cities.

Archived