Set Pieces

wavydavy

Why are we so crap at set pieces?

Surely we must work on them at training?

Can't believe that we never have anyone on the Goalkeeper, I know a lot of people blame Stewart for putting the ball straight to the Goalie but then if we had someone trying to block him (legally) then we would have half a chance of at least threatening.

I think twice in the second half yesterday we did actually vary the corners and looked much more of a threat.

Do any of the guys that go to Riccarton to watch the team train ever see us practising set pieces?

loveofthegame

You answered your own question mate- we're so bad as the quality of the delivery is so horrific.

Stewart cannot deliver a good ball and must be told he shouldnt take them any more.

Chesney took them once and the quality was superb- we even scored from one of his corners that day.

If the quality of deliverys poor you wont score goals. Simple as that

When will we learn that if you 'float' the ball into the 6 yard box 99/100 the goalie will have an easy take.

It has got to be whipped in.

Jambo in Bathgate
Why are we so crap at set pieces?

Surely we must work on them at training?

Can't believe that we never have anyone on the Goalkeeper, I know a lot of people blame Stewart for putting the ball straight to the Goalie but then if we had someone trying to block him (legally) then we would have half a chance of at least threatening.

I think twice in the second half yesterday we did actually vary the corners and looked much more of a threat.

Do any of the guys that go to Riccarton to watch the team train ever see us practising set pieces?

I watched the England v Switzerland last Wednesday. Thought England played set pieces well. Cappello has them hiting the ball into the 12 yard area. This takes the keeper out of the game and gives the attacking team the edge as they are facing the goal. The number of time yesterday the keeper caught the ball from corners etc was dreadful.

Really frustrating yesterday when nearly all free kicks and corners were picked up easily by not a very tall keeper. Room for improvement here!

Spitonastranger

also banksy kept hitting the ball towards our smallest player on the park:confused:stewert must be taken off free kicks, i know its basic but velicka can strike a ball why not let him at times strike for goal:wavey:

To be honest with you it really is down to lack of ability, not coaching or practicing set pieces.

The one guy we have with skill who can deliver a free kick is on his way back from Africa.....

...no doubt injured and out for 6 weeks!!!!!!:mad:

Thought stewart had a particularly poor game all round. He was sleeping most of the times when the ball came to him. The dummy on the edge of the box caught him out completely. made one good pass though.

Its because we dont have any players or coaches who are capable of using their head to play football, rather than their feet.

Weeks ago, in the heavy rain/snow....did we consider this, and put the ball at pace through the wall towards goal....no we lofted it over the bar.

Can we adapt to pass the ball bette rin those conditions....no, we got cuaght out with the ball sticking in the wet.

Do we understand that agianst Hibs, Jones will mop up ALL the high balls....no, we carried on playing them.

Do we see that Ksanivicius is 4 foot tall.....no, we expect him to win headers.

We can play good football, when basic will do.

But we dont have anyone smart enough to make any changes or adapt to the team/conditions we are dealing with.

Our set pieces are much the same....no thought goes into them.

We barely make it past the first man....or if we do, its into the crowd/keeper.

Larry will make a massive difference when he comes back, not least for his set pieces. The guy has quality delivery and we need him back ASAP.

Anybody know the extent of his injury ????

Larry will make a massive difference when he comes back, not least for his set pieces. The guy has quality delivery and we need him back ASAP.

From about his ankle to his knee apparently.

Wasn't Stewart still taking corners when Larry was in the team? :confused:

As has been said. We NEED the ball to be whipped in, take the keeper out of the game and give the defenders all the work.

Chesney can whip a decent cross in and Ksnasvicius whipped in some crackers with his left when Driver was out. They take corners as if they were curling a shot towards the top corner. No floating. It's such an antequated way of taking set-pieces.

I was shouting at the top of my lungs on Saturday about the need for different set-pieces. Big fat Mixu commented after the derby that they had worked on defending against Hearts set-piece, and that he was disappointed we scored from it anyway. Other teams know we only have one real set-piece option = Float the ball to the back post and have Berra (who isn't the best headerer of the ball) to kncok it down into the six yard box and hope we get something on it.

More often than not we float it right over everyone or it goes straight to the keeper. Yet we keep on doing it. As we have no other options it seems. There was a slight difference 2nd half, when we played short corners. Frail must have had a word.

On a related note - when velicka or Ksanavicius found themselves on the wings, did anyone notice the very lukewarm way Driver and a few others enetered the penalty area. They were there as if they had to be rather than they were looking to get on the end of something. The amount of times one of the Lith lads would whip in a half decent ball and Driver was just flat footed. No anticipation, no movement, no trying to find space for himself. Just ball watching not really expecting the ball to come anywhere near him.

also banksy kept hitting the ball towards our smallest player on the park:confused:

I normally agree with that sentiment but on Saturday it set up our 2nd goal, clearance to Audrey from Banks, ball into the box for Velicka to shoot and then he was tripped.

If Stewart cannot realise after 4 or 5 attempts that his technique or target is wrong then he must be quite stupid in my opinion. If he is going to float the ball in then it must be nowhere nearer the goal than the penalty spot or it's the keepers ball.

Dr Ian Malcolm
Wasn't Stewart still taking corners when Larry was in the team? :confused:

As has been said. We NEED the ball to be whipped in, take the keeper out of the game and give the defenders all the work.

Chesney can whip a decent cross in and Ksnasvicius whipped in some crackers with his left when Driver was out. They take corners as if they were curling a shot towards the top corner. No floating. It's such an antequated way of taking set-pieces.

I was shouting at the top of my lungs on Saturday about the need for different set-pieces. Big fat Mixu commented after the derby that they had worked on defending against Hearts set-piece, and that he was disappointed we scored from it anyway. Other teams know we only have one real set-piece option = Float the ball to the back post and have Berra (who isn't the best headerer of the ball) to kncok it down into the six yard box and hope we get something on it.

More often than not we float it right over everyone or it goes straight to the keeper. Yet we keep on doing it. As we have no other options it seems. There was a slight difference 2nd half, when we played short corners. Frail must have had a word.

On a related note - when velicka or Ksanavicius found themselves on the wings, did anyone notice the very lukewarm way Driver and a few others enetered the penalty area. They were there as if they had to be rather than they were looking to get on the end of something. The amount of times one of the Lith lads would whip in a half decent ball and Driver was just flat footed. No anticipation, no movement, no trying to find space for himself. Just ball watching not really expecting the ball to come anywhere near him.

lol. Comfirmation that Hibs are fecking clueless.

Good shout

If Stewart cannot realise after 4 or 5 attempts that his technique or target is wrong then he must be quite stupid in my opinion. If he is going to float the ball in then it must be nowhere nearer the goal than the penalty spot or it's the keepers ball.

But should we not be putting someone in front of the Goalkeeper!!!:1022:

The wee man should be on corner duty surely? It makes sense. Banks did make one great pass to the wee man on the wing to set up the penalty.

robbo took a good free kick like the 2 he scored against hibs in his time.

Remember Jean Louis valios screamer against partick?

larry kingston's one against st mirren last season was quite good.

Paul hartley against celtic when borat wasn't ready

Paul Hartley against zibby in the semi hahaha

Paul Hartley against motherwell in his 1st season for us.

Ferguson against B munic in 1989.

Can anyone think of any more good free kick takers we have had?

The wee man should be on corner duty surely? It makes sense. Banks did make one great pass to the wee man on the wing to set up the penalty.

I thought that Banks half sclaffed/half hooked that one a la Craig Gordon. He followed it up with a more extreme version a few minutes later. He also gave Palazuelos a horrible man-on short pass. From Mr Reliable he seems to be getting more and more uncertain.

On the original topic, I posted elsewhere that the two short corners, one from Stewart the other maybe Ksnavisicius, we actually created attempts on goal. Corners into box just leave Berra etc. stranded upfield and open to a break by the opposition.

Apart from the corners, I thought Stewart had a much-improved performance in terms of control (in all senses) and teamwork.

Bruno is a decent free kick taker. He scored a screamer last season against somebody.

Kevin Twaddle?

Dundee Utd??

PS "Kevin Twaddle"? I am unfamiliar with that term in football parliance. :rolleyes:

But should we not be putting someone in front of the Goalkeeper!!!:1022:

No I don't think we should as the Ref will undoubtedly award them a freekick for a foul on the keeper. Hearts have to do everything extra clean from now to try and beat these refs, it's the only way.

Vincent Guerin in his brief spell.

Bruno is a decent free kick taker. He scored a screamer last season against somebody.

Motherwell. We won 4-1. Bruno had an absolute cracker of a performance that day.

Driver against Celtic at Darkheid.

Archived