black music

eddie fenwick

eddie fenwick

was all music(other than punk)influenced by black music,the reason i ask is there was a thing on talk 1089 a while back and no-one could think anything otherwise

So you wake up in the morning and the first thing you think of is "black music" ?

No work today boss ? :)

Of course there was a big link in London between the punk and reggae scenes, especially the Clash who even covered several reggae tracks.

And though I hate myself for saying it prog rock took a lot of its pointers from classical music.

ToadKiller Dog

Wayne Kramer from MC5 thought to be the first punk band states "The influences were all blended together...a Detroit sound... Motown R&B, and white rock guitar of the Who and the Yardbirds."

'Black American Gospel' music is alleged to have been influenced by Scots Gaelic religious song.

So following the logic that modern music is black influenced, and the black music had Scots influence, then all modern music is Scottish.

Yet another one to add to the list.

Snake Plissken
Wasn't Rock 'n' Roll a hybrid of country/bluegrass and gospel/blues?

So "white" music has influenced as much as "black"...

Quite right.

Was about to post the same thing.

i am still more worried about eddie getting up at 0544 hours and feeling the need to go on to kickback and ask a question about black music

I would say electronica is not black music.

The industrial and 80's electronic stuff came from band like Kraftwerk.

eddie fenwick
So you wake up in the morning and the first thing you think of is "black music" ?

No work today boss ? :)

plenty:cool:

i am still more worried about eddie getting up at 0544 hours and feeling the need to go on to kickback and ask a question about black music

I was up at the same time. I read Eddies post and thought it would have interesting comments during the day.

I did also wonder wonder what he had been dreaming about all night.

eddie fenwick
I was up at the same time. I read Eddies post and thought it would have interesting comments during the day.

I did also wonder wonder what he had been dreaming about all night.

aretha franklin?

A Boy Named Crow

It's a well known fact that after Johan Strauss completed the Blue Danube we went out with his homies to get them some ho' ass lovin':1022:

was all music(other than punk)influenced by black music,the reason i ask is there was a thing on talk 1089 a while back and no-one could think anything otherwise

If you're talking jazz, blues and gospel, it's a bit naive to call it "black music" - there are many other genres amongst African, South American, Carribbean etc. cultures. Also, Blues and Jazz are not genres necessarily associated nowadays soley with "Black" artists.

There is almost nothing around, though - certainly in popular music - that doesn't draw something from blues. The standard rock band line up is basically a blues rhythm section. A whole load of lead guitar licks are based around a blues scale.

Certain sub-genres of electronic music (mainly the ones that don't produce mindless "ned beatz") often draw on samples from old jazz records, (Check out "Channel One Suite" by The Cinematic Orchestra - from the Buddy Rich Big Band tune of the same name - The original is awesome, too). Christina Aguilera also sampled a tune called "Hippy Skippy Moon Street" by the Moon People for "Ain't No Other Man" last year. The list is fecking endless. So I'll stop there.

If you're talking jazz, blues and gospel, it's a bit naive to call it "black music" - there are many other genres amongst African, South American, Carribbean etc. cultures.

There is, though, almost nothing around, though - certainly in popular music - that doesn't draw something from blues. The standard rock band line up is basically a blues rhythm section. A whole load of lead guitar licks are based around a blues scale.

Certain sub-genres of electronic music (mainly the ones that don't produce mindless "ned beatz") often draw on samples from old jazz records, (Check out "Channel One Suite" by The Cinematic Orchestra - from the Buddy Rich Big Band tune of the same name - The original is awesome, too). Christina Aguilera also sampled a tune called "Hippy Skippy Moon Street" by the Moon People for "Ain't No Other Man" last year. The list is fecking endless. So I'll stop there.

There's plenty of electronic artists that do use jazz as a basis to their sound. Guys like Laurent Garnier, Ian O'Brien, DJ Spooky, the Guru, Jazzanova etc But they are definitely in the minority.

There's plenty of electronic artists that do use jazz as a basis to their sound. Guys like Laurent Garnier, Ian O'Brien, DJ Spooky, the Guru, Jazzanova etc But they are definitely in the minority.

Jazzmatazz albums = genius. Especially the track with MC Solaar.

Jazzmatazz albums = genius. Especially the track with MC Solaar.

Brilliant, brilliant LP mate.

The Guru's beats are tremendous.

Brilliant, brilliant LP mate.

The Guru's beats are tremendous.

Makes a difference when that kind of album gets made by somebody that really knows his stuff inside out. The guy's a legend.

Are his beats as mental as Buddy's though?

Is black music when you hit the black keys on a piano and white music when you hit the white keys?

I only ask as I dont know what is black music and what is white music.

To me music is music regardless of the originator.

John

Is black music when you hit the black keys on a piano and white music when you hit the white keys?

I only ask as I dont know what is black music and what is white music.

To me music is music regardless of the originator.

John

Music of black origin.

ie born under the influence of soul, jazz, dub, reggae, dancehall and blues. Other types of music of black origin are hip-hop, techno and jungle / dnb.

Music of black origin.

ie born under the influence of soul, jazz, dub, reggae, dancehall and blues. Other types of music of black origin are hip-hop, techno and jungle / dnb.

How old is music?

Perharps soul, jazz was influenced by something that has not been mentioned as yet.

I recall watching a documentary on BBC3/4 where a good argument was put forward that soul, jazz gospel etc etc was influenced by Western Islanders who had emigrated/been cleared to states in the southern USA.

John

How old is music?

Perharps soul, jazz was influenced by something that has not been mentioned as yet.

I recall watching a documentary on BBC3/4 where a good argument was put forward that soul, jazz gospel etc etc was influenced by Western Islanders who had emigrated/been cleared to states in the southern USA.

John

That's a fair point.

Blues was born from ***** work / penetentiary songs for example.

I would say electronica is not black music.

The industrial and 80's electronic stuff came from band like Kraftwerk.

80s electronica evolved out of disco and funk, which is black music.

80s electronica evolved out of disco and funk, which is black music.

That all depends what you define as electronic music. I would say that a lot of 80 electronic music is influenced by Kraftwerk who came from the more intellectual side of it and were influenced by people like Stockhausen.

Archived