Remember back to this time last year & all the talk of boycotts etc

Craigieboy

I know that there were some pretty strong arguments for boycotting the club/ST's/merchandice etc but, looking back, it all seems rather silly now.

Was there not even a picture of someones ST lying in a pile of mud on the pitch?

We were pretty pish though.

The whole season was murder but those last 5 games in the bottom 6 were chronic.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chad Sexington

Ah yes. The "pressure groups" being organised from bedrooms in England.

What a joke.

:sorcerer:

shaun.lawson

What a joke.

It's pretty simple really, Chad. This time last year, the club was a monumental shambles. The one thing everyone wanted above all else was a manager - by July, we hadn't had one in 17 months! So someone needed to try and do something. Then we appointed someone at last; and the leadership we all craved has gradually followed, on and off the pitch.

That's fantastic. Do I regret my actions at the time? Not a bit of it. A huge majority of Kickbackers agreed something needed to be done. I was never in favour of boycotts, incidentally: boycotts are divisive and punish the team when they've done nothing to deserve it. Nor was I ever 'against' Romanov. Probably 99% of Hearts fans have always wanted this to work; and this season, it's started to. Things are now looking more encouraging than at any point since Autumn 2005; and more to the point, we're no longer losing money hand over fist in the process.

But would this have happened had we not appointed a manager, and should many people behind the scenes be commended for bringing Romanov to his senses and convincing him to appoint a fully autonomous one? No and yes respectively. If the club had been run properly in the first place, hardly anyone would've been unhappy; that it now is seems a vindication of simple common sense to me.

I know that there were some pretty strong arguments for boycotting the club/ST's/merchandice etc but, looking back, it all seems rather silly now.

Was there not even a picture of someones ST lying in a pile of mud on the pitch?

We were pretty pish though.

The whole season was murder but those last 5 games in the bottom 6 were chronic.

As I remember, folk were chucking their season tickets onto the pitch on the last game of the season!

It's pretty simple really, Chad. This time last year, the club was a monumental shambles. The one thing everyone wanted above all else was a manager - by July, we hadn't had one in 17 months! So someone needed to try and do something. Then we appointed someone at last; and the leadership we all craved has gradually followed, on and off the pitch.

That's fantastic. Do I regret my actions at the time? Not a bit of it. A huge majority of Kickbackers agreed something needed to be done. I was never in favour of boycotts, incidentally: boycotts are divisive and punish the team when they've done nothing to deserve it. Nor was I ever 'against' Romanov. Probably 99% of Hearts fans have always wanted this to work; and this season, it's started to. Things are now looking more encouraging than at any point since Autumn 2005; and more to the point, we're no longer losing money hand over fist in the process.

But would this have happened had we not appointed a manager, and should many people behind the scenes be commended for bringing Romanov to his senses and convincing him to appoint a fully autonomous one? No and yes respectively. If the club had been run properly in the first place, hardly anyone would've been unhappy; that it now is seems a vindication of simple common sense to me.

No offence Shaun but many on here can't see you as a genuine Hearts fan. Your association with the press, however tentative, also puts people against you. Many see you as a stirrer and wonder why you take the trouble to post on here so much.This I think prompted the comment from Chad. Many agreed something had to be done, but someone from so far away was not the right way to go about it. My personal opinion about you comes from your defence of certain journolists, who appear to be on Hearts side, but it was proved that they too jump on the band wagon and stick the boot in, if it means they sell papers.

We were currently 4 months in to a search for a manager having had interim committees since Valdas left.

We had just sold the only guy that scored regular goals for us

Whilst there might not have been an official boycott there were a lot of people who delayed buying season tickets longer than they ordinarily would. Some to the end of the early bird, some until the appointment of Csaba

Getting a manager who was not a puppet was the main immediate bone of contention to most of the complaints

We got a manager who is not a puppet.

I'd imagine the slow uptake of season tickets last season will not be repeated this time.

Thats kind of what happens when it looks as if a football club is being run more coherently and evidence of this stability is being shown within the footballing side of the club

ToadKiller Dog

I would say it was the first major overblown crisis for the Internet generation ,We as a fan base expect top 6 as a minimum any thing less is an embarrassment , we didnt get that last season. A lot of the anger was about being embarrassed.

I dont know if anybody changed Vlads mind either does anybody else apart from the man himself ,I always thought the protest plans were a bit aimless and with no real goal.

I thought there was always going to be a change this season ,Never expected Csaba ,thought Mcghee was the shoe in and would get us to our base line expectations.

In the end it showed what the minimum expectations of our fan base are ,top 6 fighting for europe and a solid management with a squad all fighting for the shirt and maybe a cup run,

Do that and the majority of the fan base are happy.

Would be interestinng to know if those who did boycott are considering getting a ST next season.

I would say it was the first major overblown crisis for the Internet generation ,.

There were plenty heated discussions on here in the Pieman era!

No offence Shaun but many on here can't see you as a genuine Hearts fan. Your association with the press, however tentative, also puts people against you. Many see you as a stirrer and wonder why you take the trouble to post on here so much.This I think prompted the comment from Chad. Many agreed something had to be done, but someone from so far away was not the right way to go about it. My personal opinion about you comes from your defence of certain journolists, who appear to be on Hearts side, but it was proved that they too jump on the band wagon and stick the boot in, if it means they sell papers.

Good to see that you feel you can speak on behalf of the 'many' on JKB.

Not only do I not agree with you, I also can't be entirely sure that I understand what the heck you're on about.

:huh:

In the end it showed what the minimum expectations of our fan base are ,top 6 fighting for europe and a solid management with a squad all fighting for the shirt and maybe a cup run,

Do that and the majority of the fan base are happy.

Its interesting but as a result of Romanov's reign my minimum expectations moving forward will always be lower.

Depending on our financial circumstances my minimum expectations is that highlighted in bold. I took it for granted previously which meant I would have signed up to the full statement, but whilst Romanov is here if we get what is in bold as a minimum then fair dues. For half of Romanov's time here we havent had it...

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I missed all the C.H.A.R.M banter ... what did it stand for?!

Good to see that you feel you can speak on behalf of the 'many' on JKB.

Not only do I not agree with you, I also can't be entirely sure that I understand what the heck you're on about.

:huh:

:Agree:

I was thinking the same.

A lot of words but no very much sense spoken.

What a joke.

Correct Chad. Revolution was in the air in the shire counties and the fenlands. Bunch of fan dangs. :sorcerer:

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. The reason we were having protests and proposed boycotts is because we were an absolute circus. These were genuine feelings at the time. I seem to recall more than one person on here saying they would never go back. Would be interesting to see who hasn't

I'm delighted we have an excellent manager in charge. I'm delighted we have in Campbell Ogilvie someone at the top who CAN run a football team amd I'm delighted VR seems to have finally calmed down and let the professionals get on with it. Just shows you what a sensible, common sense approach can do.

But it could have gone downhill, even from last years low point. Just because it didnt happen and we emerged out the other end, doesnt mean that peoples complaints and fears werent valid.

I missed all the C.H.A.R.M banter ... what did it stand for?!

Confused Helmets Against Romanov Miracle

I seem to recall more than one person on here saying they would never go back. Would be interesting to see who hasn't

If people actually said that in relation to what was going on last year then they should just **** off.

Worser things have happened to Hearts FFS.

ToadKiller Dog
There were plenty heated discussions on here in the Pieman era!

Certainly was ,even the Rix appointment where a few posters were called Peado lovers as they thought (wrongly maybe ) that since he was appointed he should be given a chance .

But nothing to me was like the emotional ups and downs and bold statements ,Crazy plans ,end of the worlders of last summer .

The few that were arguing that we should set up AFC Hearts now or the club would be dead by Xmas if it wasnt already ,those that let themselves be lead by the hand of the Hobo stirrers, the opposite who refused to see anything wrong with Vlad ,the whole Mcghee fiasco.

Shauns Scheme

Almost makes me nostalgic

As I remember, folk were chucking their season tickets onto the pitch on the last game of the season!

Rebels. That really showed Romanov didn't it?

There were certainly a few folk on here that said they wouldn't go back as long as Romanov was owner. I bet a couple have came back.

Thank feck for Csaba i say, it could be argued that without the discontent this time last year, would VR have even appointed a manager?

Last years discontent doesn't seem silly to me.

Bringing up last years discontent seems pointless though, considering the season we're having.

shaun.lawson

I'd love to know what association with the press you think I have. It's true that when I was blogging two years back, the idea of eventually becoming a journalist was one possibility I considered; I've rejected it utterly since, not least because I'm obviously far too long winded to be taken on by anybody! I've emailed some journalists in the past and had a few exchanges with them - anyone can do the same if they wish. But aside from that, that's it: no association with the press at all in truth.

Re: my "not being a genuine Hearts fan": I'll always be on a hiding to nothing unless I move up to Scotland, and I'm cheerfully resigned to that. On here, I can often be my own worst enemy when my juices are flowing: I genuinely have no idea what an argumentative gob****e I no doubt come across as on occasion. But to go back to that whole pressure group/CHARM fandango - what most people invariably forget is I was categorical right from the outset that I obviously could not lead any such (proposed) group, was hopelessly ill qualified and at a remote location, and above all, just wanted a reasonable debate about what we as fans proposed to do.

My position was no different to that of Iain Macleod or Dougie Masterton, who requested a meeting with the club that week: most reasonable, moderate fans were very seriously concerned. Thankfully, it was shortly afterwards that things finally got moving at the club - and here we are today. :sorcerer:

Guest jambomickey
I'd love to know what association with the press you think I have. It's true that when I was blogging two years back, the idea of eventually becoming a journalist was one possibility I considered; I've rejected it utterly since, not least because I'm obviously far too long winded to be taken on by anybody! I've emailed some journalists in the past and had a few exchanges with them - anyone can do the same if they wish. But aside from that, that's it: no association with the press at all in truth.

Re: my "not being a genuine Hearts fan": I'll always be on a hiding to nothing unless I move up to Scotland, and I'm cheerfully resigned to that. On here, I can often be my own worst enemy when my juices are flowing: I genuinely have no idea what an argumentative gob****e I no doubt come across as on occasion. But to go back to that whole pressure group/CHARM fandango - what most people invariably forget is I was categorical right from the outset that I obviously could not lead any such (proposed) group, was hopelessly ill qualified and at a remote location, and above all, just wanted a reasonable debate about what we as fans proposed to do.

My position was no different to that of Iain Macleod or Dougie Masterton, who requested a meeting with the club that week: most reasonable, moderate fans were very seriously concerned. Thankfully, it was shortly afterwards that things finally got moving at the club - and here we are today. :sorcerer:

are you still planning moving up shaun?

Harry Palmer

Shaun, I suggest you start another protest/pressure group from afar....

Who knows where we'll be this time next year?

shaun.lawson
Shaun, I suggest you start another protest/pressure group from afar....

Who knows where we'll be this time next year?

In title contention I hope! (well, dream at least...)

shaun.lawson
are you still planning moving up shaun?

Perhaps Mickey. It completely depends on where I can find work. It'd only be for a year or two max wherever it is, though: I wrote in the Shed the other day about what my medium term plan is, and that'll entail me heading off to South America before too long.

Guest jambomickey
Perhaps Mickey. It completely depends on where I can find work. It'd only be for a year or two max wherever it is, though: I wrote in the Shed the other day about what my medium term plan is, and that'll entail me heading off to South America before too long.

next time you're up mate hopefully we can have a few pints.

shaun.lawson

Would love to Mickey. I doubt it'll be before August - but when I am, I'll give you a shout beforehand.

Guest jambomickey
Would love to Mickey. I doubt it'll be before August - but when I am, I'll give you a shout beforehand.

no problem mate.

No offence Shaun but many on here can't see you as a genuine Hearts fan.

I'll agree with this bit.

There's no denying that what he posts is well written, constructed and most of the time factual.

However i'm afraid I see him as nothing more than a faceless statto with no real connection with this club, too much e-time on his hands and just someone who generally loves football.

Hearts fan? Hearts fans dont "switch to the other side" when folk on here disagree with them. And anyone who can realistically flick the Hearts fan / Hibs fan switch in the manner in which he did cannot seriously call themselves a supporter of our great club.

Hearts are just one of many play things for him to research and spraff about.

Buffalo Bill

The worst thing was the abuse being dished out by a bunch of cyber-geeks to supporters like me because we bought season tickets.

I've still never met one of these people in real life.

Buffalo Bill

Mickey...nae offence,but why to you ask everyone out for a pint? Have you nae mates?

The worst thing was the abuse being dished out by a bunch of cyber-geeks to supporters like me because we bought season tickets.

Buffalo Bill

Apparently Bill, we "killed" this club..... hmmmmm.......

Guest jambomickey

Buffalo Bill

that's a bug bear of mine aswell mate! give abuse to fellow hearts fans on the net but never make themselves known on matchdays.

What a joke.

Correct Chad,and lets not forget Melbourne:smash:

Guest jambomickey
Mickey...nae offence,but why to you ask everyone out for a pint? Have you nae mates?

got loads of mates eggo! i've met loads from jkb during the season, the difference with me and some others is i don't hide behind a keyboard.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
got loads of mates eggo! i've met loads from jkb during the season, the difference with me and some others is i don't hide behind a keyboard.

Fancy a pint 2nite, m8???

Ive never met you..so its only through a keyboard ive heard of you:!blank:

Or are you hiding from me:sorcerer:

Guest jambomickey
Ive never met you..so its only through a keyboard ive heard of you:!blank:

Or are you hiding from me:sorcerer:

eggo i've seen you at many games through the year and as i said before i wasn't far away from you that day to forget at dens, next time i see you i will say hi.

eggo i've seen you at many games through the year and as i said before i wasn't far away from you that day to forget at dens, next time i see you i will say hi.

Dont just say Hi,lets have a few beers with the rest of the world:sorcerer:

there will be no recriminations from me towards those who advocated boycotts, protests and the like. there will be no crowing about how i and other pro-romanov people have some how been vindicated for our faith.

what i would say is this... i sincerely hope that there would be no claims from the anti-romanov camp and the people who were determined never to set foot inside tynecastle again that the better times of the present day and bright future have been brought about because of their actions and words.

that would be as wrong as the day is long.

john brownlee

some of us had faith in Mr Romanov to deliever, where as some just had no patience We are not the finished article but we certinarly on the road to achieving something

Well done Mr Romanov. Dont be a politition and try to take credit for something most of us could see was going to happen anyway it was only a matter of time until he appointed the correct staff.

Well done Mr Romanov. Dont be a politition and try to take credit for something most of us could see was going to happen anyway it was only a matter of time until he appointed the correct staff.

:4_1_72:

Nucky Thompson

Most of us were pishing ourselves laughing at the feeble talk of protests. It was mostly Kids being egged on by undercover Hobbits. I knew Mr Romanov would find us the right man for the job.

Myself and a few others never bought season tickets this year .. but i've been to 95% of the home games, the reason being if the mad one decided to interfere like he had been we had no way to protest. He has all the money up front and can carry on with all his nonsense however he made a great appointment in csaba and has left him to run the team..

The season tickets are down 3000 on last season but i for one will be back and will try convince to others i go to games with to buy a season ticket for next season... in csaba we trust

Apparently Bill, we "killed" this club..... hmmmmm.......
There were those who were saying such things and as others have mentioned, some were hobos.

Me as well Shaun, Never got a pint with you in your last creation, do you still have a Bollywood wife, or was she killed of when you were buried at Bannockburn?We could invite the Hobo that jumped out of a plane for you/Irvine Jambo as well, what a laugh that'll be!! :tt2::10900:

shaun.lawson
Me as well Shaun, Never got a pint with you in your last creation, do you still have a Bollywood wife, or was she killed of when you were buried at Bannockburn?We could invite the Hobo that jumped out of a plane for you/Irvine Jambo as well, what a laugh that'll be!! :tt2::10900:

The old ones are always the best, aren't they... Now if you'll excuse me, I just need to go and check on Shilpa. :sorcerer:

Archived