Is Leith in Edinburgh?

i8hibsh

Is Leith in the Burgh?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is Leith in the Burgh?

• Yes
    • No
    • Hibs are reptiles so who cares

I have always classed Leith in Edinburgh. After all you can walk to Leith within 1 minute of the City Centre

However the Jambo Leithers are proud to say yes but the reptiles say no (then they talk baout being the biggest team in Edinburgh - total Flumps)

what do you think?

wee poll to see

ps I am allowing multiple choice so you can obviously select the third option too

Commander Harris
I have always classed Leith in Edinburgh. After all you can walk to Leith within 1 minute of the City Centre

However the Jambo Leithers are proud to say yes but the reptiles say no (then they talk baout being the biggest team in Edinburgh - total Flumps)

what do you think?

wee poll to see

Historically speaking it was seperate but now it most definitely is part of Edinburgh.

As we all know anyway, Easter Road Stadium is outwith the Leith boundary.

it is now, and as has been pointed out, fester rd is lochend, not edinburgh

closer to porty belly than edina ;)

i'm in leith, for my sins, and i'd definitely say it was now edinburgh

Guest Dipped Flake
it is now, and as has been pointed out, fester rd is lochend, not edinburgh

closer to porty belly than edina ;)

No way you were born and bred in Leith........Leith is Leith, Edinburgh is Edinburgh, ne'er the twain shall meet, no matter what the maps say

And also we associate Hibs with Leith but i'd say it is probs

60%/40% Hibs/Hearts

Not exactly a stronghold!

I think Hearts fans are reluctant to accept Leith as part of their 'Edinburgh' becasue it has been hijacked by Hibs for 133 years and The Proclaimers for about 20 years now.

The Water of Leith runs right through Edinburgh and I see that as mine, in my city.

I don't have any problem with Leith at all.

The Hubbers play in Lochend.

Buffalo Bill

IMO, you can draw a comparison with Brasil (see what i did there, hibs, Brazil, etc etc)...

Edinburgh is like Rio de Janeiro, both beautiful cities with lots to offer.

Leith is like the favela's. Those shanty towns which surround the edge of the city.

Rio, like Edinburgh, is famous for its festivals.

Leith, like the Rio favela's, is famous for being plagued by poverty, drugs, crime and hygiene problems.

IMO, you can draw a comparison with Brasil (see what i did there, hibs, Brazil, etc etc)...

Leith is like the favela's. Those shanty towns which surround the edge of the city.

Leith, like the Rio favela's, is famous for being plagued by poverty, drugs, crime and hygiene problems.

like the analogy dude

FTH!

Leith became part of Edinburgh in 1921ish.

Leith is twinned with Rio you know.....

Is that because they have residents with seriously bad teeth?

At least be nice to each other...!

You mean like Wester Hailes, Sighthill and Broomhouse

Leith, like the Rio favela's, is famous for being plagued by poverty, drugs, crime and hygiene problems. See above

Most Cities are surrounded by less affluent areas, Edinburgh is no different. Are you trying to say that Edinburgh has 2 classes of poorer areas, easily defined by their relative positions to football stadia? :confused:

...Are you trying to say that Edinburgh has 2 classes of poorer areas, easily defined by their relative positions to football stadia? :confused:

Yes.

West Edinburgh has working class.

Leith has benefit cheats.

Yes.

West Edinburgh has working class.

Leith has benefit cheats.

i stay in leith and have done my whole life, im a season ticket holder at hearts and have been for about 13 years so you cant question my commitment.

But I think you see just as many reptiles in gorgie as you do down here.

But there is no question in the fact that hearts are the upper class team and hibs are the lower class.

Either you walk very very quickly or you think that Valvona and Crolla is the Centre of Edinburgh.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I live in Leith and it is very much part of Edinburgh!

Hibs play in Lochend not Leith.

BTW there are a massive amount of Jambos in Leith. :)

Fine Scottish Wine

Boundary changes are what we are really talking about here, at the time Easter road was built it was in the Leith boundary now it is not, Leith also used to be a seperate entity with its boundary reaching as far as the playhouse out to arthur seat and right down to Jopa, not anymore as it is all Edinburgh. So are Hibs a Leith club no, are they an Edinburgh club, yes, do i really care if a Hibee thinks one way or the other, no.

CornhillHearts

I'm a Leither was brought up a Leither and a Jambo by my Dad and will be bringing up my son in the same manner.

P.S. For anyone who knows Colin S he's most definately not from Leith.

I'm a proud Leither, and also a proud Hearts supporter. Technically Leith is now part of Edinburgh. But ask any Leither where they are from, and they'll tell you 'Leith, not Edinburgh!'

I often have a chuckle at my fellow 'Edinburgh Hearts fans,' who come on here and 'slag' Leith. I know the vast majority of them are just on the 'wind up,' but the way some on here slaver on about Leith, i can only presume they all live in nice 'semi-detached' houses, vote 'tory', and all went to 'private schools.':tongue:

Leith was emalgamated into Edinburgh but I suppose if people in Leith want to consider it seperate they can.

Just like some see Scotland as a different country from England yet officially both are the same country ie the United Kingdom.

maroonlegions

they have to except that they are our bitches and it was conformed in 1921 when Leith was added to the boundary of Edinburgh, home of the mighty Jambos,funny but true.:106Final::BigSemi::D

Commander Harris
Most my mail has Albion Rd, Leith, Edinburgh so I guess it is.

:)

is the east boundary of leith these days not Easter Road? (the actual road I mean.)

is the east boundary of leith these days not Easter Road? (the actual road I mean.)

Dunno to be honest. Just saying whats on my mail.

I also vote for the Edinburgh Leith council folk and not medowbank.

Leith was merged with Edinburgh in 1920. Previously they had been separate burghs. Apparently there was an unofficial referendum in which the people of Leith voted five to one against the merger, but this was ignored. Liethers have been ignored ever since - quite proper IMO

Jam Tarts 1874

King Robert the Bruce gave Leith to Edinburgh in 1329. Leith was then Edinburgh's fag until 1833 when Leith became independent and had it's own council. In 1920 Leith was amalgamated (probably because the Leithers were incapable of looking after themselves)

Malcolm Tucker
Reptiles? Excuse my ignorance I'm knew here but what does calling us reptiles mean?

Who knews you?

Who knews you?

Yes I noticed that after I posted. Couldn't really be arsed editing it, but thanks for pointing that out, you're obviously really intelligent.

If Leith joined Edinburgh in 1920, does that mean the Hobos have never brought the Big Cup back to Edinburgh?

Hobos - Pride of Edinburgh my arse!

Ninja :ph34r:

winston churchill
I live in Leith and it is very much part of Edinburgh!

Hibs play in Lochend not Leith.

BTW there are a massive amount of Jambos in Leith. :)

saved me typing.

Malcolm Tucker
Yes I noticed that after I posted. Couldn't really be arsed editing it, but thanks for pointing that out, you're obviously really intelligent.

No problem chief ;)

Boundary changes are what we are really talking about here, at the time Easter road was built it was in the Leith boundary now it is not, Leith also used to be a seperate entity with its boundary reaching as far as the playhouse out to arthur seat and right down to Jopa, not anymore as it is all Edinburgh. So are Hibs a Leith club no, are they an Edinburgh club, yes, do i really care if a Hibee thinks one way or the other, no.

You may be thinking of an old parliamentery boundary rather than what was the old district council boundary.

The old Boundary Bar (now city limits?) half way up Leith Walk/end of Pilrig Street had half of the pub in Leith and half in Edinburgh. The Leith licensing was more liberal and the Edinburgh side of the pub had to be closed earlier than the Leith side.

Hibs were formed in the Cowgate, Edinburgh.

Easter Road stadium is not in Leith.

Hibs have never had a ground in Leith.

My birth certificate and passport give my place of birth as Leith.:eek:

I was born a long time after 1920/21.

I have never lived in Leith.:)

In short, just because we share the same council it does not mean Leith is part of Edinburgh.

Fine Scottish Wine
You may be thinking of an old parliamentery boundary rather than what was the old district council boundary.

The old Boundary Bar (now city limits?) half way up Leith Walk/end of Pilrig Street had half of the pub in Leith and half in Edinburgh. The Leith licensing was more liberal and the Edinburgh side of the pub had to be closed earlier than the Leith side.

Hibs were formed in the Cowgate, Edinburgh.

Easter Road stadium is not in Leith.

Hibs have never had a ground in Leith.

My birth certificate and passport give my place of birth as Leith.:eek:

I was born a long time after 1920/21.

I have never lived in Leith.:)

In short, just because we share the same council it does not mean Leith is part of Edinburgh.

I am taking my Information from

The Boundary of Leith as defined in 'CASSELLS OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH'

Printed as a periodical in the 1880s.

Where it states

The actual limits of Leith as a town, prior to their definition in 1827, are uncertain.

South Leith is bounded on the north-east by the Firth of Forth, on the south by Duddingston and the Cannongate and on the west by the parishes of the Royalty of Edinburgh, by St Cuthberts and North Leith. It is nearly triangular in form, and covers an area of 2,265 acres.The boundary is traced for some way with the Fishwives Causeway or old Roman Road then it passes nearly along the Highway between the city and portobello till past Jocks Lodge making a projecting sweep so as to include Parsons Green and after skirting the royal parks it runs along the north back of the canongate, debouches through the gorge of the low calton and descends Leith walk till nearly opposite the old manor house of Pilrig, it then runs westward to the water of Leith and follows the latter downward to the firth. The Parish thus includes, besides its landward district, the Calton Hill, parts of Calton and the Cannongate, Abbey Hill, Norton Place, Jocks Lodge, Restalrig and the whole of South Leith

DuffJimmy1875
i stay in leith and have done my whole life, im a season ticket holder at hearts and have been for about 13 years so you cant question my commitment.

But I think you see just as many reptiles in gorgie as you do down here.

But there is no question in the fact that hearts are the upper class team and hibs are the lower class.

How so - proof, empirical studies etc???

I'm sure you must have tomes of evidence to hand to prove your assertion?????

Not that I care particularly, I just find it funny when Jambos make these socio-economic divisions about teams place in the class system (whatever that is these days) without a shred of concrete, un-biased evidence to back it up.

[/b]

Not that I care particularly, I just find it funny when Jambos make these socio-economic divisions about teams place in the class system (whatever that is these days) without a shred of concrete, un-biased evidence to back it up.

He baited, you bit... moral of the story? Don't take the bait.

Fine Scottish Wine
[/b]

I remember a few journalist when i was younger (70s'ish) in various football books writing things about Hearts being the Snobs team of Edinburgh, really used to wind me up, certainly never used to see many snobs where i was standing at Tynecastle.

Hibs are not even the biggest team in Leith

Was there not another tewam from Leith called St something or other who for afew years were more a successful?

DuffJimmy1875
Hibs are not even the biggest team in Leith

Was there not another tewam from Leith called St something or other who for afew years were more a successful?

St Bernards?? Of course they ceased to be (in a professional capacity at least) in 1942 but don't let the facts get in the way of a "Hibs aren't even the biggest team in Leith" statement ;)

St Bernards?? Of course they ceased to be (in a professional capacity at least) in 1942 but don't let the facts get in the way of a "Hibs aren't even the biggest team in Leith" statement ;)

I'm pretty sure my little vagabond friend that London hearts posted stats a year or so ago saying that for a period they were better than the reptiles

thus Hobos not even being the best team in Leith

now if you don't mind

airwick_airfreshener.jpg

I moved into Leith 5 months ago.

One thing I have noticed is that the people of Leith cannot cross a road properly.

They'll just randomly walk onto the road and in front of traffic.

I'm pretty sure my little vagabond friend that London hearts posted stats a year or so ago saying that for a period they were better than the reptiles

thus Hobos not even being the best team in Leith

now if you don't mind

airwick_airfreshener.jpg

Has it not been established several times in this thread that Hibs were founded in the Cowgate (Edinburgh) and play at ER (Edinburgh) and have therefore never been a Leith club?

Is there a point to this thread? We have established:

1. Leith is now part of Edinburgh and is no longer a town in it own right
  2. Hibs have enver been a Leith Club
  3. Leith is full of Jambos
  4. There is a good chance of finding pondlife in Leith and Gorgie
  5. There are several sources of boundary info on Edinburgh and Leith
  6. Hearts play in Gorgie so what's the interest in Leith?

Oh I and St Bernards (or whatever) were a Leith Club.........

The hobos are from Lochend. Leith is separate but now, like Musselburgh is becoming, it has almagamated with Edinburgh and is difficult to say where is Leith and where is Edinburgh.

The hobos will call their home Leith, despite the fact they are from Lochend, just as they will call their stadium "Easter Road" when in actual fact, it is on Albion Road.

Idiots really.

Archived