Is Leith in Edinburgh?

i8hibsh

Is Leith in the Burgh?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is Leith in the Burgh?

• Yes
    • No
    • Hibs are reptiles so who cares

The hobos are from Lochend. Leith is separate but now, like Musselburgh is becoming, it has almagamated with Edinburgh and is difficult to say where is Leith and where is Edinburgh.

The hobos will call their home Leith, despite the fact they are from Lochend, just as they will call their stadium "Easter Road" when in actual fact, it is on Albion Road.

Idiots really.

Does that mean Albion Road is in Lochend? Cos it isn't. But then again it's not in Leith either........ Where can it be.......... Do you really give one?

Has it not been established several times in this thread that Hibs were founded in the Cowgate (Edinburgh) and play at ER (Edinburgh) and have therefore never been a Leith club?

Is there a point to this thread? We have established:

1. Leith is now part of Edinburgh and is no longer a town in it own right
  2. Hibs have enver been a Leith Club
  3. Leith is full of Jambos
  4. There is a good chance of finding pondlife in Leith and Gorgie
  5. There are several sources of boundary info on Edinburgh and Leith
  6. Hearts play in Gorgie so what's the interest in Leith?

Oh I and St Bernards (or whatever) were a Leith Club.........

The point of this thread was stated clearly - to settle an argument

regular_PepperMace-SM%5B1%5D.jpg

Does that mean Albion Road is in Lochend? Cos it isn't. But then again it's not in Leith either........ Where can it be.......... Do you really give one?

Albion road is in a few home office statistical records

worst street

most junkies

worst fitba team

As has been pointed out Easter road is in the EH7 postcode, not the Leith EH6

I always thought Lochend finsihed at the entrance to Lochend Park..Easter Road is more in Hawkhill than Lochend I'd say.

Reasons why Hibs is not a Leith club:

1. It's full name is Edinburgh Hibernian.

2. It's ground is in Edinburgh (Lochend) and Hibs has never played a home game within the boundary of Leith.

3. Leith did have a professional football club called Leith Athletic but it went bust in 1945ish.

The use of 'Leith' to describe Hibs is a modern media phenomenum. I certainly do not recall it being used in my youth in the 60s and 70s. It shows you that if enough people believe a lie then it takes on a pseudo truth ... a bit like the other Hibs myth of being a 'flair' team. Aye always on the flair!

:wavey:

Reasons why Hibs is not a Leith club:

1. It's full name is Edinburgh Hibernian.

2. It's ground is in Edinburgh (Lochend) and Hibs has never played a home game within the boundary of Leith.

3. Leith did have a professional football club called Leith Athletic but it went bust in 1945ish.

The use of 'Leith' to describe Hibs is a modern media phenomenum. I certainly do not recall it being used in my youth in the 60s and 70s. It shows you that if enough people believe a lie then it takes on a pseudo truth ... a bit like the other Hibs myth of being a 'flair' team. Aye always on the flair!

:wavey:

They are a Leith team, not Edinburgh. That's why they have the ship symbol - to represent Leith - in their ****my badge. End of.

And they are not Edinburgh Hibernian, in the same way there is no such team as Glasgow Rangers.

They are a Leith team, not Edinburgh. That's why they have the ship symbol - to represent Leith - in their ****my badge. End of.

And they are not Edinburgh Hibernian, in the same way there is no such team as Glasgow Rangers.

...conveniently forgetting Edinburgh Castle depicted in the crest as well.

You're right though, the word Edinburgh does not appear in the clubs full name.

So, does that make Hearts a Gorgie-Dalry team and not an Edinburgh team too?:P

winston churchill
As has been pointed out Easter road is in the EH7 postcode, not the Leith EH6

I always thought Lochend finsihed at the entrance to Lochend Park..Easter Road is more in Hawkhill than Lochend I'd say.

spot on,also they dont have a leef phone number,what next.

playing flair football-liars.

come fae leef-liars.

Hibs are not even the biggest team in Leith

Was there not another tewam from Leith called St something or other who for afew years were more a successful?

St Bernards, although they played at several grounds (none of them in Leith) were a Stockbridge team.

A cynical ploy to try to sell Flair FC to an audience outwith their Leith homeland.

Incidentally, I forgot to mention that using postcode and telephone numbers to justify the hobos being an Edinburgh team is not a valid argument.

This is due to the fact that both systems were shaped and driven by administrative needs rather than geography, and the hobo's self-proclaimed identity as "Leith's team" predates the implementation of both.

I hope this helps clarify matters. :)

You're right though, the word Edinburgh does not appear in the clubs full name.

So, does that make Hearts a Gorgie-Dalry team and not an Edinburgh team too?:P

Hearts are a Midlothian team and Edinburgh is in Midlothian.....but that's another debate. :cool_shades:

Incidentally, I forgot to mention that using postcode and telephone numbers to justify the hobos being an Edinburgh team is not a valid argument.

This is due to the fact that both systems were shaped and driven by administrative needs rather than geography, and the hobo's self-proclaimed identity as "Leith's team" predates the implementation of both.

I hope this helps clarify matters. :)

Correct, even Bonnyrigg has an Edinburgh postcode. ;)

I thought the ship symbol represented the Convict ships that relocated thier relatives to New Zealand and Australia .:)

St Bernards, although they played at several grounds (none of them in Leith) were a Stockbridge team.

St Bernards home ground was Logie Green. Not quite Stockbridge.

Used for the only Scottish Cup final to be played outside Glasgow.

Score. Heart of Midlothian 3 Hibernian 1. Hibernians had folded 4 years earlier.

Hibernian FC formed in Edinburgh play at Easter Road. Whether Easter Road stadium is in Leith or Edinburgh I couldnt give a toss too but Hibernian are an Edinburgh team by birth. Regardless of what many would like to claim nowadays.

John

Hibs were found in the cowgate, Edinburgh!

They play at Easter Road, Edinburgh!

The association with Leith (which is in edinburgh) IMO is from the strong Leith based support, so obviously hibs are an important part of the leith community!

What a stupid argument this is!

I have always classed Leith in Edinburgh. After all you can walk to Leith within 1 minute of the City Centre

However the Jambo Leithers are proud to say yes but the reptiles say no (then they talk baout being the biggest team in Edinburgh - total Flumps)

what do you think?

wee poll to see

ps I am allowing multiple choice so you can obviously select the third option too

The answer is Leith is now a part of Edinburgh. However, people from Leith are proud to call themselves Leithers, i suppose in the same way that we call ourselves Scottish and not British.

There was a vote in 1920 to see if Leithers wanted to become part of Edinburgh. The outcome of which was a resounding no(This vote had nothing to do with football). The "amalgamation" went ahead anyway. People tend to forget that Leith was the wealthier of the two towns, a thriving port, wealthy mechants and more cosmopolitan of the two. Indeed Leith had a far superior tram system(topical) than Edinburgh.

I hope this short script answers your question but i'm sure an historian can give you more.

It's all about identities.

Archived