Medical/SOS jewelry

blairdin

Anybody wear it?

If so, would be interested to know where you got it. After years of being healthy, my epilepsy has flared up out of knowhere in the last few months so GP wants me to start wearing something for a few months until it settles down again.

It's pretty easy to buy online, but wonder if anywhere actually stocks it. Been to every jewellers and chemist in Falkirk and had no joy....

Don't tend to wear any type of jewellry so would like to see and try the necklace of bracelet before I buy/emgrave if possible.

My brother used to have a diabetic 'medallion' that he got direct from the Diabetic Association. I'd imagine the epileptic association (whatever it's called) would do something similar... if they've got a magazine, website or whatever I'd imagine they'd have adverts and details of shops that do them.

TBH, you could probably just get a jeweller to do it for you so you could select a better quality bracelet or what not... but I'd check that medical staff would know to look for one (ie they don't just look for medallions) otherwise it would kinda defeat the purpose.

My brother used to have a diabetic 'medallion' that he got direct from the Diabetic Association. I'd imagine the epileptic association (whatever it's called) would do something similar... if they've got a magazine, website or whatever I'd imagine they'd have adverts and details of shops that do them.

TBH, you could probably just get a jeweller to do it for you so you could select a better quality bracelet or what not... but I'd check that medical staff would know to look for one (ie they don't just look for medallions) otherwise it would kinda defeat the purpose.

Cheers Dave.

Can get them no hassle on line or through Enlighten or various other epilepsy associations. Being a fussy tosser, just wanted to try them on instead of ordering, collecting parcel, sending back, yadayadayada.

As far as I know, the medical bracelets are generally silver and some kind of Greek symbol engraved through them so medical staff spot them straight off.

Billy the Jambo

A company called MEDICALERT do watches and bracelets the watches are dear mind they cost about ?100 but the bracelet costs about ?40 to buy and then you pay ?20 a year to register your details of your illness with the company .The bracelet is engraved with your illness and any medication you might be on and a phone number should anything happen to you .I am diabetic and wear one all the time no problems yet touch wood but when i was in hospital last year a nurse asked me why i was wearing 2 watches and pointing to my bracelet i found that unbelievable and told her so

Archived