Bands you used to love..

Narrative Arc

Narrative Arc

name a band that you used to like but, when you hear them now, they just don't do it.

For me it's The Jam...

When i was 15 i thought they were tremendous. now when i think about them, i can only think of about 3 decent songs they've done...That's Enertainment...terrible song...

chester copperpot
name a band that you used to like but, when you hear them now, they just don't do it.

For me it's The Jam...

When i was 15 i thought they were tremendous. now when i think about them, i can only think of about 3 decent songs they've done...That's Enertainment...terrible song...

Hate to say it, but Oasis are like that for me now. Well I'm comparing their new stuff to old.

Still love their old still.

Transvision Vamp.... Wendy James used to do it for me away back then, went to see them about 6 times, listened to their music the other day i said what did i see in it lol young love/lust:p:p

For me it's The Jam...

Are you insane? I still listen to The Jam every day.

In answer to your original question it's Jesus Jones:nooo:

Same here. Loved their stuff when I was about 13, but it's just embarrasing now!

New Gold Dream still holds up as an Album as does other stuff (Chelsea Girl, Life in a Day, I travel, Film Theme, The American etc etc)

Rod, Jane & Freddie :1022:

Narrative Arc
The Guana Batz.

What the hell was I thinking about???

I went to see the Guana Batz twice!! Same as you. What was i thinking about? K-TEL more like BRU-TEL

Narrative Arc

i honestly struggle to think of 6 Jam songs that still do it! The Bitterest Pill??

Can you honestly defend that!

I went to see the Guana Batz twice!! Same as you. What was i thinking about? K-TEL more like BRU-TEL

Hehehe. Brilliant.

i honestly struggle to think of 6 Jam songs that still do it! The Bitterest Pill??

Can you honestly defend that!

The Bitterest Pill is one of my favourite Jam songs :(

Man in the Corner Shop being another.

Was a big fan of The Mission when they were at their (ahem) peak.

But I rapidly and irreversibly went off them. Haven't heard or played any of their stuff in at least 15 years I'd think. They're not even on my nostalgia list !

Oasis.

And The Jam still rule.

here here!!

the jam are the start of the mods!

oasis well there just plain and simply one of the biggest and best bands the uk has produced!!

if it wasn't for the jam would you have had an indie scene at all?

Radiohead, hated almost everything they have done since OK computer

does that include the new album?? its fantastic on par with ok computer and dare i say it the bends...:confused:

here here!!

No they weren't.

Yes.

No they weren't.

ok so who started the mods? and DONT say the who.....

Yes.

ill give you that one but it wouldn't have been anywhere near as big as it was in the mid 90's Paul weller alone brought through bands like O.C.S The Verve, Supergrass, Oasis

eddie fenwick

im the same,not much choice tho,i got my 8 year old into them,his pal faces are a picture when he start talkin about in the city,still my fave.prob one of the rawest songs ive ever heard

here here!!

oasis well there just plain and simply one of the biggest and best bands the uk has produced!!

No they wern't poor mans Small Faces also the early Who def start of the mods.

Oasis good but IMO way down the pecking order.

eddie fenwick
ill give you that one but it wouldn't have been anywhere near as big as it was in the mid 90's Paul weller alone brought through bands like O.C.S The Verve, Supergrass, Oasis

who started the mod movement?id say the young jew london boys of the late 50s

No they wern't poor mans Small Faces also the early Who def start of the mods.

Oasis good but IMO way down the pecking order.

can comment on the small faces cos i really don't like them :eek:

i know i really should be just cant get there sound!

No, sorry but I still disagree.

I'll give you OCS and a Weller link, but the other bands you mention made it under their own steam with influences going much further back than simplyThe Jam and Weller.

Not that I am being down on Weller. I like his stuff, but to suggest that other bands such as The Smiths, for example, were merely trailing in Weller's wake and didn;t influence other groups is misguided.

Read The Last Party by John Harris. I think you'd like it.

eddie fenwick

how you cant like them is beyond me,steve marriott r.i.p,still cant believe hes was white

Nothing wrong with that music is all about opinions and personal taste i am old enough to remember bands like them when i was a lad Steve Marriot a hero of mine as he is to Paul Weller.

who started the mod movement?id say the young jew london boys of the late 50s

Don't know about Jews, but deffo London. Think Absolute Beginners, Jazz etc

Georgie Fame in the early 60's.

You may be correct, but i think bands like the Small Faces, Who etc kind of brought it more into the public eye and kids picked up on the whole mod dress sense etc

eddie fenwick

a lot of jewish tailors around the smoke back then,there ofspring started picking and chosing stuff from their shops and going along to jazz clubs and coffee shops,thats the theory anyway

ToadKiller Dog

Yeah it came about with the rise of leisure time and spending money of young people after the rationing of the war years ,Agree with Boris that jazz was the original music of choice for mods in that era .

a lot of jewish tailors around the smoke back then,there ofspring started picking and chosing stuff from their shops and going along to jazz clubs and coffee shops,thats the theory anyway

I can buy that! Sounds plausible.

Have you read the Soul Stylists? It's by Paolo Hewitt and is a sort of history of Mods through to casuals (the 80's incarnation of mod). Quite a good read.

You may be correct, but i think bands like the Small Faces, Who etc kind of brought it more into the public eye and kids picked up on the whole mod dress sense etc

Oh indeed. Dare I say it went "mainstream"?

Apart from O.C.S.I'd put early Blur before any of the other three.

eddie fenwick
I can buy that! Sounds plausible.

Have you read the Soul Stylists? It's by Paolo Hewitt and is a sort of history of Mods through to casuals (the 80's incarnation of mod). Quite a good read.

no,kind of fell from anything going on for a while,will look out for it tho,btw how bad was most revival stuff:eek:

Anyone crying down The Jam is full of Tom Kite*

Good at the time sounds which can be forgotten now would include -

Japan

FRRRRRR (Doot Doot)

Bad Manners - everything

Specials - only Ghost Town

most Madness, My Girl still all time classic

*Alberit not listened since the first time around

Anyone crying down The Jam is full of Tom Kite*

Good at the time sounds which can be forgotten now would include -

Japan

FRRRRRR (Doot Doot)

Bad Manners - everything

Specials - only Ghost Town

most Madness, My Girl still all time classic

*Alberit not listened since the first time around

Oh and dont forget Delamitri ;-)

I loved The Specials as a youngster, now despite having the albums they seldom bother my turntable. However from the same era I still listen to The Beat on a regular basis.

Got to say Oasis since What's the Story bar a couple of good songs and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Used to love them both, now I don't bother a jot for them apart from the older stuff.

Archived