"Blues Legends" London gig - early 1980s

Auld Reekin'

Auld Reekin'

Maybe a bit of a long-shot, but here goes anyway...

I went to a concert in London, probably in 1981 or 1982, to see a shared bill of "Blues Legends" who were touring at the time. John Lee Hooker was definitely on the bill, but I just can't remember who else appeared that night. I had a feeling that Muddy Waters also played that night, but doubt has been cast on this because of his failing health in 1982.

I'm no longer in touch with the folk I went to the gig with, so I can't ask them.

Can anyone who was there and does remember the performers a bit more clearly than me (hey, if you remember the early '80s, you weren't there, maaaan!) confirm who else was playing or, alternatively, can anyone point me in the direction of a website that would tell me?

Yours, in premature dribbling senility,

AR.

Auld Reekin'

C'mon blues fans - help me out!

:band:

larbertjambo

would that be the chess r&b legends tour? not sure but think it was the early 80s. charly records put out a cd in the mid 90s (its on amazon) but given that howlin wolf was on it i assume the concert was much earlier. try asking at http://www.bluesandrhythm.co.uk/about.html. one their reviewers used to stay in eskbank and published a discography of muddy waters.(written in 1980 so london show not in it) he also used to take photos at blues concerts, sadly i lost touch with him.

Auld Reekin'
would that be the chess r&b legends tour? not sure but think it was the early 80s. charly records put out a cd in the mid 90s (its on amazon) but given that howlin wolf was on it i assume the concert was much earlier. try asking at http://www.bluesandrhythm.co.uk/about.html. one their reviewers used to stay in eskbank and published a discography of muddy waters.(written in 1980 so london show not in it) he also used to take photos at blues concerts, sadly i lost touch with him.

Cheers bud - the Chess R&B Legends Tour certainly sounds like it could be the one. I'll investigate further on the website you've given me and let you know what I come up with.

or try contacting paul Jones he's on radio 2 on monday nights and has a seemingly encyclopedic knowledge

Auld Reekin'
or try contacting paul Jones he's on radio 2 on monday nights and has a seemingly encyclopedic knowledge

Yep: might just do that, if needs be - thanks kgb!

(Just noticed - both replies have been from Larbert. Deep in the Forth Delta, or what...??? Maybe I've always misjudged the place! ;-) )

larbertjambo

(Just noticed - both replies have been from Larbert. Deep in the Forth Delta, or what...??? Maybe I've always misjudged the place! ;-) )

yep! got them ole larbert blues!!:39:

best of luck finding concert details, wish i still enjoyed blues the way i used too, must have sold off around 500 albums.

I sometimes have a drink with some Jambos in the Station Hotel in Larbert after Hearts games.Not got any of them down as Blues fans though.

larbertjambo
I sometimes have a drink with some Jambos in the Station Hotel in Larbert after Hearts games.Not got any of them down as Blues fans though.

i,ve stayed here for over 3 years and havent been in any larbert pubs. heard there is usually some hearts fans in the station when a live game is on telly.

quite a few gers fans here though.

i,ve stayed here for over 3 years and havent been in any larbert pubs. heard there is usually some hearts fans in the station when a live game is on telly.

quite a few gers fans here though.

The whole Falkirk area is Rangers dominated.

Auld Reekin'
yep! got them ole larbert blues!!:39:

best of luck finding concert details, wish i still enjoyed blues the way i used too, must have sold off around 500 albums.

I don't listen to it nearly as much as I used to, either, it's just the question over this gig is nagging away at me...

500 blues albums...??? Now that was a serious collection!

larbertjambo

500 blues albums...??? Now that was a serious collection![/color]

that was just the blues albums! must had around 3000 albums in total. sold the lot off over a few years. converted the money into 2 wheeled toys.

Archived