Velicka, Our Best Striker Since Robbo?

The Comedian

Right foot, on the head and with his left as seen today, we have a thoroughly well rounded striker In Andreas Velicka.

He's scored at Parkhead a few times and Ibrox as well, he's scored goals Robbo never would have. He's our 20 goal a season man without a doubt. Of all the Lith contingent he's the best without a doubt.

Anyone agree?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right foot, on the head and with his left as seen today, we have a thoroughly well rounded striker In Andreas Velicka.

He's scored at Parkhead a few times and Ibrox as well, he's scored goals Robbo never would have. He's our 20 goal a season man without a doubt. Of all the Lith contingent he's the best without a doubt.

Anyone agree?

Almost - Bednar could have been. Beni could be given a chance. But all in all - yes I agree

Some people on this site still think he is 'lower level' at best.

These people have a problem with Lithuanian's doing well at HMFC. Sad people IMO.

Velicka is a goal Machine. I have always said that. And i have always been right. :)

I remember the first game he played in when Hartley gave him pelters for being lazy for not running for an over hit pass....

He's a very valuable part of our squad and the stats don't lie. Seen Robbo score all sorts of goals though. And Velicka's got a long way to go before he can be mentioned alongside the wee man. Yes his ratio per game is slightly better than Robbo's I believe. But it's not really a comparison when you consider that Robbo's record was over a much longer period.

We need to hold onto Velicka though. As our season would have been in a much more dire state of affairs without him.

I think Stephan Adam is a better striker than him.

I think Adam was a better player, but not a better striker. Adam had a great ability to make space for other players, he a Velick up front would be pretty good, if Steph was 10 years younger.

We have been waiting for the new Robbo since the wee man played his last game for us. And we are still waiting. Velicka is nowhere near robbo.

However he is a lot better than some folk on here think he is. 11 goals in the SPL, equal 2nd top scorer in Scotland, our top scorer last season and this and yet he still gets pelters on here. Quite a lot of folk have him in their 'couldn't care less if he stay's or go's' category in the endless 'who would you empty' threads we have on here Some even have him in their 'GTF NOW!!!!' category FFS.

For me he's a good striker, the best we have at the club just now by a country mile, but as I say not the new Robbo. Robbo was a legend.

De Vries was a better striker imo

Fuller too

Hes definitly the best we have at the moment, but his attitude and fitness are still issues

He can be posted missing at vital times

Theres a reason him and Ksanvicius are at this level and its they have major flaws

De Vries was a better striker imo

Fuller too

Hes definitly the best we have at the moment, but his attitude and fitness are still issues

He can be posted missing at vital times

Theres a reason him and Ksanvicius are at this level and its they have major flaws

How much did I want him to score today? I was willing him to score the winner against them feckers.

I think Stephan Adam is a better striker than him.

i noticed he has a legends posters at tynie, not sure i would go that far. Don't get me wrong i thought he was a good player but nothing special in terms of scoring record. Loved fuller but he was only with us for a short period of time, apart from that we have not really had a decent striker since robbo. Vel is classed but still misses too many chances in important games. He is one of the hardest working strikers we have had at the club tho .

Ask yourselves this:

It is the last minute of a big, big game and the ball rolls into the 18 yard box.

Who would you want it to fall to?

Adam or Velicka?

?

Yeah, I thought so too...

Buffalo Bill

Would Robbo do this?

watch?v=WXXlUemoo5s

I don't think so, Robbo was a poacher for me. Don't get me wrong, the wee fat striker is still a legend like.

Ask yourselves this:

It is the last minute of a big, big game and the ball rolls into the 18 yard box.

Who would you want it to fall to?

Adam or Velicka?

?

Yeah, I thought so too...

Buffalo Bill

Adam?

:)

He has a quality which all top strikers possess and that's the ability to get into scoring positions regularly. He may miss a few but he keeps coming back for more. For my money he's the only striker at the club who does this. I think Elliot could learn from watching him as sometimes Elliot has a tendancy to drift into deeper/wider positions to help in the build up. Whereas Velicka is more selfish and plays off the shoulder of the last man.

Would Robbo do this?

watch?v=WXXlUemoo5s

I don't think so, Robbo was a poacher for me. Don't get me wrong, the wee fat striker is still a legend like.

He did even better against the same team in the same competition at Tynie.

I remember the first game he played in when Hartley gave him pelters for being lazy for not running for an over hit pass....

I remember thinking Hartley was an arsehole for doing so.

I don't see any relevance to this thread.

Would Robbo do this?

watch?v=WXXlUemoo5s

Yes he would. Robbo was much more than just a poacher.

Hope Velicka does that against Celtic again in a game not a million miles away from now BTW.

Would Robbo do this?

watch?v=WXXlUemoo5s

April 1986

Tannadice

Dundee United v Hearts

Tight first half until from outside the box.................

Poacher? Bah!

Football has changed remember. robbo, the legend he was ,was a penalty box striker , apart from odd goal he scored from futher out, he was also a link up man, defenders hated going close to him , he would always make something happen. Velicka , i think is a great stiker for us. He's powerful and knows where the goals are. He could be a legend for us if there long enough.

April 1986

Tannadice

Dundee United v Hearts

Tight first half until from outside the box.................

Poacher? Bah!

I still think Velicka is the better player mate. What I will say is I was 1 when that game was played...

broxburnjambo

IMO, Velicka has it but needs to do it more often. Robbo given a sniff at goal, nine times out of ten would find the net, unfortunatly this is not the case with Velicka.

The best example was last week in the semi, when he had at least a couple of great chances to finish, but didn't produce.

Velicka has a long way to go, to even be mentioned in the same gategory as JR.

To be fair the OP asked if Velicka was our best striker SINCE Robbo. I dont think he sought to compare the two.

To answer the OP's question then. Is Velicka the best striker we have had since Robbo.........probably yes.

To confirm most other people thoughts. Is Velicka on the same planet as Robbo as a striker....absolutely NOT !!!

To be fair the OP asked if Velicka was our best striker SINCE Robbo. I dont think he sought to compare the two.

To answer the OP's question then. Is Velicka the best striker we have had since Robbo.........probably yes.

To confirm most other people thoughts. Is Velicka on the same planet as Robbo as a striker....absolutely NOT !!!

Yeah, what he said.

loveofthegame

I like Velicka, hes a goalscorer. But to start to compare him to Robbo is a joke.

I also think Adam, Bednar, Jankauskas and Fuller where all better

I like Velicka, hes a goalscorer. But to start to compare him to Robbo is a joke.

I also think Adam, Bednar, Jankauskas and Fuller where all better

Why is it a joke? Anyway I said SINCE Robbo. Geddit?

I still think Velicka is the better player mate. What I will say is I was 1 when that game was played...

Fair enough.

You missed a belter of a postage stamp strike - how many of us thought we'd clinched it that day?

Robbo at his peak was one heck of a player. It was an absolute disgrace that he didn't get his first Scotland cap until 1990 - considering Brian McClair's Jaffa-like form when wearing the dark blue.

Why is it a joke? Anyway I said SINCE Robbo. Geddit?

For all the reasons given above. And you did say further up that you thought Velicka was better.

But I do agree with your point that he is in the running for the best since.

loveofthegame

You seem to go on to state that you think Velicka was better. Velicka will never ever ever be anywhere close to Robbo and as i said isnt even the one of the top 2 strikers on ability we've had under Romanov

You seem to go on to state that you think Velicka was better. Velicka will never ever ever be anywhere close to Robbo and as i said isnt even the one of the top 2 strikers on ability we've had under Romanov

Lol all right I reckon Velicka is a better player, you got me. He's certainly for me the best striker since Robbo.

loveofthegame
Lol all right I reckon Velicka is a better player, you got me. He's certainly for me the best striker since Robbo.

Thats scarily wrong mate but ok ill leave you to it. Your stuck far too in the present and only remembering very recent events.

Velicka better than Robbo.... pffft, whatever next!

Karipidis better than Levein?

Miko better than Colquhoun?

Thats scarily wrong mate but ok ill leave you to it. Your stuck far too in the present and only remembering very recent events.

Velicka better than Robbo.... pffft, whatever next!

Karipidis better than Levein?

Miko better than Colquhoun?

And maybe you live in the past?

Maybe you're right though, but it's my opinion, I guess I never saw Robbo's true glory day's but from what I've seen from the early nineties onwards i stand by my statement.

Velicka or Robbo! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AW DINNAE PLEASE:nooo:

The question isn't Velicka or Robbo!! It's is he the best striker since Robbo?

Don't know what the stats are re Adam,Fuller,Velicka etc. But what I do know is this season would be soooooo much worse if it wasn't for Velicka!!!

loveofthegame

Maybe you're right though, but it's my opinion, I guess I never saw Robbo's true glory day's but from what I've seen from the early nineties onwards i stand by my statement.

I'm only 20 but know enough about my club, its players and its history to know you're talking pure pish

I'm only 20 but know enough about my club, its players and its history to know you're talking pure pish

Blow me mate.

you're digging a hole for yourself now. You admit that you never saw Robbo at his peak yet still claim that Velicka is better? This thread is getting a bit silly now. 1 is a legend the other has potential.

Thunderstruck

It's a sad indictment of some on JKB that the Huns think more of our ace striker than we do.

Anyone who questions his fitness level or workrate really should get down to Specsavers.

Today he was on left, on right, in the middle and even found backing up defence. He is constantly working away off the ball, dragging defenders about and making space that others should be able to exploit.

Strong, skillful and with an eye for goal, he is one of the best attackers I have seen in maroon.

Victor Meldrew

I take the old-fashioned view that a striker's job is to score goals. I don't care if a striker doesn't work too hard: McCoist didn't, Robbo didn't and in England, Gary Lineker didn't - but they all score lots of goals.

I'm not saying Velicka is in their class, but I just don't understand the criticism of him for 'not doing anything apart from scoring goals'.

As for the 'he misses lots of chances' I think it was Bill Shankly who when asked about Roger Hunt doing something similar said words to the effect that "at least he's in the right place to miss them"

I think Velicka is a valuable asset for us. Unlike any other striker since Robbo he seems to be able to score regularly and consistently over more than one season. I firmly believe he will score 20 goals this season.

What's more, he has scored goals in a poor team (which we have been this season and last). I wonder what he would have done if he'd had Hartley and Skacel in midfield to help make chances.....

His only problem is his nationality. If he weren't Lithuanian, many more on here would give him the credit that I think he deserves.

I take the old-fashioned view that a striker's job is to score goals. I don't care if a striker doesn't work too hard: McCoist didn't, Robbo didn't and in England, Gary Lineker didn't - but they all score lots of goals.

I'm not saying Velicka is in their class, but I just don't understand the criticism of him for 'not doing anything apart from scoring goals'.

As for the 'he misses lots of chances' I think it was Bill Shankly who when asked about Roger Hunt doing something similar said words to the effect that "at least he's in the right place to miss them"

I think Velicka is a valuable asset for us. Unlike any other striker since Robbo he seems to be able to score regularly and consistently over more than one season. I firmly believe he will score 20 goals this season.

What's more, he has scored goals in a poor team (which we have been this season and last). I wonder what he would have done if he'd had Hartley and Skacel in midfield to help make chances.....

His only problem is his nationality. If he weren't Lithuanian, many more on here would give him the credit that I think he deserves.

You may have a point. ;)

Anyway whether he is our best striker since Robbo or not doesn't really matter. we have a top quality striker who seems to score at will. Lets all be happy about that :1022:

As I said on another thread, he scores goals every 100 minutes for a crap team that play with one up front.

The guy deserves a medal.

_44147594_velicka_pa.jpg

Bufallo Bill

In answer to the OP's question about since Robbo then I will say Yes.

I think if he actually scored the ones he should and well as the ones he does there'd be no doubt at all. Velicka has the potential to be our 20 goal striker but time will tell. In terms of how much his goals have been worth this season though...well we'd be in a much sorrier state without them.

Archived