?100 million to join the premiership!!

Jambos1983

Seems crazy but I guess they would make that back soon enough.

Cant see UEFA and FIFA agreeing to this though

From the dailyrecord

CRSTAL PALACE owner Simon Jordan has demanded the Old Firm pay a ?100million entry fee to join the most lucrative club in world football.

Bolton chairman Phil Gartside will table a revolutionary proposal this week for Celtic and Rangers to be offered a sensational move into the English Premier League.

Gartside will present his plans for a Premiership 1 and 2 at a meeting of English top-flight clubs on Thursday.

He has spent months in discussions and drawing up a blueprint for two divisions of 18 clubs, with Scotland's big two handed an invite to the lower tier.

There would be two up and two down each season between the new Premiership set-ups, with one up and one down between Premier League 2 and the Football League.

Gartside's plans are said to have the support of at least seven Premier League clubs, with key Football League outfits keen on the breakaway.The Old Firm are making no comment at this stage but it's understoodtheyconsider Gartside's plan an exciting development on a idea that has been mooted for years.

Significantly, this is the first time the idea has been proposed by English clubs themselves as they believe the Old Firm would generate additional enthusiasm from broadcasters that would help tackle the financial shortfall arising from an extension of the Premier League from 20 clubs to 36.

Championship side Palace could benefit from the proposed changes but outspoken chairman Jordan claims the Old Firm should face a collective entry tax, not least because they still need English football more than it needs them.

He said: "Football is evolving all the time and this would be great for the Scottish clubs but they should pay to come down.

"They should not have a God given right to walk into English football and displace two other teams and there should be a renumeration level set.

"I'd suggest ?100m and the immediate financial benefits that arise for both clubs would soon cover it.

"Their share price would go through the ceiling on the back of massive revenue increases.The SPL does not attract a worldwide audience - the Premiership does.

"It would be a great thing for Celtic and Rangers but the Old Firm would not add enormously to the levels of interest in a league that's already massively exposed.

"A lot of people will object to the idea but I'm not one of them. It would be good for British football.

"I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen but it's still a long way off as no deals can be done until the next round of talks with broadcasters, scheduled for 2013."

The Old Firm would have to pay something towards the Scottish clubs left behind and would baulk at the figure demanded by Jordan.

Gartside refused to comment on his proposals which come at a time when the credit crunch and recession are hitting even the biggest clubs hard.

Outfits such as Bolton want a softer landing than the Championship if they are relegated.

In recent seasons former Premiership clubs such as Charlton, Leeds, Leicester, Norwich and Southampton have all struggled after dropping out of the top tier.

The Premier League makes parachute payments of ?11.5 million a season for two seasons to clubs who fail to bounce back at the first attempt.

A smaller Premiership would also find favour with managers of powerhouses such as Man United,Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal as it would give them more time to prepare between games.

Gartside needs support from at least 14 Premiership clubs for his plans to develop beyond the drawing board.

He still has some work to do to persuade the owners of the top four of the merits of his scheme,especially as it's likely to lead to a reduction in their incomes.

The SPL gave the idea a cool response and operations director Iain Blair said: "No plan has been brought forward to us so it's too early to comment.

"Anything of that nature would require the approval of the Scottish and English leagues as well as the SFA, FA,UEFA and FIFA."

maltese jambo

Would love them to go but don't think the bank managers would be too happy to write the 100m cheque in the current climate; probably one of the conditions would be to clear their existing debts.

What would happen if they joined and got relegated from EPL2 ?

Where would they go ?

Back to the SPL with their tails between their legs, no doubt!

Scottish football would be pretty poor without the Old Firm. We'd be as well packing it in and joining a British League.

If the OF went south it would destroy Scottish football. I would love them to not exist but there is another way to look at it.

Thousands of people outside Glasgow already support them for whatever reason, that figure would increase hugely if they were to get into the EPL. Young kids faced with the choice of watching their local team or being an OF fan and getting to see them play against the likes of Man Utd and Livepool would swing towards the OF even more.

Then again would the gloryhunters desert them if they weren't winning everything on a regular basis?

Skivingatwork

C'mon Vlad get the chequebook out...

...So make some noise,

The Gorgie Boys,

Are going to England

:sorcerer:

scott herbertson

What would happen if they joined and got relegated from EPL2 ?

Where would they go ?

Isn't that a wonderful scenario

Scottish football would be pretty poor without the Old Firm. We'd be as well packing it in and joining a British League.

Agreed although would we not still keep the champions league place initially. Could make a difference to the first champions post oldfirm.

British league could work although we'd probably have to enter in the conference!

Its a real difficult one.

IMO if you had us, Aberdeen, United, possibly the Hobos fighting for the title every year you would have an exciting league, and I'm very certain you would have above the current average crowds at any teams that were challenging.

I for one wouldnt care a jot if we won a league without the smellies.

We'd soon lose any chance of getting anywhere near the champs league group stages, but the league would soon find its own equilibrium.

Scottish football would be pretty poor without the Old Firm.

I think that with the Old Firm Scottish football is poor and uncompetitive. Without the Old Firm it would be poor and competitive.

I know which I'd prefer. Plus, with five or six teams all with a shout of winning the league, I reckon crowds would improve.

I don't think it would be a devalued competition either, because it's pointless as it is. No one is going to win the league outside those two again IMO.

ToadKiller Dog
Like others I agree that Scottish Football would probably become like the Welsh or Irish leagues.

I would disagree ,Wales has Rugby as its first sport ,Ireland has both Gaelic sports and rugby before football ,I would expect scotland to find its level more inline with the Scandinavian nations or some of the smaller european nations Hungary etc.

Marmeladent?rtchen
RIP Football.

Agreed,

The fire will be fuled if Cardiff (and maybe Swansea) get promoted!

Hagar the Horrible

This is now a non story as it is off Thursdays agenda. The chairman will now not make his presentation? lack of interest i would suppose?

Shame really I think football would have benefited in this country, more so US!!!!!

Totally disagree!

I see huge advantages if we could get rid of the Ugly Sisters -

1. Regular European football for the other Scottish teams - I wonder if the OF have considered that their almost automatic entry into the Champions League would come to an abrupt end!

2. A more competitive and exiting SPL with 4 or 5 teams in with a shout of the title. That alone would increase attendances IMO. Remember the OF keep the money from their home gates.

3. A level playing field for all teams as we would not be subjected to the OF bias that has been going on for years.

4. Never having to listen to the sectarian bile that spews out from their fans when the Bigot Brothers vist Tynecastle.

I for one would personally give them the taxi fare!

From the BBC -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8006934.stm

Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal are likely to be against the plan as it would affect their income.

Four massive, massive reasons why this won't happen.

not only those 4 but villa evrton and spurs were mentioned in article as probably not wanting it and sice they would need 14 out of 20 votes that would give them at most 13 i think

Mac_fae_Gillie

Wonder how many Scots players they would have.

As for all Scots english/welsh in a British league what would we HEARTS be playing for ??? no chance of Europe,maybe make top league once a decade and stay thier for 1-3 years..ouch..

But an SPL without the O/F woyuld be a great league for blood and guts football,it wouldn't be a big money league but the inbalance in money is what hurts it now so maybe gertting back to grass roots would be OK.loss of TV money wouldn't matter as it is low to all but the OF anyway and there would still be some TV money even if poor.

And of course Europe,OK so it would be 1CL and 2uefa(or1)but so worth playing a season of football to get to.

Lot of people say it will never happen but how do Swansea and Cardiff play in English leagues yet thier LOW exists and are allowed Euro places.Its possible and I love to see them go.

The bestest worry is the next generation of people following the BIG LEAGUE which could reduce scottish football crowds in the near future,well with the present demise its a risk worth having.

would let them leave in the summer if they could, we could do away with the top 6 split and get back to competitive football, with us being top dogs :)

the uglies have done nothing to help scottish football and have just raped the other 10 teams since the SPL was introduced

on the down side the vermin's chances of winning the scottish cup would increase :qqb016:

The Old Tolbooth

Why would an already thriving EPL want the cancer of Scottish football?

It just doesn't make sense!

If I were an Englishman, I would want to keep those parasites and their filth as far away from the EPL as possible too, why spoil a good thing with that mob?

RIP Football.

Couldn't agree more. As soon as clubs are able to buy their way into whatever tournament they fancy, that'll be the death knoll of proper professional football!

would let them leave in the summer if they could, we could do away with the top 6 split and get back to competitive football, with us being top dogs :)

the uglies have done nothing to help scottish football and have just raped the other 10 teams since the SPL was introduced

on the down side the vermin's chances of winning the scottish cup would increase :qqb016:

Yep, feck them ! How people can say that a league with 4-5 teams battling for the league would not be competive is unreal. Would the standard be any worse ? How bad was it when we had to go to the BBC for a last minute deal, was the standard better or worse !

Want would be interesting would be if the Beasties got to stay in the Scottish cup, because they could win that and go into europe ! I'm not sure how it works out in wales tho

Couldn't agree more. As soon as clubs are able to buy their way into whatever tournament they fancy, that'll be the death knoll of proper professional football!

I think this is the main point tho, how much have wolves and etc spend to get to the epl ? If i was a investor with cash to **** up the wall, why not buy hearts and pay the 100 million, surly cheaper than buying leeds etc to get them into the EPL.

Captain_Peacock
I think this is the main point tho, how much have wolves and etc spend to get to the epl ? If i was a investor with cash to **** up the wall, why not buy hearts and pay the 100 million, surly cheaper than buying leeds etc to get them into the EPL.

Rumour down here is Ken Bates price for Leeds is an eye watering ?40 million. For that you get a team in the 3rd tier of football that doesn't own the ground or the training faclities. Probably only has 6 players max with any transfer value. It's little wonder there are no takers.

Yep, feck them ! How people can say that a league with 4-5 teams battling for the league would not be competive is unreal. Would the standard be any worse ? How bad was it when we had to go to the BBC for a last minute deal, was the standard better or worse !

Want would be interesting would be if the Beasties got to stay in the Scottish cup, because they could win that and go into europe ! I'm not sure how it works out in wales tho

If they head down South we need to slam the gate behind them - and that includes the Scottish Cup!

All Murray and the Celtic consortium can think of is the TV money. They should also consider that scrambling away in the lower reaches of the Premiership (or worse!) will soon have the glory hunters walking away.

Do they really think they will still get 50,000+ at Hunbrox or Darkheid if they are winning NOTHING?

No chance of European football year in year out??? That will cost them fortunes alone.

what would happen to the rules uefa are wanting to bring in about having so many homegrown players in a team, would they have to be scottish or english if they were in the EPL

what would happen to the rules uefa are wanting to bring in about having so many homegrown players in a team, would they have to be scottish or english if they were in the EPL

According to thousands of bigots following them, the criteria is whether they are 'Sons of William' or 'Celtic minded' :th_love:

Shouldn't they have to go through the same process all clubs have to? I mean start at the lowest league and work their way up? Seems pretty disingenuous to all the other clubs who had to work their way through the leagues. Though, I would love to see Rangers and Celtic go. I would prefer competitiveness and also fix how the league awards money to stop it from repeating. I wonder would the SPL would support if Rangers and Celtic are gone? Oh well, one can dream.. don't think it will ever happen.

I P Knightley

There's a lot of merit in the argument put forward by Simon Jordan (a real love or loathe character!). The scenario where they stump up all those millions and get relegated within two seasons is my absolute favourite.

There'd be little change in the ticket revenue they earn (except for a lack of Euro nights) as I'm sure there'd be demand from folk wanting to see the English Premiership clubs play at CP and Ipox. Maybe a few empty seats when it's Stoke or Fulham etc.

As lambojambo says, there could well be a spin off for Scottish clubs in that supporters might want to see how a local team performs in a local (credible) competition. Our TV revenue would almost definitely take a hit so there'd have to be compensation from the OF to foot the bill while readjustment takes place.

How would the organ grinders' monkeys feel about their beloved Chelsea FC being up against their beloved Rangers FC?? A couple of synapses would fuse - could be messy!

Trouble is, like many, I can't see the merit for the Premiership for having those two come in. There may be an argument that TV audiences would be even higher as the global Oirish community and the convicts in Australia tune in to see their beloved soccer teams?

Scottish referees could actually admit which team they support.

It would maybe double. It could even treble.

But basic arithmetic should tell you that 3 times effall is still effall ;)

Only a Game

Yeh thats right, because its a top product at the moment and the really good thing about it is all the other clubs are making a fortune on the back of the Old Firm's mere presence.

would a TV black out not lead to higher gates. This could, Albeit slightly, off set the loss in revenue, create a better atmospher at games making it more attractive to TV companies in the fullness of time. I can honestly see only benefit for Scottish football.

Perhaps this would be the catalist to start the renaissance Csaba refered to when discussing saving the Scottish game. The development of youth is the key. At present this is being stiffled by the OF in my opinion. Young players developed by other clubs are cherry picked by them and left to rot, the list is significant I would say. How many young players of the year or players with real potential have moved to the uglies only to see there career disappear? Steven Naismith and Paul Ritchie spring to mind. Even Riordan had something about him before moving to celtic, although it could be argued that he got what he deserved.

Players would still move to develop their career obviously but they would be more likly to stay longer before being ready for the EPL I think. They may not fancy the move, they may move and get home sick like Bazz did, bless.

Nah! all things considered I would happily wave them off, hopefully half the weegie pundits would go with them.

Yeh thats right, because its a top product at the moment and the really good thing about it is all the other clubs are making a fortune on the back of the Old Firm's mere presence.

Most fans look forward to games against the Old Firm.

grumpyespana

Personally the league would be stronger with us, united, hibs & aberdeen going for the title every year bring it on. As for the old firm they should go to England and take all there baggage with them.

Grumpy.

Only a Game
Shouldn't they have to go through the same process all clubs have to? I mean start at the lowest league and work their way up? Seems pretty disingenuous to all the other clubs who had to work their way through the leagues.

?????????

Only a Game
Most fans look forward to games against the Old Firm.

I'd rather look forward to playing at least 3 other teams who would be challenging us for the league

Guest jambomickey
Personally the league would be stronger with us, united, hibs & aberdeen going for the title every year bring it on. As for the old firm they should go to England and take all there baggage with them.

Grumpy.

agreed, our league would then be free from irish/ british politcs and religious hatred.

Only a Game
The Afgahan Premier League would be a better alternative.

"We'll guard old Kabul's walls":th_love:

It's still considerably more than we'd be making if they weren't around. I don't think it would be particularly great for any of us, but the smaller SPL teams would struggle in particular without the income that OF matches give them. I can't see there being any Setanta or broadcast interest, well...not anything that brings us a decent cash injection every season anyway. Imagine being reduced to one match every 6-8 weeks on BBC Alba...

It might be fun for one or two seasons, but long term I'm convinced we'd all suffer without them. Much as I hate to admit it, I think we need them.

Only a Game
It's still considerably more than we'd be making if they weren't around. I don't think it would be particularly great for any of us, but the smaller SPL teams would struggle in particular without the income that OF matches give them. I can't see there being any Setanta or broadcast interest, well...not anything that brings us a decent cash injection every season anyway. Imagine being reduced to one match every 6-8 weeks on BBC Alba...

It might be fun for one or two seasons, but long term I'm convinced we'd all suffer without them. Much as I hate to admit it, I think we need them.

Neither the Setanta money nor the gate receipts we get when they visit could not be sourced from elsewhere.

We only get 13,000 odd OF fans in a season and thats if the SPL actually let us play them 4 times at home as we should be doing. That money can be replaced with one pre-season friendly against decent oposition.

The OF steal the vast majority of the TV money in any case so it would be too big a stretch to negotiate a deal which wouldnt impact too much on what we currently get, yet would save Setanta, or whoever wanted the rights, a fortune because they dont have to pay the OF.

Financially, to a club like Hearts, it would make hardly any difference and might even help to fill Tynecastle more often if we're challenging

Neither the Setanta money nor the gate receipts we get when they visit could not be sourced from elsewhere.

We only get 13,000 odd OF fans in a season and thats if the SPL actually let us play them 4 times at home as we should be doing. That money can be replaced with one pre-season friendly against decent oposition.

The OF steal the vast majority of the TV money in any case so it would be too big a stretch to negotiate a deal which wouldnt impact too much on what we currently get, yet would save Setanta, or whoever wanted the rights, a fortune because they dont have to pay the OF.

Financially, to a club like Hearts, it would make hardly any difference and might even help to fill Tynecastle more often if we're challenging

Who would want to televise SPL games without the OF fans to bump up subscriptions and make it worthwhile?

Anyone? Probably not. :nah:

Only a Game
Who would want to televise SPL games without the OF fans to bump up subscriptions and make it worthwhile?

Anyone? Probably not. :nah:

Setanta is not the only broadcaster out there and we're only with them in the first place to appeal to the Old Firm's Irish connections

portobellojambo1
Seems crazy but I guess they would make that back soon enough.

If the figure of ?100 million comes to fruition I would think that is stumbling block number 1. Rangers certainly cannot afford it, and even with guaranteed entry into the Champions League each year Celtic are not turning over big bucks profits, and would struggle to find that sort of money up front.

Plus they then go into EPL2, and discover the referees and FA don't seem to quite favour them so much, plus the standard of players they are up against is better every week, and winning matches becomes much more difficult.

I was speaking to a Rangers fan today who reckoned only 3 of the present Rangers squad is good enough to play in the EPL, Davies, Bougherra and Mendes. I had to remind him that all 3 came to Scotland mainly because they couldn't quite hack it in England, and not necessarily at top level clubs in England.

So with not winning matches regularly they then have to decide how they can compete, and the only way to compete is to buy big. So they each have to spend somewhere in the region of ?130-?150 million on purchasing players, then pay them salaries to reflect their transfer fees (say ?50,000 per week, I use this figure after speaking to a fan of an English club today just outside the top 4, who indicated that many of the reserve players at the club he follows who struggle to ever get into the side are earning around ?40-?50k per week).

So that's roughly ?2.5 million per player per annum on salaries, with a bare minimum pool of 20 decent players that is another ?50 million. So after no more than two seasons they have each shelled out around ?300 million, and in return got a limited return from EPL2. Still not quite made it to the top of that division, still not able to compete with the big boys, crowds starting to disappear because that guaranteed Champions League place is just no longer guaranteed, they just are not winnnig games.

They have suddenly realised they are now small fish in a gigantic pond, and panic sets in.

Both clubs would end up in a stupendous mess. however if they wish to go down that route then good riddance.

Setanta is not the only broadcaster out there and we're only with them in the first place to appeal to the Old Firm's Irish connections

Of course. But they're not charities, they're not going to bother with the SPL if there's no money in it. I'm no expert on such things but I can't see how a broadcaster would make any sort of real profit when the subscription levels would be crap, interest from the press would be minimal and sponsorship/advertising would be close to non-existent. The Beeb should be interested in snapping up televised footy for buttons but we know better than to rely on them....

Maybe I'm being gloomy, I just have plenty of reservations about an SPL with no OF.

Archived