In defence of Craig Levein

Pants Shaton

Every time his name is mentioned in connection with the Hearts job, a concerted character assassination and rewriting of history seems to take place. I’m not going to portray Levein as a saintly figure, he is human and, like any other normal human, his main responsibility is to himself and his family. Anyone claiming otherwise, and especially those who claim loyalty to a football club should take preference, needs to take a good look in the mirror. It’s easy to claim that you’d never leave Hearts if that situation is never likely to present itself.

Does anyone believe the established recent ‘legends’ of our club, Robertson and Mackay, would have remained at Hearts if the Old Firm had offered to triple their salaries? Had they left would they be considered legends now? I don’t want to belittle the achievements of players who achieved, respectively, goal scoring and appearance records for Hearts, but rather the concept of a football legend. How much of their revered status do they owe to virtue, selflessness or loyalty and how much simply reflects opportunity and circumstance? For me, Levein is every bit as much a legend as Robertson and Mackay and, had it not been for injury, the most able player. Of those three, only one openly touted himself for the manager’s post at Hibernian (it wasn’t Levein), thankfully he was unsuccessful.

Most Hearts supporters wouldn’t question Craig’s status as a great Hearts player. Sadly some still seem to apportion some of the blame for Dens Park at his door. Who knows what happened that day? The only person capable of answering that question is Levein himself. Whatever the reason he obviously felt his contribution would not benefit the club that day and ultimately that rests upon his conscience.

Appointing Craig Levein as manager was Robinson’s cheap option. However in a career defined by incompetence it turned out to be his best decision in years, probably owing more to fortune than good judgement. Levein arrested the decline that had set in under Jefferies and, in spite of yearly reductions in funds, managed to secure two consecutive third place finishes. His critics argue that we had the 3rd largest budget in Scottish football but, as bitter experience teaches us, that doesn’t automatically translate to success. The detractors argue that the football was appalling and the Hibs fans revelled in their ‘hoofball’ put-down (managing to neglect over decades of rank-rotten Hibs teams including the Alex Miller ‘glory’ years). The football was not pretty but we won: Tynecastle was a fortress. I would take that, and all my European trips, over their flair fallacy any day. Playing ugly is not Levein’s football philosophy; he’s a pragmatist who recognised how to play to the strengths of the squad. He instilled a spirit in the team which allowed us to win games after going behind (not something we’re used to seeing). He demonstrated the ability to alter tactics and make substitutions which turned games in our favour, rarely displayed by his predecessors or anyone since. There were undoubtedly mistakes – over-caution may have cost us against Bordeaux at Tynecastle or against Rangers in the League Cup Semi – but not many.

Some have doubted his sincerity as a ‘Hearts man’. I would direct them to his celebrations whenever we turned over the vermin. He may not have grown up as a Hearts fan (not unlike another of our legends) but in his 20 year association with the club, I reckon he forged as deep a link as any of us can claim with Hearts. Despite being manager of another SPL team he has never hidden his affection for Heart of Midlothian.

What about the way he abandoned Hearts at a crucial time and plundered our best players? Keeping in mind he had never hidden his ambition to manage in England, it was hardly surprising that he’d seize the opportunity to manage a Championship club. Romanov was poised to become involved with Hearts and had discussions with Levein; it may have been clear that their working relationship was unlikely to last (hindsight confirms this). There were well documented personal reasons for Levein wanting to leave Scotland; some claim these were his most pressing concern. Does the promise of more money, managing in England, leaving an uncertain future at Hearts and making a fresh start seem unreasonable grounds for leaving? Did he leave at a crucial time? Were we really likely to qualify from our UEFA group having punched above our weight to get there? Would our better players not have moved on anyway?

But he was a failure at Leicester! What was he ever likely to achieve in one of the world’s most competitive leagues whilst being asked to slash costs? That argument carries as much weight as those who claim George Burley was ‘found out’ at Southampton. He has certainly gone some way to restoring his reputation at Dundee United and, as always, conducts himself in an assured and professional manner.

“The manager, who will have full responsibility for team selection, will be an experienced football manager and will preferably have experience of management in British football.”

Craig Levein is that man (and a Hearts man to boot).

CONFLICT OF INTERESTS: None. I'm not Craig Levein, a family member or friend. I've never spoken to the guy.

The facts are clear. No amount of wordy protestations can change that. He deserted us on the eve of one of the biggest games in our history. Sad, but true.

Every time his name is mentioned in connection with the Hearts job, a concerted character assassination and rewriting of history seems to take place. I?m not going to portray Levein as a saintly figure, he is human and, like any other normal human, his main responsibility is to himself and his family. Anyone claiming otherwise, and especially those who claim loyalty to a football club should take preference, needs to take a good look in the mirror. It?s easy to claim that you?d never leave Hearts if that situation is never likely to present itself.

Does anyone believe the established recent ?legends? of our club, Robertson and Mackay, would have remained at Hearts if the Old Firm had offered to triple their salaries? Had they left would they be considered legends now? I don?t want to belittle the achievements of players who achieved, respectively, goal scoring and appearance records for Hearts, but rather the concept of a football legend. How much of their revered status do they owe to virtue, selflessness or loyalty and how much simply reflects opportunity and circumstance? For me, Levein is every bit as much a legend as Robertson and Mackay and, had it not been for injury, the most able player. Of those three, only one openly touted himself for the manager?s post at Hibernian (it wasn?t Levein), thankfully he was unsuccessful.

Most Hearts supporters wouldn?t question Craig?s status as a great Hearts player. Sadly some still seem to apportion some of the blame for Dens Park at his door. Who knows what happened that day? The only person capable of answering that question is Levein himself. Whatever the reason he obviously felt his contribution would not benefit the club that day and ultimately that rests upon his conscience.

Appointing Craig Levein as manager was Robinson?s cheap option. However in a career defined by incompetence it turned out to be his best decision in years, probably owing more to fortune than good judgement. Levein arrested the decline that had set in under Jefferies and, in spite of yearly reductions in funds, managed to secure two consecutive third place finishes. His critics argue that we had the 3rd largest budget in Scottish football but, as bitter experience teaches us, that doesn?t automatically translate to success. The detractors argue that the football was appalling and the Hibs fans revelled in their ?hoofball? put-down (managing to neglect over decades of rank-rotten Hibs teams including the Alex Miller ?glory? years). The football was not pretty but we won: Tynecastle was a fortress. I would take that, and all my European trips, over their flair fallacy any day. Playing ugly is not Levein?s football philosophy; he?s a pragmatist who recognised how to play to the strengths of the squad. He instilled a spirit in the team which allowed us to win games after going behind (not something we?re used to seeing). He demonstrated the ability to alter tactics and make substitutions which turned games in our favour, rarely displayed by his predecessors or anyone since. There were undoubtedly mistakes ? over-caution may have cost us against Bordeaux at Tynecastle or against Rangers in the League Cup Semi ? but not many.

Some have doubted his sincerity as a ?Hearts man?. I would direct them to his celebrations whenever we turned over the vermin. He may not have grown up as a Hearts fan (not unlike another of our legends) but in his 20 year association with the club, I reckon he forged as deep a link as any of us can claim with Hearts. Despite being manager of another SPL team he has never hidden his affection for Heart of Midlothian.

What about the way he abandoned Hearts at a crucial time and plundered our best players? Keeping in mind he had never hidden his ambition to manage in England, it was hardly surprising that he?d seize the opportunity to manage a Championship club. Romanov was poised to become involved with Hearts and had discussions with Levein; it may have been clear that their working relationship was unlikely to last (hindsight confirms this). There were well documented personal reasons for Levein wanting to leave Scotland; some claim these were his most pressing concern. Does the promise of more money, managing in England, leaving an uncertain future at Hearts and making a fresh start seem unreasonable grounds for leaving? Did he leave at a crucial time? Were we really likely to qualify from our UEFA group having punched above our weight to get there? Would our better players not have moved on anyway?

But he was a failure at Leicester! What was he ever likely to achieve in one of the world?s most competitive leagues whilst being asked to slash costs? That argument carries as much weight as those who claim George Burley was ?found out? at Southampton. He has certainly gone some way to restoring his reputation at Dundee United and, as always, conducts himself in an assured and professional manner.

?The manager, who will have full responsibility for team selection, will be an experienced football manager and will preferably have experience of management in British football.?

CONFLICT OF INTERESTS: None. I'm not Craig Levein, a family member or friend. I've never spoken to the guy.

Quality post.

The facts are clear. No amount of wordy protestations can change that. He deserted us on the eve of one of the biggest games in our history. Sad, but true.

He did indeed depart on the eve of a game.

Dundee at home.

I didn't know it was that big a deal!

Also, if you believe certain sections of the support, he left because of Romanov.

Victor Meldrew

Craig did a good job for us as both a player and a manager. That, in my opinion, cannot be denied.

However, what is inescapable is the fact he jumped ship during one of our most important European campaigns and then came back to nick players.

I'd have expected a bit more loyalty from a supposed 'Hearts Man'. But then maybe I'm just old-fashioned.

He was a fantastic player and but for the injuries could have been really top class.

He was a reasonable manager at Hearts. I didn't like the way he acted towards the SFA and the way he segregated his players into favourites and non-persons. He didn't see cuts to the wage bill year after year - the big budget presented to him meant he could sign players every year (at a time when many clubs in the league were in administration). His record in the league was decent on the whole, had one good result against Braga and was poor in the domestic cups.

I was glad to see him fail at Leicester where he failed miserably.

He has done a decent job at United, but in reality his team there was Robson plus 10 others. It will be interesting to see what happens now with Robson away.

All said though he is clearly a better manager than anything we have had since Rix.

He was a fantastic player and but for the injuries could have been really top class.

He was a reasonable manager at Hearts. I didn't like the way he acted towards the SFA and the way he segregated his players into favourites and non-persons. He didn't see cuts to the wage bill year after year - the big budget presented to him meant he could sign players every year (at a time when many clubs in the league were in administration). His record in the league was decent on the whole, had one good result against Braga and was poor in the domestic cups.

He has done a decent job at United, but in reality his team there was Robson plus 10 others. It will be interesting to see what happens now with Robson away.

All said though he is clearly a better manager than anything we have had since Rix.[/QUOTE]

Since Burley surely!

Good post GMAN. A couple of years ago I'm not sure I would have been too enamoured at the thought of CL being our manager in the near future, not because he left us before, but because I wouldn't have considered it a sign of progress.

However, a lot has changed in a couple of years and at the moment I'd say he's exactly the type of manager we need. He'll come in and stamp his authority on the place, sort out the defence (which has admittedly improved with Karipidis playing) and get us playing to whatever our strengths are! He may not be the man to have us splitting the OF, but as BB said in his earlier thread, what we need just now is to be the best of the rest. IMO what he has achieved at Dundee United has shown CL could get us there. If we do get to that stage CL should get a chance to take us further and if he doesn't we could look to bringing someone else in.

Considering clubs are always looking to bring someone better in, either players or managers, I don't think we can hold it against CL for looking for something better as GMAN suggested.

I'd take him in a heartbeat tbh. Even in 05/06 Tynecastle didn't have the same "fortress" feel about it that it did in the CL era.

He was a reasonable manager at Hearts. I didn't like the way he acted towards the SFA and the way he segregated his players into favourites and non-persons. He didn't see cuts to the wage bill year after year - the big budget presented to him meant he could sign players every year (at a time when many clubs in the league were in administration). His record in the league was decent on the whole' date=' had one good result against Braga and was poor in the domestic cups.

All said though he is clearly a better manager than anything we have had since [b']Rix.[/[/b]QUOTE]

Since Burley surely!

Yes I thought about putting Burley. Until Rix was forced by Romanov to change the team he was doing the sort of job Levein used to - away draws, home wins, hammering the Hibs etc.

Good post, G'man.

I don't believe for one second that Levein wasn't ill on the morning of May 3rd 1986.

If anyone here has ever had 'proper' flu then you'll know what I mean (and I don't mean 'man' flu).

Re Robbo: I remember him saying (Nov 94, on the back of the McLaren sale) that he'd join either of the Old Firm "in a minute" if they'd came in for him.

I was gutted when Levein left us, but that's just the way football is.

Players, manager, heroes come and go: only the fans remain loyal.

Re the Hearts job: my personal preference would be Mark McGhee, but I'd be delighted if Levein came back.

Buffalo Bill

Yes I thought about putting Burley. Until Rix was forced by Romanov to change the team he was doing the sort of job Levein used to - away draws' date=' home wins, hammering the Hibs etc.[/quote']

Agreed but with Burley's team

The guy is a legend who in his own words 'will always be a Hearts man'.

He left for a better job with better pay. What a sin.

Dundee at home.

Also, if you believe certain sections of the support, he left because of Romanov.

Which we won 3-0 IIRC

Good post, G'man.

I don't believe for one second that Levein wasn't ill on the morning of May 3rd 1986.

Nor do I. Can you imagine the scenario?

"Right, I could go to Dens Park and be part of a Hearts team that will go down in history. I could participate in the culmination of a fantastic season and be part of the most amazing celebrations. But no, I've got a wee chill so I don't think I'll bother."

Does not compute.

Charlie-Brown

Craig Levein was a terrific player & captain for Hearts.

He was also a very good manager for Hearts and had 2 very good SPL seasons in years 3 & 4 and 2 great victories in the UEFA Cup at Bordeaux & Braga at Murrayfield but his domestic cup record was disappointing.

One thing people forget is that he was the cheap option , raw & inexperienced when he was appointed as manager - in some ways as raw as Frail is now and in his first couple of seasons where he got respectable but not great 5th place finishes he made plenty of mistakes BUT he was given time to improve things both from the fans and the Board and he gradually built a very useful SPL team and got the rewards in his 3rd & 4th season.

He probably left at the right time for him not necessarily for us...... he's a much better & more experienced manager now than he was when he was at Hearts & especially than he was in the period 2001 & 2002.

scott herbertson

I am firmly in the Levein's the man camp.

Apart from his football record, which is good, he deals with Chairmen, the media, player discipline etc very well. These are all areas where we desperately need to improve

I am firmly in the Levein's the man camp.

Apart from his football record, which is good, he deals with Chairmen, the media, player discipline etc very well. These are all areas where we desperately need to improve

He is intelligent.

VR doesn't want someone like that. Hence Frail.

The guy is a legend who in his own words 'will always be a Hearts man'.

He left for a better job with better pay. What a sin.

Leicester!

What job would he not leave us for if Leicester is such a great move?

gorgie rd eh11

He was a class player and is turning into a quality manager/coach. I would welcome him home with open arms, both for his management skills and to be 100% sure who was picking the team and deciding what system was used. No one would tell Craig who or how to play.

I just don't buy the 'He left us in the lurch during one of our biggest European campaigns' argument.

We had punched above our weight getting into the group stages.

If we had qualified for the next round we would certainly have been eliminated.

One less game - big deal.

As for the players he 'stole' from Hearts - an inconsistent, injury prone striker and a full-back who, most on here, claim isn't any better than Neilson - big deal.

Those are the facts.

john brownlee

Away and lie doon and try to get over it. He's left and with a bit of luck he wont be coming back.

regurgitated threads are a waste of time

:5643::5643::5643::5643:

CornhillHearts

Craig Levein love in time why? He is staying put until another English club tries a few years down the line if he continues the improvement in D Utd, our League is a joke and best we can hope for are Davies, McGhee or JJ.

Dr Ian Malcolm

Not saying he wouldn't want the job, but can't see him leaving unttil Eddie Thompson isn't there any more (might be a bit morbid but unfotunately could happen).

torino calcio

One of the things that impressed me about him was that when he took the job he said that it wouldn't be until his third season in charge that he would have the players in place that he wanted and it would be then that the overall standing of the team would improve. That obviously proved to be the case.

The return leg against Bordeaux - that was a big disapointment, but I remember him being interviewed after the game seeming genuinely unsure if he had approached the game in the right way. The problem was his inexperience of managing at that level and I think that one of the reasons that he has been more of an instant success at Dundee United is due to the fact that he is now a more experienced manager.

He "failed" at Leicester, but so many other managers have failed in that League at clubs who think that they have some divine right to be in the Premiership - George Burley and Mark McGhee being good examples.

All said though he is clearly a better manager than anything we have had since Rix.

Have to disagree with your comment about the wage bill. Levein certainly did sign players, but over his first two seasons as manager the wage bill was cut considerably if I remember the stats correctly. He punted on quite a few big earners and most of those he brought in were much lower paid. So his achievements were very admirable at Hearts.

Excellent opening post by the way - the frustrating thing about CL is that I don't we ever really got to see how good a manager he could have been for us. He did leave at a bad time but was that not for personal reasons? If so then we just need to respect that.

Would still have him back...

eddie fenwick

Dundee at home.

my mates a good mate of cl(hes been sitting on my couch when cl called to arrange a game of golf)he hasnt got a bad word to say about vlad,infact all he could do was praise him

Have to disagree with your comment about the wage bill. Levein certainly did sign players, but over his first two seasons as manager the wage bill was cut considerably if I remember the stats correctly. He punted on quite a few big earners and most of those he brought in were much lower paid. So his achievements were very admirable at Hearts.

Excellent opening post by the way - the frustrating thing about CL is that I don't we ever really got to see how good a manager he could have been for us. He did leave at a bad time but was that not for personal reasons? If so then we just need to respect that.

Would still have him back...

What also frustrates me is how little it takes for the fans to idolise any nomad who kisses the badge. Whereas the names of genuine Hearts men, like Levein and Gordon, rarely rang out around Tynecastle.

I've posted my case for Levein numerous times and ripped to shreds the arguments regarding defensive football, leaving us in the lurch and failure to reduce the wage bill, all of which are partisan lies from those who have some sort of personal agenda with CL.

There is no better candidate either better or attainable for Heart of Midlothian football club. It will be a truly great day should he ever return.

Leicester!

He gave a well-reasoned answer to that one. He once said that no way was he going to be offered the Man U or Chelsea job, or even someone consolidated in the Premiership, such as Bolton or Man City. So his best bet, as he saw it, was to go for a quality Championship team tat had a realistic chance of promotion.

Of course, once he arrived there, he found that they were skint and went on a grand cost saving exercise.

I suppose I'm a Levein man, myself!

I've never heard anyone cast doubt on his contribution to that day in Dundee 86. Anyone who thinks that Levein would forfeit the chance of being on the pitch that day of all days really needs their head examined.

Also, it's good to see that the Chelsea fans are generally opposed to him. That puts him up even further in my estimation. I'd love him to return.

Snake Plissken

The fact you feel it is necessary to defend Craig Levein shows how stupid some of the posters on here really are.

Anyone who does not think Levein was/is a good manager is a moron.

Let's just imagine that he never managed Hearts but say, (spit! spit!) the Dons and achieved with them what he did at Hearts -

so, NO previous management with Hearts!

His career then followed the course it has!

He's at Dundee Utd!!!

If, on that basis, you said you did not want Levein, I wouldn't believe that you've applied the "rules" of this little scenario and are still prejudiced because of what you see as his betrayal in leaving Hearts when he did -

or,

You're stark raving bonkers!!!

Based on the above, we would all jump at the chance of him being Hearts manager!!!

Leicester!

Yes, he went to Leicester: what a shocker. Y'know: a club that had been in the Prem only eighteen months previously, and achieved remarkable things under Martin O'Neill. Meanwhile, at Hearts, he'd had to put up with the wage bill being cut every year (though I take Coco's point that it was never as swingeing as it surely should have been), mounting off-field instability (against which the 3rd spot with 68 points that he achieved in 03/4 was, frankly, incredible), and with Romanov not yet installed, no guarantee that it wasn't about to get an awful lot worse. In sum, he'd taken us as far as he could: Levein was the right man for austere times, but had every right in the book to move on and try and make a name for himself down south.

When JJ left, I feared things would get a lot worse before they got better: that they didn't is down to Levein's excellent management, bringing through young players and essentially overachieving. It didn't work out at Leicester for a variety of reaons (no money, boardroom instability and a complete lack of patience being most of them), so now he's again showing what he can do at Dundee United. To be honest, I don't expect him to leave Tannadice for many years: he's very happy there, and it's not at all clear where he could go anyway. But it defies belief that anyone could slag off someone who was not only one of the best Hearts players of my lifetime, and not only did a brilliant job for us as manager, but has a deep, intrinsic connection with and love of the club.

Yet sure enough, on you plough regardless - which can only lead me to conclude that it's not Levein who has the problem. It's you.

Change the f ecking record please.

It's called 'ambition'.

I don't think that Craig Levein has ever needed help defending himself as a manager or his teams goal.

His record speaks for itself, that and the stark fact that he has a cup final to go to and is third whilst we languish in the bottom six.

Not saying he wouldn't want the job, but can't see him leaving unttil Eddie Thompson isn't there any more (might be a bit morbid but unfotunately could happen).

Levein would up sticks the day before the final if any tinpot championship club came in for him. He has previous. :(

Every time his name is mentioned in connection with the Hearts job, a concerted character assassination and rewriting of history seems to take place. I?m not going to portray Levein as a saintly figure, he is human and, like any other normal human, his main responsibility is to himself and his family. Anyone claiming otherwise, and especially those who claim loyalty to a football club should take preference, needs to take a good look in the mirror. It?s easy to claim that you?d never leave Hearts if that situation is never likely to present itself.

Does anyone believe the established recent ?legends? of our club, Robertson and Mackay, would have remained at Hearts if the Old Firm had offered to triple their salaries? Had they left would they be considered legends now? I don?t want to belittle the achievements of players who achieved, respectively, goal scoring and appearance records for Hearts, but rather the concept of a football legend. How much of their revered status do they owe to virtue, selflessness or loyalty and how much simply reflects opportunity and circumstance? For me, Levein is every bit as much a legend as Robertson and Mackay and, had it not been for injury, the most able player. Of those three, only one openly touted himself for the manager?s post at Hibernian (it wasn?t Levein), thankfully he was unsuccessful.

Most Hearts supporters wouldn?t question Craig?s status as a great Hearts player. Sadly some still seem to apportion some of the blame for Dens Park at his door. Who knows what happened that day? The only person capable of answering that question is Levein himself. Whatever the reason he obviously felt his contribution would not benefit the club that day and ultimately that rests upon his conscience.

Appointing Craig Levein as manager was Robinson?s cheap option. However in a career defined by incompetence it turned out to be his best decision in years, probably owing more to fortune than good judgement. Levein arrested the decline that had set in under Jefferies and, in spite of yearly reductions in funds, managed to secure two consecutive third place finishes. His critics argue that we had the 3rd largest budget in Scottish football but, as bitter experience teaches us, that doesn?t automatically translate to success. The detractors argue that the football was appalling and the Hibs fans revelled in their ?hoofball? put-down (managing to neglect over decades of rank-rotten Hibs teams including the Alex Miller ?glory? years). The football was not pretty but we won: Tynecastle was a fortress. I would take that, and all my European trips, over their flair fallacy any day. Playing ugly is not Levein?s football philosophy; he?s a pragmatist who recognised how to play to the strengths of the squad. He instilled a spirit in the team which allowed us to win games after going behind (not something we?re used to seeing). He demonstrated the ability to alter tactics and make substitutions which turned games in our favour, rarely displayed by his predecessors or anyone since. There were undoubtedly mistakes ? over-caution may have cost us against Bordeaux at Tynecastle or against Rangers in the League Cup Semi ? but not many.

Some have doubted his sincerity as a ?Hearts man?. I would direct them to his celebrations whenever we turned over the vermin. He may not have grown up as a Hearts fan (not unlike another of our legends) but in his 20 year association with the club, I reckon he forged as deep a link as any of us can claim with Hearts. Despite being manager of another SPL team he has never hidden his affection for Heart of Midlothian.

What about the way he abandoned Hearts at a crucial time and plundered our best players? Keeping in mind he had never hidden his ambition to manage in England, it was hardly surprising that he?d seize the opportunity to manage a Championship club. Romanov was poised to become involved with Hearts and had discussions with Levein; it may have been clear that their working relationship was unlikely to last (hindsight confirms this). There were well documented personal reasons for Levein wanting to leave Scotland; some claim these were his most pressing concern. Does the promise of more money, managing in England, leaving an uncertain future at Hearts and making a fresh start seem unreasonable grounds for leaving? Did he leave at a crucial time? Were we really likely to qualify from our UEFA group having punched above our weight to get there? Would our better players not have moved on anyway?

But he was a failure at Leicester! What was he ever likely to achieve in one of the world?s most competitive leagues whilst being asked to slash costs? That argument carries as much weight as those who claim George Burley was ?found out? at Southampton. He has certainly gone some way to restoring his reputation at Dundee United and, as always, conducts himself in an assured and professional manner.

?The manager, who will have full responsibility for team selection, will be an experienced football manager and will preferably have experience of management in British football.?

What a top post GMAN. Craig Levein is and always will be a Jambo legend. Would be superb to see him back here. :)

Away and lie doon and try to get over it. He's left and with a bit of luck he wont be coming back.

regurgitated threads are a waste of time

:5643::5643::5643::5643:

S ucking up to Vlads a waste of time also.........:eek:

Wouldnt diss Levien myself everyone has a right to their own opinion... just a shame some people dont have their own tho.

Horatio Caine
Yes, he went to Leicester: what a shocker. Y'know: a club that had been in the Prem only eighteen months previously, and achieved remarkable things under Martin O'Neill. Meanwhile, at Hearts, he'd had to put up with the wage bill being cut every year (though I take Coco's point that it was never as swingeing as it surely should have been), mounting off-field instability (against which the 3rd spot with 68 points that he achieved in 03/4 was, frankly, incredible), and with Romanov not yet installed, no guarantee that it wasn't about to get an awful lot worse. In sum, he'd taken us as far as he could: Levein was the right man for austere times, but had every right in the book to move on and try and make a name for himself down south.

When JJ left, I feared things would get a lot worse before they got better: that they didn't is down to Levein's excellent management, bringing through young players and essentially overachieving. It didn't work out at Leicester for a variety of reaons (no money, boardroom instability and a complete lack of patience being most of them), so now he's again showing what he can do at Dundee United. To be honest, I don't expect him to leave Tannadice for many years: he's very happy there, and it's not at all clear where he could go anyway. But it defies belief that anyone could slag off someone who was not only one of the best Hearts players of my lifetime, and not only did a brilliant job for us as manager, but has a deep, intrinsic connection with and love of the club.

Yet sure enough, on you plough regardless - which can only lead me to conclude that it's not Levein who has the problem. It's you.

Absolutely spot on Shaun. I wish everyone would get off CL's case.

Levein is a Hearts Man - I know for a fact that when he talks about Hearts he does so using the reference "we"......

My personal opinion is that if it weren't for Eddie Thomson's poor health and Levie'ns great respect for him, big Craig would probably be kicking down Vlad's door to get the Hearts job as we speak.

For me Levien did well as Hearts manager in the face of financial adversity - he made and continues to make, the best use of the footballing assets at his disposal. yes, the football wasnt always great but he knew how to get the best out of the team and for me seeing Hearts win comes first, nice football is preferable but still comes second.

I think he has a tactical nous that has been sadly lacking in most of our recent managers bar Burley and I would have him back in a minute. He would have the team fit, organised, motivated and he would only have players in there prepared to fight for the jersey. And most important of all for me at this moment in Hearts history - he wouldnt take any s**t from Vlad or anyone else for that matter.

If you dont back Levein for hearts I have serious reservations about your knowledge of football, Hearts and pretty much anything else.

Levein would up sticks the day before the final if any tinpot championship club came in for him. He has previous. :(

Good job you've shown us the way with your flawless existence.

I've posted my case for Levein numerous times and ripped to shreds the arguments regarding defensive football, leaving us in the lurch and failure to reduce the wage bill, all of which are partisan lies from those who have some sort of personal agenda with CL.

There is no better candidate either better or attainable for Heart of Midlothian football club. It will be a truly great day should he ever return.

"Ripped to shreds the arguments" - well bully for you Martin. :confused:

"Partisan lies" - what does that mean???:eek:

FACT - Levein employed defensive tactics.

FACT - Levein left us in the lurch immediately prior to a massive game.

FACT - Even with the reduction in the wage bill he still had the largest player budget outwith the OF.

"Ripped to shreds the arguments" - well bully for you Martin. :confused:

"Partisan lies" - what does that mean???:eek:

FACT - Levein employed defensive tactics. Granted that is a FACT. With the personnel available, that was the most successful strategy. It is easier to win playing defensively, with mediocre players, than to make an abortive attempt at 'flair' football.

FACT - Levein left us in the lurch immediately prior to a massive game. 'Massive game' is a subjective judgement not a FACT. Those UEFA group stage games were as far as we were likely to get. Even if we'd qualified we would have been eliminated in the next game. His absence wasn't noted when Robbo's team beat Basel.

FACT - Even with the reduction in the wage bill he still had the largest player budget outwith the OF.That is a FACT. We currently have the third biggest player budget in the SPL and struggle to beat teams like Hibs. The gap between Hearts and Aberdeen wasn't huge back then.

DuffJimmy1875

Levein is in my memory as one of the best all round defenders I had the misfoirtune of watching Hibs try to get past, and as a manager his teams are always hard to beat.

But what's this chat about deserting you guys at Dundee in 1986?? I was 1 at the time, so you'll excuse the ignorance!!!

Cheers

Archived