Intertotto Option

Dean Winchester

Prediction : Come October/November we will be told that the players are knackered, they have had far too many games and this has resulted in inconsistency and the general mediocrity of our performances.

I'd rather someone finished above us and took the available spot than lower ourselves to entering the Interdiddy. :mad:

Guest JamboRobbo
I'd rather someone finished above us and took the available spot than lower ourselves to entering the Interdiddy. :mad:

Agreed. If we ain't good enough to qualify through the league, there's little point embarrassing ourselves further entering the interdiddy cup.

Do people want European football or not? Ok, the Intertoto is the lowest of the low when it comes to European football but Hearts would have two very winnable ties to get through to qualify for the UEFA Cup. We would have competitive pre-season games instead of meaningless friendlies. It is sad that it has come to this but IMO we'd be mad not to enter. The problem we may have is finishing high enough in the league to qualify.

Guest Dipped Flake

A few years ago the Intertoto was a joke but now they have changed the rules and you only have to win a couple of ties to get into the Uefa cup, far more good quality teams are entering it. If we can't get into Europe through being high enough up in the league then why not go for this route. And maybe the thought of having to come back from the summer break 2 weeks earlier might just spur some of our players on to actually get into the top 3/4 this season

Guest Dipped Flake

Sampdoria, Hamburg, Athletico Madrid, Lens, Blackburn.....Just a few of the clubs that 'lowered' themselves to compete last year..

Guest Dipped Flake
Im happy to for it, as long as it isnt going to be used as an excuse by the lapdogs for next seasons failure

Never thought I would see HAPPY in one of your posts:)

Villarreal, Valencia, Schalke, Marseillie, Deportivo, Atletico Madrid, Lazio, Sampdoria, Newcastle and Blackburn are just some of the teams to have entered the intertoto in the last couple years yet Hearts are apparently too good to be in such a 'diddy cup'?

It's European football and with the new format a realistic shot of Uefa Cup football, surely that's better than a bunch of pointless friendlies in Germany or Lithuania which helped us start this season so well.

Brussels_Hearts

Why not if it could save this season??... it would only mean to play 2 home and 2 away games in july (first round is only for the very small nations) and sstill a chance to get to UEFA cup.

http://www.intertotocup.org/fixtures/fixtures.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

First Round

June 21 / 22 First Leg Fixtures

June 28 / 29 Second Leg Fixtures

Second Round

July 5 / 6 First Leg Fixtures

July 12 / 13 Second Leg Fixtures

Third Round

July 19 / 20 First Leg Fixtures

July 26 / 27 Second Leg Fixtures

Brussels_Hearts

Can't be worse than the useless friendlies Hearts played in Germany and Austria during their 2 (!) long summer camps last year anyway...

I agree with those saying far bigger clubs than us have entered the Intertoto however they have seen it is a very real avenue into the UEFA cup and progression into the latter stages.

Can anyone honestly say that it is likely we would come through 2 rounds (nevermind the 2 qualification rounds once in the UEFA) given we couldn't even get ourselves organised for the Champions League qualifiers played several weeks later and with a hell of a lot more at stake ?

Why not if it could save this season??... it would only mean to play 2 home and 2 away games in july (first round is only for the very small nations) and sstill a chance to get to UEFA cup.

http://www.intertotocup.org/fixtures/fixtures.html

First Round

June 21 / 22 First Leg Fixtures

June 28 / 29 Second Leg Fixtures

Second Round

July 5 / 6 First Leg Fixtures

July 12 / 13 Second Leg Fixtures

Third Round

July 19 / 20 First Leg Fixtures

July 26 / 27 Second Leg Fixtures

The earliness of those dates are a big concern to me. I can just see the excuses mid season that they are all knackered and injured when in reality they are just s***e.

ArmiyaRomanova
I agree with those saying far bigger clubs than us have entered the Intertoto however they have seen it is a very real avenue into the UEFA cup and progression into the latter stages.

Can anyone honestly say that it is likely we would come through 2 rounds (nevermind the 2 qualification rounds once in the UEFA) given we couldn't even get ourselves organised for the Champions League qualifiers played several weeks later and with a hell of a lot more at stake ?

There's a chance, and that's good enough for me.

Or are you saying we shouldn't bother entering because we couldn't possibly win through?

Ogi fae Gorgie

We were crap this season starting training three weeks ahead of the rest with no real competitive games, so why not give it a go.

jamboinglasgow

I am in two minds in this, the intertoto has been turned into a competition that will give us a uefa cup place which would be good however it is the early ties that worry me, I dont want players tired too early. In my mind, if we have a manager in before the summer, they should have the final say on whether they will enter it or not.

Guest JamboRobbo
We were crap this season starting training three weeks ahead of the rest with no real competitive games, so why not give it a go.

As I said at the time, more to do with Malofeev than anything else.

Or are you saying we shouldn't bother entering because we couldn't possibly win through?

In my opinion if we have no manager and a similar set of players then we have no chance of getting into the UEFA cup group stages. If however we have a proper experienced football manager who has sole charge of binning many of the current imposters, getting more from the players we know have something to offer and bringing in his own guys then I think it would be a positive thing to have a pre season based around advancing in the Intertoto and at least putting up a fight to qualify for the UEFA Cup groups.

So, I suppose what I am saying is it's only a worthwhile exercise if the bigger picture changes and the promises of a British manager come to fruition well in advance of the end of the season.

Ogi fae Gorgie
As I said at the time, more to do with Malofeev than anything else.

I can see why you think that, not saying that I don't agree with your reason for us being sh*te.

Sampdoria, Hamburg, Athletico Madrid, Lens, Blackburn.....Just a few of the clubs that 'lowered' themselves..

Hobos. Let's not sink to their level. :sad:

Likelihood of progressing?

If the tournament is still regionalised the 2nd round opposition will be a 4th place finisher from somewhere like Latvia, Lithuania or Finland. I would say Hearts would have an 80% chance of progressing.

The 3rd round opposition would probably be a 4th or 5th placed finisher from Norway, Denmark or Sweden. I reckon Hearts would have about a 60% chance of progressing.

Therefore it's a 50/50 shot IMO.

Likelihood of progressing?

If the tournament is still regionalised the 2nd round opposition will be a 4th place finisher from somewhere like Latvia, Lithuania or Finland. I would say Hearts would have an 80% chance of progressing.

The 3rd round opposition would probably be a 4th or 5th placed finisher from Norway, Denmark or Sweden. I reckon Hearts would have about a 60% chance of progressing.

Therefore it's a 50/50 shot IMO.

Presumably we would then have a couple of actual UEFA Cup qualifiers as well ?? Unless there is a massive upheaval it's going to be a hell of a difficult to get past a Braga or similar.

Dean Winchester
Presumably we would then have a couple of actual UEFA Cup qualifiers as well ?? Unless there is a massive upheaval it's going to be a hell of a difficult to get past a Braga or similar.

It'd put us into the 3rd round of qualifying

Surly the new manager should be making the decision to enter or not. New players new setup. Think we should just survive this season and start again.

ArmiyaRomanova
In my opinion if we have no manager and a similar set of players then we have no chance of getting into the UEFA cup group stages. If however we have a proper experienced football manager who has sole charge of binning many of the current imposters, getting more from the players we know have something to offer and bringing in his own guys then I think it would be a positive thing to have a pre season based around advancing in the Intertoto and at least putting up a fight to qualify for the UEFA Cup groups.

So, I suppose what I am saying is it's only a worthwhile exercise if the bigger picture changes and the promises of a British manager come to fruition well in advance of the end of the season.

Appreciate what you're saying - but for me it's a worthwhile experience regardless.

One thing though - if I recall rightly, we've not been promised a British manager - but a manager with experience of the game in Britain. Could be quite different.

We have to decide pretty soon whether to enter. I doubt we'll have a manager in place by then. If we pull out then I believe we get penalised by UEFA.

I think we should give it a go.

Appreciate what you're saying - but for me it's a worthwhile experience regardless.

One thing though - if I recall rightly, we've not been promised a British manager - but a manager with experience of the game in Britain. Could be quite different.

Yep, ok I'll go with that. The mind boggles !!

Will the new squad even be in place in time given that the current one will be sold in the summer?

Do you reckon Mallowthief will have us ready in time though?

Fitness will be important! :)

If he can get them doing a 100m egg and spoon race by then we'll be fine.

We would go into the 2nd qualifying round against similar opposition to those that have beaten Dunfermline Athletic (twice), Dundee United and Gretna in the last four seasons. I would like to think we wouldn't make the same mistake, but who knows?

If we got through that tie there is a decent chance we would be seeded in round 1 and avoid the big guns.

I agree with you that unless the playing/managing side is sorted the chances of making the group stage is very unlikely. If it IS sorted we have a chance. This is all speculation anyway because I don't think we'll finish high enough in the league for any kind of European football.

If via the diddy eurovision joke we get a UEFA tie against a decent sized Spanish club... I take it no one will be going then?

Yes it's a joke. Yes it's embarrassing. But then supporting Hearts has taught us a lot about that over the last two years.

Zali Cinnamon
Agreed. If we ain't good enough to qualify through the league, there's little point embarrassing ourselves further entering the interdiddy cup.

Just like Blackburn, Hamburg, Lens, Sampdoria, Atletico Madrid and others embarrased themselves by doing last summer?

Competitive games are more worthwhile preparation than doing what Aberdeen, Falkirk etc do and playing friendlies Dutch pub teams and winning 18-0.

I really don't see the problem with entering the intertoto, i'm sure in holland it is actually taken up in the league by the next team that finishes outside uefa spots and they are very happy to do it.

It is competitive european football or do we really have so many tickets on ourselves that we'll only play if it's big teams in it....look how well we did in the champions league, at this stage I think intertoto is about our level and we should be champing at the bit to get a chance to play against potentially worthwhile opposition rather than dossing about!!:1022:

It seems to be only the UK teams that think they are to good for the Intertoto, much the same as they thought of the original European Cup. Only Hibs lowered themselves to play in that one as well. :whistling:

I'm all for it personally. In countries like Germany it is entered by league placing an teams strive to get up the league because of the potential to make money.

good potential for a trip to a shady eastern european country for the gorgie boys

lets hope we would not do a hobo(its official name) and get pumped by a diddy team

that defeat nearley tarnished there europe wide reputation for being the purveyors of total football

and the first to do everything in football floodlights etc etc

Drylaw Hearts

Give the Inter-Toto a miss.

Hopefully there will be a new Manager in place by then and I say he should have as much time as possible to prepare for the Domestic Season rather than have the heavy burden of trying to qualify for the UEFA Cup outright, whilst attempting to assemble a decent squad.

Juventus have played in this in the past,

why not ! its not like we are too good to consider entering a tournament like this.

From my point of view the alternative is worse- almost 3 years without european football

just when you think we have exhausted all the ways of making a james hunt of ourselves we pull another rabbit out the hat..........feck me i despair :eek:

you either have a good enough squad to qualify for europe over the season or you dont...........

We have qualified as cup runners up without having a 'good enough' squad before but I didn't complain then. I didn't hear many others complain either.

We have qualified as cup runners up without having a 'good enough' squad before but I didn't complain then. I didn't hear many others complain either.

run with the inter toto cup then if you feel good about it................................

good evening :wavey:

Archived