Is Velika Too Greedy

Jambo in Bathgate

Jambo in Bathgate

I don't want to sound ungrateful but, having just watched the highlights on the BBC website. On two occassions yesterday we could have scored had Velika squared the ball I know one was to Elliot but I could have scored if he squared it to me.

loveofthegame

While it would have been nice if Elliot had grabbed a goal to get it up the boo boys Tobias is right- on a hattrick velicka had every right to have a go.

I cant think of the 2nd time you mean?

Ive only watched hearts regularly for about 10 years and during that time ive always found hearts sides to be a little shot shy. They would never try an early unexpected shot from range or anything over ambitious.

I actually think all the lithuanians have made a big difference to hearts in that way as they dont mind having a pop even if its unlikely to go in. Velicka's goal against falkirk away last season is my favourite example of this as he took the goalie completely by surprise by hitting it early from range.

I for one am glad velicka is greedy and always looking to score.

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Good photos on London Hearts clearly show this , however it is more

important that he expresses his strikers instinct ( being greedy )

than taking the option of squaring the ball to Elliot and Driver

Maybe he has to work on his awareness though ? Maybe not .

I can't argue as he has been our best goalscorer this season .

Ive only watched hearts regularly for about 10 years and during that time ive always found hearts sides to be a little shot shy. They would never try an early unexpected shot from range or anything over ambitious.

I actually think all the lithuanians have made a big difference to hearts in that way as they dont mind having a pop even if its unlikely to go in. Velicka's goal against falkirk away last season is my favourite example of this as he took the goalie completely by surprise by hitting it early from range.

I for one am glad velicka is greedy and always looking to score.

Aye. Completely agree. Sometimes a player needs to be greedy if others are not prepared to have a pop.

Aye. Completely agree. Sometimes a player needs to be greedy if others are not prepared to have a pop.

Shoots on sight, no complaints here:)

Clum would have missed.

He was on his hat-trick, he'd earned the right to be greedy there.

Aye Gretna looked like they would only score from a fluke, so a hatrick was best plan.

Byt need to be a bit more passing in tighter games

Is Velicka too greedy? No striker can ever be too greedy, in my opinion. That is particularly important when you only have one competent striker in the squad.

I don't want to sound ungrateful but, having just watched the highlights on the BBC website. On two occassions yesterday we could have scored had Velika squared the ball I know one was to Elliot but I could have scored if he squared it to me.

Are you sure you are a Hearts fan or even a football supporter ?

Hearts Heritage

We were talking about this on the train.

The defender was blocking any pass to CE

_MG_4279.jpg

And here

_MG_4280.jpg

Nelly Terraces

If my centre forward's in the box, I want him to shoot, and not fackin well pass it off to someone else. Espesh if that someone else is Clum Elliott.

Striking is the one time when greed most certainly is good.:P

Jambo in Bathgate

_MG_4279.jpg

And here

_MG_4280.jpg

Thanks. I sit in the old stand. You had a clearer view than I did.

The other incident was his first chance in the 1st minute that hit the side netting. Driver and Shammy were running in on goal.

My view is it would have been good to score more two goals.

Hearts Heritage

The other incident was his first chance in the 1st minute that hit the side netting. Driver and Shammy were running in on goal.

It was only when I looked at the photos that I could 'see' the defender blocking the pass. It happens so quickly .

You can see that first chance here

If a strikers on a hat trick at that time in the game, with the game won, then he has every right to shoot IMO. On the other hand i know what your getting at and he should have squared it to Driver in the opening seconds of the game when he went round the keeper. When the first goal is on offer at that time in any game, I would call it greedy, but some of the best strikers in the world get tunnel vision in these positions. The paradox here is that this characteristic is one of the reaons why they score so many goals.

Christ come on he is a striker all the good ones a greedy it's that selfishness that gets them so much goals his instincts are always to try and score.Anything to critisise some people.

The way Driver and Shammy were shooting on Saturday it wouldn't have mattered if he had squared it !

cobbyshambles

the option he had was go himself or pass it to elliot, there was really no choice there, nobody would have passed it.

The text book say shoot across the keeper so in the second instance he did everything right . The first one was in the first minute and maybe should have squared the ball after beating the keeper.On balance strikers should have blinkers and shoot on site.

Clum would have missed anyway.

I think probably the likes of Dimitar Berbatov would have seen and executed the right pass there..............but we dont have him or anybody anywhere close to that level playing for us :sad:

Yet :1022:

Victor Meldrew

Velicka scores two goals, and is working harder in games, so we have a new way of criticising him.

We won. He scored 2 goals. Job done.

The Old Tolbooth

Personally I prefer a striker who aint scared to have a go, it shows that he's full of coinfidence. One thing that really narks me is when players are in excellent goal scoring positions and they pass the bloody thing because they are too scared to have a pop at goal, it frustrates the life out of me.

Personally I prefer a striker who aint scared to have a go, it shows that he's full of coinfidence. One thing that really narks me is when players are in excellent goal scoring positions and they pass the bloody thing because they are too scared to have a pop at goal, it frustrates the life out of me.

Exactly.......that's a key failing of Audrey who would be an excellent forward if only he would shoot earlier (still rate him tho') ;)

I think at times he is too gready and would've done well to square the ball... however he was on for a hatrick and so in that situation any striker would have gone for the shot. If we were a goal down or drawing and he'd done that, we'd all be castigating him for not passing... even if it was to Clum!

That said Clum scores and his confidence would have soared... no bad thing.

Although if we'd won that game four or five nil, we'd all be getting a bit big for our boots and over confident for the forthcoming tic, well and rankers games. A two nil win gives us the points while also reminding us that we were still fairly poor and will have to work very hard to get any kind of result in the next three games.

We missed Nade yesterday.

The only Hearts striker from the past thirty years who would have passed in that situation is Stephane Adam, who always tried to pick out the better-placed team-mate.

But then we used to criticise him for not scoring enough goals. ;)

Victor Meldrew
I think at times he is too gready and would've done well to square the ball... however he was on for a hatrick and so in that situation any striker would have gone for the shot. If we were a goal down or drawing and he'd done that, we'd all be castigating him for not passing... even if it was to Clum!

That said Clum scores and his confidence would have soared... no bad thing.

Although if we'd won that game four or five nil, we'd all be getting a bit big for our boots and over confident for the forthcoming tic, well and rankers games. A two nil win gives us the points while also reminding us that we were still fairly poor and will have to work very hard to get any kind of result in the next three games.

We missed Nade yesterday.

The thing is, Clum would have put it out for a throw.

Dagger Is Back

_MG_4279.jpg

And here

_MG_4280.jpg

Great photos. I said yesterday that I thought AV should have passed to Clum but now I realise that he did take the best option.

Oh and BTW, before anyone asks, I am a Hearts fan and a football supporter.

If you look at the replay from behind the goal for the chance in the first minute, the ball is actually getting away from Velicka and he has to stretch to wrap his foot round the ball.

So the chances of him warapping his foot another sharp angle were slim. I thought he should have passed at first showing but upon seeing the replay I noticed chances were slim of slipping it to Driver or Shammy.

What big Andrius might have done is shot earlier, but you will receive no complaints from me about the big man. I'm one of those fans that cheer for him the loudest at games. (And don't hold back because of his nationality or Kaunas links)

He has every right to go for it himself. Unlucky with the offside goal aswell. Another great performance all round by Velicka as for some of the rest of them 'could do better' is a phrase ill use.

Most strikers tend to be 'greedy' from time to time, its just the nature of the beast. Think Velicka has a slight tendancy to stop and feel sorry for himself at times instead of just getting on with the game, again not the only player to be guilty of that...

He maybe is a bit greedy, but you want your strikers to be surely.....

I rate Elliott, but he's not having the best of times at the moment. Perhaps another loan spell is what's needed for the laddie.

cobbyshambles
Great photos. I said yesterday that I thought AV should have passed to Clum but now I realise that he did take the best option.

if the defender lunged like that before he shot he could have cut back inside and squared it.

Walter Bishop

Quality photos mate!!:1022:

_MG_4279.jpg

And here

_MG_4280.jpg

I like Velicka. He does what a striker should do, have a crack at goal when he can. He had already scored 2 and had a decent shout for going for the third.

But putting that to one side there is no way that defender is in the way of a good pass to Clum !! He has about a metre to slip it through, unless the defender is inspector gadget :wavey:

As has been said he was on his hatrick,works hiss ass off in every game and so is entitled to go his own I think. If anyone is greedy I would say ksanavcius is one.

have to back velicka here shoot first especially if elliot is the only other option and especially if you are going for a hatrick elliot would have done the same in his position if velicka wants to grab 20 goals he will have to be greedy :welldone:

Archived