?1m for Ernie Winchester

moonraker

ernie winchester
Sorry, feeling a bit left out but if Jones and Dorman are worth that.....

Agreed! :)

Ernie Winchester, for his height, one of the poorest headers of a ball I have ever seen in a hearts jersey. Provided the odd bit of comedy value mind you.

John Gentleman
Ernie Winchester, for his height, one of the poorest headers of a ball I have ever seen in a hearts jersey. Provided the odd bit of comedy value mind you.

He was hopeless IIRC (left back?).

Kept the Brylcreem comapny in business though.

Stewart MacD

Aah Big Ernie, not the fastest striker in the east, but a striker none the less.

Well worth the fee, sir, if the others you mention are compared.

I'M IBRAHIM TALL
Aah Big Ernie, not the fastest striker in the east, but a striker none the less.

Well worth the fee, sir, if the others you mention are compared.

Seem to recall hearing a story about Ernie Winchester getting jumped by 4 boys outside a city centre pub. Then scattering the whole lot of them. I bet Giraffe Jones couldn't do that

ernie winchester

Ernie was absolute murder, but a good laugh and great at beating up opposition defenders. I fully believe the story of the 4 guys outisde the pub! :)

I'll grant you that Big Ernie was not one our better jumpers we've had, but I remember watching in astonishment in a game at East Fife when Harry Kinnear rose, salmon like, such that his heels were a good 6" off the ground I can't remember whether he made contact with the ball or not, it was probably irrelevant in any case.....

We nearly swooned with excitement..........

Life was so much simpler in those days............

Ernie was a great lad.

His one problem was he was a defender played out of position all his career!

Playing Celtic he moved to midfield to cover our loss of one player and was excellent. He left to finish his career with Arbroath as a sweeper, and did a good job. If we had him last season we would have finished higher up the league as he was a fighter.

Three down with ten minutes to go at Ibrox he came on as a substitute and the game finished three two! had it gone on two minutes more we would have equalised, all his doing!

25 Mar 1970

Corrie Jambo

Ernie scored the best ever goal i have seen from a Hearts player in a 5-2 defeat from Dundee at Tynecatle.

It was a total rocket and flew past Thomson Allan into the School end net.

Archived